Is anyone here an Our Lady Peace fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Or is it just me?

------------------
*You could have flown away, a singing bird in an open cage who will only fly, only fly for freedom*

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 12-14-2001).]

they aren't bad. not a lot of difference between any of their songs but they are a pretty good band. i enjoyed the first disc and spiritual machines, happiness is not a fish you can catch was kinda lost on me.
i have heard on multiple occasions however that they are horrible live.

------------------
against smileys

They are pretty cool, but I don't think anyone outside Canada has heard of 'em.
wink.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Originally posted by kobayashi:
they aren't bad. not a lot of difference between any of their songs but they are a pretty good band. i enjoyed the first disc and spiritual machines, happiness is not a fish you can catch was kinda lost on me.
i have heard on multiple occasions however that they are horrible live.

really I haven't heard that? They sounded pretty darn good to me - did you ever catch them on MM's IandI awhile back. That was pretty cool and they played alot of great tunes then! And not too hard on the eyes for that matter.

i've heard of them but i cant think of what song they play on the radio. They do play them on the radio here though, which is odd because they don't play U2. OKC radio sucks!

I've seen a couple of their videos on the TVs in the Union here at school. Can't remember anything specific, but they seem to have a unique sound.

------------------
Change is the only constant

I'm a big O.L.P. fan. I saw them back in '94 at the phoniex ( for those toronto fans out there) which is a small club that holds about 1000. Wicked band. Too bad that they are breaking up, or at least that's the rumour.

mike in toronto
go LEafs GO!!!

Originally posted by MunkyMan:
I'm a big O.L.P. fan. I saw them back in '94 at the phoniex ( for those toronto fans out there) which is a small club that holds about 1000. Wicked band. Too bad that they are breaking up, or at least that's the rumour.

mike in toronto
go LEafs GO!!!

Hey Mike how was the video - did you like it? Don't know if you were in the heart but if you were did you se yourself anywhere. It was pretty cool when the bunch of us watched it we all saw each other in it at different times and that was pretty cool.

Well just looks like the guitarist Mike Turner separated from the rest of Our Lady Peace. Plus, they are in the midst of recording their fifth album. I saw them live over the summer and they were awesome. Didn't realize there were creative differences between them. This really sucks.

What??? They're breaking up???
Oh no!! I'm a big fan....

Can't decide if OLP or the Matthew Goode Band is the best thing to come out of this country in the past 5 years....

By the way, I absolutely adore Happiness is a Fish...

And whoever said OLP wasn't known outside Canada, well I GUARANTEE Wanderer will reply to this! (and he will tell you how they are live!)

Yeah, I thought I had heard something about them breaking up...which is why I asked...
frown.gif

Happiness is my favouite album from them (I love Thief)

Never saw them live tho...didn't go to Edgefest..damn!

ok they don't suck live but i've had music fan friends from vancouver, edmonton and ottawa(they played my campus bar last year) all tell me the show was horrible.

sucks that they''re breaking up though.

so canadians who's the best:
OLP vs. The Hip vs. MGB vs. BNL ???

for me it is The Hip. an incredible live show. i can't stand BNL btw.

------------------
against smileys

for me it is The Hip. an incredible live show. i can't stand BNL btw.

I think I am the only Canadian who can't stand the Hip. They make me sick! blah.
I am really not a big fan of any you mentioned above, but I do enjoy the MGB and would say they kick ass over the rest.

------------------

I saw them play at UB Center for the arts..man they played a great show

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
I hate Great Big Sea...aren't they Canadian?

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 12-14-2001).]

yeah they are canadian but i don't like the style of music so i always forget about them.
supposedly a lot of fun to see live if you like that music.

------------------
against smileys

Well, live it's hard to beat a performer like Gordon Downie! And I mean the Hip really is a Canadian institution...I hold them dear to my heart but the music of the MGB and OLP is more my type of thing than the recent Hip releases...

that said, I flew all the way from England to New York last year to see the Hip play a small club on Long Island! (and the only other band I'd do that for is that Irish band)

Angel, you hate the Hip??? really?
All of their stuff? "Courage", "Hundredth Meridian", "New Orleans.." - they do nothing for you? Interesting!

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

Angel, you hate the Hip??? really?
All of their stuff? "Courage", "Hundredth Meridian", "New Orleans.." - they do nothing for you? Interesting!

Well, don't hate me for saying this but I dislike them soooo much that ten yrs ago I went to a day long concert that they were headlining and left when they came onstage.
redface.gif
I went to see the other bands. I don't know what it is about them, but for me it's the whole package. Their music, them, all of it.
I know that I am a rarity among Canadians... lol
They're just so old school rock'n'roll and I don't like that stuff. Oh! but I did kind of warm up to 'My Music At Work', but only for a week or so.
wink.gif

------------------

LOL!! Actually I have a friend who "claims" to have disliked the Hip, too but I think she just did that to stand out to be honest!

And being from Vancouver (or the general area), you have no choice but to like the MGB, eh? (I hear they call him the "Matthew Great" band out there! and deservedly so...btw, I think I'm the only one who finds him incredibly sexy...)

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

LOL!! Actually I have a friend who "claims" to have disliked the Hip, too but I think she just did that to stand out to be honest!

Haha! But see Julie, I *do* dislike the Hip.
wink.gif
Anyway, MGB is cool, and I guess being from the westcoast and all, yeah, we feel a little patriotic towards them. I just think they are hilarious down-to-earth guys and Matthew is such a smart-ass I love it!
biggrin.gif
Did you see the episode of 'Gonna Meet A Rock Star' with MGB??? They were soooo gracious and feckin hilarious. At the end, Matthew shakes the girls hand and says 'thank-you for not trying to kill us!' lol!!
Anyway, I don't even own a CD of theirs, but I will one day. I have some tunes on Mp3 and their music is really quite good.

Our Lady Peace is a pretty good band. I like 'em, but I dont have any of the albums or anything...

I just have to say that I am Canadian and I really don't care at all for the Tragically Hip. And I'm not just saying that to be different. I really can't understand their popularity.

LOL@you two!

I'm not saying you guys don't actually like the Hip - hey, it's possible - I mean, there are actually people who, god forbid, don't like U2!

I was just talking about this one particular person, that's all!
smile.gif

SkeeK and Angel you have been formally asked to leave canada before you start badmouthing Paul Henderson and Tim Horton's.

hurry along now.

At the Hundredth
Meridian

Me debunk an American myth?
And take my life in my hands?
Where the great plains begin
At the hundreth meridian
Driving down a corduroy road,
weeds standing shoulder high
Ferris wheel is rusting
Off in the distance
At the hundredth meridian

Left alone to get gigantic;
hard, huge and haunted
A generation so much dumber
Than its' parents came
crashing through the window.
A raven strains
Along the line of the road,
carrying a muddy, old skull.
The wires whistle their approval,
off down the distance.
At the hundredth meridian

I remember, I remember
Buffalo And I remember
Hengelo
It would seem to me I remember every
single fucking thing I know

If I die of vanity,
Promise me, promise me,
they bury me someplace I don't want to be,
you'll dig me up and transport me, Unceremoniously,
away from the swollen city-breeze,
Garbage-bag trees,
whispers of disease and the acts of enormity
and lower me slowly, Sadly and properly
Get Ry Cooder to sing my eulogy,
At the hundredth meridian Where the great plains begin.

[This message has been edited by kobayashi (edited 12-14-2001).]

SkeeK and Angel you have been formally asked to leave canada before you start badmouthing Paul Henderson and Tim Horton's.

hurry along now.

LMAO!!!!

I guess I should leave, too 'cuz I'm not very crazy about BNL unlike everyone else 'round here!

hurry along now.

I have to leave Canada because I HATE the Hip???? Where will I gooo????
frown.gif

------------------

I heard on the radio that Mike Turner left OLP, and so theyre looking for a new guitarist before they can record their next album.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Oh well, OLP will always be about Raine, Duncan, and Jeremy. I could care less about Mike, Ive never once seen him in an interview, or anything, its always everyone else, he was just kinda there... but still... They just better not break up or I will officially bocott

hurry along now.

Nobody insults Timmy's in my presence!

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Ive never once seen him in an interview, or anything, its always everyone else, he was just kinda there

awww, poor larry mullen jr.

------------------
against smileys

I bought Spiritual Machines at the suggestion of ladywithspinninghead and soon bought their other cds, they're an excellent band. As far as their live show, I saw them at a club in DC this summer, about 1,000 people packed in and rocking, the sounded great, it was one of the best concerts I have ever been to.

The Tragically Hip are the most ridiculous rock band to ever come out of Canada. OK, maybe they're better than bands like Prism and Loverboy, but they suck! I honestly believe that many of their songs sound the same. "My Music At Work" has the worst chorus ever. Gord Downie's voice is so monotone...

I'd have to say that Our Lady Peace are my favorite Canadian band. Out of all of their albums, my favorite is probably their first one (Naveed). I've seen them live four times, and they've put on decent shows each time. They even covered Zoo Station one of the times I saw them. It would be a shame if they broke up.

------------------
"We are the biggest little cult band in the world." - Larry (1997)

Back
Top Bottom