LOST: The Final Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like how they can't kill themselves. Neither Sayid nor Jin seemed to have any problems with that one.
But hasn't it been implied that once Sayid "died" (or whatever you call what happened to him in the temple) that he's no longer a candidate? And as far as Jin goes, maybe he wasn't the candidate, maybe it was Sun - that was never made clear.

Was it ever said the candidates can't kill themselves? I always understood that that rule applied particularly to Richard and came with his gift of eternal youth.

It was stated indirectly. Jacob's touch prevents them from killing themselves. Remember back when Michael was trying to off himself? Same deal with Locke, last season.

It was stated indirectly. Jacob's touch prevents them from killing themselves. Remember back when Michael was trying to off himself? Same deal with Locke, last season.

Also, when Jack was about to jump off the bridge, but was prevented by seeing the car crash, and going to help.

eta -

Yay!! My daughter told me that Lindeloff just tweeted to make sure to watch Kimmel tonight. I'm sure that must be why, so now we don't have to watch.

I still really wish that it were a three-hour finale, but am very, very happy that ABC has decided to give us/the show an extra 30 minutes. I feel that after so many seasons of such good ratings, it deserves at least a little something extra. All the finales have been two hours (in fact, the season 4 finale was a 3-parter, although the last two hours of it constituted the finale in broadcast terms), and I can't say that I really care about an extra-long recap show, you know? 30 minutes is a good, actual bonus. Again, I don't give a shit about a rebroadcast of the pilot, featuring characters who've been dead or off of the show for like 5 times as long as they were actually in the cast. I'm really happy about this announcement.

Yeah, absolutely! I'm critical because I care so much, if you know what I mean. I get really disappointed by the show when it (oh, so often :wink:) fails to live up to itself.

Is Frank dead? Seems likely but not explicitely shown.

Major suckage that Sayid went out like some punk, but other than his centric episode earlier this season he's had very little to do. And along with Jin and Sun clocking out this week, there aren't many original survivors left at all now.

Nooooooo :sad: :sad:

I was a bawling mess. :reject: :lol: I knew that not everyone would survive, but still. So heartbreaking. But as you said, VP, at least they'll live on in the Sideways world. I wonder how that's going to work now, and how they're going to explain all of that. Oof. My head hurts too.

Good to read in that Vancouver Sun article that there are going to be no more promos with new footage. :up:

Jin and Sun are not dead.

The real Jin and Sun would have conversed with each other in Korean.
this must have been a flash sideways

Their first language is Korean. Especially Jin's.
Every conversation they had since they were reunited would have been in Korean. I kept expecting to need to read subtitles. But they kept speaking in English. :huh:

bad writing.

Every conversation they had since they were reunited would have been in Korean. I kept expecting to need to read subtitles. But they kept speaking in English. :huh:

bad writing.

Or, maybe the writers know that due to the majority of the audience, they need to pick and choose the parts where they use subtitles very carefully and sparingly? Not that it matters. Your goal seems to be finding something that disproves the story telling ability of the writers/creators, rather than enjoying the ride here on out.

And you would have thought she would have wanted him to survive to raise their daughter.

My daughter said the same thing right after the sequence - and it crossed my mind during it, too. She did tell him to leave multiple times, and he didn't listen. Should she have mentioned their daughter to convince him? Probably. But I'm willing to let stuff like that slide, as long as the other 95% of the show remains stellar.

And you would have thought she would have wanted him to survive to raise their daughter.

bad writing.

You are right, she would have told him he had to go and live, for the daughter.

All this.

Or, maybe the writers know that due to the majority of the audience, they need to pick and choose the parts where they use subtitles very carefully and sparingly?

They sure didn't use it carefully and sparingly at the beginning of the show, when the audience was a lot larger and probably less-likely overall to sit through subtitled scenes. By contrast, I don't think the current audience are casual viewers, and considering all the things that people have had to carry in their heads and figure out this whole time, reading a few subtitles is going to frustrate anyone invested in these characters.

I'm also not happy about MIB being finally exposed as a flat-out villain, which definitely removes the shading from the whole Jacob conflict.

This episode had a lot happen, but I think most of it was handled pretty sloppily. The off-island stuff was better, but not by much.

At least Sayid went out with class, though considering how much gravitas accompanied Charlie's demise it still seems cheap by comparison.

I'm also not happy about MIB being finally exposed as a flat-out villain, which definitely removes the shading from the whole Jacob conflict.

Agreed with all of your post, but wanted to quote this in particular. I pretty much agree, but think that A) For me, it's good to really know for sure what's going on with good/bad, since, after 5+ years and with very little time left, I'm okay with knowing what I'm supposed to be rooting for/against; and B) You still never really know what's going to happen, you know? Especially with how back-and-forth the writing can be. The previews for next week's episode suggest that we'll be getting some answers in regards to this conflict between Jacob and Nameless Bob, so maybe they'll add back in at least some of that shading...?

I know what you mean, though. I still think it's nice to know FOR SURE (even though it has seemed incredibly obvious for a while, like I said and we've all said, at one point or another...things can randomly and for seemingly no reason change at the drop of a hat, so you're never really sure of where things sit) what's up, but definitely found the gray areas (lol!) of the Jacob/Dude conflict to be interesting. We'll see. Fingers crossed, right? If nothing else, I'm hoping that Jacob will eventually be confirmed as the douchebag I think he is, and that Jack'll just be like, "Yo, fuck this, after all. I'm re-flip-flopping. Let's smash some more magical mirrors and blow this popsicle stand. Kate, I still love you. Or something. I don't know. Anyway, let's ride!" Seems to me like Jacob has caused at least as much misery as Smokie, even if he hasn't really killed anybody or been as active about it.

Pretty poor episode...

One thing I couldn't help but think of, was why is Lost sticking to the typical formula of killing off the minorities first...:shrug:

and they weren't even wearing red shirts

So i think the ending will be Jack sitting on the beach with Locke and Locke saying he so wants to kill him.

I wonder if Jacob must have been a candidate at some point and that's why MIB can't kill him, he had to use Ben to do it.

It was all one big game between the two of them. And now with Jacob dead, there needs to be a replacement or MIB can get off the island.

bad writing.

Fully agree. It was bad enough that Jin learned so much English by the 2nd season, but this was just unnecessary, and hearing them speak in American accents to each other was weird. Also, their deaths weren't that moving. Sayid's just felt pathetic. Then again, all the deaths, except Charlie's and Boone's, have been really lame and poorly handled dramatically. The French woman wasn't really fleshed out and she was supposed to mostly be cool, but her death was super lame -- so lame I expected her to be resurrected just like I did Ben's daughter and Claire and Jin (was right about those 2). Michael had perhaps the lamest death; I really liked his character in Seasons 1 and 2 and they ruined him by having his son be an unforgiving prick.

Still, the most enjoyable episode this season for me, considering I've been severely disappointed since the Season 4 finale; I only got to see this finale when I bought the Season 4 DVD set because I missed it on air because I went to a Cure concert. So, I bought on DVD set too many.

I just want to know the end so I can debate with fans and I still like aspects of Jack and Locke.

I may have figured out the (an) ending
that many people will not like

but it is the best and most plausible (less of a joke) to me.

They sure didn't use it carefully and sparingly at the beginning of the show, when the audience was a lot larger and probably less-likely overall to sit through subtitled scenes. By contrast, I don't think the current audience are casual viewers, and considering all the things that people have had to carry in their heads and figure out this whole time, reading a few subtitles is going to frustrate anyone invested in these characters.

I know what you mean. I just think that given the gravity of the scenes lately where people have been particularly critical about the English being spoken rather than Korean (the reunion scene, and last night) that the writers made the call that subtitling may take some of the audience out of the drama.

I don't know. To me at least, it's not that big of a deal.

If nothing else, I'm hoping that Jacob will eventually be confirmed as the douchebag I think he is, and that Jack'll just be like, "Yo, fuck this, after all. I'm re-flip-flopping. Let's smash some more magical mirrors and blow this popsicle stand. Kate, I still love you. Or something. I don't know. Anyway, let's ride!" Seems to me like Jacob has caused at least as much misery as Smokie, even if he hasn't really killed anybody or been as active about it.

:up:

All this.

Your points are well made. It is insulting to say the audience is not smart enough or patient enough to read sub-titles. Especially when the larger audience did it the whole first season.

Professional reviewers are picking up on this an including it in their reviews of this episode. Also the point that Jin and Sun both forgot they had a baby as they knew they were dying is being written about, too. It seems at this point the writers know some people will accept anything they throw up on the screen (myself included) just because we want to finish this series. It does not mean we can not critique the weak points of the show, while going along with the rest of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom