Larrys decline on the fly!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just seen the fly from boston now and its almost a new song. Very dance.

Someone mentioned Lady with the spinning head before, now if you listen to the '05 live version not only the drums, but also the bass are very similar to the known versions of Lady with the spinning head (including the achtung baby bootleg one)

My guess is that for this tour U2 went back to the original version, even before it was "the fly". It's not a decline in drumming, just a different pattern.

Melon

phillyfan26 said:
The Fly has only gone downhill, IMO, from its prime on ZooTV. On Elevation we lost the great sound of the guitar we had on ZooTV (probably my favorite), and on Vertigo we lost the Bono voice and great drums.

The ZooTV version was simple to the untrained ear, but the beat he has on the tom-toms is actually quite complicated, and when done right, a great sound for the song.

ZooTV was the best version of The Fly, bar none. The ONLY thing Elevation has going for it is the intro.

But I would argue that comments like these are true for every tour.

That is, new songs sound best on the first tour where they are featured. After that, they always seem to be missing something.

For example, "With or Without You" shined on the JT tour, but really lost something (at least for me) on the ZOO TV tour. It made a bit of a comeback on the Elevation tour, but it still wasn't anywhere near as good as the original performances. Likewise, "Mysterious Ways" was simply outstanding on the ZOO TV tour, but I'm not quite feeling it as much on other tours, including PopMart.

Therefore, it's only natural, IMO, that "The Fly" shined on the ZOO TV tour, but hasn't quite reached those heights since. It seems U2 really emphasizes new material on tours, at the slight expense of the old. They know the old are hits and favorites, so they don't need them to shine quite as much.

There are exceptions to this, of course, but exceptions don't make the rule. One exception, IMO, is "Until the End of the World". I felt that while the ZOO TV version of this was good, it became a show-stopper during the Elevation tour.

Canadiens1160 said:
Larry?
Decline?

Larry doesn't smile, incline, decline, I don't think you can describe L-Mull with any kind of action word.

:lmao: your posts crack me up

L-Mull eh? L-Mull, Lil' B, Ad-C, and ... The Edge. you can't really fuck with that name.

personally I love Vertigo Fly so I guess I don't really see a decline...the drums are simpler perhaps, but they're more hard-hitting, rock 'n roll, driving...I don't know, I dig 'em :shrug: The Fly has always been good. Elevation may actually be my favourite... the intro is gorgeous and when the riff kicks in it's so in-your-face; the whole song seems to rock so much more.

I feel the exact opposite. To me, The Zoo TV version of The Fly was pretty boring. Elevation was a step up, I liked the more stripped down arrangment and the intro. The solo had a different tone, more passionate. Vertigo versions, however, are the absolute best I've ever heard. You just can't beat it. Bono's voice doesn't have to sound amazing, he's The Fly, it fits. Edge's guitar parts here are more pronounced than in previous versions, and the riffs feel more alive. Larry's drumming is just Larry's drumming. He's played practically the same since Zoo TV. It kicks ass though. Long live the Vertigo Fly!

doctorwho said:

That is, new songs sound best on the first tour where they are featured. After that, they always seem to be missing something.

For example, "With or Without You" shined on the JT tour, but really lost something (at least for me) on the ZOO TV tour. It made a bit of a comeback on the Elevation tour, but it still wasn't anywhere near as good as the original performances. Likewise, "Mysterious Ways" was simply outstanding on the ZOO TV tour, but I'm not quite feeling it as much on other tours, including PopMart.

I would say sometimes the basslines on newer versions of older songs have been improved.

Check out "With or Without You" on the "Please" single for example. "Mysterious Ways" sounds much better bass-wise on the Vertigo tour, especially with the added slides that weren't done on the ZooTV tour.

doctorwho said:

Therefore, it's only natural, IMO, that "The Fly" shined on the ZOO TV tour, but hasn't quite reached those heights since. It seems U2 really emphasizes new material on tours, at the slight expense of the old. They know the old are hits and favorites, so they don't need them to shine quite as much.

There are exceptions to this, of course, but exceptions don't make the rule. One exception, IMO, is "Until the End of the World". I felt that while the ZOO TV version of this was good, it became a show-stopper during the Elevation tour.

I began reading your post and said to myself, "Well, except for Until the End of the World." Just so happens we feel the same! Vertigo UTEOTW is their best. My favorite performances from Vertigo are these.

schnumi said:
Does anyone have a good version of UTEOTW from the Vertigo tour for me?

