For Cat Lovers Only XVII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ee3b3ff0-44be-40de-bd69-e778e4c8d528.jpg

and yeah...just a plain old brown paper grocery bag is Wesley's new best friend. I have no idea why it's fun for him to move it from one side of the room to another but it is. Anything that keeps him off the kitchen counters and away from that ugly tree is a good thing for me :D

I think Phoebe is exposing herself as a finicky eater. :grumpy:

After her surgery, she had a bit of an adjustment as she switched completely to wet food, and healed from all that trauma. She was finally eating all her wet food, morning and night (most days, which was still an improvement).

Then I took her in for the ear thing, and the vet said she'd lost half a pound. He wasn't concerned; he just figured she'd finally adjusted her appetite after the surgery, and that I should increase her to 1 1/2 cans of wet food in the morning and at night, and then weigh her again in a month.

Well of course, now she barely touches her wet food most days. I figured at first it was just the trauma from another vet visit and then 10 days of ear drops. But I swear, now she's just doing it to spite me.

Okay, not really. I thought maybe she's just tired of Fancy Feast, even the tuna flavor, which seemed to be her favorite. So I've tried other brands, and other flavors. Still the same - some days she'll do well, others it looks like she barely touches it.

Not wanting her to starve, I'll put out some dry food, and she eats that right away. So it doesn't sound like her appetite is the problem, it just seems like she's finicky about the wet food.

I'm hoping that's the case, that her appetite is actually fine and it's just that she's trying my patience, and that I don't have to take her in for a set of freaking tests or anything to figure out why she won't eat - because she will eat, just the dry food, and I don't want to resort to just giving her that because all I hear about now is how bad dry food is for cats (even though growing up that's all our cats ate, and they lived wonderfully long and fulfilling lives - but that's an annoyance for another time. :lol: )

What do you cat experts think?

I think you should feed her whatever she will eat. It's better than her not eating. I know a lot of cats with no teeth that still manage to eat dry food.

Okay, cool. Thanks for the reassurance. :)

I'll still give her some of both for now so she's at least eating a little of the wet food. I did notice that the other day when she ate the dry and left the wet, she at least drank some of her water, so she's still drinking water if she needs it.

I think you should feed her whatever she will eat. It's better than her not eating. I know a lot of cats with no teeth that still manage to eat dry food.

I agree with Sicy's answer here.

Especially considering the doctor's visits and medicine/drops that she's been through, just go with the flow for now.

As long as she's eating regularly, that's all that really matters in the long run.

Who knows, maybe after some time when she's feeling "normal", whatever that point may be for her, she may come back to a mixture of wet and dry food.

You could try one more thing if you haven't already done so. Instead of the canned wet food, maybe get her some fresh meat, you might have a chicken breast or something in your refrigerator, chop off some small bits and microwave for about 10 seconds and see if she likes it.

Keto absolutely loves it when I give him chicken like that.

I'll try that. :up: I've tried it before with tuna, and she took one whiff and walked away. :lol:

I'll keep trying and will definitely not give up on the wet food. It's not like she doesn't eat it at all, so at least she'll get some of it.

I'll try that. :up: I've tried it before with tuna, and she took one whiff and walked away. :lol:

I'll keep trying and will definitely not give up on the wet food. It's not like she doesn't eat it at all, so at least she'll get some of it.

Don't forget to cover the pieces of chicken while you're microwaving them.

I found out the hard way that small bits of chicken cook very fast, in a matter of seconds, and if left uncovered have a tendancy to EXPLODE all over the inside of your microwave. :huh:

this happens daily....he sits in the sink and cries like he's been mortally wounded until we turn the water on. Then he lays down and gets completely soaked. Then he'll take a drink and go running off into the other room, still soaked, and lays down on the couch. :happy: At least he lays down on a Wesley designated blanket. I should get him a fountain so he can drink flowing water on his own but I think he'd still sit in the sink and scream until I turn the water on because he likes to get wet. :coocoo:

:lol: I've seen cats who sit and wait to drink out of the faucet, or play with the water, but never seen that before.

because all I hear about now is how bad dry food is for cats (even though growing up that's all our cats ate, and they lived wonderfully long and fulfilling lives - but that's an annoyance for another time. :lol: )

Wally only gets dry food :reject:

Worf started out on dry food when we first got her and then my dad would give her a can of wet as a treat. Pretty soon, she would only then eat wet food and stayed that way for the rest of her life. I don't really want to go though that with Wally.

I can totally understand that but since Wally is a male he has a greater chance of getting a urinary blockage, especially on dry food only so make sure he drinks a lot of water. :up:

:flirt:
IMG00012-20100929-1842.jpg

oh and the box behind him is the box that he came in. He plays with that too. He used to run it in and hide when I first got him but now he manages to get it from one side of the room to another. I usually wake up everyday and find the bag and box by the steps that are on the other side of this room. I think if he could he would probably carry them up the steps. I've found his upstairs toys downstairs and some of his downstairs balls upstairs under the couches. He's so goofy. :heart:

Jims parents cat has like 2 teeth and he still eats dry food plus he's like 18 :ohmy:

:uhoh: Why is it bad to feed your cat only dry food? My cat has gotten dry food for her whole life, and sometimes wet food if it's a special occasion like when she needs her anti-flea stuff(it's stuff you mix with the wet food).

:cute: Haven't posted in a while but am still enoying all the pics.

I feed dry as well, never had any bladder or urinary issues though.

I believe cats' urine tends to be very concentrated, so if the cat does not drink enough fluids on their own, they can get infections and "crystals" very easily. The easy way to ensure they are getting enough fluid is to feed a wet/canned food.

Females dont normally have issues with a dry food diet only. Their urethras are much wider than a males so they dont get blocked, but they can still get crystals (like Zoey).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom