I got on "Boots" this morning! (Single review)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thisis totally unrelated, but does anyone have that clip of the woman or Axver or whoever going bonkers after hearing Vertigo? You know she was all like "OMG, they went back to their roots!!! I'm speechless!!!"

I've been wanting to hear that for a couple years.

Thisis totally unrelated, but does anyone have that clip of the woman or Axver or whoever going bonkers after hearing Vertigo? You know she was all like "OMG, they went back to their roots!!! I'm speechless!!!"

I've been wanting to hear that for a couple years.

let's not get personal here... :down:

I found myself in a situation very much like Alan Cross this morning, so I composed my thoughts for The Blue Crackheads after hearing the song twice.

God bless 'em, it opens with a drum fill, not unlike "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn & John, and then we're on our way. The signature riff is muscular and catchy in the "Vertigo" vein, with a rapid fire vocal pattern. I read a Alan Cross' blog this morning that compared the verses to "Pump It Up" by Elvis Costello, and I can't say I disagree with that. It's evocative but I wouldn't call it a rip-off. The chorus goes all middle eastern with Bono singing "You don't know how beautiful you are". There's a half-tempo breakdown/bridge with a processed drum loop that I cannot wait to hear in a stadium. It's like John Bonham playing on a Massive Attack song before the song lurches back into the main riff for another verse and chorus. And then before you know it, it's all over. It feels like a dense 7 minute epic crammed into about 3 and a half minutes.

The single most striking thing about this song for me are the drums. Or at least I think they're drums! I've never heard so many layers of rhythm on a U2 song. There are a lot of very processed drums (I thought of Kasabian at one point and N*E*R*D* at another) and loops going on, coming in and out of the mix and then at points it goes back to traditional sounding drums for emphasis. It's extremely tasteful, but complex enough to make my head spin. And I have no idea how I'm gonna manage to pull it off when my band learns it, so stay tuned for some comedy while I work that business out.

Anyway, this is NOT U2 by the numbers. This is not a "return to form" or "back to basics". This is, what the kids like to call, some OTHER shit. The 21st Century version of U2 is finally here. And they aren't looking back to their own catalog for inspiration anymore if this song is any indication.

honestly, tweak a few words and this could've been about elevation, which is a very polarizing song. or maybe an elevation/mofo hybrid, both songs I personally like. However, I really don't expect any casual music or U2 fan to think much of boots, based on this and other sneak peeks I think alot of folks out there will think it is a strange mix of electro/industrial/processed synth with a brief mid-eastern influenced interlude. It may be to the rest of NLOTH what disco, mofo and DYFL were to the balance of Pop.

hey zwervers,

rumours are of the dutch shows being in Rotterdam for the next tour.

be nice to be away from that Amsterdam feedback hell?

You can problably still hear edge his delays from july 16th 2005. That's how bad the sound is. I am a bit sceptic about the Rotterdam rumor because the stadium isn't in a very good shape for rock concerts because of the concrete structure winding down. Would be great to have them back in de Kuip again though. The sound is great there and what a way to die :drool:

:wink:

honestly, tweak a few words and this could've been about elevation, which is a very polarizing song. or maybe an elevation/mofo hybrid, both songs I personally like. However, I really don't expect any casual music or U2 fan to think much of boots, based on this and other sneak peeks I think alot of folks out there will think it is a strange mix of electro/industrial/processed synth with a brief mid-eastern influenced interlude. It may be to the rest of NLOTH what disco, mofo and DYFL were to the balance of Pop.

I disagree.

you'd have to tweak just about the whole thing. Hell, if I tweak some words it could be about the song Numb.

I agree with you that it will be polarizing....and I'm sure the bitching will be profound and unlike anything we've seen due to the long wait and delay.

YouTube - U2 - Get On Your Boots (Sexy Boots) New
Not sure if it'd been posted...but the guy managed to play it based on the beach clips!

i think this was in the background of one or more of the u2.com videos so he probably got a clearer sound from there.
God knows I've tried to listen to the beach clips and never managed to get a thing out of them - i'm in awe of people who can decipher melodies and lyrics cause i just hear noise. gave up trying yonks ago!

dates for single and video released...

Universal Music Finland tells that digital release of GOYB (iTunes) is the same day that it's first heard on the radio (Mon 19th).

Single is in the stores at 16th of Feb and video will be on TV at 29th of Jan.

Universal Music Group :: Etusivu

Don't know if this was any news to anyone...

i think this was in the background of one or more of the u2.com videos so he probably got a clearer sound from there.
God knows I've tried to listen to the beach clips and never managed to get a thing out of them - i'm in awe of people who can decipher melodies and lyrics cause i just hear noise. gave up trying yonks ago!

You know, not sure if it's specifically on GOYB...but this riff is dead HOT! :mac:

am i the only one who still thinks that "get on your boots" is a terrible song title?

Hell no. I bet that in a year or two, when the album/tour hype cools off, there will be a bashing contest for this title.

Let's hope it won't be like that for the new album (as it is for The Bomb).

Universal Music Finland tells that digital release of GOYB (iTunes) is the same day that it's first heard on the radio (Mon 19th).

It's news to me. :up:
Hadn't heard about the video date or the release of the single. :hyper:

"Get On Your Boots" is at least better than "Sexy Boots", imo...I think we won't bother about that when we get to listen to the proper track. I think it'll fit the context, hopefully. Can't wait.

What an awesome weekend this is shaping up to be. On top of everything else, classes were cancelled today due to the extreme cold. :up:

I disagree.

you'd have to tweak just about the whole thing. Hell, if I tweak some words it could be about the song Numb.

I agree with you that it will be polarizing....and I'm sure the bitching will be profound and unlike anything we've seen due to the long wait and delay.

I honestly can't wait to read opinions of "new" fans (that came after ATYCLB)
There's a big chance of some :corn: around here...

edit/ ... I mean if the album really is a departure in sound from the last two albums :)

This is fantastic news if true, but I'm getting weirded out more every passing day by the lack of official news about the release. It's ridiculous. If you were trying to sell a product, wouldn't you start marketing it well in advance? It's already Thursday. We're supposed to hear the song Monday as well as be allowed to buy it on ITunes. The album comes out in just a month and a half, and we don't have an official tracklisting yet. This is NOT how corporate rock functions.

This is fantastic news if true, but I'm getting weirded out more every passing day by the lack of official news about the release. It's ridiculous. If you were trying to sell a product, wouldn't you start marketing it well in advance? It's already Thursday. We're supposed to hear the song Monday as well as be allowed to buy it on ITunes. The album comes out in just a month and a half, and we don't have an official tracklisting yet. This is NOT how corporate rock functions.

But this is what people wanted? they didnt want advertising here there and everywhere, and now people are moaning that they are being abit mysterious?

good on the band i say.

I said EXACTLY the same thing yesterday! :up::up:

I won't be too surprised if the single don't get released Monday.

They probably decided to leave the hype to Interference this time around.

It does seem like things are being marketed differently this time around. Maybe they're hoping to just build hype on the Internet and let word of mouth do the talking.

Excellent, but unsurprising. The same thing happened with Vertigo.

GOYB is going to dominate the interwebz. :drool:

I KNOW one thing for sure now: lots of people on these forums will be excited about the sound if my source is correct(and he normally is) and there will be people who are not such a big fan who will think it is okay or bleh. This is NOT like Vertigo. I still believe it will leak on saturday though

Are u gonna tell me if its gonna be played by 3fm before monday? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom