For those interested, here's what I think about Rattle and Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
With the purchase of this (and a proper copy of UABRS for $2) I now have all the albums of the 80's, and the B-sides on the best of. I won't bore you with a full review, cos the only new tracks for me were Hawkmoon 269, Love Rescue Me, Heartland and God Part II. So, for those who want a gander, here goes:

I was very, VERY disappointed by the way Van Dieman's Land is on the album. It doesn't even finish and then has the interview off the DVD. Why wasn't it recorded in full? Does anyone have a full version? Otherwise nice song, very recognisably folk.

Hawkmoon 269
I think this is very much a momentum song, which Larry carries with that familiar drumming. It's quite catchy, a good chorus, with good vocals but is probably just a bit too long for me. Very good drumming though. 7

Love Rescue Me
Didn't like this one a great deal. The lyrics are pretty deep, but it's too long, and I don't think it's one of Bono's best vocals,although they suit the song. One of those songs you can see being played (or I can see being played) at the end of night of dancing in a country town. I think the chorus is a bit disconnected as well. 5

Heartland
Well the start isn't exactly awe-inspiring, but it is good and I like the atmosphere it creates, the bass is great coupled with the guitar. Definitely one of the better songs on the album. The vocals are great, especially in the chorus when carried by the oh-oh-ohs in the background. I also think the vocals sound yearning, in a way. 8

God Part II
Not what I was expecting, let me tell you that much. I thought this was going to be a nice quiet ballad. But I got the opposite and I liked what I heard. The rythym section is great, but what I like most is the guitar. It's kick-ass! 8

If this generates a bit of interest, I'll elobarate more on the other tracks, but it's 11:30 at night and I need some sleep.

Goodnight.

The DVD/ VHS version of Van Diemend's Land is far superior (despite it's shorter) than the album one :ohmy:

It's a pity they didn't include it full :(

Re: Re: For those interested, here's what I think about Rattle and Hum

ponkine said:
The DVD/ VHS version of Van Diemend's Land is far superior (despite it's shorter) than the album one :ohmy:

It's a pity they didn't include it full :(

I agree with you;) I just love that song so much... And I'm not very into R&H, but when it comes to VDL... It gets at me everytime. It's just the way he sings it...

COBL_04 said:

God Part II
Not what I was expecting, let me tell you that much. I thought this was going to be a nice quiet ballad. But I got the opposite and I liked what I heard. The rythym section is great, but what I like most is the guitar. It's kick-ass! 8

If you enjoy the album version, wait until you see the live version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7EnmAON-Q4

That's still one of U2's coolest live videos.

The movie > the album, but the album is still strong in its own way.

GO BUY ZOOROPA AND POP! I BEG YOU!

COBL_04 said:

God Part II

needs a 10, but still, :up: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Re: Re: For those interested, here's what I think about Rattle and Hum

GibsonGirl said:

If you enjoy the album version, wait until you see the live version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7EnmAON-Q4

That's still one of U2's coolest live videos.

that solo at the end is nothing compaired to some of the ones edge did on the song during lovetown. im talking like 8 notes per second :drool:

Last edited:
martha said:
Why the hell the fucking blistering movie version of SBS isn't on the album, I'll never know. :mad:

Hmm I wondered about that as well. While we're here, can someone please explain to me -- who the hell is Charles Manson and what does he have to do with U2? How did he 'steal' Helter Skelter from the Beatles?

COBL_04 said:

Hmm I wondered about that as well. While we're here, can someone please explain to me -- who the hell is Charles Manson and what does he have to do with U2? How did he 'steal' Helter Skelter from the Beatles?

Charles Manson and his followers murdered some people in 1969 claiming that it was hidden messages in Helter Skelter that lead them to do so (in fact I seem to remember they wrote "Helter Skelter" on the walls of the houses of the ppl they killed). In that sense, he stole the song off of the White Album, giving it a forever sinister feeling.

U2 were stealing it back as a simple hard rock song.

Heartland is just awesome
one of the highlights of their career

(and Edge owns All I want is you)

tommycharles said:

Charles Manson and his followers murdered some people in 1969 claiming that it was hidden messages in Helter Skelter that lead them to do so

Is that why there is a subliminal reference to Exit? (in U2: Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song) Because some guy murdered an actor and he said he was motivated to do so by Exit? I think in the book the last line in the Helter Skelter story says 'Look no further than the sign marked 'Exit'.

And thanks david.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom