I was bored....(Bono/Ali related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kellyahern said:

Do you have the "In Conversation" book? That has a lot of good quotes :)

If not, I might be able to type some tomorrow from that or this weekend.

I do have it, but haven't read it all yet :reject:

Thanks, Flavia, I'll take a look at those. My only concern is that I want to get as many articles that are primarily about Ali and not about Bono, but happen to mention Ali, if you know what I mean.

I'm trying to finish compiling the pics from Kelly's account tonight and will start on the photo album next....

Nevermind, I won't be getting to the photos after all tonight. I'm having a reaction to some food I just ate so I'm going to bed. :huh:

kellyahern said:

Do you have the "In Conversation" book? That has a lot of good quotes :)

If not, I might be able to type some tomorrow from that or this weekend.

Nope, but I was planning to buy it as soon as I finish "I was Bono's...."

:hyper:

Is it any good?

No more kids for Bono says Ali...

Bono's Sweetest thing, his wife Ali Hewson, has spoken exclusively to ShowBizIreland.com last week admitting that the couple will never have any more children.

Speaking in U2's hotel The Clarence last Thursday Ali said, "The house is full enough. No more Kids. That's it we are done and we are very happy. Definitely no more kids we are over run as it is."

But, Bono is not the only man Ali is laying down the law with. The Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern and the British Prime Minister Tony Blair are also coming under fire from Mrs Bono.

"I'm actually going into see the Irish government this week. I have something I am organizing for this year but is nothing like the charity fashion show I organized. It is about Sellafield. I'm really trying to get everybody to do something."

She went on, "Since September 11th I have definitely been more conscious. Who knows what terrorists will do. Sellafield can't be fully protected. We will lobby the Irish government. Not just Bertie Ahern. We will be going after Tony Blair as well."

Ali also spoke about the couple being refused planning permission for a whole new floor on the couple's Killiney home recently.

"We didn't get permission but that's okay. An Taisce are doing a good job and keeping an eye out for everybody. So, as long as we are treated the same as everybody else that's fine. I am not bothered because it's one less thing to worry about this year."

Ali was joined in the Clarence by the lead singer of The Cranberries Dolores O'Riordan and Adi Roche, the director of the Chernobyl Children's project to launch The Cranberries new single "Time is Ticking Out" which is in aid of the charity and was inspired by Ali's work for the charity.

cher-ali+jay01.jpg

Ali & a Cranberry Time Out in Bono's pad...

Bono's wife, Ali Hewson, The Cranberries', Dolores O’Riordan, and Chernobyl Children's Projects' Adi Roche met in U2's Clarence Hotel in Dublin yesterday.

They met to announce that The Cranberries will be donating profits from the world wide sales of their new single "Time Is Ticking Out" to the Chernobyl Children's Project.

Dolores was moved to write the song after speaking to Ali Hewson, Patron of the Chernobyl Children's Project.

Speaking to ShowBizIreland.com yesterday Dolores said, "I wrote Time Is Ticking Out last year and I had just given birth to my second child, a beautiful healthy little girl. It was at this time that I read an article in an paper which featured The Chernobyl Children’s Project and showed pictures of these kids that are still being born with so many illnesses. I had spoken briefly with Ali on the subject before this, but I was so moved, almost to tears, that I wrote Time Is Ticking Out."

She went on "It was inspired by the children and I hope I can raise awareness on this issue. It shouldn't be like this - we must do something about it."

Founded in 1991 by Adi Roche, the Chernobyl Children's Project is Ireland's first and largest charity helping the child victims of the world's worst nuclear disaster, which occurred on 26th April 1986 at the Chernobyl nuclear plant in the Ukraine.

Adi Roche pays tribute to the Cranberries saying that hope will be given to countless people because of their single Time is Ticking Out.

"I am deeply moved by this act of kindness. There is nothing in life more precious than life itself - thank you for helping to protect it."

Time Is Ticking Out is released 15th February 2002.

cher-trio05.jpg

cher-ali02.jpg

TEXT OF THE INTRODUCTORY ADDRESS delivered by PROFESSOR R. CURTIS,National University of Ireland, Galway, on 29th June, 2002, on the occasion of theconferring of the Degree of Doctor of Laws, honoris causa, jointly on ALI HEWSON and ADI ROCHE

On April 26th 1986, the unthinkable occurred, the explosion of a nuclear reactor in Chernobyl and the worst man-made disaster of our time unfolded. The scale of the disaster, though initially shrouded in secrecy is now well known — the 4-day struggle to contain the fire, the 30km exclusion zone, the evacuation of 15,000 people from their homes and the 2000 dead from radiation sickness. This calamitous event brought both radioactive and economic fallout on over 4 million men, women and children in Belarus,the Ukraine and Russia, most of whom are still living with the horrendous consequences16 years later.Today we honour two remarkable women — Ali Hewson and Adi Roche - who have madean extraordinary contribution to environmental issues generally, and to the Children ofChernobyl specifically. Adi Roche is the founder and Executive Director of the ChernobylChildren Project, an Irish registered charity, and Ali Hewson is its active working patron.Tireless and seasoned campaigners for those innocent victims of the nuclear disaster,they continue through diverse aid programmes to improve survivors’ health care intandem with raising awareness of the ever present danger of another such accident occurring, particularly close to our shores in Sellafield.

So where did this commitment to others begin? Ali was born to Terry and Joy Stewart in Dublin in 1961. She was educated at MountTemple Comprehensive School and at University College Dublin where as a mature student she was awarded a Bachelor of Social Science degree. She is married to Paul Hewson better known as Bono, one of the most famous singers in the world and acclaimed Drop the World Debt campaigner. This year they are celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary with their four children -Jordan, Eve, Elijah and John Abraham.Deeply moved by the news images of the famine in Ethiopia, Ali spent 5 weeks in 1985 working on a famine relief project. Informed by this experience, she returned homeimbued with the belief that long term preventative strategies is the way forward, not short-term relief.Following the birth of her older children, she became particularly aware of environmental issues and became involved with Greenpeace campaigning against the Sellafield Nuclear Plant. On April 26th this year, the 16th anniversary of Chernobyl, the latest stage of the Shut Sellafield campaign was launched with 1.3 million postcards urging its closure being sent to Prime Minister Tony Blair, Prince Charles and Norman Askew, head of British Nuclear Fuels. Ali personally delivered a giant sized card to number 10 Downing Street of an eye withthe slogan ‘Tony, look me in the eye and tell me I am safe. ’ Ali was invited by Adi Roche to produce and narrate the first English documentary, BlackWind-White Land, Living with Chernobyl, which Adi had initiated, researched and coordinated.

This award-winning documentary dramatically brought the story of
Chernobyl to our consciousness and was viewed on national television throughout the world. This was the beginning of the partnership that has delivered so much to the Children of Chernobyl.

Having worked for a number of years in Aer Lingus, Adi took voluntary redundancy towork full-time as a volunteer for the Irish Campaign for nuclear disarmament. She devised a Peace Education programme and delivered it in over 50 schools throughoutIreland. In 1990 she became the first Irish woman elected to the Board of Directors of theInternational Peace Bureau in Geneva. In 1991 filled with compassion and a zeal tocontribute, she established the Chernobyl Children’s Project.She is author of the book Children of Chernobyl. Her dedication to this cause has beenrecognised by several awards including European Woman Laureate and Irish Person ofthe Year — both in 1994, the Belarus National Honour in 1996 and an honorary Doctor ofLaws from University of Alberta, Canada 1998. Adi’s and Ali’s numerous visits to Belarus and their key involvement in the documentaries,Black Wind — White Land, Living with Chernobyl, Deaths Dream Kingdom and Alexei Child of Chernobyl consolidated their continuing commitment to ensure that an accidentof this magnitude and its tragic consequences should never occur again. (We are verypleased that Alexei and his parents Chris & Len Barrett are here with us today).Fortified by the support and shared values and belief systems of their husbands Seán, Bono and of their extended families, the humanitarian record of Adi and Ali fills one with awe. Whether utilising their driving skills leading humanitarian aid convoys to Belarus ortheir communication skills bringing the cause to governments, school-children, businessorganisations and voluntary groups or using their persuasive and organisational skills inraising funds for the Project, one thing is certain -The Chernobyl Children’s project has had a major impact not only in helping the survivors to a better standard of health carebut also in implementing orphanage refurbishment and in the introduction of nursing programmes in Belarus. To date over Euro26 million has been raised and distributed. These funds underpin Operation Hope Humanitarian Aid convoys of which there have been 19, the Summer Rest and Recuperation Programmes where to date, 8,500 children have come to Ireland for short stays to help reduce levels of radioactivity. The Life saving operations and medical care programme where over 60 children have been brought to Ireland for surgery and hundreds of terminally ill children come to Paul Newman’s gang camp at Barrettstown each year.

Adi and Ali’s contribution furthermore ranges across community care and hospice programmes in Belarus while they are continuously involved in research and education in collaboration with the United Nations. They negotiated a historic adoption agreement between Belarius and Ireland for the rights of the Chernobyl child being adopted.

Due primarily to this dynamic duo - Ali Hewson and Adi Roche, Ireland is the largest donor country of aid to Belarus and thus it was not surprising that Kofi Annan, SecretaryGeneral of the United Nations looked to Ireland and particularly to the Executive Director and Patron of CCP to mount an exhibition of Chernobyl for the 15th anniversary of the nuclear accident in the UN in New York in 2001. The Chernobyl legacy was demonstrated through digital imagery, photographs and sculpture and in 2002, it had its European Premiere in Dublin. The exhibition has had a profound impact on all those who have seen it, particularly those too young or not yet born at the time of the explosion. Energetic, committed, passionate and selfless are just some of the attributes that come to mind when one reflects on the life and work to date of these women. Three of their parents are in the audience with us today - Terry and Joy Stewart and Chriss Roche (Adi’s dad sadly died recently). They must feel an enormous sense of pride in their daughters’ achievements and know that in their parenting of them, they did something remarkably right.

Recently Ali Hewson said and I quote — ‘I don’t want to end my life feeling I’ve only looked after myself, that everything I did was to protect myself. I want when I die to believe that I’ve achieved what I was supposed to — this is help other people in whatever way I can.’ Adi Roche in an interview a short time ago referred to the work she does as inspiring and I quote — ‘I think it is a privilege and an honour to do what I’m doing and I get it back a hundred fold. If I can in someway reach out and change the lives of other people even in a small way, then it is all worthwhile.’

Adi and Ali have certainly lived up to their philosophy of life, have reached out and helped thousands of people. This is all the more remarkable when one considers that the alternative could be a life of comfort and even indeed a life of celebrity. These two women are powerful role models for men and women, for young and old. They are truly outstanding humanitarians.

Chancellor it is an honour and a privilege for me to present Ali Hewson and Adi Roche jointly for the degree Doctor of Laws.
PRAEHONORABILIS CANCELLARIE, TOTAQUE UNIVERSITAS:praesento vobis, has meas filias quas omnes scio tam moribus quam doctrina habiles etidoneas esse quae admittantur, honoris causa, ad gradum Doctoratus in utroque Jure,tam Civili quam Canonico, idque tibi fide mea testur ac spondeo totaeque Academiae.

NUIG-Doctorate1.jpg

Last edited:
Ali attacks Tesco over protest snub

TESCO is still refusing to stock postcards calling for the closure of Sellafield, despite criticism from Bono's wife Ali Hewson yesterday.

The Stop Sellafield campaign fronted by Ms Hewson has already been forced to scrap a €200,000 TV and radio advertising campaign, which included celebrities Ronan Keating and Samantha Mumba, because of rules on political advertising. And yesterday a spokesperson for Tesco reiterated its stance saying it was the group's policy not to facilitate political pressure groups fundraising or campaigning in its stores.

The supermarket giant was reacting to Ms Hewson's comments that it was a "pity" and a "shame" that it was refusing to stock the postcards which are addressed to British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Prince Charles and Norman Askew, chief executive of British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL).

The pre-paid postcards, which are available in rival supermarkets Superquinn and Dunnes Stores, are to be posted out to every household. And the plan is that people will post them off to arrive on the 16th anniversary of Chernobyl on April 26.

"Tesco have refused and they've refused based on the fact that they say it's a pressure group, which it's not. I don't know how you can call a whole nation a pressure group, but that's their basis for refusing," she said on RTE's Liveline yesterday.

"We consider it to be a health or environmental issue, not political at all."

Bono’s Designing Woman

Bono's got quite a busy year ahead of him given all his new U2 commitments, but his wife Ali has no intention of twiddling her thumbs while her man’s away making music. (The U2 world tour kicks off in Florida on March 1; check out our Craic pages for more.)

Ali is hard at work on her own clothing line which she’ll call Edin. Set to launch next year, the garments are going to be made by fair trade workers — i.e., no mass production sweatshops involved — and they’ll include casual items like jeans and sweaters.

Mrs. Hewson, 43, wore a pair of her Edin jeans to a recent function in Dublin, according to a report in the Sunday Independent. “These jeans are just as nice as any designer pair of jeans, and yet there is the added bonus of knowing that they are fair trade,” she said. Prada and Versace watch out!

An A-list designer is reportedly helping Ali craft her line, which will hopefully make its way to U.S. stores early in the New Year. Maybe her husband and his U2 colleagues will wear the designs during their tour.

“She’s looking at a new way of doing business in apparel,” Bono said a while back of Ali’s plans. “It may be one of the biggest brands in the next few years, so watch out.”

Ali Hewson really is the antithesis of a rock star wife. She’s heavily involved in charity work in Ireland, and raising the four children she and Bono have. All the profits from Edin will go towards wages and insurance benefits for the fair trade workers in the Third World that produce the items.

Last week in Dublin, Ali and her partner in the Chernobyl Children’s Project, former Irish presidential candidate Adi Roche, launched a line of Christmas cards designed by some of Ireland’s leading artists. Again, all proceeds will go to various children’s charities, including the Chernobyl effort.

bonosd1.jpg

Ethical couture

Sunday, March 06, 2005 - By Susan Mitchell

Fashion houses have an understandable horror of having their designs copied.

Not Ali Hewson, founder of Edun. In fact, you could say her mission statement is to have the concept behind her new fashion label replicated the world over.

Hewson's goal is to build a business that makes beautiful clothing in developing countries, giving sustainable employment and providing trade potential.

“We want people to rip us off,” says Hewson of her business venture. “We are really trying to establish a business model with Edun.

“We want to prove that you can make a profit, while running a business in a responsible way.”

Convention demands the inclusion of certain statistics.

Like 6 per cent - Africa's share of world trade in 1980.

And 2 per cent - Africa's percentage of world trade in 2002. And $70 billion - what an additional 1 per cent share of global trade would earn the continent each year.

Hewson believes that long-term preventative strategies represent the way forward for developing countries. She is well versed in the inequitable trading terms doled out to them, and reels off world trade statistics like a seasoned economist.

“Rich countries subsidise their own agricultural sectors by about $1 billion per day,” she says.

“They dump their excess products in international markets at artificially low prices, and make it impossible for developing countries to compete.

“The US spends about $4 billion a year subsidising American cotton farmers.

“They then flood the market with it. It's unfair. It's a false economy, and just crushes African farmers.”

As a mother of four, Hewson knows such macroeconomics are also relevant in everyday life. “I would prefer to know that the clothes I buy for my children weren't made by someone else's children,” she says.

“I want to be able to buy clothes for me and for my family, knowing that no one was exploited en route, from concept to the finished product on the rails.”

Sitting in a suite in Dublin's Clarence Hotel, the stylish 43-year-old is gearing up for the New York launch of Edun, which she dubs “more sensual than bling'‘.

With factories set to roll in Peru and Tunisia, and a third planned for Lesotho, the Edun range which is being created by American designer Rogan Gregory, will encompass everything from jeans to chiffon dresses.

“At the moment, many people in these countries can't get regular jobs, so that is our starting point,” Hewson says. “People won't be paid below the minimum wag e, and we will be committed to helping local communities.

“We want to encourage as much employment as possible, so we're open to passing on information to anyone who wants it. And if people want to use our factories they are more than welcome.

“We are trying to do something. We are not going to get everything right. We're not 100 per cent organic. It's just not possible at the moment, as you can't dye jeans with natural dyes, for example. They just don't take.

“There are compromises you have to make - but the one thing we won't compromise on is how people are treated.”

Despite being married to one of the most famous men on the planet, U2 lead singer Bono, Hewson usually shuns the limelight. Hello-style spreads are a no-go.

She is better known for her environmental campaigning and patronage of the Chernobyl Children's Project than for any celebrity high jinks.

Neither does Hewson fit the stereotype rock star wife mould. Moved by news images of the famine in Ethiopia in the 1980s, she spent five weeks working on a famine relief project in 1985.

While U2 were promoting their Joshua Tree album in 1987, and being hailed as the most successful band in the world, Hewson was studying social science at University College Dublin (UCD).

She gave birth to their first child, Jordan, two weeks before her finals. The couple have since had another three children: Eve, Elijah and John Abraham.

Hewson remains a patron of the Chernobyl Children's Project, which is headed by Adi Roche. “That is my corner,” she says.

“I have seen children born with deformities and dying in orphanages. Children who have had their thyroid glands removed and will need to take medicine for the rest of their lives - if they can get it.

“I will never forget those images.”

She presented an award-winning documentary on the devastating aftermath of the disaster. Hewson and Roche have been credited with ensuring that Ireland is the largest donor of aid to Belarus.

“I have a big commitment to the children, and also to Adi. She is an incredible woman. What I love about her is that she works so hard to ensure that as much money as possible ends up in Belarus,’' Hewson says.

Hewson's experience at Belarus increased her awareness of the dangers of the nuclear power plants closer to home, the Sellafield and Thorp reactors.

In 2002, she fronted a campaign for Greenpeace in which 1.5 million postcards featuring an anti-Sellafield message were sent from Irish households to the British prime minister, the Prince of Wales and the head of British Nuclear Fuels.

Hewson says that concerns over her children's welfare compelled her to act on Sellafield. “I started to wonder how safe it was for them to play on the beach, or to swim in the sea, or even to eat fish.

“They have promised they will stop processing waste there by 2012.We're hoping that they will stick to that.”

Not surprisingly, Hewson is inundated by requests from charities seeking representation from a star with clout.

“There are so many great charities out there, but if you stretch yourself too far, you become ineffectual. You end up helping nobody, and just frustrate everyone.

“When I read about the work various charities are doing, I often think that I could do something to help, but you just have to hope that someone else will run with it,” she says. Of course, Hewson is not the only person in her household with charitable and social aims, and she has been credited as having a huge influence on her husband's political outlook.

Bono has devoted a huge amount of time to Jubilee 2000, a campaign that lobbies western governments to cancel the debts of Third-World nations.

As other celebrity marriages fall by the wayside, the remarkable strength of Hewson's marriage is a talking point.

The two met at Mount Temple interdenominational school in north Dublin, and married when they were both 22 years old, with Adam Clayton as best man.

“I'm lucky I have an extraordinary friend that I've been married to for a long time, seems like [since] we were kids,” Bono said in a recent interview.

“We have definitely been on the journey together,” says Hewson. “But we have been influenced as much by outside factors as we have been by each other. We grew up in an era when images of people starving were on TV screens. That makes a real impression on you at any age.

“Bono and I share a passion for seeing trade replace aid and justice replace charity. Charity is about sticking your arm in a hole in the dam, when really the dam just needs to be rebuilt.

“Charities highlight the areas that governments often ignore - but governments need to do more. We should be trying to improve the quality of life for those in other countries.”

Bono's tireless work for debt relief secured him a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize. What was the reaction to the news was like at home? “It's his third time.

“He's just normally much further down the list,” she jokes. “Ah no, we're delighted. It's obviously a great honour.”

Given the phenomenal success of U2, you don't need to be a sceptic to wonder how the Hewsons reconcile their huge personal wealth with their social conscience.

“I think many people who live in the west can ask themselves that question,” Hewson says. “Two-thirds of the world live with less than a third of the wealth.

“It's not really a question of scale. We are talking about people living on less than $2 a day. Bono and I have always had a conscience about that, and our privilege has been our ability to highlight it.

“Of course there's a difficulty in equating the two, but you have to live your life. If Bono didn't have the financial resources, he wouldn't have been able to do half of what he has done.”

Contrary to past media reports, one of which touted her for the presidency of this country, Hewson says she has never been approached to run for any type of political office.

“I was never approached. I'm interested in Irish politics, but I am not interested in working in politics,” she says.

“Would that mean Bono would have to give up his day job? I'm not sure I'd get him to walk a few steps behind me.

“I have four kids, and it's very full-on.

“There are a lot of people out there who could do a better job than I could.”

And Bono?

“I don't really know. He's a work in progress,’' Hewson says. “When I first met him at school, I never thought we'd be here, so God knows where we'll end up in 10 years' time.

“At the moment, he is looking after the day job. That's what gives him the platform to go and look after his other interests.”

Unlike many celebrities, Hewson and Bono have largely kept their private lives well away from the tabloids. Famous for being talented, as opposed to famous for being famous, they don't have to rely on Big Brother to remind the public that they exist.

“I've always maintained that someone has to be able to go and buy the milk. I can do the ordinary stuff, and that has been a real positive for us,” says Hewson.

“Celebrity marriages are hard enough, but when both people are in the limelight it can be difficult. I don't know how they do it.

“The press are good to us here. The press aren't always as kind in other countries.

“The children have been able to grow up in a normal way, which is great. If that changed, we'd have to think of some sort of alternative, as it's just not fair.”

Hewson is a sincere and warm interviewee. She is happy to discuss her children and family life, but is determined that anything related to them remains off the record.

The long periods of separation from her husband can be difficult, she admits. “It can be really difficult to adjust to him being away. It can be difficult for him to readjust too.

“Bono always says that he feels like a bit of litter around the house, that I just want to tidy him away, when he comes back. But apart from practical adjustments like that, I usually find that we are much closer. You don't take each other for granted, like you do if you see each other every day. There is always something new to talk about.”

She and the children are preparing to move to the US for two months while U2 tour America.

“It has become a bit of a military operation,” she says. “I do sometimes become confused about who is due where and when. The kids are well-balanced, but if I thought for a minute that the children were suffering, I'd be worried and something would have to give.

“For me, the most important job I have is that of being a mother. That's the role I really don't want to fail at.”

The Edun range is due to hit the shelves later this month. It will be stocked at Brown Thomas in Ireland, and at selected department stores around the world.

Hewson, Bono and Edun chief executive Richard Cervera are the main shareholders.

And as the clothing line enters the shops, Bono appears happy to let his wife take centre stage.

“I think she has sacrificed more than I have, so I'm trying to balance that now,” he said in a recent interview. “It may be one of the biggest brands in the next few years, so watch out.”

Whatever the reaction to of the brand, Hewson's goal is an altruistic one. “I don't want to end my life feeling I've only looked after myself, that everything I did was to protect myself.

But she is not relying on altruism to secure Edun's success. “We want these clothes to sell on their own merit, because they are beautiful and well-made. At the end of the day, people want to look well - but where you spend your money says a lot about you.”

The revolution, she says, is all about how you shop.

Kelly, YOU HAVE SOOOO MANY ALI PICS!!!!!!! We're having a slow work day, more than half are on vacation or out sick, so I'm stuck covering the phones all day and since no one's calling, I've been saving pics from your photobucket and I'm only on 800 of 2500+, and that's only the first of your THREE Ali albums!!! :crack: hehe, at least this is keeping me occupied or I'd be bored out of my gourd.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Kelly, YOU HAVE SOOOO MANY ALI PICS!!!!!!! We're having a slow work day, more than half are on vacation or out sick, so I'm stuck covering the phones all day and since no one's calling, I've been saving pics from your photobucket and I'm only on 800 of 2500+, and that's only the first of your THREE Ali albums!!! :crack: hehe, at least this is keeping me occupied or I'd be bored out of my gourd.

Well, some of them might be repeats :shifty: :lol:

Band on The Run
from Time magazine, April 27, 1987

By Jay Cocks. Reported by Elizabeth L. Bland/ Phoenix

Bono has been flabbergasted to read that he and his wife Alison, another Mount Temple grad, live in a seaside castle near Dublin. "It's a little round tower," he laughs. "Three levels, three rooms." Domesticity presents its own problems. Although he, like the rest of the band, cherishes a bit of personal distance and privacy, Bono acknowledges, "My life is just a mess. When I am away, I'm not at home. When I'm home, I'm not at home. I come in when she is going out." Ali, who is studying politics at Dublin's University College, "is the dark eye," in the words of her admiring husband. "She will not be worn like a brooch. We have a stormy relationship because she is her own woman." While in Arizona, worried that she sounded a little depressed on the transatlantic phone, Bono asked his in-laws to "keep an eye on her. They must have rung her right away, because I got this phone call saying, 'I don't need a baby-sitter!' and she slammed down the phone." Ali made an unscheduled appearance in Arizona 48 hours later and stayed five days.

Irish Aid Convoy Flees Radiation Fire In Chernobyl
Cork Examiner, March 27, 1996

by Diarmuid MacDermot

ALI HEWSON spoke yesterday of her flight from a deadly radioactive cloud near Chernobyl.
Ali was with a convoy bringing aid to the victims of the world's worst ever nuclear accident when fires swept through five abandoned villages near the nuclear plant.

"Five villages were on fire," she said. "It sent radiation levels soaring into the atmosphere. The wind was carrying it south. That's exactly what happened in the first Chernobyl and it turned around and came back up to the north west."

"We got a speeding ticket on our way out. We got out of there as fast as we could," she said. "Had the wind caught up with us we would have been at high risk," she added. "We couldn't do anything until we got back and then we all had showers. It's very basic protection what people have out here!- what we have and that's what we brought with us. We weren't expecting to go into the exclusion zone or anything, or to be in any particularly highly contaminated areas on this trip.

"We were just going into where people are living and where the government permits them to live. We weren't in a highly contaminated zone but we were close to the exclusion zone.

Ali, perhaps best known as the wife of U2's Bono, was travelling with Operation Hope III, a mission of mercy carrying 2 million pounds' worth of equipment and medicine for the people of Belarus and western Russia which suffered some of the worst fallout from the blast. The convoy, consisting of 34 ambulances, two medical cars and four trucks packed with aid left Ireland earlier on this month. The mission was financed by donations from Irish people and was the latest venture to the Chernobyl area by Ali and the Chernobyl Children's Project.

The convoy was organised to coincide with the tenth anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster on April 26, 1986 while the power station originally exploded.

The UN has estimated that at least nine million people were affected in some way by the blast and Ukrainian officials say that 125,000 have already died.

This week's fires started among dried pines and abandoned homes in a village six miles from Chernobyl and quickly spread to the other four villages. Fire-fighters rushed to the scene in an attempt, to prevent the spread of the deadly radioactive particles.

Bono's Wife Brings Hope to the Children of Chernobyl
Sunday Mirror, April 27, 1997

She mixes with the rich and famous in Manhattan with her superstar husband.
But the thoughts of Ali Hewson, wife of U2's Bono, are thousands of miles in the cancer-ridden hell that is Chernobyl.

This weekend is the 11th anniversary of the explosion at the Chernobyl reactor, and Ali's played a major role in organising the biggest-ever aid convoy 1.5 miles long that arrived in Minsk yesterday.

Ali is no ordinary rock babe. Driving a truck with aid across Europe is more her style.

As patron of the Chernobyl Children's Project based in Cork she has led countless missions of mercy to a place where the death rate is higher than the birth rate.

"Ali doesn't travel like Princess Di on charity work," said a Project spokesman.

"She doesn't look for any special privileges but mucks in. You could be working alongside her and not realise her husband is worth £80 million and is in U2."

But this year Ali decided to put her husband first and accompany him on tour in America.

Yet she still phones the campaign's HQ at least once a day.

"She's a family woman too," said a project spokesman. "But she still keeps in close contact and knows exactly where the convoy is."

If you want to help, send your donations to Chernobyl Chiidren's Project P.O.Box 211, Cork.

"Life's too serious to be taken seriously." - Ali

"At the end of the day, I don't really care what people think, just so long as I feel strong enough about myself." - Ali

"Bono always says that he feels like a bit of litter around the house, that I just want to tidy him away." - Ali

"Yeah, Bono's always talking about how he's half Catholic and half Protestant. Now we know which half is Catholic." - Ali, about her pregnancy, on The Late Late Show, 12.15.00

BP FALLON: WHO'S YOUR HEROINE?
Bono: Ali. She's so sane although she chooses to live with me.

"They are kinda hip kids. They are great. But, I have to say it is their mother that has to take the credit for this. I love Ali and I adore my kids and I want to be there for them. But, I probably don't have the ummm..the actual mental capacity. Ummmm...to look after them as well as their mother. She kinda runs the show around here and I am just you know kinda tidied up occasionally and thrown out to work. They have parties here when I go on tour." - Bono, in a radio interview

"After introducing these beautiful women to my wife they all lost interest in me! They're her friends now." - Bono

BP: Do you believe in flying saucers?
BONO: In my kitchen they're an everyday thing.
BP: Have you ever seen one?
BONO: She's a good shot.

"Ali, my missus says "We are not 50,000 people...SHUT UP!" - Bono on Radio 1

"The best thing about Bono is Ali. She is calm and rational and able to see beyond individuals to policies." - Eamon Dunphy, U2 biographer, about Ali's influence on Bono's political development.

`It was my missus's Ali's birthday at the time which I'd actually forgotten about, so I thought I can write her a song as I didn't have time to get a gift. When it came to be released, Ali said 'I own that'.'' - Bono, about the song Sweetest Thing.

"After Live Aid, Bono and his wife Alison, spent 5 (unpublicised) weeks in Ethiopia, working as volunteers for World Vision on an educational relief project, where they attempted to educate people about health and hygiene through a series of songs and short plays." - From a U2 Interview CD/booklet by Mark Taylor.

"During the writing of "War", Bono suffered from writer's block and one of his abiding memories of making the album relates to how his wife, Ali, helped him through this traumatic period, especially in relation to "Sunday, Bloody Sunday". "She was literally kicking me out of bed in the morning, " Bono recalled. "She literally put the pen in my hand."" - From Into the Heart : The Stories Behind Every U2 Song by Niall Stokes.

Q. Do you believe in love at first sight?
A: Yeah, I fell in love with Ali the first time I saw her. Absolutely. And the last time.
- From an interview with Bono on 2CR FM, 18/11/00

"One day, a guy came to my house and said: 'I'm the angel of death.' My wife didn't let that confuse her. She said: 'How nice. Can you come back in, say, 40 years?' " . - Bono

Stream of Conscience

Vogue, February 22, 2005

Robert Sullivan

Stately, strong-voiced Paul Hewson, a.k.a. Bono, descended from the stairhead toward the beginning of an Irish day -- bearing not his sunglasses, amazingly, but his thick, strong-gripped hand, extended in gracious welcome. With Ali Hewson, his wife, working at her desk, with his daughter about to sit down to piano lessons, in a house that feels vast and yet warm only partly because of the fireplace that is crackling, he intones, in a somewhat gravelly but still immediately recognizable rock-star voice, "Come and have a look."

At which point, grabbing coat, he walks, semi-solemnically, down his stairs, out onto the terrace of the Hewson's little guest house, a terrace that sits high over the Irish Sea, that looks east toward Europe and, to be metaphoric about it, the world, which is what Bono, as is well known, is always looking at. He strolls relaxedly through his little guest house, its bathroom wall decorated with host-sanctioned graffiti, scribblings of the likes of Brian Eno, Bill Clinton, Salman Rushdie and Michael Stipe -- Stipe having mischievously signed in a corner, along, as his host gleefully notes, Bono's crack.

Out on the sea-facing terrace, Bono offers the complete ocean vista and points out the sights in the half-moon bay, including the nearby home of the Edge, a.k.a. U2's guitarist, and a mile or so away, a little Martello tower. A Martello tower, as any fan of obscure Irish literary landmarks will tell you, is a small military turret, one of dozens built along the Irish Coast from 1804 to 1815 to defend the country against a Napoleonic invasion. Since abandoned by the military, they have tended to be inhabited by Irish artists and writers and musicians -- a group including Bono himself, not to mention the writer whose writings haunt Dublin and Ireland and all things written about them for better if not worse: James Joyce. "When I owned one, I went and read all about them, 'cause I wanted to know all about them," says Bono in an excited version of his Dublin brogue. "And I went inside Joyce's tower. And I saw Joyce's guitar!"

Yes, it's true: James Joyce had hoped to be a singer, a tenor, a rock star of sorts, and today, as Bono heads back to the house, as he walks his way back up the green hill to find his wife and set off in the family car and peregrinate the hills of Ireland, Bono is hoping to be in fashion. And his wife wants to be in fashion, too, the implication of their desire being that Ali and Bono are about to take a trip to the country to thank the man whose home inspired the launch of their new fashion line, this home being a manor house on a 5,000-acre estate beautiful enough to inspire a thousand designers, a place called Luggala. "It's the artistic epicenter" is how Bono describes Luggala. Bono and Ali's new line, called Edun, is designed by Rogan Gregory, and on Edun's behalf they are about to transport a very old bottle of very find Armagnac, in thanks for the inspiration to the lord of Luggala, a man named Garech Browne.

Behind every strong, smart, quick-witted mother and wife who has, aside from raising four children, run campaigns against British nuclear-reprocessing plants and driven ambulances to Chernobyl, is a rock star. Or at least alongside her, which is where Bono is today. Bono leaves the Maserati in the suburban Dublin driveway and shrinks into the passenger seat of the toy-infiltrated station wagon. In addition to two teenage daughters, the Hewsons have two even younger sons. Ali is wearing Rogan jeans under a blue slip by Yohji Yamamoto, a simple black Prada sweater, and a black Prada coat. Bono is wearing jeans, an earthy green-and-black sweater by Lainey Keogh, the Irish designer and brothel creepers, the crepe-soled black suede boots. And then, at last, sunglasses.

"Ready, B?" Ali asks Bono. "Yes," Bono says, and the two are off on their accidentally peripatetic journal into the Wicklow Mountains. "Wicklow's the Garden of Eden, isn't it? Sorry, I mean it's the garden of Ireland," says Ali, tongue slipping on account of maybe too much fashion excitement.

But as the motorways of dear old dirty Dublin fade in the rearview mirror, as the lowlands become uplands and the great gray woolly clouds kaleidoscope the sun across the hills, a mention of Eden seems apropos: It rains, it drizzles, and the sun breaks through paradisically gold, all in the space of a few minutes.

"We get four seasons in one day," says Ali.

"It's so inspiring and so beautiful," says Bono, leaning back in his seat, completely relaxed-seeming.

Like the warrior who never gives up, or at least like a bard who won't stop singing, Bono is back. There's the new CD, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, another home run for U2, fueled by the Edge's still-searing guitar and Bono's autobiographical hymns to his late father. There are the U2 iPod commercials, which are to music what the Sarah Jessica Parker Gap ads are to fashion. And this time Bono is working the entirely new (to him) field of fashion to prove a point about the possibilities of leveling the lopsided trading situation of the world. He's been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize (2003) by helping cancel Third World debt, and he's criticized the Bush administration for its lack of alacrity with regard to African aid. He's used his rock 'n' roll pulpit to grab evangelical Americans by the lapels of their Sunday best and force them to see what's going on. Now he's combining his homeworked savvy about the financial situation of the developing world with his supreme rock star-status to sell a clothing line made in factories in Africa and Peru -- a practice of what he's been preaching. Today he's driving into the hills, but in a recent meeting in New York with a fashion executive he was overhead to say, "Politics isn't sexy. Fashion is sexy."

And it's a mom-and-pop fashion label. Ali Hewson is the Penelope to his Ulysses, the less-seen strategist who, as opposed to "International Rock Star," signs "Mother" on her passport on purpose. Ali Hewson may not be a household name in America, and she may, impressively, mostly shy away from the limelight everywhere, but she is known in Ireland, at least, as an activist in her own right, if not the linchpin in the Bono operation. She has worked to shut down an English nuclear-reprocessing center that contaminates the Irish Sea. A film that she narrated, Chernobyl Heart, about Chernobyl's lingering human devastation, won an Oscar last year. ("Bono woke me up and said, 'You've won an Oscar,'" she recalls, "and then later I said, 'Wait a minute, does this mean I won an Oscar before you?'") Once the name Ali Hewson surfaced in the papers as a candidate for the Irish presidency, and the name was taken very seriously. In the case of Edun, she's the one talking to the business people every day, calling Bono in when necessary. "Ali's very good with the dog whistle," says Bono.

Naturally, Edun is no Britney Spears-wear. It's the opposite of the typical celebrity clothing line, in fact -- a celebration of craftsmanship and organic farming and absolute uncelebrity-ness. It is a company that creates clothes based on a simple but globally unpracticed concept: fair trade. An apparel factory in Tunisia, another in Peru, and a plan that uses capitalism but flips capitalism on its head -- a plan that starts with what the factory makes and then takes that to the world, rather than planning to find the cheapest factory in the world and move on when another factory charges less. "People are saying, 'Can you help us get globalized?'" says Ali. "They want to be globalized."

"They are against the abuses of it," says Bono, "and they are suffering the abuses of it. But trade is good."

Meanwhile, Rogan is not the typical designer. Rogan Gregory is a creator of street-smart fashions that are still somehow natural clothes -- high-end and high-concept pieces that thrive in the streets of the Lower East Side but seem rooted in something by a forest-based indie rock band. As it happened, Rogan and his team, before Ali and Bono ever happened into their lives, were already looking for a new way to do business and had just produced a certified organic cotton label called Loomstate. "I look at what people do best," says Rogan, sitting in his Tribeca studio one recent winter morning, "and work from there."

"It's about redesigning the design process," says Scott Hahn, Rogan's business partner.

"The conscious-commerce model, that's the way we do things," Rogan continues. "People can like it or not. That's our mission, to find sustainable models of doing things -- that just goes without saying."

The genius part of the Hewson-Rogan partnership is all about serendipity, because when Ali was out looking for a designer who might be able to help her and her husband design a fashion label, they found a designer who was already thinking along their lines. "There was definitely an alignment," Rogan says.

Cut to the Rogan showroom, two years ago. See Ali enter, on a tip from U2's stylist, Sharon Blankson, who is with her that morning. See Ali's eyes light up in the Tribeca showroom, which is as much a gallery as a showroom, with found-object sculpture by Rogan, things that look like Andy Goldsworthy let loose in an abandoned Home Depot. Imagine the other side of the room, where Rogan and Scott Hahn are a little freaked out, since Ali was her usual unannounced and unrecognizable (in the United States, anyway) self. Rogan is thinking, Who is this person?

The last thing that happens in this silent, Tribeca-situated style-related pantomime is that Ali freaks out -- internally, of course -- when she discovers that they have a line that's all organic cotton. "I thought, Oh, my God!" she remembers. "Alarm bells were ringing, and I though, Maybe we're too late. Maybe the horse has left this stable." She left the shop, troubled.

"So we rang them up the next day," Ali continues, "and Sharon explained to them what it was about. And they were very open."

Ali brought Bono the second time. He loved the operation, loved the clothes, and expresses that love in a way that means the fashion writers and fashion publicists of the world now have to worry about their jobs: "It completely made a lot of sense to me because I love middle America. I love the West. I love the Midwest. I love to travel. I love travel, concrete, the road -- you know, Sam Shepard's Motel Chronicles. So I'm in a designers' showroom where I feel for the first time a new American aesthetic that's a development from casual and workwear. You can see the aesthetic, and it's clear. It's travel. It's the real America. And you can see it's got the aesthetic, but it's looking for a philosophy. And they're starting to wonder. Can they make organic jeans? They want to do that. They're already there. So when we walk in the room, we say that's what we'd like to do -- you know, it was the easiest conversation of our life."

All that was left was for Ali and Bono and Rogan and his team to meet in Ireland a few months later, which they did at the Clarence Hotel, the old Dublin inn that was once a dowdy place for priests and punks, until Bono and the Edge bought it and made it into the coolest place for priests and punks in all Dublin, a lap of luxury on the Liffey. Ali was happy with the chemistry. "There were similar spirits, and our desires -- well, I mean, we're worlds apart in a lot of ways. We're two people coming from Ireland, and two guys, two New York designers -- but there is a lot of common ground."

"Common values," says Bono.

Over the course of a few days, they hammered out a business deal and then were left only with the not-so-small detail: Rogan had to come up with some clothes.

"And I was like, OK, well, which direction are we going with the designs?" Rogan remembers.

So they took him for a drive into the hills, the same drive they are on today in their family car -- the drive out of Dublin and up, up into the Wicklow Mountains, the drive from Dublin gray, from ticky-tacky roadside development, to euphoric green. "Nature is my religion," Rogan says, "and it helps me a lot from a design standpoint to have some landscape to latch onto."

The name Edun, by the way, is nude spelled backward. Nude being the name of the Dublin organic-food chain in which the Hewsons have a share. The name was Ali's idea, and Rogan agreed, which settled it. This is not to imply that Bono is laissez-faire about all this, despite the fact that Ali is so thoroughly involved. On the contrary, says Rogan.

"Bono's inspiring," says Rogan.

"And what he really recognizes is that the biggest scale that you can get requires the simplest idea," Hahn says.

"And he has this ability to connect with people," says Rogan. "It's kind of amazing. You can't even get down the street and he's talking to everyone and asking them questions. I know how this sounds, but that's what he does. He really makes you feel good about yourself."

Team Edun is already receiving good orders and good vibes. "I like the idea that the clothes are being developed for the greater good," says Julie Hilhart, fashion director of Barneys. "And I also like the clothes. They're very stylish. They're things you want to wear." "They're not in-your-face" is how Michael Fink, senior fashion director at Saks Fifth Avenue, describes Edun. "They're instant best friends. They look great, feel great, and the cause is great."

Rogan has never appealed to a very wide audience, and Bono wants to change all that, for his and his wife's sake, for the sake of the factories, for the sake of Rogan.

"We want to give Rogan a hit single," Bono keeps saying. Another thing Bono is saying lately is this -- "Shopping is politics."

So off into the hills, into the Wicklow Mountains, where on this Irish winter afternoon, Mrs. and Mr. Bono have just entered Roundstone, the highest village in Ireland, a geography of rolling green that is as subtly beautiful as it is iconic, a landscape that naturally blew Rogan, who had never been to Ireland, completely away. "I couldn't believe it," he recalled shortly after returning. Ali and Bono sit for lunch in the Roundstone Inn, the bartender waving them in semi-nonchalantly, a patron choking discreetly on his Guinness. Ali takes the soup, Bono the stew. The fan who screws up the courage to approach is greeted cordially by the husband and wife -- they act like the world's most gracious celebrities, if not Ireland's, and they are certainly among Erin's most fashionable.

"Ali's seen probably as one of Ireland's most stylish women," says Ali's friend Mariand Whisker, a former L.A.-based designer who recently returned to Ireland to create phantasmagorical Indian-influenced fashions in the Irish capital city near the Artic, "but in a very unique way, in that she knows what she wants to wear -- it's her own style. It's not a designer kind of style. That's why I love working with her. Nobody says, 'Oh, she's wearing a Mariad Whisker.' I mean, my collections don't bear any resemblance to anything that's going on in fashion."

"They know exactly what they want, and they are quite focused in their desire. They aren't excessive or OTT" -- that's over-the-top, if you don't speak fashion. "They are subtle," says Lainey Keough, whose little shop on Dawson Street in Dublin is one of the epicenters of Irish fashion -- which, like Rogan, is earthy, somehow steeped in nature.
Ali and Bono met in school -- she was twelve, he was thirteen -- but didn't begin dating until three years later. Her mother, she recalled over coffee in the Roundstone Inn, made nearly all her clothes, with the exception of the gabardine. "Gabardine trousers used to be sent to me from my auntie's relatives in America, and any mom thought they were the height of fashion, so I was made to wear them, and even I knew they weren't cool, but I knew there were no alternatives," says Ali.

"When I met her," says Bono, "she was wearing those and a tartan kilt. The tartan thing was what got my---"

"Got your blood pressure---" Ali interjects.

"My sense of mischief aroused. I remember the gabardine pants, and I remember all the clothes that you made and your mother made. And I remember this girl who was so beautiful and so completely unaware of it. I mean, she used to wear Wellington boots and gabardine, and there was just no vanity. And I thought that this was just the most attractive person I'd ever seen, a completely unself-conscious beauty. Pretty sexy making your own clothes, I think."

"My mother made them," says Ali. "She still would. She'd make all our kids' clothes if they let her."

"I mean, I always that that Ali had a very creative sense of style -- she never looked like anyone else. I thought that she leapfrogged fashion. And you know I have a lot of girlfriends."

"That's girl hyphen friends -- did you get that?" Ali says, Penelope-like, like the one who, while beating off the suitors at home, doesn't need an oracle to know what's going on out on the road with wandering rock stars.

"And Ali's the easiest to buy for," Bono continues.

For his part, Bono the Teenager was wearing a black jumper with colored stripes that his mother made and something like the mullet that he was known for in the Eighties, which when Bono and Ali first went to Africa, kids in Africa actually made fun of, as Bono noted in his recent speech to the British Labour Party. It was Ali and Bono's first trip to that continent, which they took just after he recorded "Do They Know It's Christmas�" with Band Aid, the first celebrity African famine-relief effort, in 1984. Bono and Ali worked for two months with an Irish charity in Ethiopia, a place where children were left at the gates of the camps, the parents desperately hoping someone might take the babies in. "I think the legs were just cut from underneath of us by what we saw," says Ali, "and that dragged us out of our teenage years and our early 20s and a lot of innocence and to a shocking reality of what life is like for two-thirds of the world."

When they got back they began to recognize the structural aspect to poverty: that poverty proceeds not merely from natural calamity, but from calamitous political leadership and corrupt trade relationships. "We don't let the poorest of the poor keep their products on our shelves," Bono says, "and with old debts that we're holding over their heads, we're making them slaves. So you start to go, 'Oh, wow, while you're passing the plate at your Sunday service, your government is demanding more money from them than you are giving.' When you hear that, you're absolutely insane."

Nobody preaches against economic inequality like Bono. No one understands the rhetorical winds of the media better, and as he ends the story of his and Ali's economic self-education, Bono points out that the engine of American charity needs to be tweaked, despite the common Cyclopean American perception. "We realized that outside of charity, outside of justice, there's good old American trade, commerce. And this new idea of conscious commerce -- well that finally is the only thing that's going to fix this problem long term. 'Cause you can fix the bad trade agreements -- we're working on that. And you can increase aid. And by the way, the United States is number 20 on the list of richest countries in per capita giving to the poorest of the poor -- i.e., you're at the bottom of the class. And the reason no one knows that is you can always say you're giving more than anyone else, and you are giving more than anyone else, but not per capita. It's just because you're a bigger country. If we use Europe as a comparison to America, then you're in the dust. But the point is, in the end, America does have a clue about how to rid the world of extreme poverty."

"If you have it made in Africa," says Ali, managing to get in a word -- and pointing out to her husband that it is about time to leave the Roundstone Inn, to get back on the road to Luggala -- "you create trade there, you can create jobs there."

Thus Edun. Thus a factory in Peru and Tunisia that is busy filling the initial orders. Thus colors in the fabrics made in Peru that are, like the fabric, organic, using natural dyes -- coffee, blue corn, gardenias. Thus Edun's CEO, Richard Cervera, an entrepreneur brought in by Ali and Bono, has already hired someone to represent the Hewsons in Peru and also to look for new ways to bring economic prosperity to a town and to small organic farmers, for new ways to open other old factories, to create jobs through trade. The Hewsons see the possibilities of social transformations in trade but see also the beauty of compassion as a selling point, as a plug, as a pitch that sails nicely through the marketplace and attracts the customer that Edun hopes to attract.

"It's making people aware of the story of clothes," says Ali. "Do you really want to put on something that's made ---"

"With despair," Bono interjects.

"By somebody who's distressed," says Ali. "It's like that movie Like Water for Chocolate, where they're making the food, and if the cook is unhappy and sad, then everyone is feeling unhappy and sad, and if the cook is feeling sexy then everyone feels sexy. There's an essence along with them, I suppose, and these clothes will have a good story."

Likewise, the aesthetic of the clothes matches the idea of the clothes. "It's back to nature," says Ali exuberantly. "It's about easy, easy sexuality. This is really about quiet, confident but sexy clothes. Sure. Just sure. In fact, my own personal feeling about clothes is -- well, it's been a kind of angst-ridden experience. But as I get older and more sure of myself and more mature, now I know what I'm going to wear -- I don't have to listen to fashion, in a sense. I know who I am, so clothes have started to become who I am."

"Yeah, you're not who you wear. It's more like why you wear," says Bono. "And of course it's very revealing as to why people choose certain things whether it's fit or labels. But I think we have this idea that we're going to make people label aware. Which is aware of what's on the label: Where it was made, who made it, how it's made."

They are getting back in the family car now -- thanks to the bartender, and a big wave to the little pack of nine- and ten-year-old boys who realize it's Bono that they've seen on their way home from school.

"There is a story to every piece of clothing that we wear," says Bono as they start out of town, the last few miles to Luggala. "In the past people haven't wanted to know that story. That's about to change. The same as it changed with the cans of beans in the supermarket. People are not going to buy a tin of beans with a load of preservatives if they can buy another one. And if it's 2 cents or 20 cents more expensive then that's how people will feel more luxurious in the future. And by the way, this is significant in cultural terms, because this is the end of the Sixties idea that revolution is around the corner. People now know it's not. It's in their kitchen. It's in their footsteps, in the choices that they make to buy this and not that."

"But also, the most important thing is that the clothes be desirable in themselves," says Ali as they are driving again deep into the natural vista, into the hedgerow-patterned hills, which nest a white, sugar-coated peak, off toward the ethereal home of Garech Browne.

"Or else, all bets are off," says Bono.

Wandering rock star and wondering rock-star spouse -- a betting fashion reporter would put his money on Ali Hewson to know where she's going, on the road to Luggala or anywhere else. Today, however, there is a slight complication, in that, unbeknownst to them, someone has spun the road sign -- as a prank -- so that they are heading in the wrong direction.

"We're going into the Sally Gap," says Bono, referring to this vast, ancient mountain pass, a huge granitic high-altitude plateau surrounded by the peaks of Kippure, Djounce, Tonduff, and Corrig. Bono says this in a way that, as he quickly notes, is accidentally lyrical. "Ah, I've got to write that song."

Then, trouble. "These trees don't look right," says Ali.

In the next minute the Sally Gap, to their consternation, does not appear. More wandering, a brief stop at Powerscourt, a waterfall that is mystical in the mist-thick air.

"Just to interrupt," says Bono, "I think we're going the wrong way."

"I do too," says Ali.

For the next 20 or so minutes, the Hewsons are officially lost, but impressively for the fashion partnership, not to mention the marital one, no arguments. "We gave up shouting years ago," says Ali.

"I have a habit of getting lost," says Bono.

"This is what we always used to do before the kids, take little trips. I hope we'll be doing this when we're old," says Ali.

Not that they have not had their share of adventures as parents: Ali recalls being in war-torn Sarajevo for a U2 concert during New Year's. "She's been shot at," the husband says of his wife.

"There was shooting in Sarajevo. There were minefields in the Saharan deserts. There was shooting in El Salvador, come to think of it," she says.

Eventually, they call the pub -- "Yeah, this is Bono. Em, we seem to be lost" -- so that in a minute they are at the gate of Luggala, about to descend through the secret-seeming gates, just as they did when they last took Rogan back to Irish nature for inspiration. ("Bono said, 'There's this guy, Garech Browne, and he hangs out here at this inn, and let's see if he's here,' and he was," recalls Rogan, still sounding amazed.)

"Wait till you see this place," Bono says today.

Garech Browne, lord of Luggala, though more accurately the son of Ooonagh Guinness, and hair to the Guinness fortune and, significantly to Bono and all Irish musicians, the founder of Claddagh Records, which, in Browne's Dublin flat, helped invent modern Ireland by recording the traditional music and musicians of the past, not to mention writers the likes of Seamus Heaney, Ted Hughes and Robert Graves. In his apartment in Dublin, Garech Browne hosted the first meetings of the Chieftains.

"We have to tell Garech that this place has become our epicenter," Bono says as they drive down for their thank-you visit to Luggala, bottle of 1947 Armagnac in the backseat.

They descend from the gates at the edge of the valley, down through the hills, down the little back road, into the Valley of Glendalough, the site of the ancient ruins of the monastery of Saint Kevin, who when in the midst of prayer, watched a bird build a nest in his hand and, conscientiously, held still until the egg hatched. (In a poem concerning Saint Kevin, Seamus Heaney, another friend of Bono's, wrote, "Alone and mirrored clear in love's deep river, To labour and not to seek reward, he prays.") At the head of the long blue lake, in the small flatland framed by tall cliffs, Bono and Ali drive slowly up to the 1780s Gothic Revival home. See Garech Browne's 1953 Rolls-Royce. See the specially bred Japanese sika deer. See a mist descending on the lake.

Bono remembers Rogan's first reaction to it all. "He was photographing ---" Bono begins.

"Everything," Ali says.

"I was saying, 'These trees! These trees!'" Rogan confirms. "I wasn't expecting it, but that's exactly where the aesthetic came from."

At the door today now stands Browne himself: gray ponytail, soft and wizard-like silver beard, a blazer that's a green from a Yeats poem. "It's Guatemalan," Browne says of the jacket. They sit before the large fire, facing Browne and the Lucian Freud portrait of Browne, glasses of champagne served off silver trays, mysteriously refilling -- shades of Lotus Eaters. They talk of Garech's wife, Princess Purna Harshad, the daughter of the maharaja of Morvi of India; of Garech's mother, Oonagh Guinness; of the Seychelles; of a poem written at Glendalough: "[M]otionless and gray, the huge cliff hangs upside down in the mirror of the lake; water, mountain and forest held in lasting embrace." They remember the Irish piper Seamus Ennis, whose hands, not coincidentally, are cast in bronze and sitting before Browne, a shining relic of Irish musicianship at which Bono marvels. On an old recording, they listen to a piper play a beautiful air.

Eventually, Ali and Bono present Browne with the Armagnac, and at some point, Bono tells Garech the reason they dropped in. "Look, we just wanted you to know that your place has turned out to be our inspiration," Bono says.

Browne nods, pleased-looking, and points to the bottle of Armagnac, the gift. "You must have some," he says.

"Oh no, we have to get going," says Ali.

More protest until at last, the Armagnac opens. "Oh, we must," says Browne.

The last time they were there with Rogan, Ali and Bono stayed into the evening, but now they have to get home. Back into the car, in the dark, waving goodbye to Browne beneath the cloud-draped stars, on the winding road out, Bono slumps again in the front seat. "Makes you want to grab the kids and stay for the week," he says. They talk a little in the dark night driving, seemingly happy with the day. "See, the thing about us," Bono says, "is that we like each other. It's almost the biggest thing you can say."

Toward the end of the drive, Bono will decide not to stop for another pint, will decide to go home to the kids, and Ali will drop him off at home, driving herself into Dublin, heading to stop in on her friend Mariad Whisker, the designer. The lights of the city will approach, the dark, dirty waters of the Liffey will come into sight, as she stops at the Clarence. For now, though, Ali drives the car around the winding curves, never flinching in the oncoming headlights, and responds quickly. "Yes," she says.

Thanks, Flavia! I'm quite pissed at Dreamweaver at the moment b/c it seems to have a bug in the program that will randomly insert timestamps into my pages without me noticing. I've found a few in some of the articles' text. If you guys ever come across a random day/date/time timestamp on the pages, please let me know b/c often they don't show up in the design-view of the site, but are coded so they show up once the site is uploaded. Grr :mad:

Update: Everything but the photo album should be in working order now. Time for a short break! (what a way to be spending my Friday night...)

'I won't let a Chernobyl happen here'

Posted on Monday, April 22 @ 05:01:53 CEST by Macphisto
-----------------------------------------------

(The Observer) -- Ali Hewson, wife of U2's Bono, on why the band is leading a campaign in Ireland and beyond about the nuclear threat from Sellafield

From her living room in Co Dublin, Ali Hewson, the wife of U2 frontman Bono, looks out across the Irish Sea - which bobs across to the Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant, squatting bleakly on Britain's Cumbrian coast.

She both loves the view and resents it for its daily reminder of the danger that the plant poses. 'This is a nuclear-free land and yet if anything happens to that plant, the east coast of Ireland is straight in the firing line,' she says. 'The Irish nation is not even in the debate; we have no choice and yet we take all the risks.

Hewson's Shut Sellafield campaign - one of the largest environmental protests launched by one nation against another - grew from a late-night chat with Bono in January. If every household in Ireland could somehow be persuaded to register their concerns with the British Prime Minister, they agreed, things might start to change.

'This is an issue of acute, personal concern to every Irish resident,' she said. 'We are sitting ducks just waiting for an accident to devastate our lives and our country.

'The British Government has ignored our concerns about this for long enough. We will make this an election issue and, if we don't make them listen this year, we will come back next year and the year after.'

The suggestion has, thanks to Hewson's endless energy, grown to dominate the Irish community over the past fortnight. Supporters run the gamut of Ireland's pop and sporting successes, including Ronan Keating, Westlife, Samantha Mumba, U2 drummer Larry Mullen and pop siblings The Corrs, alongside the World Cup football squad and the national rugby team.

Ireland's politicians would, Hewson said, have been delighted to leap on board, but: 'I have wanted to keep this on a civil level because I see it as a health and environmental battle, rather than a political issue. I wanted the average man and woman on the street to have a chance to say how they feel; after all, it is they who will live or die.'

The protest, which has seen almost every one of Ireland's 1.3 million households return their prepaid postcard bearing an anti-Sellafield message, will reach its climax on Friday, when the cards are delivered en masse to the breakfast tables of Tony Blair, the Prince of Wales and the chief executive of British Nuclear Fuels, Norman Askew.

Sellafield has long been a source of contention between the British and Irish governments; the Irish government has repeatedly challenged the plant in the European courts, without success, and even took out a series of anti-Sellafield advertisements in the British press last year.

'When we tested out support for our campaign, we were amazed by how personally every Irish person takes this issue,' said Hewson. 'Almost everyone we spoke to had some story about how they, their family or their friends had suffered from an illness they were convinced was linked to Sellafield.'

Their fears were boosted last week when the British Green MEPs launched a highly critical report on Sellafield's discharges, alleging that the two million gallons of mildly radioactive waste water the plant discharges into the Irish Sea each day are equivalent to a large-scale nuclear accident each year.

Such claims, however, are dismissed by the UK Department of Trade and Industry, which disputes the alleged links to cancers and insists that Britain is making good progress towards cutting discharges to close to zero by 2020.

'We already have the most artificially radiated sea in the world washing up on our shores,' said Hewson. 'All we're asking the British government to do is to err on the side of caution. I have seen what happened in Chernobyl and there is no way I am going to let that happen here.

'We know the plant can't be shut down because the waste that is already there needs to be stored and protected for thousands of years, but we want the British Government to stop producing more material.

'If Tony Blair could look me in the eye and tell me my children are definitely safe, I might leave them alone. But in the past five years there have been more than 15 incidents that have left us with serious cause for concern,' she added.

'After 11 September, everyone is questioning their own personal safety and their children's safety, and, when the people of Ireland look at their vulnerability, Sellafield sticks out like a sore thumb.

'The plant has to be on top of any terrorist's list. The result would be catastrophic not only for the people of Ireland, but for everyone in Britain and Europe, too.'

Amelia Hill
The Observer

My scruff diamond

The one certainty about Ali Hewson's new range of ethical clothing is that she has never sought design advice from her famously unkempt husband, Bono. What he does offer is endless inspiration

Louise France
Sunday March 13, 2005
The Observer

Ali Hewson was a 12-year-old tomboy whose parents owned a small electrical business on the north side of Dublin when a cocky teenager called Paul sidled up to her one day at school: 'He had some dodgy pick-up line which I thought was meant for my friend. I just thought he was an idiot.' Little did she know that 10 years later she'd be married to Paul - by now known as Bono, lead singer of U2 - and that she would become half of one of those rare partnerships: a rock music marriage that survives.
Even now, with a guest house in the back garden famously decorated with doodles by Bill Clinton and Michael Stipe and weekend invitations to Chequers, there's a sense that she can't quite believe how life has panned out. Barely made up and quietly spoken, she's the opposite of a starry wife.

'None of this seemed to be on the cards for either of us in the early days. Amazing things have happened and they make me wonder - how did I get here? Why me?' she says.

In the past 23 years, she's retained her privacy by staying behind the scenes to bring up their children - Jordan, 15, Eve, 13, Elijah, five, and John, three - in a three-storey tower in Killiney, on the coast outside Dublin. If she's known at all, it is in Ireland where she's concentrated on charity work without any Princess Diana-style brouhaha. After Live Aid, she and Bono camped in a tent in Ethiopia for six weeks. As president of the Chernobyl Children's Charity, she's driven ambulances to Belarus and stomped through radiation zones. In 2002, she organised a postcard campaign to shut down the Sellafield nuclear reprocessing plant.

Now she's about to launch an ethical clothing company, Edun. Ethical clothing, like rock marriages, tends to have a bad reputation. One imagines one-size-fits-all jumpers crocheted from odd socks, hemp smocks tie-dyed the colour of muddy nettles. However, Edun's American designer, Rogan Gregory, has put together a collection which is more Marni than something your mother would make. There are diaphanous batwing tops, funky denim minis, floaty, low-slung skirts, jeans which are both sexy and right-on.

The timing is fortuitous. Earlier this month, Fairtrade announced a 50 per cent rise in sales. Last week, Panorama exposed the horrendous working conditions which produce 'dollar-a-day dresses'. Ali has spent four years researching and setting up factories in Tunisia and Peru, often in places where a thriving clothing industry was killed by global brands. There's also a project in Lesotho, in an area of southern Africa blighted by 50 per cent unemployment and 30 per cent Aids. As much as possible, the materials are produced organically. Staff are paid the legal minimum wage, working conditions are guaranteed and there's no child labour. Discreet labels on Edun clothes are embroidered with the words: 'We carry the story of the people who made our clothes around with us.'

'The whole idea grew from Bono's trip to Africa and his impression when he came back that what they need more than anything is trade,' she explains. In 2000, Africa had 6 per cent of world trade. That figure has dropped to a pitiful 2 per cent. 'If they could get back just 1 per cent, it would be worth $70 billion a year. The idea is to show that the world can do business with Africa. They don't want charity; they want to prove that they can make a profit.'

Eamon Dunphy, U2's biographer, has said: 'The best thing about Bono is Ali. She is calm, rational and able to see beyond individuals to policies.' So while she is working from home on the project, taking calls from Europe during the day and America once the children have gone to bed, I wonder what Mr Ali Hewson is doing for Edun. This is a man whose fashion sense is best summed up by look-at-me hats and tight black jeans. Is he - God forbid - having a say in the designs? 'No! It's my job to keep him away from the designs,' she wails. 'He can talk about anything else he wants to. He's a great sounding- board. He's really good at inciting people to riot. But no, he's not famous for his fashion sense ...'

Next week, the whole family, plus tutors, will fly to Los Angeles to catch up with Bono on the latest mammoth U2 tour. In the meantime, she is launching the collection in New York. Friends such as Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington and Helena Christensen have already rung up for samples (OK, so maybe she's not so ordinary) and she'll have a chance to ensure her husband is wearing Edun gear. 'He'd better be,' she says.

Research in America into famous sporting marriages puts the survival rate at 30 per cent. Wives complain that they end up being single parents, lumbered with all the decision-making while partners enjoy a life free from domesticity. I imagine rock star wives have the same complaints, with the added threat of even more groupies. 'Absolutely,' Ali agrees. 'It isn't normal and it's been a huge learning curve. Sometimes, there are arguments when I have to shout, "I am not 60,000 people! There's no point in getting on the table and performing right now."' Meanwhile, he complains that 'he feels like a piece of litter when he comes home because I'm constantly trying to tidy him up'.

She makes much of the fact that they've sent the children to state schools and that she and Bono can 'go to the local chipper' if they want. But couple rock superstardom with the fact that Bono has Nelson Mandela on speed-dial, and I wonder how they can really have any semblance of an ordinary life. Don't you ever say: 'Bugger world debt! Put the bins out, Bono'?

'Occasionally,' she says. And does he? 'Well no. But I'm sure he would if I needed him to.

'If I married him for one reason, I married him for this moment: I opened the front door and Mikhail Gorbachev was standing there with this huge teddy bear he had brought for our youngest. I didn't even know he was in the country, but Bono had invited him for lunch.' The rest of us might have panicked but Ali was delighted. 'It's the one image which will stay in my mind for the rest of my life. Everything that Bono had ever done wrong just melted away.'

Perhaps another reason why the marriage has lasted so long is that they've grown up together. Bono's mother died of a brain haemorrhage in 1974. While his life was falling apart, Ali's represented stability and family. 'He disappeared into this blackness for a while, made all the worse by the fact that he had been just at the age when you think, "Oh parents, who needs them?" I think the whole experience made him conscious of things most people are cushioned from.'

Neil McCormick, U2 ghost-writer and the Daily Telegraph music critic who went to the same school as Bono and Ali and whose book, I Was Bono's Dopplegänger, traces their friendship, believes his mother's death has been the driving force behind his career: 'To lose your mother at that age leaves a phenomenal hole to fill.'

Creatively, Bono may have filled the gap with the band that would stage its first gig in the school gym. Emotionally, he found solace with Ali and her family. 'He fell in love with my mum for her cooking. He'd arrive at mealtimes. The only things at his place were Smash, cornflakes and reheated airline food which his brother used to get from work.' His father was struggling to hold the family together. 'He had to be a mother and a father while being out of work, trying to keep an eye on his children. He took a hard-line approach which did not help.'

Nevertheless, when they announced they were getting married aged 22 and 23, Ali's parents 'nearly passed out'. She wore a dress made by her mother, and Adam Clayton, U2's bass player, was best man. 'We had 70 quid when we got married ... my 70 quid!' Initially, Ali worked for an insurance company but when the band started to take off, she gave up the job to join them on tour. Ambitions to be a nurse were shelved ('Maybe my one regret') and she took a political science degree. Two weeks before her final exams and as sales for The Joshua Tree were catapulting the band into supergroup status, their first daughter, Jordan, was born.

Despite the charity work, she maintains that bringing up their four children has been her most important role: 'The job of being mother is the one I don't want to fail at. If I ever felt there was any strain on them, I would stop.'

If Jordan announced, at 22, that she wanted to marry a mouthy wannabe pop star, what would Ali say? 'On reflection, it was a foolish age to get married. We were really too young. Things had already happened before we knew how to make serious decisions. But we were lucky. It worked out. If Jordan wanted to do the same? I guess she could do a lot worse.'

· The spring/summer Edun collection is on sale at Selfridges

Growing up in Ireland, Ali Hewson had much of her wardrobe handmade by her mother. Now, even after 23 years of marriage to Bono, the lead singer of U2, Ms. Hewson says her tastes have remained homespun. "I like to feel comfortable and relaxed," she said. Those two concepts are the linchpins of Edun, a clothing line that Ms. Hewson started this spring with her husband and Rogan Gregory, a denim designer. Edun's jeans, blazers, camisoles and embroidered T-shirts are made mostly from organic hemp, cotton and silk. On a stop in New York City, Ms. Hewson, 44, wore an Edun cotton and chenille jacket from the fall 2005 collection ($375, at Barneys New York next month). Other favorites include Helmut Lang and Prada. As for Bono's participation in Edun's designs? "I told him he couldn't," Ms. Hewson said. "The man who brought the world the mullet is not supposed to be involved in fashion."

05pulse_slide1.jpg

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Growing up in Ireland, Ali Hewson had much of her wardrobe handmade by her mother. Now, even after 23 years of marriage to Bono, the lead singer of U2, Ms. Hewson says her tastes have remained homespun. "I like to feel comfortable and relaxed," she said. Those two concepts are the linchpins of Edun, a clothing line that Ms. Hewson started this spring with her husband and Rogan Gregory, a denim designer. Edun's jeans, blazers, camisoles and embroidered T-shirts are made mostly from organic hemp, cotton and silk. On a stop in New York City, Ms. Hewson, 44, wore an Edun cotton and chenille jacket from the fall 2005 collection ($375, at Barneys New York next month). Other favorites include Helmut Lang and Prada. As for Bono's participation in Edun's designs? "I told him he couldn't," Ms. Hewson said. "The man who brought the world the mullet is not supposed to be involved in fashion."

05pulse_slide1.jpg

New picture :bow: :up:

Lies, the site looks great so far!!!!

If you need help putting together the info on Edun, I'd be happy to help out. The whole idea of "ethical clothing" really will be taking off soon and is such an integral part of what Ali's all about. Maybe an entire section devoted to Children of Chernobyl would be great too :shrug:

PM me if you need some help on Edun (I hope to be testdriving some Edun apparel soon :drool: )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom