Is This It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AC/DC does not have 10 songs that "everyone knows".

After You Shook Me, Highway to Hell, and Back In Black, there ain't much.

Add:
Thunderstuck, TNT, Dirty Deeds, Shoot to Thrill, For Those About to Rock, Money Talks...

Ok, maybe more like 8ish... :wink:

I'd certainly say the average music listener would at least know Dirty Deeds, For Those About to Rock and Hells Bells.
I'd say yes to Hells Bells and I'd also add in Thunderstruck. I wouldn't include the other two.

My threshold is not even the average music fan, who I would consider to have a larger knowledge of songs in general.

I'm going strictly by the average Joe on the street who listens to music in the car, at work, at a bar, the grocery store, a sporting event and maybe at the gym and not much else than that.

That doesn't mean it is a bad song but I personally never count it on my list of U2 classics. Although, I do consider Elevation to be one of my favorite U2 songs and consider it among their most popular songs(based on the live experience alone) and THAT is not a popular opinion around these parts!

Yep. The ten people that speak out against it here and on @U2 are usually outweighed by the considerable reaction it gets live each time

... and people wonder why they enjoy playing it. :hmm:

I do consider Elevation to be one of my favorite U2 songs and consider it among their most popular songs(based on the live experience alone) and THAT is not a popular opinion around these parts!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

heck yes, it is popular with me too especially live :up:

Has anyone mentioned Back in Black or Highway to Hell or Shook Me All Night Long? Those are some pretty big songs. Jim Breuer has an awesome bit of how all AC/DC's songs sound the same. Imagine that? :wink:

AC/DC were great and all, but U2 are "bigger" than them.

Has anyone mentioned Back in Black or Highway to Hell or Shook Me All Night Long? Those are some pretty big songs. Jim Breuer has an awesome bit of how all AC/DC's songs sound the same. Imagine that? :wink:

AC/DC were great and all, but U2 are "bigger" than them.

AC/DC have sold more records and play the same venues so they're on the same level at the very least.

And yeah, everyone knows Thunderstruck. It has one of the most iconic song openings ever. They've probably got as many songs known by the average Joe as U2 do.

I still think the album sales figures are dubious. I can not see REM having a larger sales draw outside the US than U2. The album sold Automatic sold 5 million in the US, and Achtung has sold 8. I don't see how REM sold 13 million and U2 sold just another 8...
Anyway.

There's nothing dubious about the sales figures aside from them not supporting the idea that U2 were more popular than REM. Numbers from the Soundscan era onward are reliable. Out of Time and Automatic both sold the same as Achtung Baby, and Monster sold the same as Zooropa and Pop.

Compare:
UK: Automatic, 2.3 mil. Achtung, 1.2
Germany: 1.3 vs 500,000
Switzerland: 100,000 vs 25,000

As for the Stones. I agree. They have a longer touring history, and still can do stadiums if they want. But I still think U2 has had a longer period of albums people actually care about, along with massive tours. And still the original line up, where as The Stones did a couple change ups, their last one being around '94.
But yeah The Stones will always be the grandfathers of rock that hold a special place in music history, that U2 doesn't quite fit into, nor do they really want to i suppose.

People cared about Stones albums for 20 years, pretty much the same as U2. And the Stones released at least as much, quantity wise, in their first 10 years as U2 have to date. It's amazing that people cared past Exile - hadn't they had enough of the Rolling Stones? Not that they didn't deserve the attention...

You haven't seen Rattle and Hum have you ;)

Again not talking quality, but the opening to thunderstruck is very well known and similar to Elevation is played in sports arenas around the country endlessly.

I like Thunderstruck!

I am not an AC/DC fan and these are the songs I know and own

ThunderStruck
Hells Bells
TNT
Shoot to Thrill
Back in Black

While I don't care for it, I also am well aware of:

You Shook me All Night Long

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I saw AC/DC on their last tour and have to say, for a band a fair bit older than U2, they rocked the house and brought an energy that surpassed just about anything I've experienced at a U2 show - certainly over the course of 360 and I+E.

Doesn't hurt that they have one of the most talented guitar players in the world and they just bring it honest and loud without any of the technical filler that U2 seem to rely on more and more.

I recently saw an orange that wasn't an apple. That was strange.

I saw AC/DC on their last tour and have to say, for a band a fair bit older than U2, they rocked the house and brought an energy that surpassed just about anything I've experienced at a U2 show - certainly over the course of 360 and I+E.

Doesn't hurt that they have one of the most talented guitar players in the world and they just bring it honest and loud without any of the technical filler that U2 seem to rely on more and more.

The guitar comment is such bullshit.

Edge is a completely different type of guitar player, and U2 are a completely different type of band.

U2 wouldn't​ be U2 if the edge played like Angus. They'd suck. AC/DC would be awful if Angus played like Edge. They're not aiming for the same things.

The guitar comment is such bullshit.

Edge is a completely different type of guitar player, and U2 are a completely different type of band.

U2 wouldn't​ be U2 if the edge played like Angus. They'd suck. AC/DC would be awful if Angus played like Edge. They're not aiming for the same things.

typical response from a fanboy... you can't even read a compliment about another band's guitar player without taking it as a personal insult to Edge... I hope you'll be OK....

typical response from a fanboy... you can't even read a compliment about another band's guitar player without taking it as a personal insult to Edge... I hope you'll be OK....

LOL seriously? Headache is about as neutral as it gets with this band. A quick search would probably pull up hundreds of posts where Headache has been critical of the band.

Congrats on being the most insufferable new user. Great work in just one month.

Not sure why we're supposed to be so impressed by AC/DC with regard to this conversation. They still rock and play to big crowds, congrats. So does Iron Maiden, and they actually put some thought into making new music. AC/DC has been beating the same drum for 40 years. Very little growth, aiming low. That's a little different from the various avenues that U2 has explored over their tenure. No one talks about AC/DC because it's just fun fist-pumping stuff. That's why you get people here wondering why you're comparing apples to oranges. And you act flippant when called on it, claiming that we're all blind followers when most of us are extremely critical of decisions the band makes.

Go find another litter box to leave your shit in. I'm sure @u2 will be happy to have you.

Oh, another troll tossing around the blind sheep / fanboy comments at any comment that isn't shitting all over the band. Something new and different. Never seen that before.

Edge is in no way the greatest technical guitar player around. None of the band members are the best at what they do as individuals. Edge goes more for unique sounds and atmospheres than straight shredding. It may have been something that developed BECAUSE he wasn't as technically accomplished as many of his peers. And it works for the band, and the band is better for it. And yes, he's been just as influential without being as technically talented as a lot of other players in many areas.

But hey, I'm just a Fanboy. I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom