Fan Experience: Traveling to Dublin with 'MTV Fanatic'*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265dublin1-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Tania Almeida

This past January, Interference.com member Tania Almeida (better known as my_kite on the forum) won MTV Portugal's U2 Fanatic competition, earning the opportunity to travel to Dublin with an MTV crew and visit many U2 sites.

Below are Tania's blog entries and photos from her trip.

Jan. 11, 2005
OK...this starts to sound weird, my U2 fortune...but in fact, it seems like I can't get enough of it!

A few weeks ago, MTV started a competition on the artist of the month: U2, of course. The winner would get the chance to follow the MTV crew in a trip to Dublin to see all the U2 related places. To enter the competition people had to send a line with the words U2, MTV and Vodaphone. I gave it a shot. But...feeling completely out of luck, I even deleted my line from my computer, and never thought of it anymore.

Completely surprised, yesterday I received a phone call from MTV, telling me I was in the semifinals. All I had to do was to tell them my adress and send a picture...and wait for results! I did it in a second, but no answer arrived. But...today....guess what? Early in the morning, my telephone rings: "Tania? Hi....Susana from MTV. Congratulations, you won the contest. Can you fly with us to Dublin tomorrow?" Obviously, I was in shock. How could I say no?

So...this is what's gonna happen on the next few days. I am leaving Portugal tomorrow morning (10 a.m. I meet the MTV crew at the airport) and I'll fly back home on Sunday! In the mean time...I'll keep my fingers crossed for Bono to show up in one of those streets I'm gonna walk around!!

"Vertigo" came out...and I just realized why. I have been dizzy all the time!!

Jan. 12, 2005
This is just the beginning of an unbelievable tale. After I was surprised by an MTV Portugal phone call yesterday, telling me that I had won the MTV Fanatic contest, U2-related, today I find myself in Ireland, Dublin city, to be more precise. I arrived here four hours ago but inside of me there's an extra special feeling.

Just a little flashback: in the morning, I met the MTV crew at the Lisbon airport (it seems like the airport is meant to be part of my life, having in mind that last April I met U2 there as well!) by 10 a.m. After a brief conversation and the check in done, we flew to Barcelona. Two hours in Barcelona were more then enough to have lunch and shoot some scenes to the program. Inside the plane again, this time it's for real: Dublin city…here I go!

After a two hours flight, the vision could almost rip my heart. When you start seeing the plenty of lights covering the city and they look each second closer. The little blue lights in the landing track…AMAZING. Arrived in Dublin around 6 p.m. The feeling of visiting the world's greatest rock band homeland is just hard to understand or explain. It's the best thing in the world. The first thing that I am aware of is the airport…totally Irish. The walls, the paintings, the floor…so different from my Portugal. After we crossed the airport, we went outside and had a deep breathe of the Irish air…and it was damn cold! 5 degrees Celsius. A good jacket, and a pair of gloves and we head to the Gresham Hotel, at the O'Connell Street, right in the center of Dublin. After we got outside the bus…I start realizing the whole feeling…the Irish accent is so nice to hear. The streets…at least here they have a name!

11265normal_Street5.jpg

(Photo: Tania Almeida)

We left our belongings at the hotel and went out to have dinner. A pint of Guinness and a traditional Irish stew show us that eating is definitely not a problem in Ireland…the food is delicious. We talked briefly about the places we should visit the next day and went back to the hotel room. Some more shooting…and we couldn't help ourselves, so we just decided to make an acoustic U2 set…right in the hotel room!

After such a long day, I better get myself in bed. Tomorrow it's gonna be a big big day!

Jan. 13, 2005
Today, I am almost on my knees. Really tired. I walked more today then the last 30 days. But my soul is feeling really good!

To start the day on the right way: BONAVOX! The place that inspired the name of U2's lead vocal, known as Bono Vox. A place that existed already 30 years ago, but that went trough a few changes. But it's always cool to think that somewhere in the '70s, when Bono and the rest of the guys like Gavin Friday and Guggi used to cross that place, everything was not much more then a teen dream.

11265normal_Bonavox1.jpg

We proceeded on our journey. After we played "Walk On" in the streets, and got on our knees trying to look like Bono on the "Vertigo" video, we headed to the Rhythm Records. UNBELIEVABLE (be sure you'll save enough before you go there…cus you'll find some really interesting pieces of collection!). A few objects are even signed by the band. From the cheap postcard, to the 3,000 Euro signed guitar, you'll find things that can delight every kind of taste…and wallet! We met Peter Murray, owner of the store, who very kindly talked about the band and told us how he owns such a collection. He called me, and offered me a poster of the band, from the early days. The cool thing was that the picture was taken two minutes away from the store (right in front of the Ha'Penny Bridge) and we just headed there to see the place with our own eyes!

Walked a little more, and we found The Clarence Hotel (and I wasn't even aware I was going to have one of the most amazing moments of my life!). I was taking some pictures of the hotel, from the outside, when a car stopped right in front of us (between us and the hotel.) He looked at us, and screamed: "U2?" And I said: "YEAH!" He just made that victory sign and I understood…it was another member of our worldwide U2 family! We got inside The Clarence. Anna Wood, marketing and sales director of The Clarence, was waiting for us. We got inside the elevator. Went to the fifth floor. Suite 508. When I understood what was really happening, I almost fainted. Do you remember when U2 sang at the top of The Clarence Hotel, "Elevation" and "Beautiful Day," for the "Top of the Pops," in 2000, before the Elevation Tour? That was exactly the place where I was. I was almost swallowed by this deep feeling of craziness and satisfaction, with a cold inside my belly. I couldn't really believe it! I looked down, to the street…and I could almost see those streets full of fans…on the sidewalks…and the bridges…and the roofs… fans and more fans. It was like traveling back in time. Obviously we had to play and sing "Elevation." What a feeling it was. No doubt…it was the high point of the day!

11265normal_Clarence1.jpg

Anna briefly told us the story of the hotel and guided us trough the many rooms. Clarence has a very simple style…but very comfortable and warm. All the paintings belong to Guggi, Bono's childhood friend. We got inside the Study Room that has a very nice bonfire. The Octagon Bar made the band fall in love with the place, and they bought it as fast as they could. I still had time to hear the barman tell what Bono asks for when he goes there: Q Royal and champagne. The "sir" has a very good taste, I can tell! Another room, where U2 had their Christmas party last month. And last, but definitely not least, the Tea Room, where the band seems to have meals many times and have a reserved table in one of the room's corners! I have to mention the amazing staff of the hotel…very nice people!

11265normal_Clarence4.jpg

Proceeding on this adventure…studios! First, Hanover Quay! The mystic wall filled with fans messages. I saw a girl alone and I said she was a fan. No one believed me…so I went there and talked to her. And I was right! She was from Germany and she was decided to try her luck. I still don't know if she was lucky or not. I feel sad that this whole place is going to be demolished, because of the projects concerning Docklands (that's going to look like the Portuguese EXPO). I am glad enough that I had the chance to still see the place with my own eyes, even though people from the studio denied us the chance to get inside the studios. Another five minutes walking and we got to Ringsend Road. The second place where Windmill Lane studios took place. Nothing was scheduled to get inside, but we were lucky enough to be invited to get in. The first thing that occurred to me was that the amazing "Joshua Tree" album was recorded inside this very walls! Right in the door hall….many U2 objects where hanging on the walls. Platinum regarding "Under a Blood Red Sky," "War," "The Unforgettable Fire," "The Joshua Tree," "Pop," "Achtung Baby," "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and something concerning the "Where the Streets Have no Name" video shoot in 1988. It was hard to believe when one of the studios member asked us if we were willing to see upstairs. We just thanked and got up. AMAZING! The studio room…the recording room. I did fall in love with that studio!!! Hard to explain how I felt. But it was an incredible feeling! The place. The quiet inside. The sound board. Simply amazing. I mention once again the amazing way they treated us (it's the Irish visit card: nice and funny as you can only imagine)

11265normal_RingsendRoad13.jpg

To finish the day on the right way…we went to the first Windmill Lane studios. They aren't studios anymore, but those walls are still the ones behind whom "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "I Will Follow" and "New Year's Day" were recorded by Steve Lillywhite! The graffiti on the walls just make those walls eternal and fantastic.

11265normal_WindmillLane1.jpg

Back to the hotel we just passed the Dockers. Too sad this place is closed now. Fans usually werite their messages on the walls near the pub…and many of them are requests for the place to open again. I think they should seriously think about it! It would be the perfect spot for fan meeting! There are messages from all over the world. Australia, Italy..and yes…Portugal. We just "Walk(ed) On" and finally reached our rooms! My body is tired…but my soul is full! Just a little sneak on an Irish pub for a few pints before going to sleep. How can I help it? I am in their land!

Jan. 14, 2005
Today it was a really calm day. Much more than yesterday. Yesterday the weather was unlikely for the Irish skies, with sun and blue skies. But today, here we are…with the official Irish weather; cold, grey skies and almost raining.

Today we went to the heart of Ireland; Athlone. Ninety kilometers away from Dublin, two hours by bus. Here you can find the Moydrum Castle, immortalized on the cover of the fourth U2 album, "The Unforgettable Fire."

The castle isn't much more then ruins, but still amazing to see. The silence, the green fields, the flying birds and the mystic place create a wonderful environment. All that occurs to me is that 20 years ago U2 were in this very same place, right around a time they were only taking the first steps of un unbelievable journey that they could only dream of. The taxi driver that drove us to Moydrum was a very cool person (even though he confessed he didn't liked U2)., The typical Irish guy, that know all about history, English and Irish. And very funny.

11265normal_MoydrumCastle2.jpg

We had lunch before we returned to Dublin: Supermac's. The real Irish fast food. Back to the hotel. Spent less then 15 minutes at my room and we went to have dinner. Right after (and because Anna Wood had invited us on the previous day) we went to The Octagon Bar. Amazing place…nice and warm. I only became disappointed when I was told I just had missed Bono, who had passed around there 45 minutes before me…to have dinner with Ali some place near there. Damn….definitely … "sometimes we're sleepin' away!"

Jan. 15, 2005
Another cold grey day. At least, it's not raining. After ridding the Dublin streets for some time, we got inside a bus and moved to the place where all begun: Mount Temple High School! This is where Larry posted a note on the bulletin board requesting for musicians to start a rock band. The school is so pretty. The design, the place…looks more like a palace! No wonder that the best band in the world came from there. We decided to walk till Rosemount Avenue, where Larry Mullen Jr. used to live, where the band had their first encounter and where they usually met. From Mount Temple we walked like three kilometers. A long way, but very nice to do. A lot of green fields in a very peaceful place. I kind of felt like I was walking on their shoes!! Always imagining what may have happened in those very same streets many years ago. These are the streets where Bono and Ali used to date …maybe where some of our loved lyrics where written or just idealized.

11265normal_MountTemple10.jpg

Our journey was interrupted when something caught my attention: a store named Artane Auto Centre. And a bus stop saying Artane Roundabout! This is it. This is the place where Larry grew up and became a member of the Artane Boys Band. Not far from there…there it is. Rosemount Avenue…N' 60! Breathe taking….really! The thought of seeing the band walking inside that kitchen in 1976, to answer to the requested posted at Mount Temple!!! Chicken skin…definitely! And 30 years later…here I am!

Back to Dublin. Some shopping on Rhythm Records, passing on Dublin's Hard Rock Café (where you can obviously find a lot of U2 stuff hanging on the walls) and we went to the train station. Thirty minutes later, we were in Killiney…the place where Bono lives!

What a wonderful place. It's like an Irish Beverly Hills. Mansions and good cars. As soon as we got outside the train, we smelled and heard the ocean. We walked five minutes trough a dark road…but we found it…not more, not less, then the place owned by Mr. Bono Vox and family. The house is huge and wonderful. After a few minutes there, a car stopped. The automatic gates opened letting me see a garden, the front part of the house and dogs. A few more minutes later, a car comes close…I can't believe it! Damn..it's a Maserati. I look inside, but it isn't Bono. It was one of the security guards. He got inside and the gates closed. Ten minutes later, Jordan arrives with another girl. They also got inside. All of a sudden, one of the MTV's crew elements decided to talk to the security guy. He understood what was happening and was kind enough. He said he was sending inside a message of our presence, and requesting for Bono's presence outside, but that he could not promise us anything, cus it wasn't really up to him. Fifteen minuts later, we understood that there wouldn't be any feedback. So, we decided to leave. As soon as we started moving away…the gates opened! For a few seconds…hope rang out loud inside of me…I thought it was Bono coming out just to say Hi! How wrong I was. It was just the security guy…saying he was sorry for us, but he had no answer from the inside. We thanked him anyway…and moved away!

We headed back to town. Dinner and a little walk trough the Dublin streets. And talking about streets, we could never forget about Grafton Street. And when we talk about Grafton Street, there's only one thing that comes to us: Lillie's Bordello!! That's the private club where Bono goes so often and where he takes his "superstar" friends! I understood it's hard to get inside…otherwise there wouldn't be five security guards on the front door. Everyone that got inside was really good looking. I didn't even tried to get inside. We had a pint in a pub close to Lillie's…just to say goodbye to the Irish pints! It's late and tomorrow we have to go back home. So, this is official. The tale is over now!

Jan. 16, 2005
Today is the worst day of the whole story. It's time to leave Ireland and go back to real life. I pack my stuff and we go straight to the airport. This city is much more then I thought. I haven't left yet, and I already miss this place. The only problem is that each time you are walking in those streets, you look out for every single black Mercury looking for Bono…or trying to find any other band member. And you never know if you may crash with one of them on the next corner. From what I heard in town, everybody says that, especially Bono likes to walk around like a regular person. He goes everywhere each time he wants to. Everyone respects his privacy and gives him room. Obviously, there may be fans requesting an autograph or a kiss from time to time…but Bono likes it! After all…those little things are the ones that keep him aware of how much we love him! I look one last time to the city image, vanishing on the horizon. I know I am leaving…for now…! But you know what? "I know that this is not goodbye!"

Jan. 22, 2005
OK..I just saw the MTV “Fanatic” on MTV. I lost myself in tears. Twenty-two minutes from the best five days of my life...but I felt all the chills I had there!

Thank you MTV..thank you Vodaphone...but definitely, most of all...THANK YOU U2: Bono, Edge, Larry and Adam...for making my life so much worth living. For making each second I spend with U2Portugal be so damn satisfiing. Each smile in a fan's face...each meeting...each party. You guys inspire and deserve this and much more! Watch out...'cuz U2 fans in Portugal are really on fire and ready to rock!! C'MON DOWN!

Last edited:
Oh...thank you for the kind words!
It was a very very nice trip I will never forget..Ireland remains in my heart. And it was amazing to be able to share it with you mates! :)

Oh how wonderful! I'm feeling your chills and envy your experience! Congrats to you, and I hope the feeling never fades away!

Back
Top Bottom