If you post this in Music on the internet and leave your email
I'm sure someone will respond . :yes:

Zoo TV has the best versions of all the Achtung Baby songs, except maybe UTEOFTW. The Fly version from Zoo TV is easily the best, from the drum intro.....properly played by Mullen with real rhythm instead of the half assed play it like every other drummer versions on Elevation on Vertigo. Then the solo, played properly on Zoo TV, with wah wah and not played with a semi acoustic guitar like from Chicago. Yes if they like changing things around from tour to tour then thats ok and messing with different sounds for songs BUT no one is going to tell me that The Fly sounds better in these newer live versions. Part of the reason the song sounded so great, originally, was all down to the rhythm of the song especially the drums and the sound of the drums. This has been totally lost on newer versions.

i think larrys drumming on the veritgo tour is much better than his work on pop and elevation tours. listen 2 UTEOW on vertigo tour..and i find the way that larry has re-invented the drums on vertigo version of the fly to be much more interesting

u guys are gettin really bored out there now do u? larry decline on vertigo? o-0

i mean come on, the vertigo fly is a lot nicer that the zoo era, has more power in it, and a better, fresher quality.

i played both dvds simultaneously (yes i am that mad) and the vertigo tour is by far greater that the zootv one

ok i admit maybe the drum line is a lil simpler than what it used to be, but sometimes less is more :wink:

i honestly dont really like the Zoo TV Fly...for me its a copy of the album version...its a great song...but i'd heard it...Elevation Fly is 5 minutes of pure rock...U2 at their best, having a harder feel. Vertigo Fly was back to the wah wah, but alot more complicated a much more classic but reinvented feel. Fly from San Paolo is THE definate Vertigo Fly...and Larrys drums are amazing...especially the finale!

You all should check the Washington DC ZooTV show, for those who haven't seen it. Larry's drumming is the most on-point I've ever heard it. Imagine the Rattle and Hum drumming of WoWY, but applied to all the Achtung songs. He pushes all the songs forward, unlike the more sloppy, tired drumming from Sydney, over a year later.

The Fly from DC kicks ass and is inspired. The Fly from Sydney is only so-so in comparison.

bono_man2002 said:
Bono's Decline on the fly is worse

This response generates a "WTF?" reply from me.

How on earth is Bono's vocals "worse" on a song that he basically whispers? Now we are commenting that his "whisper" isn't "powerful or rich" enough? Man!

In concert, this is almost a spoken word song for him - almost rap-like. There's a little singing, but barely any straining for notes. One of my favorite versions of "The Fly" comes from a Boston show, where Edge rips off this fantastic echo-effect filled intro and Bono sounds just like he did on ZOO TV. Admittedly, U2 seemed a tad rusty on the song (Bono repeated one line of the lyrics), but it sounded great.

Now, is it as good as ZOO TV? I often find that U2 seems more energized playing their newest songs on any given tour. JT songs sounded more alive on the JT tour. R&H songs were more alive on the Love Town tour. AB songs were more alive on the ZOO TV tour, and so on. Conversely, sometimes older songs lose a bit. "With or Without You" on the ZOO TV tour seemed very, very weak, IMO. So perhaps "The Fly" did lose a bit on the Vertigo Tour compared to ZOO TV, but it's not anything nearly as bad as some of you are writing.

Poor laurence. I recall years ago, a story about larry maybe having to give up drumming coz of probs wi his hands. Now his back. Legz next i wonder?

ZooTV by a million miles. Watch the 3 DVD's of just that song back to back and tell me again that either Elevation or Vertigo are even close.

coolian2 said:

Please don't call other people liars just for stating an opinion you disagree with.

U2Man, please stop acting like a moderator. Feel free to report posts to us, and we'll handle it.

Earnie Shavers said:
ZooTV by a million miles. Watch the 3 DVD's of just that song back to back and tell me again that either Elevation or Vertigo are even close.
vertigo's blow elevations and ZooTv's out of the water

there i just told you.

Earnie Shavers said:

completely agree :up:

ZooTV version is ok. Elevation version a little better. Vertigo version make me jump in the chair. Love it. Blows the others away.

Isn't it just a personal opinion? The thing that I love about Vertigo version, is ironically the drums.

Back
Top Bottom