Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VI: Return of Lance's Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's definitely the most well-made and generally awe inspiring of the Trek movies, but it's also the most dated and doesn't feel like a Trek movie at all, to me at least. All of the fun and spark from the Original Series has been completely sapped out of it. That sequence where Spock travels into V'Ger is a prime example... it should be this exhilarating, engrossing experience, but instead, it drags like a wet mop. Seeing it in on a huge motherfucking screen will make it better, but not by much.

That being said, it's good for a watch every once and a while, and I'd put it firmly in the middle of my Trek Movie Rankings:

Wrath of Khan
The Undiscovered Country
First Contact
The Voyage Home
The Search for Spock
The Motionless Picture
Generations
Nemesis
Final Frontier
Insurrection

I'd even give you The Undiscovered Country and First Contact over it, I love those two as well, but the Voyage Home suffers the most of all of these from "50-minute Trek TV-sode stretched to twice its length", complete with lousy production and stilted acting which really isn't acceptable after the previous two films. And even The Undiscovered Country, as good as it is comes off as little more than a Khan rerun.

I'd even give you The Undiscovered Country and First Contact over it, I love those two as well, but the Voyage Home suffers the most of all of these from "50-minute Trek TV-sode stretched to twice its length", complete with lousy production and stilted acting which really isn't acceptable after the previous two films. And even The Undiscovered Country, as good as it is comes off as little more than a Khan rerun.

That's fair, I just prefer to watch that one even if it's overly comical, you know?

Undiscovered Country's political allegory may be heavy-handed, but it separates it enough from Wrath of Khan to stand on its own, even if you've got the Valeris/Saavik and Chang/Khan parallels a-brewin'.

The Search for Spock doesn't get enough praise.

Can one skip part V and go right to VI? Or are there story lines that carry over?

Also, Khan is damned good fun, but I honestly think First Contact is the best Trek film.

Yeah, V is entirely skippable.

As terrible as V is, it's the one movie that really follows the Kirk/Spock/Bones-centric idea of the Original Series, even if the rest of it sucks. I can only imagine how it would've been without the severe budget limitations and studio interference.

I'm down with First Contact as a solid #2/3... the way Picard owns that movie is something else, and I'm always a sucker for time paradox and of course, the motherfucking Borg.

Ehhh...a little strange. I mean, the twist at the end of EP is going to make this film, what, a police procedural?

Something like that I guess. Could be really cool though, a deep undercover agent at the head of a crime family. I'd like to see it. And had the first film come out last year instead of the over-excellent 2007, it would probably have been my #1.

Something like that I guess. Could be really cool though, a deep undercover agent at the head of a crime family. I'd like to see it. And had the first film come out last year instead of the over-excellent 2007, it would probably have been my #1.

Plus the Viggo/Cronenberg combo need to keep making movies together stat.

This cracked me up:

TENENBAUM FAIL

Ok, the girl with "I fucked Prof. Brown" written on her chest is pretty hot. And she's obviously into older guys.

docbrown.jpg

"Her pussy was THIS BIG, Marty!"

You know that new stroke you're looking for? Well, watch this.

This Adventureland movie starring my girl Kristen Stewart is chillin at 90% right now on Rotten Tomatoes. I wants to see it.

It's got Bill Hader in it. It has to kick ass.

Speaking of which, I'm flabbergasted I liked Hot Rod as much as I did.

It is a pretty bad ass poster. And I'm just going to sit here and pretend I don't already know who she is.

That poster/tagline truly is great. So great that it replaced Lance's usual Asian-centric sig/av. Awesome stuff.

Also, Lance. Did you see my reply to your message that you sent me the other day?

If there's any contemporary American that can bump the Wong out from my profile for a time it's the Bergh.

And yes, I did.

And The Bergh's got this and that one with Matt Damon coming out this year? Fucking fantastic.

Cool, just checking.

Back
Top Bottom