For Cat Lovers Only VIII - Post Pics, Ask Questions, Comments, Etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard of cats being attracted to the smell of honeysuckle?

I was just looking around for some new cat toys, and came up with several sites selling honeysuckle scented stuff. Apparently, it is suppose to attract them like catnip does, but I had never heard of that before. I know the plant itself is toxic to them, though. :huh:

ETA: I found this snippet of info about it.

http://sub.allpetsconsidered.com/Primary%20Pages/About_Honeysuckle.htm

Last edited:
Zoey LOVES honeysuckle! I highly recommend it. :yes:

honesuckl34.jpg

honesuckle5.jpg

honesuckle3.jpg

:giggle:

Sicy said:
Zoey LOVES honeysuckle! I highly recommend it. :yes:

honesuckl34.jpg

honesuckle5.jpg

honesuckle3.jpg

:giggle:

:lol: That is adorable!

Maybe I will give it a try. Pokey is pretty old, 16 to be exact, but he still plays like a kitten. He gets bored of toys quickly, though, so I am always trying to find something new he will like.

music.u2 said:
Is it only that company's flea collars that harm your cat?

Flea collars in general are worthless and have known to cause nothing but problems in cats.

If you want to use a flea preventative I would ONLY use Advantage, Frontline, or Revolution.

Sicy said:

Flea collars in general are worthless and have known to cause nothing but problems in cats.

That, and you don't want ANY kind of collar on a cat that isn't a "breakaway" collar.

Haven't shared here yet, i have limited time for this interference addiction!!! My cat is adorable. We rescued her from the roadside after a rainstorm- she was 3 weeks old. She dashed across 2 lanes of BUSY traffic, and made it, settling down right next to our car, on the sidewalk. She is now a total lap cat. I've been raising 4 kittens that i found outside my yard since they were 2-3 weeks old, and at 8 weeks, yesterday, had to bring them to a shelter. i couldn't find homes for them and couldn't keep any..i have been crying for 2 days, i miss them so much. they were so unsocial at first, and then i got them to trust me and play and purr whenever someone petted them. Feeling very:sad: but know they are safe and healthy.

My Chloe has been binge-eating lately. She's fat, so we have her eating only 2/3 cup of her food a day, 1/3 in the morning and 1/3 in the evening.

That's normally enough to last her, but lately she gobbles up what shes given immediately, then continues to act hungry and ask for more.

Granted, she has been receiving much less food from the table, so that could have something to do with it. Otherwise she's been acting normal.

If this keeps up we may have to call the vet, unless y'all can think of what may be going on. I'm kind of worried :(

U2democrat said:
My Chloe has been binge-eating lately. She's fat, so we have her eating only 2/3 cup of her food a day, 1/3 in the morning and 1/3 in the evening.

That's normally enough to last her, but lately she gobbles up what shes given immediately, then continues to act hungry and ask for more.

Granted, she has been receiving much less food from the table, so that could have something to do with it. Otherwise she's been acting normal.

If this keeps up we may have to call the vet, unless y'all can think of what may be going on. I'm kind of worried :(

Hmmm....I'm not sure.

Our cats get a little less than 1/2 total for the day. Just under 1/4 in the morning (they trample each other when I open the door) and just under 1/4 at 10pm (they start meowing nonstop for food at exactly 9:17 each night). Hardly any treats or table scraps, maybe a little tidbit of chicken once a week if we make it.

How are her poops? Normal? Is it a super premium food? I ask b/c I had issues trying a better quality food. They needed less of it because it was more dense in nutrients and such, but the cats never felt full and still whined all the time. I use a more bland, mid quality food because it makes them feel more full and doesn't upset Beckham's stomach. I know it's not the best food out there, but I like their weights, they have nice coats, good teeth, solid poo that's not terribly stinky, and no health problems.

U2democrat said:

It sounds as if you have cut down both her snacks (table scraps) and her regular kibble. If so she probably is hungry so she's snarfing her food when she does get it. Perhaps you can try to cut her food down a bit more gradually and get her used to eating less over the course of a few weeks.

I did that with my dog. Instead of cutting out all snacks and reducing the amount of kibble all at once, I cut it down fairly slowly. First thing I did was cut his snacks in half or thirds, but I still gave them to him as often. Then I reduced the number of times I'd give him snacks a bit (I haven't cut them out totally, but just to a more manageable level). Only then did I cut down the amount of kibble I gave him. Worked like a charm. He never wolfed down his food or begged a lot and he lost the weight I wanted him to lose.

She's been eating this same food for ages now...it's Iams diet or something (in a turquoise bag). We've had her on 2/3 cup a day for at least a month, but only in the last week or so have we seriously cut down on her treats and table scraps. The deposits in her litter box seem normal too.

We'll be monitoring her the next few days...I hate to see her "starve" but as she is obese (17 lbs) she really needs to stick to the diet.

It may take her time to adjust. I don't think it's possible she can starve with that amount of food. She's probably pissed b/c she's so used to getting more, but she'll get over it. Mine always put up a huge stink any time I tinker with their diets or feeding times. If you ask them, they think they need to be fed a 1/4 cup five times a day!

U2democrat said:

Can you try feeding her more than twice a day? I don't mean by adding extra food in, just seperate it out into three or four smaller meals.

I do this with my cats, because if not, they drive me crazy by waking me up early in the morning or mowing constantly throughout the day. I feed them when I get up, when I get home from work, and once before I go to bed. The first two "meals" are a little bigger, while the last is really more of a snack. Each cat gets about a 1/2 cup throughout the day.

Avoid cat treats. They are the equivalent of soda for humans, all calories and no nutritional content. If you really want to give a cat a treat, give it some real meat, like the chicken Liesje suggested.

I hope you find something that works.

ylimeU2 said:

Avoid cat treats. They are the equivalent of soda for humans, all calories and no nutritional content. If you really want to give a cat a treat, give it some real meat, like the chicken Liesje suggested.

Try to tell that to my Jack! If seven o'clock rolls around and he doesn't get some treats, he meows and meows and meows like the world is ending.

It's funny, I just realized the other day that I haven't used cat treats in probably 8 months. I used to always have one or two cans around and I used them to train the cats (the know their name, come to their name, off, treat, time to eat, out, and spider), but now that they are trained I haven't needed any treats. That, and they want kibble so bad if I need to lure them to do something, I use some normal food.

I suppose their one treat is I let them sniff and lick out my dog treat belt pouch when I get back from the kennels.

When we got Callie from the Humane Society through PetSmart, she weighed 8 pounds. When she went back to the vet six months later, she had porked up to almost 13 pounds! We learned she has an eating disorder. You can put food down for most cats; and they will eat a little, walk away, come back later and eat some more. She, however, would gobble up anything in the bowl, no matter how often we'd put stuff down.

We don't know her history, other than that she was a stray when the HS picked her up. Just from the way she acts, we think she must have been abused in the past, and her little toe pads were all rough when we got her, like she'd been walking on pavement a lot.

Anyway, she was put on a diet, 1/3 cup of Purina Hairball and Weight Control (semi-moist) food, at intervals throughout the day. Her last visit to the vet showed that she'd slimmed down to 10-1/2 pounds, and she looks good!

CallieAndersonTartan05small.jpg

(I need to upload some more pictures of her.)

It doesn't help that her brother Fergus, whom we took in as a neighborhood stray last summer, eats "normally." He only eats when he's hungry (I could take a page from that book! :wink: ); but when he eats, he eats with great enthuasism and gusto. We can't leave food down for him because she eats it!

MsPurrl said:
We learned she has an eating disorder. You can put food down for most cats; and they will eat a little, walk away, come back later and eat some more. She, however, would gobble up anything in the bowl, no matter how often we'd put stuff down.

I used to think that our cats were unusual, because all six of them will eat non stop and cannot be free fed. Now I'm finding more and more that are way too fat or are puking a lot (like Beckham does) b/c of too much food. I used to think I wasn't feeding them enough, but I take them to the vet and they say they look great! I took Marijke in b/c I thought she was too thin. She was very malnourished as a kitten before we got her and she's super active. She's 8 months old and 5.5 lbs and they said she looked great. We thought Posh was too thin a year ago and upped her portions, then when I took her to the vet they said she was 10 lbs and at the max for her ideal weight, so I got her back down to about 8.5. I seemed like a never-ending battle, but now that Beckham and Posh are adults, their activity levels and body structure have evened out so I've been able to get their portions just right. I still watch Marijke carefully b/c she is young and has so much fur it's hard to gauge her weight. I gave them a wet food treat a few weeks ago when Posh was sick and she didn't finish her portion, so I suppose she's been getting enough.

WildHoneyAlways said:

:lol: What does the spider command encourage them to do?

The spider command is the best! It actually refers to any bug that I don't want to catch myself. Just the other night I used it to sic them all on a giant mayfly. My old house was infested with spiders, which is how it started. Beckham can jump over 6 feet straight up from a sitting position and Posh has this amazing ability to go from sleeping to grabbing a fly out of the air in .00000001 seconds. If I find a bug, I tell them there's a spider and they all get excited and come kill it. If they find one they can't reach, they will howl and meow until someone lifts them up or knocks it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom