RTÉ 2XM played the NLOTH B-Side Today (Discussion Only)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its great. I would be happy with if it was the album version. As you can see, I just started posting, but I have been a member for quite a while. I just come on here and laugh at how much everybody analyzes everything to death. You could pick apart probably every song that has ever been recorded. If anything, that is the one semi-complaint I have had with U2 as of late - I think they have tried to make perfect songs and have tried to make everybody happy. I am just happy to have some new U2 music.:D

Ah, but who is sillier--the ones analyzing or the ones just reading the analysis? :wink:

Welcome to the next step in Blue Crackdom.

If anything, that is the one semi-complaint I have had with U2 as of late - I think they have tried to make perfect songs and have tried to make everybody happy. I am just happy to have some new U2 music.:D

And the problem with that is that there are a lot of people we could all point out on this site who will never be happy with anything Post-2000 U2 puts out. Sadly.

No. I won't convince you. Sorry that U2 failed and didn't make you a great album.

Sometimes I can't believe in the whole thing of fandom. We are no supposed to suck our fave artists' blood till it's dried. In my humble opinion, U2 have done enough to sit back and relax. Instead they are busy working hard. Everyone's entitled not to like, but I don't think we can assume it's something disappointing. To feel disappointed means you had someething solid to expect. So what was it? I guess one can say that wanted something different. But please, be specific. It's easy to criticize but hard to be objective.

cmon guys boots is much better, and it should be or else they wouldve realesed NLOTH as their first single

Interesting. For me both Boots and NLOTH2 took a few listens to really get into. However, for me NLOTH is much better and would have made a much stronger first single. :reject:

The beat in NLOTH--especially when the drums kicks in at the beginning --is catchy and makes me want to dance :applaud: At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about Bono's vocals but after a few listens I really love it. It's hard to judge from the 45 sec bit but I think that I will love this rockier version better than the version that will be in the album.

I actually like this a lot and I wan't expecting to. I like it way better than Boots. Not sure it would be a better first single, it's not as accessible. It reminds me of a mix of a song like Wire and something from Pop. Plus Bono sounds way younger here. I still don't know what exactly to think about it because it's pretty different. It's pretty darn cool though. My only complaint is that little squiggly electronic noise that comes in at 30 secs. It doesn't fit and sounds kind of silly to me.

Judguing from the clips though, I'd say I'll probably like the album version better. I just like the moodier songs better.

Now that at least one version of NLOTH has been officially released, do you think U2 will perform it live when they do the 5 nights on Letterman?

Or will it be one night of Boots and 4 nights of older stuff?

The album not yet being released does not preclude the playing of new material. In 2004, they played almost half the album before it was released.

Ok, I've listened to the song a bunch more times and it's reaaallly growing on me. Just listen on headphones and pump it up.

Without a doubt the key is the rhythm section. Just plain awesome how it hammers away throughout the whole song :drool: In that way it's kind of like EP and America.

And don't diss the squiggles and ambient effects going on in the background!!! They rule!

All in all, I think this is just a weird song that you can groove out to. I'm still pretty sure I'll like the slower, heavier album version, but I'm liking this version more and more.

I actually like this a lot and I wan't expecting to. I like it way better than Boots. Not sure it would be a better first single, it's not as accessible. It reminds me of a mix of a song like Wire and something from Pop. Plus Bono sounds way younger here. I still don't know what exactly to think about it because it's pretty different. It's pretty darn cool though. My only complaint is that little squiggly electronic noise that comes in at 30 secs. It doesn't fit and sounds kind of silly to me.

Judguing from the clips though, I'd say I'll probably like the album version better. I just like the moodier songs better.

hey, cool to see that you're judging this fairly, and that you like it, since i think we have very similar music taste. :)

The electronic sound sounds very "hip and right now" along with the drums and bass, distorted guitar and "ow-ow-ow-owoooo-hoo". U2 have definitely been listening to newer bands.

Still don't like the bridge though...

The electronic sound sounds very "hip and right now" along with the drums and bass, distorted guitar and "ow-ow-ow-owoooo-hoo". U2 have definitely been listening to newer bands.

Still don't like the bridge though...

Funny you say that, I hear T-Rex more than anything in this song. Glam rock returns.

One of the things I dig is the reversed guitar at the beginning. I wonder if we'll be hearing more on the album anywhere.

Interesting, the bridge is my favorite part of the song, next to the final chorus. Now this may offend some people, but the beginning of this song, when the beat kicks in, reminds me of that Hillary Duff song. "There's people talking....talking about me..." - I D.J. parties in my spare time, and unfortunately that means having to endure all this mainstream crap.

Back to Bono's vocals. If he could pull it off, i'd say way to go Bono. But he just always sounds out of breath and shaky when he tries for that high pitch these days. Yea, A for effort, A for the passion...but I'm sorry you get a C for execution.

This is ok but the pace of this version doesn't feel right for the song in my opinion. In fact the chorus of "no line no line etc" doesn't sound right at this tempo. Also Bono's vocals at one point sound like he's on helium its kinda comical. Don't get me wrong there are good points about it like the excellent intro and the guitar sound is great, its that the whole song just sounds too quick. The album version from what I hear of the clips will be a lot better than this.

I've come to the conclusion that this song is weird. I have it on repeat now. Bono sounds really different. But, I like it. It's different, funky, and fun. :up:

I've come to the conclusion that this song is weird. I have it on repeat now. Bono sounds really different. But, I like it. It's different, funky, and fun. :up:

agreed. it almost sounds like they could have had a couple drinks in them before they recorded this version. :lol: :D

better than boots, bono has a new sound here. very cool top of register stuff, and he just hangs up there during the whole song. if only they could do something cooler with the no line on the horizon parts, they need to speed that part up not slow it down, thats why they are old, too many oohs...dig the hands that built, opera part, steal

A couple of people have mentioned a 3-track GOYB CD (based on Amazon's early listing).

Just to let you know, I'm told by my source that the 3 track has been canned and the GOYB remix version intended for the 3 track will probably feature as the b-side on the next single.

It sounds like all 4 singles will have just one b-side, with the band favouring alternate versions of album tracks rather than new songs.

But I'm still hopefully Every Breaking Wave with find it's way onto a single.

Thats fair that you don't remember what the article said, because it came out what seems to be ages ago. But what I mentioned was in that article.

What you are "hearing" is a song that is different from the album version. Just because its not set to a dance or trip hop beat and extended 8 extra minutes doesn't mean it can't be a remix.

Here's a perfect example: Electrical Storm - released as the regular song and the William Orbit MIX. TWO different songs, with TWO fairly similar music tracks, and the EXACT same vocals. Do you consider that song to be an ALTERNATE VERSION? Because honestly, I would. Its an alternate treatment to the song. Same lyrics, almost identical vocals, right? But its labeled a mix...or remix.

Whats the difference in NLOTH2? People keep saying that its not the vocals...I keep reading that they are basically the same from this version and the 45 sec clip. The difference seems to be the music part....same scenario as Electrical Storm. So is it an alternate version? yes. Can't it also be called a REMIX? Yup.

Again, I really think the argument is pointless, because as I said...it really doesn't matter what you call it. The song is NOT the final version. So whether it is a remix or alternate version (neither of which is the FINAL version) it doesn't matter what you call it, because it doesn't change the fact that it is not on the album. period.

I'm not continuing this argument because I think it's all that important, but you should understand the difference.

The Electrical Storm mixes are alternate mixes, hence remix. You may change up the guitar here or there, but you are using the same drum tracks, bass tracks, and vocal tracks.

You can't do this with the two NLOTHs. They don't use the same tracks. It's not a matter of turning down this guitar and mixing in a new one. The two NLOTH wouldn't line up with each other if you tried to take this guitar part from one and place it on the other it wouldn't work. It's a big difference.

I don't like the Magnificent intro either.

Anyhow, on NLOTH... I love this version - better than what I can get from the clip version. That little bass thing (good job again on the music terminology, nadie...) that doesn't seem to be there in the album version is cool.

My mp3 ends abruptly though :( Well, off to beg someone to send me a new file.

What? Are you serious? It sounds really cool. Almost like an 80's feel with 21st Century sound.

I'm kind of surprised by how much disappointment there is with this song. To each their own, but it must be the people who aren't looking for much change. This is about as big a departure from the typical 'U2 sound' that they've had since '97.

I love 'boots', but this song gets me much more excited about the album. I can't wait to hear 'No Line (v.1)' , too. After listening to the 30 second clips, it looks like that one will fit the mood of the album better... but this one definitely rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom