Lola's at it again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2Kitten said:
..and again, you all ignore mine! :sexywink:

Maybe you don't think my points are good. And maybe I don't think theirs are. Oh well! :shrug:

Can you say them again? I asked some questions on the previous page that were ignored. I'm interested in reading your answers.....

U2Kitten said:
If you all want to see what average rock fans really think of Bono, I dare you to start a pro Bono thread here:

Unfortunately, I don't think the average rock fan could point to Zimbabwe on a map.

Their opinions are not what should shape this world. It's those like Bono that are man or woman enough to rise above that, put themselves outside the box (someone here once wrote a poem years ago about Bono and said he's not afraid to step outside the box and draw his own circle - I'll never forget this line), those that will go out of their way to empathize and be compassionate that should be leading us forward and challenging us to grow. Popular opinion never got us anywhere. If popular opinion was what really mattered, blacks would be hung, Jews put in camps, and religious zealots writing foreign policy. The world doesn't get better when we all sit on our hands and watch.

If you even ask those questions you have obviously missed everything I intended to convey if you even ask those things. I get so flustered every time I read the posts and everyone cheering the wrong things. It makes me :banghead: :rolleyes: :tsk: It's hopeless. Let's just not discuss it anymore.

U2Kitten said:
If you even ask those questions you have obviously missed everything I intended to convey if you even ask those things. I get so flustered every time I read the posts and everyone cheering the wrong things. It makes me :banghead: :rolleyes: :tsk: It's hopeless. Let's just not discuss it anymore.

I asked you if I was understanding you correctly and posted what I understand you are trying to say. Was I on or off?

kafrun said:

Who CARES what other people think :happy:

That is the whole issue here: if you want people to support you and help your cuse, you HAVE to!!

Go ahead and worship your wonderful, perfect Bono all you want. Live in a dream world. I am a fan too you know, and I have thought this stuff all along but never had the guts to say it. You all just plain don't want to think there is any value to anything I'm saying, so there is no need to even bother. I don't care anymore.

Liesje said:

I asked you if I was understanding you correctly and posted what I understand you are trying to say. Was I on or off?

So far off my hands would ache to type the novel length responses.

U2Kitten said:

So far off my hands would ache to type the novel length responses.

So....you're not saying Bono's a hypocrite? See, I'm confused b/c each post seems to bring up an entirely different point and they're kind of canceling out each other.

U2Kitten said:

That is the whole issue here: if you want people to support you and help your cuse, you HAVE to!!

Go ahead and worship your wonderful, perfect Bono all you want. Live in a dream world. I am a fan too you know, and I have thought this stuff all along but never had the guts to say it. You all just plain don't want to think there is any value to anything I'm saying, so there is no need to even bother. I don't care anymore.

thats right we all think Bono is perfect and live in a dream world as you say... :banghead: :yes: that's it exactly, you nailed it there with that in depth observation..

U2Kitten said:

But what does this mean? :huh: Bono doesn't actually care about Africa, that's what you're saying?

U2Kitten said:

And the people who should care DO care. People on the message board you linked to are hardly the people we should be concerned with. When anyone reaches the level that Bono has reached, you're going to have opinions going in every direction. It's unavoidable. Why work yourself into a tizzy over the people who don't bother to educate themselves? There will always be a few. The people like Lies and countless others who have got involved are what it's all about.

U2Kitten said:

Disclaimer: I do NOT personally feel he is doing it to gain fame.

But let me tell you about someone who does. While I was waiting in the very long Baltimore GA line in 2001, I met this lady who was a surgeon (nice to get enough time off from emergencies to sit all day in a GA line and see a concert!) and she told me she was convinced Bono was doing his Africa stuff to get a place in the history books for something besides music. She did not mean that he did not really care, only that a place in history seemed very important to him over this. You know how he is always listing the things our age will be remembered for? She thinks he wants to be a part of that. Something- besides his music- to live on after him.

While far from a band "insider", because of her high income level she was able to travel in the same circles, stay at the same hotels, and party at the same places as the band. She had met Bono many times, in casual way, just part of a group in a resturant or something. She had been following the band since the beginning when she was still in med school. That was her honest opinion. At the time I was shocked by it, but she was not, and did not think any less of him for it, it was just a matter of fact to her. She loved him and the band just the same. But think, if a diehard fan can think that of him, can you expect Joe Blow on the street to give him any more benefit of doubt?

If she had paid attention to Bono's interviews she would know that the reason he goes on and on about a place in history is that that is something that appeals to polititions and other powerful people. Face it, many, many people in this world will not be motivated to act unless they get something out of it. Bono is very good at showing those people what they can get out of it so that they will act. Who gives a shit WHY they act as long as they do it. Even if she is right and he is doing it for that reason, SO WHAT. He has accomplished more in the last six years than ANYONE even the people who brought him into this could ever have imagined. 36 countries have had debts cancelled, something like 15 million more kids are going to school because of debt cancellation, etc. THAT is what is important. People who want to bash Bono as an excuse not to get involved are not going to change their minds no matter what Bono does. I am ever so glad that he doesn't live his life trying to placate people like that. He has also said repeatedly that yes, it is ridiculous for him to go on about this shit and as soon as someone comes along to do a better job of it he'll be more than happy to go back to being nothing more than a spoiled rock star.

My problem with statements you made previously and with the things you relate from other people is that you and they have a lot of facts wrong. Which can be cleared up in probably 15-20 minutes of research with Google. You are entitled to your opinion, yes but when you have facts wrong you will get corrected. If you are going to argue about something having your facts straight is a must. Too many people in this world spout off about everything under the sun without bothering to do any investigating of their own, then get pissed off or refuse to believe when someone corrects them. That is what I object to.

Dana

Liesje said:

But what does this mean? :huh: Bono doesn't actually care about Africa, that's what you're saying?

:banghead: x 100000 :scream:

NOOOOOOO!

nosig.jpg

bawling.gif

I mean that if he turns people off, THEY won't take him seriously and THEY won't care, and that is against everything he's working for!

I will try to explain why every single thing you think I said is wrong, but I'm too tired tonight. Really, I'd rather just drop it. Nothing is going to help anyway.

Michelle, I think you really need to go back and read what people have been saying in response to your comments. There have been many well thought out replies, but you give no indication that you've actually read or absorbed them. The last several pages of this thread have consisted mainly of people trying to respond to your comments. In each case, you have not engaged them back in any meaningful way. Please take some time to reflect. Seriously. And don't just say that people are ignoring your remarks. They haven't. They may disagree with you, but that's not the same thing. However, you have indeed ignored just about every legitimate point that has been made by others.

You are acting like a baby. I know you can do better, no? Surely you can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom