I've always wondered

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People in the Soviet Union etc were also trying to achieve some sort of Utopian state... So maybe there's some similarities there as well...

Those Utopian states didn't work out, so they became some sort of 'Dystopian' states, the opposite, the negative side...

Hmm.. :hmm:

JanuaryStar said:
People in the Soviet Union etc were also trying to achieve some sort of Utopian state... So maybe there's some similarities there as well...

Those Utopian states didn't work out, so they became some sort of 'Dystopian' states, the opposite, the negative side...

Hmm.. :hmm:

That is a very good point, and anyone who's seen the ZooTV tour whether live or in my case, on tape, knows that in the beginning of Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, the ZooTV baby starts to sing in Russian, while the intro to the song starts....Man watching that tape was kick ass
:drool:

Babyface_20 said:

That is plausible because there is evidence of that in the song- the evidence is in bold :
(from U2.com)
Zooropa
Zooropa... Vorsprung durch Technik
Zooropa... be all that you can be
Be a winner
Eat to get slimmer

Zooropa... a bluer kind of white
Zooropa... it could be yours tonight
We're mild and green
And squeaky clean

Zooropa... better by design
Zooropa... fly the friendly skies
Through appliance of science
We've got that ring of confidence...

To me that sounds more like 1940s German propaganda to be honest. :silent:

Babyface_20 said:

That is plausible because there is evidence of that in the song-

[/B]
Yeah, I don't know if it's Utopia, but it doesn't exist, whatever it is.
I found a couple of quotes down below.

No particular place names....
She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in...
I have no compass, I have no map.....
Uncertainty
Overground
refer to the William Gibson novels, the futurism.

Bono :"A lot of what's in this album comes from reading the work of William Gibson"

He isn't talking about a specific place, but a place of the future

Also, don't be thrown by the advertisement slogans
Edge: "Taking advertising jargon, you start to get an insight into the advertising culture that produced it. " that's from an old issue of Propaganda

also "Be all that you can be" and
"Fly the friendly skies" are American slogans, in fact the first one is from the US Army.

WalkOn21 said:
Yeah, most English speaking people are astronomists. :lol:

I think it's VERY safe to say that Bono meant Europe and not Jupiter's moon.

The whole point was, that he WASN'T talking about Jupiter's Moon so it could have been anything.

Babyface_20 said:

That is a very good point, and anyone who's seen the ZooTV tour whether live or in my case, on tape, knows that in the beginning of Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car, the ZooTV baby starts to sing in Russian, while the intro to the song starts....Man watching that tape was kick ass
:drool:

And the communist logo too. You know, I've always wondered, that logo at the start of the song in the video, the fanfare extract from "Lenin's favourite songs" and then, all those dollar bills flying... :huh: I guess it's just a parody of how ridiculous both communism and capitalism can be, ambition for power and all I think, as Zoo TV is a parody of lots of other things as well :shrug:

Last edited:
VicksSs said:

You know, I've always wondered, that logo at the start of the song in the video, the fanfare extract from "Lenin's favourite songs" and then, all those dollar bills flying... :huh: I guess it's just a parody of how ridiculous both communism and capitalism can be, ambition for power and all I think, as Zoo TV is a parody of lots of other things as well :shrug:

Yup, I agree on that... :)

VicksSs said:

And the communist logo too. You know, I've always wondered, that logo at the start of the song in the video, the fanfare extract from "Lenin's favourite songs" and then, all those dollar bills flying... :huh: I guess it's just a parody of how ridiculous both communism and capitalism can be, ambition for power and all I think, as Zoo TV is a parody of lots of other things as well :shrug:

You got that right! What spoofs it even more is the MacPhisto Speech lol.

Mr MacPhisto-
"Look what you've done to me. You've made me very famous and I thank you.
I know you like your popstars to be exciting so I bought these.
(he shows his golden shoes) Now my time among you is allmost at an end, the glory of ZOOTV must ascend and take its place with all the other satellites.

Don't fear, for I'll be watching you. I leave behind video cameras for each of you!

**Tape each other, tape ourselves, children tape your parents...parents take care. Tape all of this, and watch it.
I'll be with us always. As close to you as your ver and your personel headphones.**

So many listening tonight I have a list...

People of America:
I gave you Bill Clinton, I put him on CNN, NBC, C-SPAN.
Too tall to be despot, but watch him closely.

People of Asia:
Your time is coming.
Without your tiny transistors none of this would be possible.

People of Europe:
When I came among you, you were squabbling like children.
Now you're all hooked up to one cable, as close together as stations on a dial.

People of the former Soviet Unions:
I've given you capitalism so now you can all dream of being as wealthy and as glamorous as me.

People of Sarajevo:
Count your blessings. There are those all over the world who have food, heat and security. But they're not on TV like you are.

Frank Sinatra, I gave you MTV, demographic.

Salman Rushdie, I gave you decibels.

Goodbye Squidgy, I hope they give you Wales.

Goodbye Micheal Hutchence

Goodbye all you Neo-Nazis. I hope they give you Auschwitz

Last edited:
Yeah, you’re so right! :up: I love that speech :D Definitely B is one of the smartest guys around, and incredibly creative too!! :)

Back
Top Bottom