I survived my first day of college, but....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macphistosmagic

The Fly
Im not so sure I want to go back tomarrow :silent: I've just been feeling so down lately :( I just can't seem to get excited about anything anymore. My best friend is so excited about school and I'm just so.....not. Well, anyway, is there anyone else who just started school?

I didn't just start school...in fact I graduated over two years ago(and I'm 27)...but you have plenty to be happy about. You have an unlimited supply of something at the start of this,your college career...potential. You don't really need to know exactly what you want to do, but you can use the people you meet and the influences I'm sure you'll encounter to decide that down the road. College life is great...and that's coming from someone who didn't fully appreciate at the time. Go out and meet new people, try new things...you won't regret it. If you have other things that are bringing you down, that's understandable, but just the fact that you are in a new, different place shouldn't bring you down. Life has it's peaks and valleys....hell,I'm unemployed, I have a degree, and I still have yet to decide exactly what I want to do or where I want to end up, but I know that I will find my "purpose". Pop "All That You Can't Leave Behind "in the stereo...it sometimes lightens my mood a bit. Good luck, and....

Walk On!

Last edited:
Hey, it was my first day as well (I mean for this semester, I'm a third year). I'm already feeling sick to my stomach b/c it's only the first day and I'm behind at work (I work 30 hrs a week while being a full time student). I just keep chanting in my head "two more years, two more years..."

Hang in there. I didn't appreciate school fully until I left and now, whenever I walk past my old campus, I get that pang of something. A funny thing sometimes happens when you leave school - you'd give anything to go back. I hope to do so in a couple of years for another degree (yes, I realize I may be an eternal student).

Best of luck to you and remember to have fun too.

Starting school can be really hard and stressful. I have two friends who tried to kill themselves during their first semester of college (separate occasions). I'm sincerely hoping that you aren't feeling THAT awful about school! :hug:

It will get better...just try to hang in there and lean on loved ones when you are feeling down. Also, are there any organizations you could get involved in? That can really make school seem a lot better.

I was so homesick my first semester of college and couldn't seem to make any friends, but eventually I started having a great time. Just hang in there! :hug:

Hey macphistosmagic, what school are you at?

I just started college too in Milwaukee (WLC). I'm not sure quite what to think about it right now, but its all gravy...

Thanks so much for all your comments:hug: I'm doing pretty good, I actually just joined the International Club. I've got this class called Into to Theatre...its pretty awesome. Full On Edge, I'm at UW Marinette. Glad to hear your doing good in Milwaukee.

Bonochick said:

*spits my pop out*

OH MY GOSH!!! My hometown is Menominee!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

Yeah I know! I thought we established this when we had the conversation about Steenburg Homes :laugh: Hey if you ever come back to Menominee to visit I'll say hello :wave: lol

Oh, that's right! Too many members here, I get them mixed up. :lol:

I'm probably not going to be back home until Christmas. :mad:

Hey everyone! This is also my first year of college. Well, I started about a month ago and I too am STILL having trouble making friends. The only people on my floor are assholes, jocks, and foreigners (who are really the only friendly ones). I can't seem to make a connection with the people here similar to everyone I know and am friends with back home. I am at the point where I can't wait to go home for the weekend. Any suggestions?
:drool:

Dr_Macphisto:
I am at the point where I can't wait to go home for the weekend. Any suggestions?

Make friends with friendly people...screw the stuck up ones. Resonate with people on their level. You know the advice - "if you want to be interesting, be interested". Keep searching for folks you find interesting and approach them. Form your own club of friends. The people who look or act cool generally aren't and just use others for some lame end. If you are just yourself you will attract real friends and that is the coolest person to be.

Back
Top Bottom