I don't know how to go through with this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiki

New Yorker
mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it
alright....here's my confession. My heart is breaking in to a million pieces and I don't know how to fix it this time.

........reality check. Of course I know I that people with addictions and depression and bi-polar and all that stuff, will tend to lose control when they are off meds or what not.

At first I felt like it wasn't my fault at all he came off his meds. Yes I know, we don't have insurance, we couldnt afford it, and stupidly I really was thinking it had only been a month or so.....

yeah...turns out it's been more like 4 months he's been without his meds. You'd think I'd learned my lesson the last time, when he was suicidal and all that, and I had to get the police involved.
So of course I have to talk to his dad to ask for help, who had said all along he'd pay for the meds. I had to admit it was a pride issue on both our parts, we were paying off all our bills ahead of time and what not, but we just couldn't afford the $230 a month extra for the meds.

Yeah.....how stupid are we?

So now on top of the depression and the bi-polar crap showing through....his addictions back in swing, full force and worse than it was a year and a half ago.

So off to the counselor we go.

I fully expected to hear the worst come out, the abolute worse things ever. Instead we're each talked to alone.

When I'm talked to, I'm told that he was given three choices.

1. to come clean with me on absolutely everything, the entire who, what, where, when, etc.
2. if he's not ready and willing to honestly give this up once and for all, he needs to let me go, file for a divorce.
3. come clean with me on everything and work on taking control of his life again and putting the addiction away for good.

He was told not to decide for a few weeks. Then I was talked to and warned on if he does come clean, what my feelings would be and what emotions I'd go through.

Apparently he couldn't refrain from answering the counselor, even though the counselor really just wanted him to think about everything. The counselor told me he basically came out and said he'd walk on hot coals for me before he gave our marriage up.

I was told that if he becomes manipulative with the counseling then that will be the end of the counseling for him and at that point I'll be encouraged to leave him.

I went through so many emotions on Saturday. Being exhausted from fighting this for nearly 4 years. Being absolutely angry and wanting to walk away right then and there.

Then I started writing everything down in a journal. I wanted to hate him. I wanted to absolutely hurt him the way he's hurt me.

One problem.........I'm madly in love with him.

That's a pretty big problem if you ask me, if you're to give an ultimatum and stick to it, or if eventually this doesnt stop and you have to get out......how do you walk away from a marriage with someone you're so desperatly in love with?

It all starts with a beautiful ceremony, a glowing couple who is just swimming in their love for one another.
And it would end with a cold walk in to a court house....to sign a piece of paper declarring you un-wed? And a false sense of hate for one another?

I don't think I can do that, if things work out that way.....I really don't.

But I know deep down that I can't live my life with this dark shadow, knowing I could potentially really be harmed and my health put in danger.

I just pray to God that this time he really works at giving this up.......as the saying goes......All I want is you...Brian. All I want is you.

Sounds like you've got some hard work ahead of both of you. Best of luck, I hope you can work it out but remember to take care of yourself first and foremost. :hug:

Im so sorry it's really rough to go through something like that :hug: You need to think of yourself in the long run with all of this :hug: Know you love Brian but don't let it keep you from making the best decision that you could for yourself :hug:

I hope things work out. I myself Have mental health issues. I KNOW it can be equally hard for those around the sufferer. My thoughts and hopes are with you both. Fair play to you for lasting this long.

You can love someone to pieces and realize it wasn't meant to last forever.. Unforunately you can't love him into being better either. I hope that whatever happens, it's the best for both of you :hug:

thank you, all of you.

I wish that it was just the mental problems. Believe it or not, he knows he has to be on meds, he accepted that a long time ago and he's acknowledged that again. The problem I'm having is with the addiction.

Our society has become such a mess. I guess the only slightly positive thing is that seeing as how messed up society is in making alcohol addiction and possibly drug addiction a somewhat "socially acceptable" addictions......this at least has not become that yet. Therefore he is embarrassed and ashamed.

I know I have to do what's best for me, but.....like I said, the mental problems....if that's all our marriage had been up against for the past 4 years, I feel like it would be a piece of cake.

I know alot of people have it much worse when it comes to mental illness' and I know it's a lot harder to deal with. It's just that his have pretty much been the least of our problems.

Divorce does not have to mean 'hate.' Addiction is a terrifying thing. But you have a choice too. It doesn't have to ruin your life as well as the life of the one you love. Much strength to you.

Kiki, this sounds very severe. Being madly in love with someone is very hard, but sometimes sticking by them is even harder, when it destroys you in the end. Think about what you want to do with your life right now. How are the chances of him getting better, really better? The fact that he is doing way worse than he did before, is a sign that things are NOT going well. Being afraid of being actually put in danger is something you have to think about as well. Is he strong enough to fight for the both of you? Will things get better? Think about these questions, and even though it's going to be damn hard, you have to make a choice, for the sake of yourself. Good luck :hug:

Back
Top Bottom