Hidden Track on ZOOROPA vs. "A Man and a Woman"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:
The siren rises sharply and suddenly, then hits full volume. It then only registers three beeps at full volume, then stops. This is clearly representative of the band. It's symbolic of artistic creation within the band, then registering votes on said creation. Bono checks in. Edge checks in. Adam checks in. Larry doesn't, no fourth strong beep. The song is done there and then and we will never know what was to come next. It serves as a message to the fans. The band would never break ranks on such a thing openly or publicly, all we have is this encoded reminder at the end of the album that what Larry giveth, he taketh away. The artistic inspiration is sparked from the darkness and sharply comes together to a startling and stunning new sound. Larry then pulls the plug. It is a timely reminder as you get to the end of Zooropa, that such a truly creative and original explosion of talent should be taken as a true gift, for Larry will generally pull the plug on such madness. He started the band on his terms, and he will end on his terms too. This should always be programmed directly BEFORE Man & A Woman on any compilation CD so that you remember what Larry pulling the plug does to U2.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

It saddens me that I'm late to this thread. I love the Zooropa beeping.

without the Siren there would have been no Kid A

A Man And A Woman has, hopefully, never influenced anyone to do anything

On that note, I'm afraid AMAAW wins despite its musical inferiority

on a slightly off topic note, didn't The Siren [remix] sugue into HMTMKMKM on most PopMart shows?

Honestly I truly do feel the siren holds more significance than a man and a woman. The whole of zooropa seems to me like a bizzare dream (about lemons, crashed cars and what not) often not really making sense. The siren is kind of an alarm clock at the end of this dream where the cds finished and we now have to go back to reality.

jonnytakeawalk said:
The siren is kind of an alarm clock at the end of this dream where the cds finished and we now have to go back to reality.

Wow!!! :eek: That's a great way to look at it! :up:

Got Philk? said:
Chalk me up for the siren. I fell asleep to Zooropa once and there is no experience like waking up to the siren. What a rush!

Ha ha ha! That's happened to me before, as well.

In all fairness, though, we should point out that there's really very little else like waking up to "A Man and a Woman," either. As far as I can tell from what information I have, it's something not at all unlike morning sickness. On crack.

And meth.

Meth is bad news. So is crack. So is morning sickness. So is "A Man and a Woman." Case clizosed.

My vote goes to the siren every time.

My take on it is that Zooropa is all about a new world & hope for the future, but then you've got a warning at the end.

ie, The choice is yours, but if you make the wrong choice you could go seriously wrong.

My take on the siren is that it is a siren. Revelatory, oh yes. :yes:

Achtung_Bebe said:
I heard something somewhere about the siren having a dead air significance in regards to radio, or maybe it was t.v. broadcasting. has anyone else heard something like this? Or am I :coocoo:.

The claim is that DJ's have a warning alarm that goes off after a certain amount of time when a record fails and dead air is going out.

I have never heard of any examples of this whatsoever though.

Oh man, why did I come late to this party of sheer awesomeness?

Count me in for the hidden track o' goodness.

I also wanted to quote half the thread, but I'll refrain and just give everyone here a big :up:

kafrun said:
I must be the only person who LIKES AMAAW :grumpy:

That's 2 votes for A Man & a Woman.

btw, be curious to see a poll, who likes A Man & a Woman, and, are you...a man or a woman?

I suspect Steve Lillywhite and Adam are for the most part correct about it being a hit with the womenfolk, the menfolk, eh, not so much.

And for the last time, it is not adult contemporary pop.

The song is too 'real' to be. Like "Sweetest Thing" too real to be in that category.

"I could never take a chance on losing love to find romance."

You won't find that sort of thing in your average love song.

Kafrun, you're not the only one who likes it. Adam and Edge said it was one of their faves off the latest album, and Adam seems to like quite a few "out of left field" kind of bands. Well bands I've never heard get airplay on radio.

The song is unusual for U2, them being "quirky." I can't think of any songs that really sound like it, but I'm guessing they won't be going in that direction any time soon.

The Siren gets old pretty quick though, no staying power, but it has it's merits.

I like AMAAW. I'm a girl, and as much as I've been anti-love lately, I can't resist a line like "How can I hurt when I'm holding you?"

I like the Zooropa siren as well, but if it lasted four and a half minutes, I'd probably get tired of it.

thrillme said:

btw, be curious to see a poll, who likes A Man & a Woman, and, are you...a man or a woman?

I suspect Steve Lillywhite and Adam are for the most part correct about it being a hit with the womenfolk, the menfolk, eh, not so much.

I'm part of the womenfolk, and I think the song blows.

GibsonGirl said:

I'm part of the womenfolk, and I think the song blows.

Yeah, the third category has been forgotton.

1) Women
2) Men
3) Fucking Idiots

You, by the way, are luckily in none of the above. The third option is of course the prevalent one with a song such as "A Man and a Woman." It's by default.

Regarding AMAAW, Do you feel loved had a similar theme but in my view was a better song.

i vote for the siren

in another scientific poll, i actually voted for the sound of breaking glass and the sound of a thousand farts over Man and a Woman.

U2SavesTheWorld said:
i vote for the siren

in another scientific poll, i actually voted for the sound of breaking glass and the sound of a thousand farts over Man and a Woman.

Kudos! A million times over!

:applaud:

This has made my day, straight up.

thrillme said:

That's 2 votes for A Man & a Woman.

And for the last time, it is not adult contemporary pop.

The song is too 'real' to be. Like "Sweetest Thing" too real to be in that category.

"I could never take a chance on losing love to find romance."

You won't find that sort of thing in your average love song.

Kafrun, you're not the only one who likes it. Adam and Edge said it was one of their faves off the latest album, and Adam seems to like quite a few "out of left field" kind of bands. Well bands I've never heard get airplay on radio.

The song is unusual for U2, them being "quirky." I can't think of any songs that really sound like it, but I'm guessing they won't be going in that direction any time soon.

The Siren gets old pretty quick though, no staying power, but it has it's merits.
yes, I'm a woman, but that doesn't mean I like sappy love songs :madwife:

As for it being 'adult contemporary crap', I used to work retail. I had to listen to actual adult contemporary crap alllllll day long :crack: AMAAW doesn't fit that description IMHO. But to each their own :yes:

I have finally found a movment I belive in.

Lets change the name of the wander to seirn song...

But I feel for all of you. Many a nap inturupted by it.

jonnytakeawalk said:
Honestly I truly do feel the siren holds more significance than a man and a woman. The whole of zooropa seems to me like a bizzare dream (about lemons, crashed cars and what not) often not really making sense. The siren is kind of an alarm clock at the end of this dream where the cds finished and we now have to go back to reality.

HAH! So I'm not the only person that came to that conclusion. :D

Oh, and truth be told, I actually kind of like A Man and a Woman. It's got a cool vibe to it.

But nothing beats THE SIREN. :drool:

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Numb1075 said:
Chuck Norris should give a nice round kick to the head of the Siren:evil:

if the Siren was named A Man and a Woman then yes, yes he should

I cannot believe what my madness hath wraught. Check on the "Music on the Internet" forum and just browse the threads.

I love this.

I am a God of sorts. And, clearly, The Siren is Jesus.

"A Man and a Woman" can't really be Satan, as that would make it a once-holy entity. I guess it's more like horseshit. Regular horseshit. Though maybe a tad more pungent than usual...

A Man and a Woman is decent, I enjoy parts of it purely because of the bass and the "Brown eyed girl across the street" verse

but other than that, come on...no contest

Back
Top Bottom