Got a reply from Dave Fanning today / Chris Moyles on BBC Radio 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ Yes, I like that version a lot. It's beautiful, but not a typical "U2 hymn".

I like soaring vocals from Bono and epic guitar playing from Edge, that makes a "U2 hymn" for me. Not necessarly a lot of noise, sound effects or weird melodies. But I'd be more than happy if they manage to pull off both. I'm just saying I don't want an album where the band is trying too hard to be experimental, I want to feel the soul of the songs, not be struck down by a number of strange sounds.

The Wanderer is not a U2 hymn, it isn't even sung by Bono.

Stay is one of my favourite songs, but not experimental. :wink:
Screw 'hymns'. The Wanderer is a U2 song. Lemon is both experimental and one of the most moving tracks the band have recorded to date. In fact there's more soul in those 7 minutes than on the entire last two albums.

^ Yes, I like that version a lot. It's beautiful, but not a typical "U2 hymn".

I like soaring vocals from Bono and epic guitar playing from Edge, that makes a "U2 hymn" for me. Not necessarly a lot of noise, sound effects or weird melodies. But I'd be more than happy if they manage to pull off both. I'm just saying I don't want an album where the band is trying too hard to be experimental, I want to feel the soul of the songs, not be struck down by a number of strange sounds.

From what we've heard so far from descriptions I think we will get both.

Screw 'hymns'. The Wanderer is a U2 song. Lemon is both experimental and one of the most moving tracks the band have recorded to date. In fact there's more soul in those 7 minutes than on the entire last two albums.

Errr no, I disagree. But that's my subjective feeling. I almost never listen to Zooropa, and there's a reason for it.

Well, it certainly depends on how you define a 'U2 hymn'. To me a U2 hymn isn't not defined by a particular sound but by the idea, the musical landscapes, the images, the resonance, the direction, the balance between describing darkness and light, curiosity, the ability to reach out to the edges, the challenge - and most of all expressions that aren't forced, thought to much of, already interpreted when written. Take a song like Lemon, objectively one of the 'weirder' songs on Zooropa. What kind of song is that? Really? It still puzzles me. I still don't quite get it. I'm not finished with it even though I've listened to it a zillion times. 16 years on - and it still sounds 'new'. It intervenes with my own story and ideas.

Well to me all of those mentioned things is what makes a great 'U2 hymn'. If that makes any sense at all .... :hmm:

I appreciate the experimenting nature of Zooropa, but there are a lot of songs on it I just don't listen to.

Stay, Lemon and Zooropa are excellent songs.
Dirty Day, The Wanderer and The First Time are good but aren't favorites of mine.
Numb, DGPFYCC, SDABTO and Babyface are just meh

The Wanderer is such a great song. The lyrics are fantastic, the Bass line is one of Adam's best ever. I like Cash's version, which seems like an appropriate song for him to have sung given the nature of the lyrics....but I really wish U2 had recorded a studio version of the song with Bono on vocals.

:hyper:

Finally. Still haven't listened to a single clip/leak. I cannot make it much longer! :crazy:

I HAD to listen to a snippet of GOYB today because, totally unexpected and to my surprise, our biggest radio station was playing some seconds of the song after announcing (again) the premiere on monday. I was working on my computer and was all :ohmy: and then :hyper:. So I couldn't escape. :wink:

I HAD to listen to a snippet of GOYB today because, totally unexpected and to my surprise, our biggest radio station was playing some seconds of the song after announcing (again) the premiere on monday. I was working on my computer and was all :ohmy: and then :hyper:. So I couldn't escape. :wink:

so the stations have it! :hyper:if they are doing this, its only amatter f time, we may see a leak yet. Or at least, someone will record the prmo and distribute it.

if nt, 34 hours and 5 minutes left!

I'm struggling to wait till Monday....

...its a tough struggle, but then again I've come this far I can't quit now. I don't know what I would do if I heard a snippet on my radio...I might just drive off the road.

so the stations have it! :hyper:if they are doing this, its only amatter f time, we may see a leak yet. Or at least, someone will record the prmo and distribute it.

if nt, 34 hours and 5 minutes left!

I still doubt any station is going to risk this, I mean people these days are worried enough about losing their jobs, few people would risk it just to get a song out a few hours early

When I wake up it'll be less than 24 hours to go! Going to have to wait for it on radio one cos the online thing for 2fm (or radio 1 for that matter) doesn't work for me - probably cos I have a mac. So old fashioned radio it is!

When I wake up it'll be less than 24 hours to go! Going to have to wait for it on radio one cos the online thing for 2fm (or radio 1 for that matter) doesn't work for me - probably cos I have a mac. So old fashioned radio it is!

5 mins after Fanning, Triple M in aus is streaming it and i can listen on mac

juts need to install Windows media

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom