Great uses of music in movies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thesuburbskill said:

-when "just like honey" from the jamc starts playing when charlotte and bob harris part ways at the end of lit

one of my favorites sequences in movies ever

-- "Bang Bang" cover in Kill Bill

-- "All Along The Watchtower" in American Beauty, it's the perfect song for that moment

I can't believe I forgot about A Clockwork Orange. "Singing in the Rain" during the rape for one thing, but especially the William Tell Overture during the threesome in fast motion.

OOO RUN LOLA RUN IS A GOOOOOD ONE!! ^_________^

plus
Shaolin Soccer (hahaha, yes)
Amadeus
KILL BILL (for sure)
simon and garfunkel in the Graduate
and GARDEN STATE

Seu Jorge's Bowie covers in "the life aquatic"

the nico cover of "these days" "ruby tuesday" "needle in the hay" in the royal tenebaums

"the only living boy in new york" in garden state

cameron crowe makes great use of music in almost famous and jerry maguire

"the promise" in napoleon dynamite

"all i want is you" in reality bytes

The truman show has great music...

DeadMansParty said:
Edward Scissorhands the ice dance scene
:love:
UnforgettableLemon said:
Just about anything in Tarantino's movies, really.
absolutely.

one of my favourites is in 'kill bill' when the crazy 88 are entering the house of blue leaves restaurant and 'battle without honour or humanity' starts playing. :up:

Zootlesque said:
Tears For Fears' Mad World (slow ver) in Donnie Darko. I haven't really seen that movie though... just that scene and I love that version of the song.

Fun Fact: The director originally wanted to use U2's MLK for the scene, but had trouble getting the rights to it.

Exit Music (For A Film) at the end of Romeo and Juliet... :drool:

Taxi Driver - Bernard Herrman
American Beauty - Thomas Newman (the bag blowing scene)
The Mayor Of Sunset Strip - Coldplay (when Rodney Bingenheimer is throwing his mother's ashes into the ocean - heartbreaking!!!)
Coney Island - Ric Burns (Artist unknown but the film's music is PERFECT!!!)
Cinema Paridiso - Ennio Morricone

Cameron Crowe movies have great soundtracks :up:

Almost Famous is my favorite...great use of music throughout and great original music by Nancy Wilson. The part that gets me is when they are on the bus singing "Tiny Dancer" :heart:

Love "In Your Eyes" from Say Anything

and "Secret Garden" in Jerry Maguire

These have already been mentioned, but...
Almost Famous
Kill Bill
Rushmore
Donnie Darko

and the music in American Psycho is freakin hilarious. It's all about having threesomes to the sounds of Sussudio and killing your co-worker with Hip To Be Square playing in the background.

how come the guys haven't mentioned The Cars song that plays while Phoebe Cates is in her red bikini in 'Fastimes At Ridgemont High'? :wink:

in addition to the other vanilla sky mentions, I Might Be Wrong playing while cruise stands in the bar and realizes his world isn't as it seems is great.

learn2kneel said:

The truman show has great music...

Chopin, I beleive. And I totally agree.

Also as someone else mentioned, the Spaghetti Westerns all had grea tunes. The cemetary scene in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, now that is some cool music.

I really like the song Metallica uses to start their concerts from the The Good, Bad and the Ugly. "Ecstasy for Gold"

also, I like the dream sequence music in Flash Gordon as they are in the rocket ship. That may have been composed by Queen, I don't know for sure.

I just saw Wicker Park last night for the first time and that has a really good soundtrack.

Its use of The Scientist at the end is perfect. I have never really liked that song, but after seeing that movie I have a much greater appreciation for it.

Dalton said:
I just saw Wicker Park last night for the first time and that has a really good soundtrack.

Its use of The Scientist at the end is perfect. I have never really liked that song, but after seeing that movie I have a much greater appreciation for it.

Good man, Dalton. Good man. Good movie making good use of a great song.

:( :sad: :ohmy:

Those are my feelings after reading this thread and realizing that no one (NO ONE!!! FFS) has said anything about the greatest sound track and the greatest movie [epic voice] OF ALL TIME!!!! [/epic voice] - Pump up the Volume

Shame on you ALL.:|

"the first time" during the flyby of LA, and while tomtom is running across the roof in the opeing sequence of the million dollar hoterl.

Great thread.
Excellent choices all around.
Michael Mann is by far my favorite "music director". The Last of the Mohicans is beyond amazing and the use of Moby's song at the ending of Heat is also fantastic.
Another favorite is The Stone Roses' Fools Gold at the end of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Great scene.

Just heard "Tommy Gun" in a Nick Cage film trailer. This one was actually relevant but it really gets on my nerves when a totally irrelevant song is played in a film. For god's sake not every trip to London in any movie deserves "London Calling". :mad: It'd be nice if for once someone listened to lyrics of a song before a nutjob decides to use it in the soundtrack.

Back
Top Bottom