July 11, 2011 - Rogers Centre - Toronto, ON

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am a bit production obsessed, being an ex sound guy, i love to see what goes behind a good production. The Claw fascinated me and i was keeping en eye on the Roger's centre parking lot to keep and eye when the Claw started coming in. So we drove down to Polson peir and I took pictures of the rest of the trucks

You are a crazed fan when you look for the Trucks. But I am too endlessly fascinated by the logitics and production of the claw.

smileymbcastard, I take offense to your comments calling people Line Nazis. They are just people volunteering their time who want to make the line have more integrity. They communicated with security properly and even gave second chances to people.

Usually when there is a dispute, the decison is reached by the peers who have been in line around the person who is in question. The line makes decsions not some fan who think highly of himself or herself. The event sitaution is not perfect but it is an attempt to make it fair.

canedge said:
smileymbcastard, I take offense to your comments calling people Line Nazis. They are just people volunteering their time who want to make the line have more integrity. They communicated with security properly and even gave second chances to people.

Usually when there is a dispute, the decison is reached by the peers who have been in line around the person who is in question. The line makes decsions not some fan who think highly of himself or herself. The event sitaution is not perfect but it is an attempt to make it fair.

Amen canedge.

Canedge-I haven't had someone pull the pregnant card yet, but have had many experiences with people using their poor, short, helpless young children to push their way through. The parents are usually relaxed, clean, dressed up and well rested and have never spent one minute in line!! That drives me nuts!! If they want their kid to see they need to line up or get seats. I did see a very pregnant woman in line- she was at least 7 months. I can't imagine doing GA while pregnant!!

If these people who planted themselves in front of cydewaze and me had even asked if we could see, or made any effort to move a little to the right or left that would be one thing, but they are so ENTITLED and arrogant which is what makes it so much worse.

As for the line starters-I can't understand this ridiculous trend of starting the line 2 days early- it serves no one and is a waste of valuable vacation time! The night before for the hard core, maybe- but 2 days!? For Vertigo I showed up at 6am and got #53! This time I got mid 200s. Was SO pissed. Anyway, I do want to give Tony props for his eagle eyes and confronting these unscrupulous line jumpers so aggressively and effectively! Way to go! :) Kyle the Rogers guy kicked a couple of them out too, which was gratifying. The line itself was very well managed which I am grateful for.

The Fancam camera guy positioned the camera to different sections of the audience and took pictures of the entire audience in the stadium. While the Fancam camera guy was taking his pictures, on stage the various stage technicians were getting ready for U2. First the musical instruments of Interpol were taken off stage. Then the drum technician and bass guitar technician (Stuart and Sam) came on stage and were fine tuning the drums and bass guitar respectively. While this was happening, the light technicians who control the 4 focus spots on each leg of the claw and went up to their crow’s nests locations on the claws legs. Back on stage Dallas Schoo; The Edge’s guitar tech, was sound testing the various guitars and effects that The Edge would use during the show. It was at this point that I think there was a bit of a technical issue, as soon there were 3 technicians on stage along with Dallas and they were all poking around with the guitar pedals that The Edge uses. While there were fiddling with the guitar pedals, Rocko who is Bono’s technician was adjusting the height of the microphone stand. Phil Docherty who is Bono’s guitar technician was also fine tuning Bono’s acoustic guitar. By now the clock was rushing by and it was almost 9pm. On the overhead round screen time from various parts of the world were scrolling across the screen and also statistics about the tour like the output of the generators (450000 watts) and the number of songs played on tour etc.
At about 9:05pm the concert began with Space Oddity sounding over the speakers and the fans in the General Admission (GA) went nuts.

The U2 set opened with an Achtung Baby over load. I loved it as Achtung Baby is one of my favourite albums. The setlist for the opening was as follows:

Even Better Than The Real Thing,

The Fly,

Mysterious Ways - Someone Somewhere In Summertime,

Until the End of the World - Anthem - Bono went a bit nuts at Until the end of the world as he was walking on the ramp connecting the main stage to the B stage (outer circle stage) he started tossing flowers into the audience and then had the typical fit that he does have during this song, before the ramp is pushed towards The Edge who is on the other ramp and they try to make peace.
I really loved the Achtung Baby opening and my location was in such a position that I could easily see Larry Mullen Jr, Bono and Adam and in the far left was The Edge. I enjoy watching The Edge on the guitar usually during a U2 concert, but this time Bono really was into the fans in the GA section and he was urging us on to sing along which we all did in full gusto.

The opening section was followed by:

I Will Follow,

Get On Your Boots,

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For,

Stay, - I was quite surprised to hear this song in the setlist and enjoyed seeing Bono and The Edge together on stage, with the spot lights focussed on them, the rest of the band was off stage.

Beautiful Day, - I really enjoyed this new version. The song begins with Bono talking about Commander Kelly of the international space station and how he would see the earth from space. As Bono says this, the round screen shows a picture of the view of North America from space. Followed by a live satellite link up to the space station where Commander Mark Kelly uses paper cut outs with the following words - 7 billion, one nation, imagination, its a beautiful day. then Commander Kelly says ‘tell my wife i love her very much she knows’. I have always loved Beautiful Day, I loved the music video of the song, with the big jumbo jet on the bridge and in the airport. I am terrified of flying and every time I am at an airport I pray many rosaries and I then sing Beautiful Day, thus I have a very fond attachment to this song. At the end of the new version of Beautiful Day Bono segued into Space oddity and ended with ‘tell my wife I love her so she knows’. This new version makes me feel that if I ever die in a plane crash, this song would most aptly sum up the tragedy.

Elevation,

Pride, - By the end of this song Bono had the whole GA doing the oh, oh, ohs
Miss Sarajevo, 
Zooropa, 
City of Blinding Lights, - During this song, Bono got a little boy up on stage and the boy tried to sing a few words of the song but got a bit of stage fright . The boy though was not too discouraged and continued to wave his hands on stage during the chorus of the song.

Vertigo,

I'll Go Crazy (remix) -Discotheque, - I went a bit nuts when I head discotheque.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, - I like the way that the Bloody Sunday Massacre has been reinterpreted for the civil rights and independence struggles of the Middle East. On a personal note I wonder if a democracy in the middle east will ever be like a Western democracy of the capitalistic, consumeristic sexually permissive type. 

Scarlet,

Walk On - A nice addition to the end of the song is that instead of the masks of Aung San Suu Kyi, we have the lanterns of Amnesty international and the song begins with pictures of Aung San Suu Ski and the situation in Burma.
One, Will You Love Me Tomorrow - Where the Streets Have No Name, - Usually in a U2 show the segue from One to Will you still love me to streets is seamless. However, Bono seemed to be very caught up in emotions and the segue was no as seamless as it usually is. In the GA the energy was at a fever pitch and everyone loved Streets.
There is always a bit of a video interval before the final encore which this time was 2 aliens returning back home after the show until the U2 Claw space ship lands on them. Then a little Zoo baby asks ‘What time is it the world’ which leads into the first song of the encore

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, - This song was made for this tour it would seem, Bono swinging on the suspended steering wheel microphone in the Laser jacket and the smoke add to a wonderful spectacle. Bono was having the time of his life swinging on the steering wheel microphone and really playing it up to the audience.

With or Without You, - in a moment of carlessness Bono missed his cue and started the song late so he was playing catch up to the second line of the song. Way to go Bono. Then he got a bit sloppy and put his jacket on the steering wheel and the audience had to finish the last lines of the song. I do think that Bono was in a very emotional state at this time of the show.

After With or Without You, Bono went on to thank the folks at Live nation who are from Canada (owners of Live Nation) and he went on to thank Canadians for being idealistic and sending millions of dollars for the purchase of AIDS drugs in Africa. Bono then said that the Moon has been laughing at us from the top of the stadium and made us all turn around and see the moon. After that we were told by Bono to put on our cell phones so that the entire stadium was aglow like a galaxy, very surreal and then he went into the final song of the evening.
Moment of Surrender -
Some fun sights in the GA was U2 Brother with his mirror ball helmet, U2BROTHER license plate around his neck and his silver shiny pants.
A couple with a sing which said we gave up our honeymoon to see U2 in concert
Some one with a poster that said stop following me around the place.
A sing which read please play BAD
Another one asking for the band to allow the poster carrier to do a duet with him.
A fan with a U2 War record album that he wanted signed.
People playing with beach balls in the general admission during the show and balloons during the show.
The flags of different countries being waved around in the GA areas, indicating the truly diverse nationalities of U2 fans.

All in all I had a very enjoyable concert and have returned home with a sore troth and achy legs, but it was well worth it.

Last edited:
buddy

buddy

#1 Sam, Julie , Tony :not from Boston : locals

# 2 i will give you some time to really think about flippantly calling anyone a ' Nazi ' or referencing them as "gestapo " .

Why, hello... :sexywink:

I literally ran out of things to say in FYM. I visit periodically and am rendered entirely without words. Perhaps those days have past for me!

I now spend my days working (but of course!), lifting heavy things at the gym four times a week in my quest to look huge (a new adventure!), and reading heavy things to satiate my craving for knowledge (there's a three-volume history of the Byzantine Empire with my name on it!). Life is pretty ordinary for me otherwise.

I haven't been in FYM in years myself. I'm usually over in B&C. Please pop in sometime and tell us some tall tales and share some musical delights.

:wave:

My husband now understands the appeal of the rail spot. He is not ready to do multiple shows but I think he might be game for a once per leg deal. His first show was the NA opener in Chicago in 2009 at the back of the pit. Neither of us enjoyed the show due to the environment. His second show was in East Lansing in seats and he truly enjoyed it. I promised him that being at the front rail made for a very different experience, and he agrees. I told him there is no going back to seats. He hasn't fully agreed, but as I said before, come next tour, I think he is good for at least one GA per leg. ;)

But let's digress - I was very undecided as to what I wanted to do line wise. I knew I would only line up if I had a chance of getting a rail spot AND the weather wasn't ridiculously hot. Otherwise, we wouldn't line up at all and show up after Interpol.

We got there Saturday in the early evening but as we had ridden our bike for about 8 hours, we just wanted to rest, have some tasty food and some beverages. Thus, while our hotel was only a couple of blocks away, I did not check out the line situation until Sunday morning. Besides, I was not prepared to do multiple check-ins, much less begin to actually line up. I went to inspect the situation by myself and found out that there were about 50 people signed up. No check ins were required but in order to maintain the number you would have to be back by 4 am. I walked back to our hotel not knowing what to do. If my husband didn't want to line up at 4 am, which would be a most reasonable reaction, would I want to still do the line without him? However, I did not have much chance to agonize over it. When I told him what the deal was, he immediately said "well, let's go get us some numbers". And that is how we became 59 and 60 in line.

I figured that we would just get the numbers and forfeit them if we decided to not line up. I was still worried about the weather. I also half assumed that our numbers would not hold out (and I would not have argued for my spot with anyone who had actually been physically in line before me). By early evening it was decided that we would show up, and gauge it step by step. If the fan line looked ok, then we'd wait until security took over. If that was still ok, we'd see what the spot we would line up looked like. And finally, we had a 10 am cut off to wuss out from the heat. Our initial numbers held up. When security took over we were taken in an orderly way into comfortably spaced holding pens that were to be in the shade at least until 1 or 2. We were renumbered and went to numbers 43 and 44. After 12 we were given bracelets for field access. The front of the line (all the people in pens) cleared out like I have never seen before. We all felt comfortable enough to leave for am hour or so to go get lunch, freshen up, etc. Most of the early afternoon was cloudy and breezy, so it was really painless.

I made sure to thank those in charge who I did see, but didn't get a chance to thank Michelle or Sam. So if you are around here - thank you! You all did an amazing job.

As for the show, it was a thing of beauty. It was only my second show this leg, and only the third in the tour. Besides, I have never been much to complain about the setlist, so the fact that there were no surprises didn't bother me. Sure, when I saw 20 vertigo shows I wanted to kill myself when Pride came on, but I always reminded myself that the shows are aimed at the 98% of the audience that were there for their only U2 show of the tour and that no one forced me to go to that many shows.

As always, nice seeing familiar faces, meeting the people behind the posts and talking to new people.

See you all next tour!

We got totally screwed.

We got there at 5:45AM the day of the show, and got numbers 292 and 293. We were later re-numbered to 248 and 249 because people bailed on the line, or people who were having spots held didn't show. The line was actually really well managed, and security was really good about kicking out line jumpers, of which there were quite a few. I think because it was a Monday show, and a lot of people had to work, it increased the number of line jumpers.

Once we got in, it was a different story. Even with somewhat decent numbers (numbers similar to these had gotten us good spots on the outer rail in the past), this time the outer rail was pretty full. I think people have learned that it's the place to be. Given the lack of outer rail and the emptiness of the pit, we decided to try for outside rail in the pit.

This seemed like it was going to work out really well at first, because we had a group of short people who were right in front of us, and we could see over their heads. The problems came later on, when the pit started to get packed in like sardines. Later arrivals started to panic, and they started to think of excuses for jamming into the mess (I'm looking for my wife/gf/bf/dog/cat/ferret/etc).

We were with our friend Lisa, and both her and Jess sat down to take up more space. I didn't, as I figured we were packed in enough already, but then two kids (I'm old enough to call a 20-yr-old a kid now) who were doing the "Just passing through" thing ended up stopping right in front of us. And by in front of us I mean that his ass was pressing against my crotch. I told him he had to move but he lied clumsily, trying to pretend that he had been there the whole time. He knew that I knew he was lying, so he was really sheepish about it. I could have easily "relocated" him, but most of the things I could think of would have probably gotten me ejected from the stadium. So I sat down like Jess and Lisa and forced him forward a few inches at a time, until I had space.

More drama ensued when another group of people did the "just passing through" thing, only to run out of anywhere to go while literally straddling us. They ended up being pretty cool people later on (I ended up making peace with them so we could relax and enjoy the show), but they were initially pretty obnoxious. Since they were having a hard time jamming in front of us, they decided that WE should stand up to give THEM more room. I pointed out that we had been there since 5:45AM and if they had wanted better spots they should have gotten their a bit earlier than 6PM.

The guy tried to argue that anyone arriving at 6PM had the exact same right to the exact same spot as someone who had waited all day. You can guess how that went over. Then the girl tried to get security to make us stand up. The guy tried to argue that us sitting down was a safety hazard, which was pretty much like arguing that a speed bump is a safety hazard because you could crash if you hit it while doing 90mph through a neighborhood. The security guard told him to suck it up.

We stayed seated which probably prevented even more people from jamming in, but the damage was done. All the Last Minute Joes were 6'2"+ and both Jess and Lisa's views were totally blocked. As the show progressed, crotch-to-ass guy moved around so he could push his ass against me again (I guess he was into that) so I just kept "accidentally" kicking the back of his ankles.

It was a pity that Jess missed most of here last GA of the tour because of this fiasco, but I guess it's taught us that you should avoid the pit if you're shorter than 6'2 and don't like crotch-to-ass contact.

Wow, huge drag.

Sorry to hear about this.

Blah.

<>

This GA line was done properly and done right. I thank Tony, Sam and the rest of the crew for keeping it real. After the MTL apocalypse, I was weary to continue the tour. I had to, my hometown was next.

I'm not gonna lie. I whored myself out there to the media. It's my hometown show, and I wanted all those kids I teach and their parents, that THIS guy knows how to have a good time. (as well as being a huge U2 fan).

Unfortunately, this show was "by the numbers" as Canedge and I discussed via PM.

Nashville had the blind guy.
Chicago had OTH.
MTL had Bono speaking French the entire time as well as a broadcast show.

I really wanted something *special* for the Toronto show.

Toronto show wasn't a grand slam....nor a home run.....it was a stand up triple.

That doesn't mean U2 was bad. But I can say that since this was my 30th show of all time. The last time they played Toronto in 2009, Bono had more to say about Toronto and revealed more about the connection to Toronto.

Toronto IS NOT Montreal. Toronto is so conservative. Lots of suits. Lots of folks who work in offices and really don't know how to let loose. Yes, I can also say that as I live in this city.

Regardless, I had a great time. Brought my U2 virgin friend....and managed to get on news.

Here are some pictures!

Me and my peeps! Front rail in front of Adam
281534_10150698709985447_512545446_19609144_5612345_n.jpg

Interpol's set is that exciting.
267822_10150698710195447_512545446_19609148_3036141_n.jpg

Adam
262006_10150698712340447_512545446_19609179_5296135_n.jpg

264743_10150698713530447_512545446_19609200_7973103_n.jpg

264961_10150698715325447_512545446_19609230_114637_n.jpg

281841_10150698716420447_512545446_19609249_6789922_n.jpg

284762_10150698717745447_512545446_19609278_257390_n.jpg

283982_10150698719720447_512545446_19609317_572913_n.jpg

283171_10150698720475447_512545446_19609334_4285113_n.jpg

283349_10150698722785447_512545446_19609385_5698800_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

281934_10150698726110447_512545446_19609459_7275346_n.jpg

Wish I had gotten to meet a few more people, but it was very difficult because of it being a Monday night and so many of us were coming in from Montreal. I haven't seen RyanCoke71 since Friday. :lol:

Awwww, did you miss me?:wink::hug:

I 'm sad I didn't get to see you again, but I am so happy that we had such a good time at the gathering in Montreal and at U23D. I had every intention to go to the post show gathering in TO, but it was taking the people I was with forever to get ready, and I just wanted to go to bed. We will see you in Minneapolis for sure, and Heather has already said to me to let her know when we come back to Minni so we can meet up.:up:

Kristen and I decided to wear our devil horns, just for fun, to this one. After the show, we saw some guy in the elevator that told us he could see us from the 500 section, which was hilarious!:lol:

I loved this show. We got into line at 4:00 and still ended up back of pit, The Edge's side. This is the first time I have been on his side, si I spent a lot of the show watching him play. He gets so into the music!:heart:

The crowd, from where I was, was very energetic, considering it was hot as HELL!:angry: To me, Bono wasn't active as he was in Montreal, but that heat was intense, so I wasn't surprised. I loved being by back rail, and Kristen and I really enjoyed when Larry stopped right in front of us and played during Crazy Tonight. We were all so happy when the roof opened. Seeing the CN Tower during the show was really sweet!

One more show for me... I can't believe it is almost over!:sad:

(I'm just gonna paste this from the other Toronto thread!)

Hey guys. Toronto was absolutely incredible! After having done Oakland GA where the chaos started immediately, it was so nice to be in a peaceful GA with seriously, such amazing people! I wish I'd gotten people's contacts so I could find them on Facebook. I'm a creep and I took screenshots of the people I made friends with on the Montreal fancams. I might just post them up and hope someone here has their information. Is that really creepy?

But all you Toronto GAers, I had such a phenomenal time. Thank you all for being so kind to this little lone 18 year old American! I will never forget this show, best show of my life by far with such good people. Canada, you gave yourself a good name.

Ava

Nice pics!
What type of camera did you use for these?

Thanks - I walked in with my Canon 5D Mark II (plus 85mm lens). Security allowed it in, but they told me basically to not use it. So, I didn't get many shots in. I could have used a longer lens as well (was outside the pit).

Thanks - I walked in with my Canon 5D Mark II (plus 85mm lens). Security allowed it in, but they told me basically to not use it. So, I didn't get many shots in. I could have used a longer lens as well (was outside the pit).

How does it work when security see's the camera? Do they measure it or something?

Sorry just have a typical point-and-shoot digital and thinking of upgrading to a digital slr.

How does it work when security see's the camera? Do they measure it or something?

Sorry just have a typical point-and-shoot digital and thinking of upgrading to a digital slr.

They see if it's a DSLR. Some announcement outside mentioned up to 3 inch lenses, which mine was. But they warned me anyway.

^ yo Crazy fool! I have some pics of you on Facebook, come hunt me down :wink:

P.s Anyone smell the waccy baccy that night? Phew strong lmfao

:lol::lol: Yeah well anything would have been better than Interpol! Even the guy outside entertaining on the GA line did better than Interpol :lol:

Back
Top Bottom