Is anyone else upset that U2 have dropped The Returm of the Stringray Guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really miss Stingray. It's a grand entrance. I love the fact that Bono is just prancing around as if he's looking for something to do, not singing, just belting out the song's title. When I was at the Melbourne gigs back in December, I wouldn't have wanted anything else. Stingray shat all over City of Blinding Lights opening back in '06, personal experience wise.

I really miss Stingray. It's a grand entrance. I love the fact that Bono is just prancing around as if he's looking for something to do, not singing, just belting out the song's title. When I was at the Melbourne gigs back in December, I wouldn't have wanted anything else. Stingray shat all over City of Blinding Lights opening back in '06, personal experience wise.

I would love to see him do that with Mofo, and Willie going crazy with the Claw lights, but I'm just dreaming :drool:

How about an encore with BOTH EBTTRT and HMTMKMKM? Now that'd kill.

Edge would get tired of all the consecutive Whammy use! :)

Stingray was interesting and new for U2, but it wasn't anything more than an opening for Beautiful Day, which was a bit of a mood killer on that spot. Maybe they work on Stingray in some form, I'd like to see it develop.

Still can't believe U2 missed the obvious rocking opener --> NLOTH. They would have had some possibilities where to go with that song, how to open it, how to develop it. Opportunity missed.

I'm actually super pleased about it. From the first time I've heard it I hated it, very weak opener. People were actually sitting down around me after 30secs instead of jumping up and down which probably is the case with EBTTRT.

I'd rate it among U2's worst creations, together with Glastonbury, IALW and LAPOE.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me or Hold me, Or HMTMKMKM

NOT FRIGGIN' BATMAN! :banghead:

you can also just do this:

bono-macphisto-batman.jpg

At these stadium shows, the vast majority of the audience are casual U2 fans who've never even heard Stringray or NLOTH. The first song has to get people ecstatic. EBTTRT is getting the job done, but there's no way they could've done the first leg of 360, which is really supposed to be an introduction to the new album, with a 20 year old song.

there's no way they could've done the first leg of 360, which is really supposed to be an introduction to the new album, with a 20 year old song.

Of course there is. Seriously, it's only in the U2 fandom that I've encountered this bizarre idea that to be relevant and to promote your new album, the first song of a gig must be a new track.

I thought Stingray was a brilliant opener as it gives the band the chance to walk around the walkway and get everyone revved up!!!

I love the track as well. It's such a contrast to walking onto the 4th of July on the Unforgettable fire. I also thought walking onto Kingdom was also great.

I hope Glasto gets them coming on with Out of Control as a homage to their old festival days!!! Pretty please!!!!

Hey uhm guys. I just thought something that would fix the two different guitar thing.

let's not do Stingray.

Let's go Bowie > EBTTRT > Gone.

Both use the Rickenbacker fireglo 12 string. Both are fucking awesome. Gone NEEDS a play on this stage. It would be the intro to blow your brains out with the first two songs(and then OOC/IWF to finish it!).

Hey uhm guys. I just thought something that would fix the two different guitar thing.

I don't think that there is a different guitar issue. Edge is able to do EBTTRT --> IWF (or OOC or NYD), so there should be no problem doing Stingray --> EBTTRT. :)

Nope not at all. EBTTRT is the opener they've been trying to find for three years now. I so hope they'll keep it for the NA shows. Stingray was okay live, but this bloody rocks!

well I really love the Breath opener

but having only heard EBTTRT on the ( only :( ) one ZOO-TV concert i saw (and i was damn lucky i had generous R&R friends to float me the while I was under employed during the 91 - 93 recession here in the nyc area)

EBTTRT makes a kick ass opener
that I am really :hyper::drool::drool: to hear it live again.and having never heard Zooropa live (being at a concert) I'm going to love that too!

NLOTH is the opener 360 should have had from the start and still have now.
I'd be happy to have NLOTH back in any part of the show. :sad:

It also would have kicked as an opener....

... a rather first set of colors on The Claw as the very notes start u and then WHAMMO... and then The Claw lights goes into high gear as the full sonic force of NLOTH starts up.
:drool:

I thought Stingray was a brilliant opener as it gives the band the chance to walk around the walkway and get everyone revved up!!!

this is a good point. I def liked ROTSG but not segued into BD....

I don't think that there is a different guitar issue. Edge is able to do EBTTRT --> IWF (or OOC or NYD), so there should be no problem doing Stingray --> EBTTRT. :)

That's because there is a break between the two songs. The posters here talked about having Stingray segue into EBTTRT like it did into BD. That would be rather hard with two different types of guitars.

In answer to the original question:

NO.

agreed, I thought Bono looked like an idiot prancing around and flipping people off during this song- though I do like the track. EBTTRT is a much more EPIC way to start the show full force. I love how everyone knows what coming and bam- the lights go off- and then the claw goes crazy. Its fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom