Introducing u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCOSTER

ONE love, blood, life
Since Bono is on the cover of Time, alot of friends who were uninterested suddenly became a little interested. Therefore, what song or album would you introduce to someone who has never ever heard U2?
Best possible album or song to get them hooked.:wink:

I'd start out with The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, then they can go after Hunky Dory when they're hooked. Low later on.

Wait...

Joshua Tree, ATYCLB, then Zooropa. Make them feel all safe n' stuff, then when they lean over the U2 pool kick them right in face first to Zooropa

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Actually at the moment, I'm putting my friend through some U2 therapy (she's a huge coldplay fan and refuses to think that anyone can be better than them) and so far I've given her Achtung Baby and now she has Joshua Tree... Its interesting to see what songs she likes---on AB, it was One, Mysterious Ways and Ultraviolet. Umm for the most part she thinks Bono sounds like a creepy old man :madspit:

I agree---both of the best of's are probably good choices too, and ATYCLB.

I'd make a personal mix of their more well known songs

WOWY
Streets
ISHFWILF
Sunday...
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Mysterious Ways
One

then make one of the lesser known songs

Lancemc said:
The Joshua Tree. No doubt their most accessable and appealing album.

Yep, some of my friends who don't even like u2 admit that they like this album - which is something as lots of them are pretty anti-u2

Definitely start with ATYCLB. They might recognize songs that way, 'cause Beautiful Day and Stuck In A Moment are pretty popular songs.

Then Joshua Tree, and then introduce them to ultimate coolness with POP. :wink:

That's also the order in which I discovered U2 myself, by the way. :)

The Joshua Tree of course. Or the Best of 80's because it's probably the easiest music to get into U2 with.

Then maybe Achtung. or the Best of 90's. the best of 90's doesnt really have the good song selection most would put on it, so AB would probably be better.

Push Pop till way later... you don't want to turn them off to the band THAT quickly. :wink:

1. Best of
2. How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (one of my favorites and it's up for a Grammy!!)
3. Achtung Baby

The optimum choice would be to make your selection, if not here is the order I would use:

Best of 1980-1990 // this would enable them to see some good old school U2
ATYCLB // familiar songs with good melodies
Bomb // Recent and therefore likely to enable them to enjoy "new U2"
The Joshua Tree // The classic
Achtung Baby // Introduce them to some modern gritty sounding U2
Unforgettable Fire // Now show them how U2 can be soft and melodic, not just rocky
Pop // Now they can see how U2 reinvent themselves and sound crazy
War // Show them the political themes and motivations that power U2
Zooropa // U2 at their experimental peak?
Boy // Show them how U2 were making classic songs at the age of 20
Rattle & Hum // U2 doing blues *sigh* but with the great songs of Desire, AIWIY etc
October // erm..beautiful..october
Best of 1990-2000 // show them how U2 suck at choosing good music

Or, perhaps a better idea would be to show them the DVDs. Its my personal opinion that U2 come across best live. When they see all those people, they will feel stupid for not liking them sooner.

I suggest:

Slane
ZOO TV
Popmart
Boston
Vertigo (they will be prepared for more talking now)
Rattle&Hum
RedRocks

Joshua-to see their greatness
ATYCLB-to see safe mode of playing
Achtung-to feel their badness
War-to see the rising
Pop-to see what can they do with only 2 guitars, bass guitar, drums and piano

Tell them to buy "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb" and tell them which songs to pay particular attention to.

They'll work their way back, buy them all, and love tham all - almost guaranteed.

:)

Best of 80-90 (Its got all their great anthems/appeals to the masses)
HTDAAB (because its awesome and its their latest)
Then hit'em w/ Achtung Baby (their best but you need to get to know the band a little better before this one)
Then Joshua Tree

I'd say go with ATYCLB and the best of 80-90. The best of 90-00 might be a bad step, I wasn't impressed with it, but playing Final Fantasy 7 with it on in the background turned me around. Now it's the soundtrack to that game for me. So as I was saying ATYCLB and 80-90

Back
Top Bottom