Elvis Presley and America.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love promenade , EPaA and ISK!!!!!!!!!
that album is not a mess...!

p.s i prefer EPand A than any track between discoteque and velvet dress on pop!

pop is unfinished....people should admit it..u2 admit it ...most critsics believe..now you should!

rivergoat said:
Pop lover and Elvis Presley and America lover too!
Yeah, it's difficult to sing along with, it's hard sometimes to hear the words, and I really wish that Bono had 'finished' this song, just because the first go is so intriguing. But to leave this off of the album would have been wrong. It should not have been a B Side - that would have reduced its audience. It needed to be heard by everyone who got the album, whether they like it or not. It shows us a side of Bono that we weren't going to see otherwise, and I am just damn glad they kept it.

goat

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do something like this these days... And that bothers me!
Btw, the unreleased instrumental track from the UF era is IMO better than 4tf of July (in fact, it's great!:drool: )

:wave:

Love the song! If you listen close enough you can make out most of the lyrics. It is very moving.

For me EP&A and Promenade come from the same colour palet and are two of the most expressive and emotional of their entire career. Having said that, they are definately 'one on one' songs rather than songs to be played in a group / party session :)

yes, on eof my favorites too. It is painfully beautiful....i love how his emotion just flows thru the song. it doesnt need to be conjured up or forced....it just flows thru the entire song. such a beautiful underrated masterpeice!

I can't stand EP&A but i admire them greatly for trying something a lot different to anything they had done before the UF.

have to agree with a lot of other ppl on here, promenade is a beautiful song.

I absolutely love EP&A. There are so many moving lines in the song that it doesn't matter that I can't put all of them together into a single concept. One time while listening to it, I suddenly felt like words had failed Bono and just started communicating through his spirit. Many people may never connect to the words and utterences in this song, but it's really special and unique to the ones that do. At points, it's almost like he's speaking in tongues or something. That would probably freak me out coming from other artists, but with Bono, I know he is being sincere. I think this song is a jewel in U2's catalog, and am SO glad that they didn't trash it like some suggested.

Pero said:
Elvis Presley and America and Love rescue me are worst than a piece of shit

Sorry that's a little highbrow for me, could you explain again in more layman's terms?

Pero said:
they just suck, it's 11 minutes of pure torture like djerdap once said

I must admit that Love Rescue Me does nothing for me at all. I loved it the week that Rattle & Hum came out and it was downhill after that

Angel of Harlem on the other hand... :)

Palace_Hero said:
Someone please tell me what the boys were thinking ruining one of their best works with this song? I have now listened to U2's entire released catalogue, and have decided this is the worst song I've heard from the band. Not only is it a bad U2 song, it is a bad song, period.

Tell me you all agree? No one enjoys the sound of Bono making noises like he is masturbating with a cheesegrater do they?

one of my fav songs of all time.

I think Elvis Presley and America is a song that fits into the "grower" category. The first time I heard it, I was like WTF is this noise? I thought it was the worst sounding crap I had ever heard. But the funny thing is, it kept growing on me the more I listened to it. Now not only do I like it, it is one of my all time favorites. I could see how others might not like this song but I'd say to give it some time and you'll realize just how brilliant this song really is.

Pero said:
Elvis Presley and America and Love rescue me are worst than a piece of shit

Wow, could you state your opinion any more immaturely?

It's probably my favorite song on UF (which is still my favorite U2 album ever).....I was fasinated by it so much that I would listen over and over trying to figure it out..... I actually did a piece on it for a creative writing class in college. I gave a cassette tape recording of the song to my teacher, along with 2 different interpretations of the lyrics (word for word); it was amazing that in one part the first person thought the word was, "white" and the second person thought the same part said, "black." A very stream-of-consciousness song for sure. I love the FEEL of the song, not necessarily the meaning. I know Bono was caught up in the Elvis myth at the time and this was his mental vomit form all his reading. Plus, it was a one-off that turned out amazing, in my opinion. Just listen to the feeling in Bono's voice and the music. All together it's a beautiful, mysterious, haunting haze.

MikeSt said:
yes, on eof my favorites too. It is painfully beautiful....i love how his emotion just flows thru the song. it doesnt need to be conjured up or forced....it just flows thru the entire song. such a beautiful underrated masterpeice!

This is really such a profound song that if you really listen and absorbe the lyrics and music you will feel, almost, that you had to "be there" in the room, with the rest of the band and the producers-managers etc, when it was happening. :yes:
Otherwise it wouldn't be on the album, do you think?:heart:

They fully understood that Bono was having a sort of "out of body experience" that only he and the one's around him saw - and they knew what it was. It was special...
No problem. I get it.. love it...and it's just my perspective anyway. :heart:

The Unforgettable Fire is all about mood. "Elvis Presley and America" completely fits into that mold. I don't see how you can get the album but not get this song.

EP&A is in my top 5 all time for a zillion different reasons - most of which were captured in this thread.....moving, haunting, emotional, means different things on different days.....it's meant to drag out your emotions and make you confront them, as someone stated earlier (Jim perhaps), it's probably meant to be listened to by yourself and not at a party. Blast EP&A in a walkman late at night and drift away into the beauty that is EP&A.

This right here breaks my heart everytime I hear it:

You know
And though no one told you sky
And you feel
Like you pretend you can
You say go, you live
Go live outside of me
Don't you leave
Don't leave out part of me
Then I can feel
Like I feel before
Like I hurt now
And I see the floor
If you pick me up
Bits and pieces on this floor

:sad:

In some ways The Unforgettable Fire was U2's "Pop" of the 80s. The experimentation is all there. The "freshness" is all there. This song, Elvis... , is a beautiful piece of music that was captured in one take. I believe you see the band very exposed. Its as if you are hearing their heatbeat. Excuse me, I'm feeling like a woman right now. ;) It sounds like some sort of soundcheck experiment and yet it sounds quite perfect in its chaotic melancholy.

From my second favorite U2 album. A true definition of an underrated song.

I love TUF and agree with some comments that perhaps another song or two should've been added to the album (Love Comes Tumbling :drool: ) I must admit that the second side of this album is a little weak but it's not boring to say the least. As far as EPAA goes I don't think it's a "piece of shit" so to speak. It's not the best song and I do find that it drags on a bit but all in all it's not the worst song they've ever done. If anything I find Indian Summer Sky to be a bit "shitty" :wink:

i can't see any weak track on TUF. the album is still amazing after 20 years. well done and a classic

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom