July 16th, 17th, 2010 - Montreal - Hippodrome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? What's up with the hippodrome? What part of town? Any other concerts been there? That's quite an investment to earn between $6 and $10 million or so.

Sorry for all the ???s. I'm coming from Virginia, wondering what I'm in for.

Montreal people... what's the closest hotel?

I'm not from Montreal, but know the city relatively well.

How long are both of you planning to stay in Montreal? If you're planning to stay for a three days or more, I would suggest staying somewhere either near the Old Town, in Mont Royal, or the French Quarter around St. Denis and St. Laurent. There are more things to do in this area than to stay around the Hippodrome, although the Hippodrome isn't far from Mont Royal.

Well, just for the expense to the band and GEG of building the entire structure, I would imagine they're hoping that sales are brisk enough to add a second show.

And so am I. :wink:

Yes! Great point. They're literally banking on a second show, I'm sure.

The venue actually looks very interesting. I've just been reminded that it's my uncle's birthday on the 16th. We usually have a special party, but maybe I can get him a hat as compensation. :wink:

Wow. $3 million. I knew U2 loved Montreal - and now this proves it. On one hand, if they're investing this much money, it seems that they'd want to get the most out of it, i.e. two shows. On the other hand, if it is going to have a capacity of 60,000 to 80,000 and is in the middle of nowhere, I'm not sure there will be enough demand to warrent 2 shows....

A sell-out will gross $5.5-$8 million though so I guess they reckon the expense will be worth. Whoever had the idea for a filming - sounds like a good one to make it even more worth it...

And I really would not get hopes up for a second show, Montreal has never had one for U2 stadium shows, in this climate I doubt they will do it this time either.

YIPPPEEEE!!!!!

MTL MTL MTL!!

HIPPODROME HIPPODROME HIPPODROME!

This will be epic!

what is that great bagel shop in mont royal? i've been there before but i don't remember the name. as you walk in they have the oven in the middle-back with a tonne of bagels waiting to be hand picked.

i'll be enjoying my time there

120000 to 160000 would be too much for montreal considering they're going to Toronto for the 3rd time

I'm not so certain. Montreal is very much an event-driven city - particularly in the summer time. You only need to look at attendance figures for events like Formula 1 and the tennis tournament - which routinely break attendance records.

Pink Floyd had three 60,000+ shows at the Olympic Stadium during the Division Bell tour, if I'm not mistaken.

This U2 concert is very much an event given its unique location. I have every confidence that it will sell well, and who knows, maybe a second show will be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom