Lottery system for GA oval/pit/heart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SFGAL

The Fly
I hardly go onto the u2.com boards... but I am really bored at work right now and read this:

"A good source has advised me that the GA system this tour will have a random drawing for those trying to get into the Oval/Pit.

The information that I have heard is. No lineups prior till 3p at any venue. U2 / The venue management will start handing out wristbands for about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.

Then there will be a random drawing . People will line up in numerical order, via the random number drawn.

Anybody arriving after the drawing, will line up behind those already holding a wristband.

It sounds pretty fair. Once again this is not confirmed! But I heard Springsteen did the same thing last tour. And it worked very well."

Anyways... I'm always suspicious of anyone who writes 'A good source' but I sure hope this ISN'T the case.

I hate lotteries and I will end up at the back of the line because that is the sort of luck I have.

Anyone else have any info. on this?

God... so now I'm actually trying to read the responses to this post on u2.com.... but i have a problem...

MY EYES HURT!

How the hell do ppl read that font?? Its tiny!

Ah screw it... I'm just gonna stay here becuause I don't need a headache.

Well, I read that also over at U2.com, but after everyone freaked out over my last post regarding a thread over there I decided not to touch this topic with a 10ft pole.

I expect the "freaking out" posts to begin shortly.:|

SFGAL said:
I hardly go onto the u2.com boards... but I am really bored at work right now and read this:

"A good source has advised me that the GA system this tour will have a random drawing for those trying to get into the Oval/Pit.

The information that I have heard is. No lineups prior till 3p at any venue. U2 / The venue management will start handing out wristbands for about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.

Then there will be a random drawing . People will line up in numerical order, via the random number drawn.

Anybody arriving after the drawing, will line up behind those already holding a wristband.

It sounds pretty fair. Once again this is not confirmed! But I heard Springsteen did the same thing last tour. And it worked very well."

Anyways... I'm always suspicious of anyone who writes 'A good source' but I sure hope this ISN'T the case.

I hate lotteries and I will end up at the back of the line because that is the sort of luck I have.

Anyone else have any info. on this?

I hope this is not the case...I took have rotten luck with lotteries!

I honestly think it will be like last tour. I just don't see how u2 management is going to get that involved in that aspect of the venue, they never have before. Frankly that would be more expensive for them because that involves training starff i.e. venue/security staff to adhere to this procedure at each venue. Who is going to make sure that this is followed for every venue?
Each venue staff/management runs things differently because each venue hires different companies to run the event.

Doesn't make sense. What's the point of a concert if you can't experience it with your friends? You mean that we're not going to get to stand together because it's all going to be random? I just cannot see U2 doing this.

Maybe I better sell my GA tickets now while I still have the chance... :huh:

that thread is UGLY over at u2.com - there is going to be loads of speculation before the opening night - best to just wait it out - and take deep breaths:wink:

fmattyh said:
Doesn't make sense. What's the point of a concert if you can't experience it with your friends? You mean that we're not going to get to stand together because it's all going to be random? I just cannot see U2 doing this.

Maybe I better sell my GA tickets now while I still have the chance... :huh:

I'll happily take them for you.

Yeah, if there is a lottery, there will not be a shortage of GA's.

My 8 will be up for grabs.

lol! overreacting is one of the most entertaining things to witness. feel lucky you even have tickets.

Well, whatever, if that's what they want to do, then they can do it, but I'll never be spending so much $$ on U2 concerts again :shrug:

mikal said:
lol! overreacting is one of the most entertaining things to witness. feel lucky you even have tickets.
The thing is, if they're going with a lottery, I will happily sell mine on eBay and buy nosebleed seats instead. GAs are not worth $200 to me if I can't be guaranteed a spot near the front and with my friends. If it's all the luck of the draw and I can't stand with my friends, I will happily take the money and just get nosebleeds instead. At least that way I can experience the concert with the people I want.

Still though, I don't think any of this will actually happen. Just a rumor started by someone who wants something to talk about...

Wouldn't that defeat the whole GA for fans thing? Isn't that what infuriated U2 to begin with? They wanted their fans to have them. Then the true U2 fans that come to the show hours ahead of everyone else will have to be in a lottery. Sounds like nothing more than a rumor.

I can guarantee you that a lottery won't happen.

way too many variables and too easy to manipulate.
Keep in mind those that would run this won't care.. the band can't afford anymore bad publicity about the tour.

way more work than is necessary.

it wont happen, I promise. This isnt the first time U2 has done GA people, remember that.

it has been common in Europe for years and years..

It sounds very complicated indeed, I would be very fed up if I went to the gig with my wife, queued up all day, and then found that we could not enjoy the gig together.

Mind you, this is the same tour that won't allow me to purchase tickets for London & Manchester without risking having them both cancelled :huh:

trainspotter said:
It sounds very complicated indeed, I would be very fed up if I went to the gig with my wife, queued up all day, and then found that we could not enjoy the gig together.

I've never been to a concert with a lottery, but TM did one for buying the tickets and if it's the same way, you wouldn't be split up. What they did for us is give everyone a ticket going down the line and the tickets were in numerical order. Then a random cashier drew one matching ticket. That ticket is first in line and everyone in front of that person already goes to the back, in the same order. Everyone who shows up after the draw continues lining up in the back. So, they didn't actually change the order of the line, just who was first.

If they do a lottery, they should give out the numbers to groups, not individuals. What I mean is that two people attending the show together go in under one number. That way, they aren't split up.

martha said:
Is everything that's posted in Zootopia a crappy rumor?

It's either that or intense fighting, insulting, and unbelievably weird shit.

It's actually very entertaining, you venture over there for a good laugh.:huh:

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:
It's actually very entertaining, you venture over there for a good laugh.:huh:

If you can read it and figure out what the hell's going on, that is.

Back
Top Bottom