LP13: (Non) Event Horizon: Choose Your Own Adventure!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i surely will, it's u2.
but i would feel more confortable to enjoy the music that the band wanted us to enjoy in the first place instead of the music that the band submitted to a corporate board to be approved for a promotional event.
It's brands using each other's popularity.
Apple will have as little to say over U2's music as U2 will have to say about the design of the new iPhone

:huh:

Apple usually has a live stream available on their website for major announcements.

Yes, Apple has been streaming these events for a while now, and they would have them archived on the main page for a few days.

Thanks. :up:

Hard to believe, but IF (big, big, big "if") this ends up being true, we'd be a mere 16 days away, at most, from an album.

This song literally came on my Pandora when I started reading through this thread. The boys want album sales. Each iPhone 6 sale would count towards that. No one is not going to buy an iPhone 6 just because U2 has a pre-loaded album on it.

It is all about numbers. Everything counts in large amounts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-gK-9EIq4

This is absolutely NOT true. If it's preloaded on iphones, it will not count at all towards album sales. albums need to be purchased either in a physical medium or a paid download to count. That's it.

If this were the case, they would break the record for 1st week sales by over 100%. They would chart with over 3 million sold in the first week!

Doesn't work that way.

Every free album givin will only take away from potential sales in my opinion unless they do it in a creative way that would still make people purchase it in some way.

The thing that i don't get is the idea if releasing an album 7 months before the start of the new tour.(if the rumour of a late April kick off is true)

I guess it's the start of the Guy Oseary era.Hope he knows what he's doing.

People will still be buying the iPhone 6 well into next year due to contracts/upgrade eligibility. A lot of people also wait for bugs to be sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's brands using each other's popularity.
Apple will have as little to say over U2's music as U2 will have to say about the design of the new iPhone

:huh:
What? No one's issue is that they think Apple will literally have an impact on the songwriting or production. It's about the perception of a) U2 needing to hitch themselves to a brand in the first place and b) U2 being perfectly fine endorsing a company that has a lot of critics for their dubious ethics.

I also would prefer another way of release since I'm not an Apple fan and don't use Apple products, but I think it would be a clever marketing coup for U2 to do that and, like others have said, right now I only want new music, with our without the Apple connection. And the Apple tie-in isn't new, U2 and Bono in particular have had a close relationship to Apple over the years, so it's not like U2 is doing something totally new and shocking. It would actually make much sense.

Still, I'm not convinced it's happening.

What? No one's issue is that they think Apple will literally have an impact on the songwriting or production. It's about the perception of a) U2 needing to hitch themselves to a brand in the first place and b) U2 being perfectly fine endorsing a company that has a lot of critics for their dubious ethics.

you're right - but does anyone outside the fan community really care anymore?

The thing that i don't get is the idea if releasing an album 7 months before the start of the new tour.(if the rumour of a late April kick off is true)

U2 don't need any sort of new album, single, or anything to sell out a tour. The excitement will be there whether U2 releases their worst first single ever (see, 5 years ago), or an excellent one.

it's simple. They release the second album in March 2015 :wink:

Fairly common.

What? No one's issue is that they think Apple will literally have an impact on the songwriting or production.

well, apparently one person does

i surely will, it's u2.
but i would feel more confortable to enjoy the music that the band wanted us to enjoy in the first place instead of the music that the band submitted to a corporate board to be approved for a promotional event.

So.... in the last few months have I missed any of the following:

1>. Beach Clips
2>. Album Release date
3>. Single, and video of said single
4>. Tour Announcement
5>. Tix Presale

:hyper:

another thing to consider: they survived hitching themselves to the ipod in 2004. any perceived backlash was shortlived. would it be any different for the phone in 2014?

So.... in the last few months have I missed any of the following:

1>. Beach Clips
2>. Album Release date
3>. Single, and video of said single
4>. Tour Announcement
5>. Tix Presale

:hyper:

you heard the July beach clip?

If this is true, it's kind of a downer. U2 is achieving "relevance" by hitching itself to Apple, in which case the quality of music becomes secondary. It's like buying your way onto the New York Times bestseller list.

I'm not sure how that analogy works?

This is absolutely NOT true. If it's preloaded on iphones, it will not count at all towards album sales. albums need to be purchased either in a physical medium or a paid download to count. That's it.

If this were the case, they would break the record for 1st week sales by over 100%. They would chart with over 3 million sold in the first week!

Doesn't work that way.

Every free album givin will only take away from potential sales in my opinion unless they do it in a creative way that would still make people purchase it in some way.

Then by that rational, I think the first Single will be pre-loaded or streamable for free on all iPhone 6, then contain a link to download the full album on iTunes at a discount price...that strategy makes more sense I think...

if true, the album is dead. or at least U2 thinks so.

and maybe rightly so. no one buys them anymore. they don't make money. so turning the album into an app (or something) is a way to get 11-12 songs into someone's daily rotation of music, with the hopes that the music is inspiring enough to get someone to purchase a concert ticket, or older albums.

so, if true, U2 is actually doing what everyone in here wants them to do: not worry about album sales. this reminds me of how Prince, i believe, gave away free albums with every concert ticket purchased on one of his latest tours.

kiss the future.

I'm willing to wager if this single drops next week it will be the one they frantically scrambled to get out of Tedder.

Then by that rational, I think the first Single will be pre-loaded or streamable for free on all iPhone 6, then contain a link to download the full album on iTunes at a discount price...that strategy makes more sense I think...

Maybe the strategy is based on how many people would listen the new album and not merely on sales.

well, apparently one person does

yes i do.

what is so unusual in a corporate approving the music associated to the promotion and advertising of their products?

shall i believe that they would blindly allow that the music would be something in the line of elvis ate america, crashed car, zoo station... or even bad or heartland... just because is u2?

i surely will, it's u2.

That's completely ridiculous. Believe me, U2 is at a point where they don't "submit" their music for approval by anyone. They will still deliver the music they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom