"If God Will Send His Angels" Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I saw U2 opening night in Vegas. Not the best show but it was fun to go see them opening night with all the hype surrounding Popmart. Plus I was only 19 yrs old.

I remember looking foward to hear IGWSHA live and they did play it. In fact they played it with the whole band. It was one of the better songs live off the new album (that night).

Was IGWSHA played with the full band any other night? I know they played it for a while with just Edge & Bono. It sounded ok, but not as good as the full band version. I miss the Popmart. :sad:

i have never heard the full band version....just bono and edge.....that would sound interesting.

Yeah check it out. Its from the first Popmart show in Las Vegas. Now if anyone knows if they played it another night w/ the full band. :huh:

I think that's the only night they played it full band (maybe 1 other show early on in Popmart?).

Cuz it really flopped live. :reject:

didn't Do you feel love also flop?

I just read at U2tours.com that the second show they only played a part of the song.........looks like the first night was the only night.

Last edited:
Do You Feel Loved sounded find until the end. It just kept going and going, plus Bono voice started to go out. Rough night.

I heard an mp3 of doyoufeelloved in vegas and it was very decent. Maybe it needed a bit more of rearshal, but it would surely grow along the tour, just like walk on did on elevation since the initial live versions were crap. It's a pitty they've dropped dyfl live, i really like that one.

bono_man2002 said:
i'm sure it was played full band for about 5-6 of the first leg popmart shows

The full band version of IGWSHA was only played at the LV show. They did the Bono/Edge version any other time it was done. Do You Feel Loved was played up to the Tempe 5-9-97 Tempe show. It was dropped after that show and never returned. Edge commented at the time that they felt it slowed the pacing of the show down to much and they didnt think it worked well live. I disagree on the working well, but do agree that it should have appeared elsewhere in the setlist. So DYFL was played 6 times total.

Heh Blue Room have you heard any rehersals of "The Playboy Mansion". I had a magazine which showed a setlist titled "Not set in stone", which was used during rehersals. Anyway, Playboy Mansion was played on the B-stage along with Miss Sarajevo (played once on the tour). The only time they even mentioned Playboy Mansion was at the end of Streets.

Just think, the first night of Popmart featured 10 songs from Pop.

It's ironic that most of the best songs from POP, never made it live on-stage after a few attempts isn't it? My favourites from POP were If God Will Send, Do You Feel Loved and The Playboy Mansion - Miami should've been a B-Side really. The only real live success from that album has been Gone, Please and Last Night On Earth IMHO - Mofo doesn't really work without all the glitz of the big screen, the POPMUSIK intro and the lemon; Larry and Adam don't seem to want to be involved with Staring At The Sun or Wake Up Dead Man; Discotheque was alright (but it too needs a lemon!!) and Miami sorta goes nowhere:huh:

ginger edge said:
It's ironic that most of the best songs from POP, never made it live on-stage after a few attempts isn't it? My favourites from POP were If God Will Send, Do You Feel Loved and The Playboy Mansion - Miami should've been a B-Side really. The only real live success from that album has been Gone, Please and Last Night On Earth IMHO - Mofo doesn't really work without all the glitz of the big screen, the POPMUSIK intro and the lemon; Larry and Adam don't seem to want to be involved with Staring At The Sun or Wake Up Dead Man; Discotheque was alright (but it too needs a lemon!!) and Miami sorta goes nowhere:huh:

They were having timing problems for Staring At The Sun. They played it full band up to the Washington DC show and they had a ton of problems with it throughout. Thats why they switched to doing it acoustically. It wasnt because Larry and Adam didnt want to play it.

I disagree completely about Mofo. I felt and still feel it was one of their stronger openers. I think its hard to say that a song doesnt work without the glitz when it has never been performed without it. Mofo hasnt been played since Popmart. Also, the Lemon wasnt used for Mofo? Unless you count it sitting off to the side? People said the same things though about The Fly after the Zoo tour stating that it needed the Zoo TV glitz and screens to work. Personally I felt it was one of the stronger songs played live on the Elevation tour and that was without the glitz. Also I think Discotheque was actually better on Elevation versus Popmart. It had to much glitz on Popmart and the more stripped down version done on Elevation was better. Not one of my favorite U2 songs though, but it is ok and I prefer the Elevation version.

I do agree though about Playboy Mansion, its seems to be one of the whipping boy songs by alot of U2 fans but actually I really like it. It was rehearsed several times in LV. There is no recording of it being rehearsed that is in circulation currently. I think it had the potential to be a great live song. But the production costs (Bono wanted inflatable clear huge lottery balls with a video image of him singing the song to flow through the audience while being played) and pacing of the setlist made it a casualty unfortunately.

Last edited:
Are you serious about the Lottery Balls?:ohmy: That would have been sweet. I thought they could have put the Playboy Mansion on the last encore. Maybe after MW and before One. It has a closing feel to it.

I agree with MOFO. That song was great opener, especially when they got the sequencers playing in the background. It was real raw during the first leg as it started out with Larry just playing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom