Is this the worst U2 album ever ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OP needs to make sure his headphones are plugged in all the way. Adam's bass is huge on Iris and Volcano.

This might be the worst reviewed U2 album yet, but it's probably not the worst. HTDAAB and October exist.
I think this was the last big album release for U2. From now on, it will most likely be low key.

I suggest listening to it on headphones; everything you're looking for is in there.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Spot on,and try it in the car turned up to 11. Especially the Glastonbury bit in volcano,that guitar tone is pure filth. Love it!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

Fuck_201a38_359432.jpg

:lmao:

This records is 2 zillions times better and fresher than NLOTH.

NLOTH is my axe to grind. I'm not gonna say the band hit this record out of the park with SOI, but after 3 listens front to back yesterday, I feel good, warm, and fuzzy....they way I should feel when I hear a U2 song. Production, harmonies, melodies, and bridges sound tight and fresh.

What I think I like most.. and obviously why it is called "Sounds of Innocence".... when reading the liner notes, all the songs are connected to early people/events/bands that shaped U2 who they are today. Something about the resonates with me.

I particularly enjoyed Neil McCormick's review.

U2, Songs of Innocence: first review - Telegraph

" I wouldn’t put it on a par with their greatest work - Boy, Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby or even the seamless songs of All That You Can’t Leave Behind. At times it does sound like it is trying a bit too hard to please. But it's more pop than Pop ever was, and it certainly does the job it apparently sets out to do, delivering addictive pop rock with hooks, energy, substance and ideas that linger in the mind after you’ve heard them."

A good U2 record takes a moment to marinate..... like a good steak before a BBQ. Perhaps naysayers will change their mind. I completely changed my mind about Pop. It only took a year. Can't say I've changed my mind about NLOTH or October....many years have passed since then.

Despite the fact that radio is dying.... this is made for masses to consume and for radio play.

I like the throwback to their youth....and it isn't a preachy kinda Bono you hear..... it's a reflective one.

These dudes are old now..... and they are busting out this song like they are super duper young.

Love it.

I agree with most everything you have said here. I probably like this album a bit more than you based on what you have said, and agree it is infinitely better than NLOTH. Most wont see that...but i do.

I haven't felt this good about a U2 album since PoP - whatever that means i dont know. I hear new wave in some of the songs, very atmospheric stuff in others, perhaps a new approach to familiar territory?

And yes there are no clunkers here, not even Volcano, just press play and buckle in for the ride.

Every Breaking Wave kicks my ass, this is the perfect song for me. California, very very cool. Iris very spooky, 'send me an angel' sounding stuff.

I don't fully have control of my thoughts just yet though i can't hardly stop listening. Peeling off the layers here and there...a bit like stumbling into a haunted house on a dark night and finding some of your best friends were there too....you haven't seen them in forever and you might just have a party.

Those who really love the band would appreciate the album, may or may not like its sounds. at least one or two tunes are remarkable in my opinion. This is the band, our band, the best band, we should be thankful, and I bet some of this songs sound great when they play them live when on tour by 2015 or so.

Spot on!

I think this album's a bit of a grower...It's a shame most reviewers try to churn out a review after a handful of listens at most.

Like most around here, I wasn't crazy about The Miracle when I first heard it. Shockingly, I couldn't get that song out of my head today at work!

1) No. I immediately loved it upon first listen, particularly cuts I was unfamiliar with beforehand like "Zoo Station" and "The Fly"...but that albums still had Edge attempting to create unique sounds. This new record doesn't really have any guitar tones that show off his strengths. I guess it satisfies those who wanted some rock riffs, but I think U2's most important element has been Edge's ability to create some amazing soundscapes while at the same time being rather restrained.

i agree. there is no guitar here that pushes the envelope. ATYCLB and HTDAAB had unique and outstanding guitar moments - Beautiful Day, Walk On, In a Little While, even When I Look at the World had strong guitar (no matter what you thought of the song as a whole); Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, Love and Peace, Crumbs (even though I dislike that song) and Yaweh.

i can't think of any moments on this new album as good as those. the guitar riffs are few, far-between, and forgettable. the songs are so synth and vocal-driven, and Edge seems to just be tagging along for the ride. for all of U2's best songs, Edge drives the car, or at least steers it.

The moral of the story is that U2 is a huge band and they have so many fans that few of us agree about much! :wink:

Now this i can agree on :up:

What I think is going on here is...this is the most UN-U2 album they have ever done (besides Zooropa).

What makes this so....different is that it is SUPER polished. It sounds very pop (and I don't mean the CD from the 90s). I must admit I laugh when I hear anyone say there is anything punk or "indie" sounding about this CD (maybe I listen to too much Sirius AltNation and XMU)...

That being said, it is kind of refreshing. I don't think I have heard U2 sounds so "accessible".

Yes, The Edge who did "11 o' Clock Tick Tock" on Under A Blood Red Sky (or even "Miracle Drug" on HTDAAB) is not present. Soaring atmospheric anthems like "Walk On" and "Where the Streets Have No Name" are nowhere to be found. But there is GUITAR, but sadly it sounds like it could be ANY alt rocker's guitar work. Not that of the God-like Edge. And that's not a BAD thing, it is what it is.

BUT....all of that does not make this a bad album. There are many good things about it. Bono's vocals soar, lyrically it actually seems to be out something. The music is a little different, although very accessible they play with some styles in a non-threatening manner.

For the band who always pushed the envelope, this for them was pushing the envelope.

I first heard U2 and became a fan in 1983...I've been through many of their changes, and this feels like another one of them, but a change in a more calm, adult direction with splotches of creativity.

I am starting to realize the U2 music I loved will never be reproduced. And that is ok. Now it's about discovering if I can love the U2 music they are putting out NOW.

I can handle this. I still have not figured where it fits in list of favorite U2 albums...I am thinking right around #11, just above Zooropa and No Line on the Horizon.

And that doesn't mean I hated those, it means I just did not like them as much.

I'm rambling. I will let you go now.

OH and I should add - I find myself liking this more and more. Now that the shock has worn off.

IMO... By and large sounds it like a Bono solo album, overtly influenced by his desire for radio hits with a splash of his Broadway songwriting experiments throw in. There are two or 3 decent/interesting tracks, but the rest is overproduced to the point of being generic (witness the destruction of Every Breaking Wave). It's the sound of U2 as followers instead of leaders, with pastiches of current pop music trends posing as innovation/reinvention. Disappointing.

Two questions:

1. Did you hate AB at first because Edge dropped his classic tones?
2. You really find the last 3 albums to be better lyrically? I mean there are moments, but I'm shocked that a lyric person would find this banal over some of the Bomb and ATYCLB stuff... or SUC

The Edge soared into the stratosphere on AB....I have been waiting again for that ever since.

I'll honestly never understand the hate that people have for NLOTH. To me, it's U2's best album since Achtung Baby.

As far as Songs of Innocence is concerned, it's just okay. It's not horrible, yet it's not necessarily great either. I'm more upset that this is what they came up with after five long years than anything else. Here's hoping that "Songs of Experience" will be way better...

Not my favorite album, but I'd rank it ahead of October. I'm glad lots of other people are much more excited about it than I am - more power to them!

When I first heard Joshua Tree, TUF, R&H, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, ATYCLB, they were INSTANTLY amazing to me. I was high as a kite on the first listen. I miss that feeling, and I definitely didn't get it - or anything close - from this album. I was hoping there would at least be a couple of mind-blowing instant-classic tracks (like Moment of Surrender, for example), but I'm just not feeling any of them at that level.

The more I follow this band, the more I realize that without Eno & Lanois, they're still great, but they're a lot weaker than when they're with them.

I take back what I said about not liking any of the songs, Sleep like a baby and troubles are growing on me.

I only wish the outros would've been longer. They were set up perfect for a nice solo, but it seems they were held back and cut out too soon, for whatever reason.

Right now, I'd put in equal stature to Zooropa.
Legendary:
JT & AB
Great:
TUF, Zooropa, SOI, Boy, ATYCLB
Really good:
War, No Line, Pop
Good: RH
Okay: Atomic Bomb, October

10/10 classics:

Zooropa
Joshua Tree

9/10 brilliance:

Pop
Achtung Baby
Boy
War
TUF

8/10 great:

Passengers
NLOTH

7/10 pretty good:

R&H
Songs of Innocence
October

6/10 alright:

ATYCLB
HTDAAB

Last edited:
The more I follow this band, the more I realize that without Eno & Lanois, they're still great, but they're a lot weaker than when they're with them.

I used to think that way as well... but then they made NLOTH, and that record fell off for me with their involvement. I can see why they chose to work with some other talent.

I used to think that way as well... but then they made NLOTH, and that record fell off for me with their involvement. I can see why they chose to work with some other talent.

Cmon..."Magnificent" and "Moment of Surrender" were two good reasons alone to own NLOTH (apart from the many other amazing tracks on that album). I don't see anything on "Songs of Innocence" that can even compare to those two songs.

Cmon..."Magnificent" and "Moment of Surrender" were two good reasons alone to own NLOTH (apart from the many other amazing tracks on that album). I don't see anything on "Songs of Innocence" that can even compare to those two songs.

Totally agreed. The opening trio is thrilling and the lyrics throughout the album are full of interesting character writing. Middle trio of hell excepted, it's a very fine album. And a touch more experimental than SOI as well.

Totally agreed. The opening trio is thrilling and the lyrics throughout the album are full of interesting character writing. Middle trio of hell excepted, it's a very fine album. And a touch more experimental than SOI as well.

Yeah, agree. NLOTH is an amazing album, and Moment of Surrender is one of U2's all-time great songs. I honestly don't think anything on SOI even comes close to "Invisible," which I think was a pretty good (but not amazing) U2 song.

10/10 classics:

Zooropa
Joshua Tree

9/10 brilliance:

Pop
Achtung Baby
Boy
War
TUF

8/10 great:

Passengers
NLOTH

7/10 pretty good:

R&H
Songs of Innocence
October

6/10 alright:

ATYCLB
HTDAAB

I'm slightly tempted to put SOI above NLOTH as the 'whoah's on MOS are too easy to make fun of. And Bono's "spoken word mad raps, cuz" are only limited to 'Raised by Wolves' here. If I had to show one at a party, it would be SOI.

EDIT: In fact, I am more satisfied with the listening experience than I remember being for NLOTH; I will put it above NLOTH.

With that said...does a U2 album exist that ALL U2 fans agree is good??
Yeah, they do. "The Joshua Tree", "Achtung Baby", "War". Even "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Rattle and Hum" have a few great songs on them. These are the albums that created the largest percentage of U2 fans.

There's disagreement about rankings, but these albums all meet fan standards of "good", if not "great."

Yeah, they do. "The Joshua Tree", "Achtung Baby", "War". Even "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Rattle and Hum" have a few great songs on them. These are the albums that created the largest percentage of U2 fans.

There's disagreement about rankings, but these albums all meet fan standards of "good", if not "great."

I can't agree with you there, there will be some fans somewhere who don't like them

10/10:

1. Joshua Tree
2. All That You Can't Leave Behind
3. Achtung Baby
4. Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa
6. War

9/10:

7. October

8/10:

8. Boy
9. No Line On The Horizon
10. Original Soundtracks I

7/10:

11. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb

6/10:

12. Pop
13. Rattle & Hum
14. Songs Of Innocence

Their worst album ever? Wow. Seriously WTF?

I don't think anything will ever beat Achtung Baby but to be honest I have never loved a U2 album this much this fast. I didn't care for any of their albums all that much to be honest the first time I heard them. Good songs here and there but as albums they all had to grow on me. I loved every song on this album the first time I heard it and the way I reacted to this album is the way I've always wanted to react to an album.

For me it will be interesting to see how this album holds up over time. It doesn't have the classics of other albums but as an album from start to finish I think it might be their second best. Again time will say a lot but right now I don't have an urge to skip a single song. This album is really fucking good in my opinion. Song For Someone is a classic and what they did to Every Breaking wave is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom