GA Discussion / Camera policies, etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rules for Gillette Stadium.. I would gather that a point and clicker is the same as a camera with detachable lens?

stadium:

* Bags of any kind, excluding small hand held purses, and plastic carrier bags carrying purchases made at the ProShop. Contents of these bags will be inspected.
* Purses larger than an 8 1/2" x 11" x 6" sheet of paper will NOT be allowed into the stadium.
* Any type of chair or seat other than those approved for persons with accessibility issues.
* All video cameras are prohibited. Cameras that have detachable lenses are allowed, however, they may be checked to ensure they are what they appear to be.
* Electrical items such as small transistor radios, small TV monitors, audio recording equipment, cellphones, etc. will be allowed through the gates; however, you may be required to turn on the equipment to ensure it is what it appears to be.
* Seat cushions will be allowed into the stadium after they have been checked by security.
* Binoculars will be allowed into the stadium. The binoculars will be checked first to ensure they are what they appear to be, and all binocular cases will be checked.
* Flags will be allowed access into the stadium; however, flag poles over 2 feet in length will not be allowed (See banner policy below).

Prohibited Items List:

* Any alcoholic beverages.
* Weapons of any kind [including knives].
* Food or beverages [unless the individual is in possession of a letter signed by Mark Briggs, Vice President of Security and Front of House Operations.]
* Illegal drugs and any other illegal substance.
* Coolers or containers, including cans and bottles.
* Umbrellas.
* Fireworks or pyrotechnics.
* Animals, except service animals assisting those with disabilities.
* Strollers or baby seats.
* Folding, stand alone, chairs.
* Noisemakers, bullhorns, air horns
* Helium balloons, beach balls.
* Any other item deemed inappropriate by stadium management.

I got my Nikon D80 in. I brought my 18-55mm lens. It is just barely over 3 inches (the stated maximum for the Chicago shows). I was ready to rationalize that the lens cap/UV lens/attaching mechanism shouldn't count. LOL

One other thing, I also took the lens off of the camera while entering. I just had the cover screwed onto the camera so that they wouldn't see a large lens. I put the lens in one of my cargo shorts pockets. Turned out this wasn't necessary. I had my camera in a small camera bag in my Blackberry bag (free handout at the show) He looked in the top and massaged the bag. To be honest, I wouldn't even classify it as a bag check. This will probably differ based on the venue.

Good luck.

Here are some of my photos from Red Zone 2 - Chicago 2.

James Mikolajczyk's Photos - U2 - Chicago 2 | Facebook

Man, I contemplated bringing in my D90 w/ 10-20mm lens...kicking myself now. :(

How is the GA going so far?

Sorry I've been busy lately and haven't been able to keep up. I've read a few threads and seem to be getting mixed info on how the GA is going. How early are people lining up? Are they taking numbers and honoring them and letting you come back like on the last tour or are people having to hang out in line all day? The concert I'm going to is Las Vegas. I'm taking my boyfriend who isn't really a U2 fan (doesn't hate them, just not sure he's a fan) and I'm not sure how much torturing he's going to put up with haha. Plus I'm not sure how early we'll be able to get there as we might be having to drive down (from Utah, provo area) that morning. I'd rather drive down on Thursday and already be there but not sure that's happening. Also I just found out that Our Lady Peace is playing the night before, anyone planning on going to that? I haven't been able to find out where to buy tickets for that.

I have the chance to get seat tickets instead, I'd really rather be in the GA but I'm wondering if I won't be able to be down there in the morning if I'll still be able to get a good GA spot. GA isn't too much fun for me if I don't get a good spot, I'm short. :/

Same goes for me for TORONTO #2 show...
GA policy?
#s given out, self-policed? (my last GA was Elevation Toronto)
are we able to have a friend join us in line later in the day (4 of us are holding down the line)? is this cool, not-cool?
Thanks for all of your input/advice!

Just got my GA tickets today for Landover, Maryland. I have a question though, they say:

Section: FLD04
Row/Box: GA4
Seats: 27/28

Are there actually sections or is it still first come first serve spots?

I got my Nikon D80 in. I brought my 18-55mm lens. It is just barely over 3 inches (the stated maximum for the Chicago shows). I was ready to rationalize that the lens cap/UV lens/attaching mechanism shouldn't count. LOL

One other thing, I also took the lens off of the camera while entering. I just had the cover screwed onto the camera so that they wouldn't see a large lens. I put the lens in one of my cargo shorts pockets. Turned out this wasn't necessary. I had my camera in a small camera bag in my Blackberry bag (free handout at the show) He looked in the top and massaged the bag. To be honest, I wouldn't even classify it as a bag check. This will probably differ based on the venue.

Good luck.

Here are some of my photos from Red Zone 2 - Chicago 2.

James Mikolajczyk's Photos - U2 - Chicago 2 | Facebook

Nice photos! Thanks for the info on the cameras.

I'm so tempted to bring my Nikon D80, but I have 135mm lens.

Just got my GA tickets today for Landover, Maryland. I have a question though, they say:

Section: FLD04
Row/Box: GA4
Seats: 27/28

Are there actually sections or is it still first come first serve spots?

GA is just that - General Admission, no fixed seating. All that Section/Row/Seat stuff on GA tix is just to help the system to keep track of how many tickets are sold.

Okay, thanks. :) I thought that's what it was for, but was just checking.

Can't wait! ^__^

I left my D90 out in Chicago. They said lenses under 3" were allowed. The smallest lens I had was borderline 3" at its widest angle. I showed it to security and he said he didn't care but someone else might, so I didn't want to risk it plus it's so heavy and big for being cramped in the ellipse. I'm glad I left it behind. I looked at pics of the stage before we went and none of them (even pro ones) I have seen so far really do this tour any justice!

Questions for those standing in line early in GA

1. How do you avoid having to go to the bathroom? I assume that even if you have people who hold the line for you, that, once you enter the GA area when the gates open, you can no longer do that.

How do you avoid the need to go?

2. How do you avoid your feet and knees and ankles hurting like mad?

Thanks in advance.

I'll tell you what I've been doing every time I go to a concert, even if it's not GA.

I barely eat or drink anything all day and my body gets all stressed out and anxious, and I have to go quite a bit and then my body just tenses up so much I don't have to go, but my legs and feet kill me and it sometimes gets to the point of plain misery and wanting the concert to end, which is such a terrible realization, given all the sacrifice.

Same goes for me for TORONTO #2 show...
GA policy?
#s given out, self-policed? (my last GA was Elevation Toronto)
are we able to have a friend join us in line later in the day (4 of us are holding down the line)? is this cool, not-cool?
Thanks for all of your input/advice!
From what I could gather at tonight's show, based on talking to others in the seats, the inner circle is only for special people who bought tickets for $300 at some auction. Sounds odd.
Kinda unfair to fans who expected to at least have the chance to get access to the inner circle via the fan club sale, even if this is for charity or whatever.

Awww No beach balls? Thats sad for Bono.:lol:
Good. I HATE it when people start tossing beach balls when I'm trying to watch and listen to a concert. It's always people who are bored by the song or trying to be noticed or obnoxious.

I can't stand it when people wave their arms in front of my face so I can't see the band properly either. Screaming "whoo" during quiet parts of songs is equally pathetically cliche and all about getting attention. I'm there to watch and hear the band, not these obnoxious idiots.

From what I could gather at tonight's show, based on talking to others in the seats, the inner circle is only for special people who bought tickets for $300 at some auction. Sounds odd.
Kinda unfair to fans who expected to at least have the chance to get access to the inner circle via the fan club sale, even if this is for charity or whatever.

That's totally false. The two sections outside the circle on either side of the stage is the Red Zone and were the sections that were auctioned off (all of U2's profit going to charity)

The inner circle was first come first serve and open to anyone with a GA ticket.

From this picture the only spaces auctioned off were those depicted as Red Zone 1 & 2.

27555s.gif

Last edited:

um no... ur wrong... and you are basing what others told you as fact? :| Ever hear of the game: "telephone"... Enough said...

1. How do you avoid having to go to the bathroom? I assume that even if you have people who hold the line for you, that, once you enter the GA area when the gates open, you can no longer do that.

You don't, you go when you need to and someone holds your place in line. Once you enter the GA area, if your going for the inner circle, you get your hand stamped or wristbanded. This allows you to go out of the inner circle and for bathroom, drinks, food etc and then get back in. If your just in the regular GA area, you just go and come as you please.

But if your one of those people who plans to stand some place and not move from that place for the entire concert, then you'll either have to arrange something with the people around you and hope others will let you back in towards that spot.

The way you avoid your feet, ankles, knees, legs, back from hurting is by moving around.

Bottom line, stay hydrated, eat something, go to the bathroom when you need to and move around, and you'll have a much more enjoyable concert experience and feel great afterwards.

Again, if your concerned about being up close, the inner circle is for you. You'll get a nice spot up close anywhere in that inner circle and be able to come and go as you please once your hand gets wristbanded or stamped. By getting into the inner circle, you essentially give yourself a reserved spot up close to the stage allowing you to do whatever you need to do outside of GA and still retain a close spot next to the stage.

The first 2,700 people in General Admission get to be in the inner circle. So far it looks like getting there before the gates open to let people in to the stadium is enough to get one into the inner circle.

I got this e-mail today

September 17, 2009
General Information:

Parking lots open at 3:00 PM
Stadium gates open at 5:00 PM
Show starts at 7:00 PM

General Admission / Field Seating Ticket Holder Information:

All patrons with field tickets will access the field via the Patriot Place Gate which is conveniently located between the Gillette Stadium ticket office and The Hall at Patriot Place. This is the only gate for field access and no other tickets will be accepted at this location.

Please be advised that there is no early issuance of wristbands prior to the gate opening time of 5:00 PM and all wristbands will be issued upon entrance into the stadium via the Patriot Place Gate. Further, no line will be allowed to form for access to the field / general admission sections prior to the parking lot opening time of 3:00 PM. The line will be opened at this time on a first come first serve basis.

The parking lot opening time of 3:00 PM is defined exclusively by the Town of Foxborough license issued for this event and law enforcement personnel will be on hand to ensure compliance with this restriction by all patrons. We strongly urge all patrons NOT to arrive prior to 3:00 PM on show day as they will be directed to return at 3:00 PM. We thank you in advance for your adherence to this required public safety directive.

To reiterate the event day procedures:

Patrons are to arrive beginning at 3:00 PM when the lots open.
Early arrivers will be turned away and directed to return at 3:00 PM
There will be no lining up for entry to the stadium prior to 3:00 PM on show day.
This line will be formed beginning at the Patriot Place Gate at 3:00 PM
The line will be formed on a first come first served basis starting at 3:00 PM
Patrons will enter the Stadium in an orderly manner and as directed beginning at 5:00 PM. Failure to follow the directions of stadium and U2 staff could result in loss of ticket privileges so please be patient.

The first 2,700 people in General Admission get to be in the inner circle. So far it looks like getting there before the gates open to let people in to the stadium is enough to get one into the inner circle.

9/12 Stacey & I walked into GA/FLOOR Area at 6p.m. long story short we ended up inside circle/pit six rows back Adam's Side

One thing I learned from that day if you are doing GA

REST your feet if you missed it the first time REST your feet

We got off The Glorified Cattle Car aka The Blue Line @ Lake/Clark & she thought it would be nice to walk to Soldier's Field which took a long long time needless to say by 7p.m. my heels were hurting bad!

Once you enter the GA area, if your going for the inner circle, you get your hand stamped or wristbanded. This allows you to go out of the inner circle and for bathroom, drinks, food etc and then get back in. If your just in the regular GA area, you just go and come as you please.

Easier said than done once they've packed the circle.

Back
Top Bottom