Is there an album on the horizon? (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
it has to be this never before heard of rock.

a type of rock from a galaxy far,far,far away................................................................
a rock no man has heard of before...........................................................................
a rock from new people's in new lands..........................................................

It just didn't get the mass stadium sing-along with the bouncing ball during the chorus that they were hoping for.

I'm really bummed about that as well. It's still one of my favorite songs on the album, and I'll miss hearing it live.

My only disappointments of 360 in Australia:

1. No Unknown Caller (or lack of NLOTH stuff. New stuff like Glastonbury or Every Breaking Wave would have been lovely)
2. No The Unforgetable Fire

They should release SOA as an internet-only album, downloadable artwork, etc. Don't comment about it, no interviews, just let it stand as its own work.

Then continue in "quiet mode" as they enter the studio for the next toured release.

My childishness aside, I don't really see what's wrong with the Unknown Caller lyrics. The verses are great, and I fail to find much fault there, although I can easily comprehend why many dislike/despise the chorus.

Lyrically, the positioning and delivery of the force quite/move to trash line is the biggest problem on Unknown Caller. The general techno theme is all well and good. Even the restart/reboot yourself line gets a pass from me, as its pretty generic. But force quit/move to trash is a truly terrible line, and it sticks out there on its own at the end of the passage, and they give it a real emphasis in their delivery. Fucking awful.

Otherwise, I think UC is just something away from being something better. I think maybe ditching the WalkOnEdge stuff, and giving all of it a bit more of something so it has a feel of... bit more other-worldly? I love the faster version of it on one of the U2.com videos as well, although if you think that through, the same chanting chorus at that speed would be... not so good. I presume the shift to slower came from just that.

But I do like it a lot. Definitely not a hater.

Lyrically, the positioning and delivery of the force quite/move to trash line is the biggest problem on Unknown Caller. The general techno theme is all well and good. Even the restart/reboot yourself line gets a pass from me, as its pretty generic. But force quit/move to trash is a truly terrible line, and it sticks out there on its own at the end of the passage, and they give it a real emphasis in their delivery. Fucking awful.

Otherwise, I think UC is just something away from being something better. I think maybe ditching the WalkOnEdge stuff, and giving all of it a bit more of something so it has a feel of... bit more other-worldly? I love the faster version of it on one of the U2.com videos as well, although if you think that through, the same chanting chorus at that speed would be... not so good. I presume the shift to slower came from just that.

the next line after force quit and move to trash comes on so quickly it almost makes you think they're trying to hide it.

great song, just one step away from being one of the best u2 songs.

corianderstem said:
It just didn't get the mass stadium sing-along with the bouncing ball during the chorus that they were hoping for.

I'm really bummed about that as well. It's still one of my favorite songs on the album, and I'll miss hearing it live.

When you need a bouncing ball over the words like some corny 80's children's show just to entice the crowd to sing along... well... I think that explains why it was dropped.

Earnie Shavers said:

There is not a u2 song on their history that I'm more torn over than unknown caller. I love the music, really like the verses, despise the chorus with the fire of a thousand suns

And going back a few pages re: Winter v 'The Middle Three'.

You need to use your imagination a bit with Winter. It's the same as with the old Atomic Bomb alternate versions. They're not what would have made the album. They're work-in-progress versions. "Daily's", really. It should be pretty obvious to anyone/everyone that Linear Winter, just like something like Native Son, is not ever going to get dropped on an album sounding like that. They are working versions.

You can tell on Winter that it's a quick job in terms of editing and mixing, not meant to sound great and perfect, just good enough to playback and rough-judge. You can hear in things like the transitions between verse and chorus, moments that would surely have been marked 'needs more work'. It's clearly a skeleton, yet to get the many extra Edge/Eno/Lanois layers they painstakingly build into every corner, especially on that style of track. That's definitely not an album worthy vocal take from Bono. So, use your imagination. Try and imagine how U2 would have taken that sketch, and fleshed it out, molded it, for an album.

Given that, I've always said it has loads of potential to have been a brilliant track on No Line. Not a standout, but on an Alternate No Line that sticks to a mood and thematic 'thing', where there is no middle three and instead Winter + the other left over, originally 'SoA' destined tracks, get a look in, with a different tracklisting... it works, probably very well, almost certainly better than what we have.

There is not a u2 song on their history that I'm more torn over than unknown caller. I love the music, really like the verses, despise the chorus with the fire of a thousand suns

I am with you here. I like the song a lot more live, but still... that chorus. :crack:

I know I'm in the minority here, but Unknown Caller is my least fav song on No Line. :reject:

It's the Thomas Kinkaid of rock music. For baby boomers who want something predictable, dull and "nice".

After all your comments about this song, I've concluded you've either not actually heard the song, you have a different album than I do, or you just have an entirely different dictionary than I do.

There's a lot you can say about the song but "predictable" or your previous "cliche" just don't fit.

I love the "force quit/move to trash" line. Alot. I like it when Bono is specific, and not generic. I think it speaks more about the mindset of the character in the song, and not Bono.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom