June 25, 2010 - Glastonbury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I agree that Stevie Wonder's material from the 70s being top quality, 80s+90s+00s+10s does technically = four decades of being a "tremendous bore"

I don't think the 10s count yet, considering we're not even halfway through 2010 yet.

But I was wondering if that person was just suffering from math fail and meant from the 80s on ... which is only 30 years.

i suggest we start a petition for Mofo to open the set.
anyone with me? could amount to nothing but it's damn well worth a try. like many of us have said Mofo would be fucking incredible. :drool:

failing a petition we could all just email U2's official site. bombard them with the suggestion. i'm serious.

So I'm conflicted. I was planning to see U2 in Torino in August but I had to shift my vacation to late June / early July (friend getting married in Germany).

I was initially excited about trying to catch them in Glastonbury, but now I'm a little unsure. Between the extra cost of flying to London, getting to Glastonbury, paying for hotel, tickets, etc., I'm wondering if the show will be worth it. I'm expecting a shorter set list (possibly as short as an hour), plus a set list of crowd pleasers.

Would my money be better spent seeing them elsewhere on the 360 tour?

wait, you have a ticket to the festival right? If not, I hate to tell you this but the festival's been sold out since October. some tickets were released this month after people didn't pay their full balance but yeah that's it unless there is the supposed 'hush hush' re-sale after the final cancellation window closes in May.

I'm assuming you've not looked into Glastonbury headliners before by the way? It's nothing as drastic as U2 being given one hour trust me. :huh: Like pretty much most festivals the headliner is given a slot to play a full set. 20+ songs for your average band. U2 wouldn't agree to have all their gear brought over to England from America for one night to be given a one-hour slot and for a fraction of their usual paycheck. :wink:

I actually don't have a ticket but I imagine that given the large supply, a scalped one can be purchased at a reasonable price?

^ No chance. Glastonbury have really clamped down on scalped tickets in recent years, leading the way some would argue for the rest of the ticketing industry to follow. Each ticket is personalised with your details and photograph on it, therefore eliminating scores of tickets showing up on ebay.

haha yeah forgot to mention that as well, like Mikey says, absolutely no chance unless someone selling a ticket looks just like you ;) and even before the (REALLY fucking successful) photo/personal details ticket system, scalpers were hardly reasonable on ebay or wherever :huh:

I would try checking the website for details of the next resale in May. Its definitely worth a try..Glastonbury is amazing, there is no other festival quite like it. Apart from U2 there will be plenty of other acts you will like, as well as comedy, circus, the stone circle for a beautiful view of the site below and to watch the sunrise, the dance village,the healing fields and all sorts of weird and wonderful things going on 24 hours a day. You don't have to pay for a hotel - you bring your tent!

Mmm, you could keep checking but on their website it is saying 'Tickets are now completely sold out' which sounds pretty conclusive.

Yeah it does seem pretty conclusive. However, registration has been opened again leading to people to think that they may have a ridiculously limited amount of tickets re-sold in May after the last few cancellations happen.

It's happened before apparently and it's been unadvertised people have said [i wish I had a link or something because me saying "people say" is useless haha] so it's definitely worth registering and keeping an eye on it, Passanis. In all honesty it's very unlikely and if there ARE a tiny number re-sold it'll be fucking anarchy so register and keep watch :hmm:

I got tickets in the tiny May resale a few years ago. You have to check their site *every few hours* every day after the deadline for requests for ticket refunds has passed. There'll not be an announcement, the tickets will quietly be put on sale again until they're sold out. I suspect when word hits this thread about tickets being available again it will probably be too late.

You should also check efestivals.co.uk every day too.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it would be so difficult to get in. I'll check back after May.

In the latest Q magazine it has a little bit of info from Willie Williams that I got very excited about when I read it today -

Sadly, the claw won't be putting in an appearance at Worthy Farm when U2 headline Glastonbury in June but Williams promises an extra-special, hit-packed performance. "I'm thinking about what you'd want to see if you were only going to see U2 once in your life", he says. "I can start from scratch with the setlist and build a one-off show for the British audience. And don't worry, we will 'launch the pig' at some point."

God knows what 'launch the pig' means! But am very excited about this one-off special show they have planned. Could the lemon make an reappearance? :reject:

There you have it. A hit-packed preformance. Those hoping for a song like Mofo will be dissappointed.

If the lemon made an appearance i would hyperventilate and collapse.

There won't be any more big ticket sales te deadline to pay for ur ticket was march 1st and the resale happened april 12th where i got my tickets and they said thats it (there may be another very small one closer to the date) but yeah its got ur name and photo on it so nigh impossible to scalp!

I'm guessing Willie is making a mention to Pink Floyd with their inflatable pigs they release at concerts and maybe U2 doing something of their own like that? Who knows?!

Also who here is going? I am going with a friend but they're not a big u2 fan and would be good to hang out with some u2 fans on the day waiting for the big event! :D

If scalping is not an option, how difficult is it to "sneak" into the venue? I've seen some outdoor festivals that are pretty easy to get in to.

Anyway, how do they get the photo on the ticket?

Glasto was notorious for years n years as being ridiculously easy to gatecrash. It's a vast site with a very long perimeter. People would tear the fence down and charge others £5 to walk through the gap. Others would use rope ladders or dig tunnels under the fence to enter.

It all got completely out of hand until 2000 when there was an estimated 250,000 people in the festival when the official capacity was 100,000 (I think). It was dangerously cramped. There were also quite a few gangs of dodgy types. (One of my mates got beaten up in a random, unprovoked attack by a few scallies.)

Glasto then closed for a couple of years.

When it reopened it had two perimeter fences, which were impossible to pull down and extended something like six foot under ground to prevent tunnels. There are also regular patrols of the space between the fences by security guards in jeeps. I think there are even watch-towers. All that's missing is the barbed wire and people with machine guns.

But, as much as it seems like a very unGlasto attitude to have all this heavy security: it worked. As far as I know there were no breaches at all of the fence. The first year Glasto reopened there were a few big fights between security and scally gangs outside the fence. People were getting mugged for tickets in the car parks by scallies who couldn't get in illegally.

Long story short: I think Glasto's security will be hard to get past. But maybe it's happened and is being kept very quiet!

You *may* be able to buy a ticket in the car park. Your job then would be to try to blag past the person checking the ticket at the gate. I've heard of boys who got in using girls' tickets and vice versa. The people on the gates are Glasto fans and may just wave you through if your luck is in.

I'd be tempted to try if I was in the UK cos I'd love to see U2 at Glasto, but it'd be a big risk to travel here just to fail to get in!

If the lemon made an appearance i would hyperventilate and collapse.

Also who here is going? I am going with a friend but they're not a big u2 fan and would be good to hang out with some u2 fans on the day waiting for the big event! :D
Yes I'm going..hoping to get to the front..really looking forward to it!

If scalping is not an option, how difficult is it to "sneak" into the venue? I've seen some outdoor festivals that are pretty easy to get in to.

Anyway, how do they get the photo on the ticket?
You have to register in advance. When you register you email or post a photo of yourself.

In the latest Q magazine it has a little bit of info from Willie Williams that I got very excited about when I read it today -

God knows what 'launch the pig' means! But am very excited about this one-off special show they have planned. Could the lemon make an reappearance? :reject:

'Launch the pig' is probably a reference to Pink Floyd's live shows. My guess is they will cover the audience with a gigantic white sheet during 'magnificent'

I don't think they will be able to build any sort of walkway out into the crowd because of the obvious restraints of people already being there in front of the stage. I really am intrigued to see what they will try and do visually.

yeah I really doubt they'll extend the stage to make a B-stage/walkway. That said, Kylie Minogue's stage set in 2005 when she was GOING to headline was going to be accomodated at Glastonbury in some capacity if I remember correctly? There was just going to be a slight extension or something, god knows. But she didn't end up playing because of her health obviously.

As we'll all know, Coldplay enjoy doing a B-stage/"unplugged" not unlike U2. at Glastonbury in 2005 the best they could manage was this
YouTube - Coldplay - Til Kingdom Come - Glastonbury 2005

maybe U2 will just settle ;)

Actually come to think of it didn't they build an extended walkway out to the crowd for Bruce Springsteen? That would be good. The gap between stage and crowd will be unusually large for U2.

Even Better Than The Real Thing @ Glastonbury???

glastonbury.jpg

Read into this what you will - but I found it on the Australian U2 Show web page - looks like EBTTRT might be dusted off this time around! :D

GIGS

I don't want to get too excited because EBTTRT is one of my favourite U2 songs, but does anyone else think this is reliable? Why would they tell us a song they're gonna play? Especially something of a surprise song.

I doubt the tribute band really thought ahead that they might be 'spilling the beans' - so to speak, about EBTTRT being played at Glastonbury - they're probably just excited to have a bit of vision of themselves on the big screen, and posted the info on their website... which I just happened to come across by chance :wink:

Having said that - if it does turn out to be true - well done to U2 on making a good call on song choice - just hope that it sticks around for a while on the next legs of the tour and we see a few more 90's songs pop up too :D

Update on Glastonbury story from atu2.com (off the record column)

When U2 takes a break next month to play the Glastonbury Festival, it looks like they'll be playing "Even Better Than the Real Thing." On their web site, the Australian U2 Show tribute band says that video footage of their band will be shown on the video screens at Glastonbury as U2 performs "Even Better...." I emailed the band a couple days ago, and Gary Morris responded with this info:

Just under two weeks ago I was contacted by Dublin production company, Blinker Ltd, asking for permission a) to use footage of us and b) asking for high quality copies of our footage ASAP. Not quite sure if it was legit (we get alot of mail from praise to 'how dare you try and be U2'), I uploaded a selection of our Zoo TV footage and a Bono sculpture I did and we crossed our fingers. I've since been informed that our footage has been selected to be screened with U2 during their performance of 'Even Better Than The Real Thing' at the Glastonbury Festival. I've done Tv and radio commercials, fooled alot of people, even performed for the promoter Michael Coppel who brings them down under. I never thought they'd do us this honour.

If all this pans out, it'll be U2's first performance of "Even Better..." since June 9, 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom