I get a little annoyed by U2 fans sometimes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Windmilllane said:
Bono embarrasses me sometimes; the way he acts and what he says. I love him as a performer. He is so amazing when he is on stage, even if he can't sing for shit. I think that he is fake when it comes to his humanitarian work. And he thinks he is all cool, but he's a joke.

How can someone be an amazing performer, someone you worship as an artist, but you think they can't sing for shit? :|

I was going to write that it doesn't bother me if fans gush continuously about Bono, but then I remembered that I do get a little bit annoyed with my friend (another huge U2 fan) sometimes. Not really because she's always gushing about Bono, but more because she's always crediting him, and him solely, for -everything- U2 have ever achieved. It's like the other three guys don't even exist. Fair enough, it's pretty common for people to focus on a lead singer, and even more so when the lead singer is someone like Bono, but sometimes I feel frustrated enough to point out to my friend gently that Bono in fact didn't come up with all the bright ideas that made U2 what it is.

Windmilllane said:
I have worshipped U2 for 19 years.

I love Bono as a performer. But as a person, I think he is prick. I think he is arrogant and conceited as hell. And I think all that humanitarian bullshit is fake. Please... give me a break. He is just doing this for his own publicity. His ego is so big that he needs to be on TV, radio and in magazines every single day.

I am well aware that Bono is not a perfect human being and that he does have a considerable ego, but to call his humanitarian work "bullshit" is, well, bullshit. What proof do you have that he's only in it for the publicity? If he wanted publicity, there's a lot more fun ways to go about it than meeting with politicians - many of whom he probably wouldn't want to be in the same room with otherwise - and traveling around the Midwest in a bus during the winter like he did two years ago. Oh, and don't forget spending six weeks volunteering at an orphanage in Ethiopia way back in 1986. Oh, yeah, Bono's been faking it all these years! What a perfectly logical conclusion! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Windmilllane said:
Bono embarrasses me sometimes; the way he acts and what he says. I love him as a performer. He is so amazing when he is on stage, even if he can't sing for shit. I think that he is fake when it comes to his humanitarian work. And he thinks he is all cool, but he's a joke.

Ha, ha!! Oh wait this is a seriously post, isn't it?

Talk about having it both ways...He's a great and amazing singer, who is a $h*t, fake person.

Wow!!

caragriff said:
and no, i do not think bono is God.
but i do not think he is normal either.
he is a special person and i am not ashamed to say i look up to him .

:up:. Agreed.

Originally posted by Lancemc
One thing I've always gotten from Bono is that he kinda knows when he's being an ass, and he tries not to push it too far. And for that I love him.

:yes:. Same here. The ego thing-it's like I've said before, I can totally understand people getting all egotistical when they're on stage performing-you have to have an ego at that time if you want people to notice you and believe that you are the best thing they're seeing right then. Pretty much every musician gets a bit of an ego when they're on stage, and that's totally fine with me, I can deal with that, 'cause I understand the circumstances that warrant that. I can even understand having a bit of an arrogant attitude when you're first starting out in a career-all of a sudden, you have girls (or guys) throwing themselves at you, you have people offering to do/get things for you, you have people wanting to talk to you and take your pictures and ask for your autographs, all this stuff's going on that never really happened to you before...yeah, I can see where that would go to some young people's heads.

It's if you still have that ego 24/7 when you're not on stage, or when you're older and at the point where you should grow up a little bit, that bugs me. And Bono, to me, seems to be able to know when to act all confident and somewhat cocky (in a good way), and when to be humble (and I have seen clips of him on TV when he's looked to be very humble about something). He seems to have a good balance of the two (besides, he's talked before about how Dublin reacts to people getting too big for their britches-the people of Dublin (and his dad, when he was alive) would definitely let him have it if he ever got too big a head, he knows that, that's why he does what he can to avoid getting to that point, and if he's ever felt he has gotten a little too cocky about something, he's admitted it and sounded pretty apologetic).

Also, as for the singing bit...I dunno, personally, I've thought Bono's voice has been sounding awesome in everything I've watched and listened to as of late. He sounded fantastic at the Brooklyn concert. The whole band did.

A major :up:, :applaud:, and :bow: to doctorwho's post. VERY well said, my friend, very, very well said.

Originally posted by Bono's shades
Oh, and don't forget spending six weeks volunteering at an orphanage in Ethiopia way back in 1986.

:yes: And keep in mind, too, that at the time he did that, there was no press mention of it, he didn't make a big deal out of it, practically nobody knew he was doing it until later, when someone found out somehow. Now that doesn't sound like the actions of someone who's doing this work just for attention to me.

From the speeches I've read and heard on TV and in sound bits and everything that he's made, I hear the passion in his voice, I hear his strong emotion when he talks about some of the people he's met...to me, that proves that he's very sincere about the work he does for others, and has been for the last 20 years. If someone else wishes to read into it differently, that's their deal, but I won't ever agree.

Angela

Anybody that is doing humanitarian work for whatever reason they are doing it is doing much more then most of us who are sitting on our ass in this forum arguing over a real meaningless topic.

I am glad for anybody that does something for the human race whatever reason they have for doing it because there simply isnt enough people doing enough to help the cause that we call civilization.

Aardvark747 said:
I dont worship anyone...but if I was ever lucky enough to meet Bono, or indeed Edge, Larry or Adam, I would be taken aback, and maybe unable to say the right things or stumble over my words. It's called being star-struck.

I have to agree with you there.

I don't worship Bono, he's just a man after all, but if I met him (and I really don't want to) I think I would come across as some sort of gibbering moron as I would be struck dumb in his or any mega-stars presence. I am shy at the best of times.

Bono lives a life I can only imagine. He's done and seen things I can't imagine. So yes, he's a God, he's not like me in the slightest.

Doesn't mean I have to worship him though. I regularly skip Sunday mass, and I'm sure I'll be going to U2-hell when I die ...

Last edited:
ZeroDude said:
Anyone else like Bono because he can be an arse?

LOL.

for all the awesome things he does, i actually do love his cocky side.
and the part of his personality that says and does things that make you cringe, it's all just part of who he is. so much of his persona is a front and i think some people just don't get that. he has had to create an ego outside of himself just to exist in the bubble of superstardom.

he is a performer after all, and not everything he says and does has to be taken so seriously. of course he can be an arse, as you say, but he is serious about serious issues and he knows how to have fun, too. he knows which buttons to push, and that's why people are drawn to him.

You better pray to Bono® that he forgives you for such heresy!
Bono®dammit, I hate when people slam our savior.. :wink:

ZeroDude said:
Anyone else like Bono because he can be an arse?
:laugh:

He can be an arse... and we have to love him for that!

It also beggars belief that Bono can pour his heart, soul and precious time into work that he has said he wants to spend his life doing and be called a fake! Well I hope he keeps faking it for many years to come. That kind of insincerity is actually saving lives!:coocoo:

I have actually hung out with the guy for a good amount of time and the thing is he is very respectful of his fans, humble and sincere. He can be an ass because he wears his heart on his sleeve and says things off the top of his head. Which is why it's a good thing that he has great sense of humour about himself. He will be the first to tell you that he can be a complete ass. Which doesn't mean he isn't temperamental or doesn't want to look good (see he is like us!). He is a very talented and driven man.
I've always loved his self-deprecation. He's also funny when a sycophant approaches him. He'll usually make a joke that will go right over their head. But if you are a regular person that's freaked out when you meet him, he tries to calm that person down and just acknowledge them. He is extremely compassionate, as evidenced by his charity work. Luckily, he doesn't care if you think it's fake, he'll just keep doing it.

I have met the B-man on several occasions, too, and what she says about Bono IS the truth.:yes:

One on one, Bono is the sweetest, most unassuming, most friendly, kindest and funniest person you could ever meet!

He is a Joy to be around and that is why so many people want to know him.

BONO IS SIMPLY A BLESSING TO THE WORLD. :angel:

BONO - I WILL FOLLOW....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I find it difficult to see the problem people have with these fanatics. as long as there's no stalking, or other REALLY dangerous things going on, I dont see why not.
I mean, there are Tolkienites, Jedi's and for every other celebrity/huge fan base there are people who will be more than just fans. It comes with the territory.
Bono is a wonderful muscisian and lyricist, he has influenced people from their CD players and radios. He inspires! that is what he does,
He inspires; like every performer, writer, and artist that came before and will come after him. And if there's someone out there to help someone not to commit suicide or hurt themselves or others, well it can only be a good thing!

Bono deserves praise, but he is still only human, and in some ways him being human and accepting his humanity is the most praise-worthy thing about him.

I don't worship the guy but I am definitely thankful for him. And the only quotes I seek out are ones that give more insight into the meaning of a U2 song, or when he drops news like how concerts are going to be on iTunes. I'm sure he can be pompous too but he also seems like a decent guy. I know I'd love the chance to meet him even for just a moment.

Wow. I just read each and every post here. I do have "Him" on sort of a pedestal but for a reason not mentioned thus far.

I have loved U2 (esp. Bono) since I was 17. My bedroom and later my dorm room was floor to ceiling U2/Bono posters! My roommate would drool over her Jim Morrisson posters, and I my Bono. I had an "open top beetle" and cruised around with the top down blaring my old U2 songs. Now, I cruise to u2 as well, but this time in a minivan with two kids in tow. My 9 yr. old even knows 1/2 of the words on the new album. Don't get me wrong, she also knows a lot off of Boy & War.

My reason for Bono worship is simply ESCAPISM. When I listen and sing, I feel like a carefree teenager not trapped in surburbia, mortgages, chicken pox, daily routines. I can be that free spirit. I have written at length on zoo confessionals: My most personal, deepest U2 thoughts. The difference between my initial post and my new found freedoms now is a spontaneous trip to Brooklyn 4 weeks ago last night---ending up on front row center. I am drawn back in full force and I love every minute of my little fantasy world of a teenage version of me that was a half of a lifetime ago for me!

You know, I watched that Brooklyn thing on MTV, and found myself almost sickened by the way some of the fans were carrying on while the truck was driving down the street. As much as I love U2's music, I've never found myself crying and freaking out over them, and seeing people that out of control makes me uneasy.

Back in 1987, at the height of the Joshua Tree craze (and right when I became a big U2 fan) I saw Bono walking by himself through Union Station in DC, looking for his train platform, or something. I was there with my family, picking up a cousin from Tennessee. I didn't bother him. Some of it was general shyness on my part. I was a shy kid. But I also didn't want to go pester the guy when he clearly had other shit to do.

Strangely, a friend of mine ran into Bono in a bar in DC during the POPmart Tour, right across the street from where I'd seen him ten years earlier, and shared a friendly greeting as they both ordered drinks. They both knew that my friend knew who he was (Bono was wearing the black hoodie and sunglasses and stuck out like a sore thumb) but my friend didn't make a big deal out of it and left him alone. Bono probably found that refreshing.

For those of you who have met Bono and think that he is such a wonderful and respectful person:

WHO CARES??? So what if he is nice? Where do you live, prison? There are many nice people in your life. Haven't you ever met a nice person before?

My point is that I believe you that Bono is a very nice person to meet. But you don't know him at all.

Why does anyone have to judge how people like U2? I just think as long as it's not crossing a line of stalking or being overly obessed enough to stalk then why does it matter? To each their own. Live and let live. How in the heck is it hurting anyone?

ree5669, I liked your post and I think there a few older fans that probably feel the way you do.

Windmilllane said:
I have worshipped U2 for 19 years.

I love Bono as a performer. But as a person, I think he is prick. I think he is arrogant and conceited as hell. And I think all that humanitarian bullshit is fake. Please... give me a break. He is just doing this for his own publicity. His ego is so big that he needs to be on TV, radio and in magazines every single day.

But as a performer, he is awesome. I love when he is on stage and performs. He blows my mind, the way he shows his emotions when he performs. Under a Blood Red Sky is the quintessential Bono. Rattle and Hum, too.

Basically, my relationship with Bono is weird. I totally love him as a performer, but I could give a shit about him as a person.

Bono is a rock star. That's all he is. And he is playing the part of a rock star. That's it.

Wow...how conflicted!

I agree Bono is an extraordinary human being. I'd love to meet him and I love to visit PLEBA..I totally relate to the girls and their love for him. As for the guy who doesn't believe in Christ? Is he still here? Or has he been struck by lightening? Just kidding...

I don't think we should put Bono above Christ, either...although, sometimes I think I do...

Enough rambling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom