Jamaica Inn, Cornwall, England Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a random note, I have a job interview for a pie shop on Wednesday. That's one of the most fitting roles for me I can think of, apart from maybe a bacon salesperson.

On a random note, I have a job interview for a pie shop on Wednesday. That's one of the most fitting roles for me I can think of, apart from maybe a bacon salesperson.

It's a scarily good fit, yes. And is this that sad happy smiley frowny face pie shop place on Swanston Street?

:lol: For starters SYCMIOYO will probably never be seen again. At least on this tour. It just does not have a place to fit.

Frankly they could play me ATYCLB Live in Reverse, for all I care. They grew some balls, played 2 new songs, and revived a 'classic' from PopMart!

It's not an especially notable song (either in terms of chart success or actually being good), it doesn't fit anywhere, it'd kill the momentum of the gig ... why WOULD they play it? You're exactly right. I won't be shocked if it is done on the next tour because of its personal meaning to Bono, though.

Would anybody like to play a fun guessing game?

One of these is a large four-legged mammal that eats grass, has very large yellow teeth and likes to run around neighing.

The other is a horse.

28549_127364083958052_127362150624912_239394_7692181_n.jpg

Guys, I have sad news to report.

I am no longer Phail at drums. In fact, I've actually gotten somewhat disappointingly decent. (and I kind of dropped something like a grand and a half on drum stuff over the last year)

IMG_0036.jpg

It's not an especially notable song (either in terms of chart success or actually being good), it doesn't fit anywhere, it'd kill the momentum of the gig ... why WOULD they play it? You're exactly right. I won't be shocked if it is done on the next tour because of its personal meaning to Bono, though.

5 years ago Axver thought differently ... :wink:

Axver 5 years ago said:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (SYCMIOYO) is without a doubt one of the very best tracks on the superb How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb album. The lyrics are extremely personal, and anyone who has had troubles with their father will be able to feel Bono's pain and will find the lyrics to be hauntingly superb. Indeed, such is the quality of Bono's lyricism that the lyrics of SYCMIOYO can be related to many other situations just as adequately, as I know very well from experience. This song is a ballad of the calibre of masterpieces such as Bad, With Or Without You, One, and Stay (Faraway, So Close!), featuring some of Bono's best vocals since the Zooropa era.

The single as a format of musical release is pretty much dying, with sales continuing to decline. For that reason, bands focus more on album releases, and U2 are no exception. They have another good reason - their recording process is organic, with ideas developed in one session but not often fully formed until later (i.e. City Of Blinding Lights, recently released on HTDAAB, saw the first musical inception during 1996 sessions for Pop), and thus they do not want to release half-formed ideas that could be built upon later, especially not as b-sides on a format that is low-profile and will only be purchased by a relative few. Nonetheless, the single is solid enough and the title track itself is so marvellous that it definitely deserves a five star rating. I would definitely recommend this version (the three track release) over the other one (the two track release), if only for Ave Maria. How many other bands can claim the prestige of releasing not just one but two songs with a master like Pavarotti?

To answer some allegations, there was no iTunes debacle as no money changed hands, U2 are not sell-outs except in the sense that every band that signs a record deal is selling out their music to others, and anyone who thinks U2 have lost their way and become commercial since Pop is simply delusional. U2 are refining their art, playing to their strengths, releasing sincere and heartfelt rock in a world filled with shallow, fake Britney-pop and mindless rap. If the allegations against U2 were true, Bono would be singing "I want you in my pants" and the song would be used as part of a Levis jeans ad. That hasn't happened and the greatest rock band in the world are still the greatest rock band in the world, going where no-one has gone before and releasing some of their most successful and best music more than two and a half decades into their career. It may not be your cup of tea, but you have to admire the artistic ability. Just because U2 didn't make what YOU wanted doesn't mean it's bad. Some people need to stop living in the past.

SYCMIOYO is a superb single. The song is masterful, crafted by a band of extraordinary talent and infused with heartfelt, sincere lyrics that are both specific and universal. This is a U2 classic. Buy it today.

Sorry but I couldn't resists.

Very cool! Hope it goes well, and all that... incidentally, if you and Ax are ever bored, I'll be free between 12 and 2 on Wednesdays.

Hah, perfect timing. Charlotte's interview is in the city Wednesday morning, then I have a doctor's appointment in Essendon at 2:30; we'll probably have time to kill around 12 to 1:30!

Unless he looses someone close to him again, I don't think it'll ever be played again.

How long do you you think Miss Sarajevo and Glastonbury will last in the set? I watched a bit of Miss Sarajevo on youtube, and Bono can still hit the opera notes, but I'm wondering if they just bought it in for the Italian show.

Guys, I have sad news to report.

I am no longer Phail at drums. In fact, I've actually gotten somewhat disappointingly decent. (and I kind of dropped something like a grand and a half on drum stuff over the last year)

IMG_0036.jpg

Wooah, nice.

Meanwhile, I still haven't got around to having my guitar's snapped string re-strung. :lazy:

Unless he looses someone close to him again, I don't think it'll ever be played again.

How long do you you think Miss Sarajevo and Glastonbury will last in the set? I watched a bit of Miss Sarajevo on youtube, and Bono can still hit the opera notes, but I'm wondering if they just bought it in for the Italian show.

I think Miss Sarajevo is in for the long haul, since they've tied it to that U2.com thing where people submitted questions to be used in the show. I hope they realise how fucking boring In A Little While is, though, and that the IALW/Miss S duo is a complete momentum killer.

Hoping Glastonbury will stick around for a bit ... I reckon it might get a bit more of a run than North Star at the least.

I think Miss Sarajevo is in for the long haul, since they've tied it to that U2.com thing where people submitted questions to be used in the show. I hope they realise how fucking boring In A Little While is, though, and that the IALW/Miss S duo is a complete momentum killer.

Hoping Glastonbury will stick around for a bit ... I reckon it might get a bit more of a run than North Star at the least.

I'm hoping North Star and Glastonbury get rotated regularly, just so they don't become tired old chestnuts like WOWY or Pride or even Vertigo.

Incidentally, I noticed that SBS is starting to slow down again, just going off the intro from that Crazy Tonight video Vlad put up a while ago.

And I did quite enjoy Miss Sarajevo when they played it last time they were here, although it was sloooooow. Then again, so was The First Time, and I had no arguments about that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom