Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-I'll go crazy if I don`t go crazy tonight

It's one of the shorter songs on the album, carried by Larry's strong drumming, but also interrupted by calm sequences. Resembles SYCMIOYO in some parts, the end is very similar to Ultraviolet. Political lyrics, Bono sings: "There's a part of me that wants to riot" and, later: "Every generation get's a chance to change the world". Would be a good second or third single.

Any chance they turned those two versions into one? :hmm:

Not if the rumors of the alternative version being a bonus track are anything to go by. I'm picturing something similar to the quiet breakdown in Out Of Control.

Don't even get me started on how thrilled that would make me.

- Get on your boots

First single, placed perfectly on the album, more light-hearted after all the dense and complex songs.

- Stand up comedy

Clearly influenced by Edge's sessions with Jack White and Jimmi Page. Sounds very 70s and would fit on the "Across the universe" soundtrack. Very rocking, catchy, Edge is "on fire", sounds like a single.

- Fez – being born

First you only hear a collage of electronic noises like phone ringing, a sample of GOYB, then, after about a minute, the song starts. Classic Edge guitar, keyboards, Bono singing very restlessly first, then more melodic. Fast beats. U2 sounding raw like during their very early years. In the middle the song sounds more synthetic and reminds the listener of Depeche Mode. Strong guitar and not so much singing.

I love how pumped we all are. There are 150 people viewing this thread right now. :ohmy:

- Fez – being born

First you only hear a collage of electronic noises like phone ringing, a sample of GOYB, then, after about a minute, the song starts. Classic Edge guitar, keyboards, Bono singing very restlessly first, then more melodic. Fast beats. U2 sounding raw like during their very early years. In the middle the song sounds more synthetic and reminds the listener of Depeche Mode. Strong guitar and not so much singing.

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Not if the rumors of the alternative version being a bonus track are anything to go by. I'm picturing something similar to the quiet breakdown in Out Of Control.

There's also the possibility that the GOYB single version of NLOTH is the rock version and that the album has the original version.

Santiago

- White as snow

Very calm song, short. Begins with atmospheric electronic sounds, then accoustic guitar, Bono sings like Johnny Cash, very intensive vocals. The song is about forgiving and about estranged brothers. Sounds a bit like Springhill Mining Disaster.

- Breathe

Beach Clip 2. Loud drums in the beginning, Bono's muffled singing, the chorus sounds like classic U2. Strings, but always broken by Edge's guitar. Intense and complex sound, a little bit like UTEOTW.

- Cedars of Lebanon

Dark song. Keyboards, minimalistic guitar parts, Bono talks more than he sings, is very dominant on the track. Strong bass line, sounds a bit like "Velvet Dress". Bono takes the perspective of a war correspondent in Lebanon. Edge sings the repeated part: "Return the call to home".

That's it.

Well, it's probably that

And quoting the great philosopher: "Let's get it started!" :evil:

You know how sometimes on albums, but mostly on books or DVD’s, they have a quote from a reviewer? They should put this one from the bad German translation on NLOTH:

“A much layered sound carpet is worn”.

Love it.

My God... If half of that review is true this will be a top 3 u2 album... I'm especially happy about what they said of WAS and CT... Those were worrying me but now it sounds like GOYB might be the weakest - though extremely well-placed - track on a true masterpiece.
:drool:

- NLOTH

is a clear statement for the new direction, heavy guitars, a slow sectionin the middle, atmospheric and dense, a lot of different vocal parts

- Magnificient

Beach Clip 4, loud drumms, loops and riffs in the beginning, you can hear Bono singing "Magnificent" first (yes! it's also in bc4), very melodic, one of the best songs on the album, but also very close to "classic" U2. Many layers, very strong ending.

- Moment of Surrender

One of the slowest songs on the album, very strongly influenced by the Fez-sessions, strings, keyboards, sounds a little like Passengers, Bono sings with a scratchy voice first, than very melodic, many sound layers, Edge has an expressive, but slow guitar solo, the song has an oh oh oh chorus.

- Unknown Caller

Known as Beach Clip 1: Birds chirping, electronic noises, keyboards in the beginning, a mixture of classic and more "broken" sounds, sung with two voices (don't know if it means only Bono or Bono and Edge). Chorus: "Restart and reboot yourself" and: "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning". Edge has a very strong guitar solo, Bono singing over calm keyboard sounds. Lyrics: "Escape yourself and gravity"

-I'll go crazy if I don`t go crazy tonight

It's one of the shorter songs on the album, carried by Larry's strong drumming, but also interrupted by calm sequences. Resembles SYCMIOYO in some parts, the end is very similar to Ultraviolet. Political lyrics, Bono sings: "There's a part of me that wants to riot" and, later: "Every generation get's a chance to change the world". Would be a good second or third single.

- Get on your boots

First single, placed perfectly on the album, more light-hearted after all the dense and complex songs.

- Stand up comedy

Clearly influenced by Edge's sessions with Jack White and Jimmi Page. Sounds very 70s and would fit on the "Across the universe" soundtrack. Very rocking, catchy, Edge is "on fire", sounds like a single.

- Fez – being born

- White as snow

Very calm song, short. Begins with atmospheric electronic sounds, then accoustic guitar, Bono sings like Johnny Cash, very intensive vocals. The song is about forgiving and about estranged brothers. Sounds a bit like Springhill Mining Disaster.

- Breathe

Beach Clip 2. Loud drums in the beginning, Bono's muffled singing, the chorus sounds like classic U2. Strings, but always broken by Edge's guitar. Intense and complex sound, a little bit like UTEOTW.

- Cedars of Lebanon

Dark song. Keyboards, minimalistic guitar parts, Bono talks more than he sings, is very dominant on the track. Strong bass line, sounds a bit like "Velvet Dress". Bono takes the perspective of a war correspondent in Lebanon. Edge sings the repeated part: "Return the call to home".

Thanks, LU. :wave:

From all the little leaks and stuff I have heard, everything sounds really great and looks like it's definitely not going to be straight up experimental or traditional. More like an evolution of U2's sound by being imaginitive and challenging while at the same time not straying too far from what they're already great at. :up:

I love what I have heard from the beach clips and what I have read about the rest but I still only like the music surrounding Unknown Caller. The little "OOH-ooh-ooh-ooh-o-OHH!" chorus part is annoying to me, and I don't like the flow or sound of it at all. Magnificent/Breathe/Crazy are all great though. :hyper:

Björn says it similar to AB musically and atmospherically, but has also elements of U2's last two records, but, as he puts it, not too many and in a more decent way. He says it's a very complex record, not an "easy" album, you have to listen to it more than once, but he went out happy after the listening and thought U2 have made a great album.

ESPN heard new album....

having worked here for a while and getting music cleared for projects all the time, i have heard only these couple things.

unknown caller will be a great rollout song

what this means is it would be a great song for like a "best of the year" type montage. it also means this song has an epic quality to it.

this person heard the whole album at a screening on Monday

I don't know if it was here or in NYC, but the person was the only person in the music dept to hear it. He had the same rules as everyone else, couldn't take notes and only had a couple of listens.

in this persons opinion-boots is ranked 9 out of 11

its not that boots wasn't liked, but other songs had more juice. I may get to hear it in a couple of weeks when it gets delivered. I know this doesn't help many people here and I wasn't the one asking the questions but I will report as soon as I know more.

I'm putting all this in one post to make it easier to read:
GREAT JOB last unicorn :up: x infinity. :applaud:

Says Bono's vocals are very good, often very melodic, the falsetto is also back, Edge can also be heard singing a lot

- No Line on the Horizon

is a clear statement for the new direction, heavy guitars, a slow sectionin the middle, atmospheric and dense, a lot of different vocal parts

- Magnificent

Beach Clip 4, loud drumms, loops and riffs in the beginning, you can hear Bono singing "Magnificent" first (yes! it's also in bc4), very melodic, one of the best songs on the album, but also very close to "classic" U2. Many layers, very strong ending.

- Moment of Surrender

One of the slowest songs on the album, very strongly influenced by the Fez-sessions, strings, keyboards, sounds a little like Passengers, Bono sings with a scratchy voice first, than very melodic, many sound layers, Edge has an expressive, but slow guitar solo, the song has an oh oh oh chorus.

- Unknown Caller

Known as Beach Clip 1: Birds chirping, electronic noises, keyboards in the beginning, a mixture of classic and more "broken" sounds, sung with two voices (don't know if it means only Bono or Bono and Edge). Chorus: "Restart and reboot yourself" and: "I was lost between the midnight and the dawning". Edge has a very strong guitar solo, Bono singing over calm keyboard sounds. Lyrics: "Escape yourself and gravity"

-I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

- Get on Your Boots

- Stand Up Comedy

- Fez – Being Born

- White as Snow

- Breathe

- Cedars of Lebanon

That's it.

He says that GOYB is the song he finds to be the weakest on the album. He said the only thing that irritated him was that Crazy Tonight had a rhythmical break in the middle that he thought wasn't so great. He says most songs are mid-tempo, two or three are slow, GOYB and Stand Up Comedy are the only "really " Uptempo songs. Says the whole album is much more "heavy" than the last two records.

so if there is any transition it's definitely from day to night, or uplifting to dark, however you want to look at it :)

So it sounds like bc5 could well be MOS... Which excites me greatly. Of course, it could be EBW. But this reviewer documented his oh-oh-oh choruses, so it seems unlikly that there's another one floating around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom