Drugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would not matter at all to me I would love them all just the same!!!:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: It would explain alot of things though:eyebrow: I would have to add drugs into my fantasies:drool:hehehe :drunk:

corianderstem said:
I thought he said in "Bono In Conversation" (or somewhere else) that he would neither confirm nor deny any drug use. Am I misremembering?

Thats my recollection also. Not just from that book but other articles.

Carmelu2fan said:
It would not matter at all to me I would love them all just the same!!!:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: It would explain alot of things though:eyebrow: I would have to add drugs into my fantasies:drool:hehehe :drunk:

:lol:

There's a big difference between a little recreational use in your youth and being a hard core user.

I am sure there is a BIG differance, I am also sure that they have never been hard core users:eyebrow: I was just saying I would still love them :reject: :shrug:

Bono doesn't deny nor confirm drug use. The fact that it will give customs even more reason to look up his bum is what he's said in past interviews.
Nobody will ever know...

telebravo said:

:eyebrow: when did he say he didn't like them? All he said was that "they we're a fastfood high" in fact if he really said "I think it's a pretty interesting path" that sounds kinda positive eh?

and what does your God secret crap mean?

:huh:

I meant good. I'm a terrible typer.

I read a lot and I cannot remember is exact words, but he did say something like that sometime. I got the feeling that he did try something but he never really confirmed it.
If that is all he wants to say, that’s all I need to know.

This type of thread really doesn't do anything but get everyone upset about things we can only speculate about.

From Bono on Bono
It's funny that you should mention that. It's actually one of the questions I wanted to ask at some point. I don't know much about rock stars, aside from you. What do rock stars usually do? They buy cars, they indulge in drugs. And while we're at it, what are you willing to reveal about drugs? Paul McCartney recently came clean about cocaine and heroin. What about you? Maybe we'll have to wait until you're sixty to find out.

If I had so much as a spliff, I would not talk about it, because it's too easy a headline. "Bono Denies Smoking Joint," "Bono Admits Smoking Joint." It's an invitaion to a debate that I'm not interested in.

There you go.
(I have too much spare time :wink: )

u2granny said:
This type of thread really doesn't do anything but get everyone upset about things we can only speculate about.

It informs people more about what U2 have done in the past.

Are you upset? I dont think anybody else is upset at the fact that there is speculation of U2 being a bit rebellious and being drug users.

If you dont like the thread then dont post in it, nobody asked you to, I asked people who have the guts to accept that U2 were involved in such things to post there facts, views and opinions on this issue.

Personally I just think you want to moan because you dont like the reality and truth about what people get up to. :shrug:

So, maybe you should think before posting in a thread you dont like.

I would suggest going out and buying u2 at the end of the world by Bill Flanagan.

the edge story with the mushrooms is very entertaining but in terms of speculating if the band has done any illegal drugs I'm just not that interested in it :shrug:

off to find another nipple thread.....:wink:

biff said:
While on the subject of 'shrooms, here's an excerpt from an interview Hot Press did with the musician Tricky, in September 2001:

"Are there any celebrity musicians you do get along with?"

"Actually, I get on with Bono real well. He’s one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. He’s nothing like what I first expected. For one of the biggest rock stars in the world, he’s so not a celebrity. He’s almost like a comedian celebrity. I’ve never seen anyone like him. I took mushrooms with him in Jamaica and I was just rolling on the floor, man. There aren’t many people I’d just listen to telling stories, but when I’m with him, I can sit down and listen to him for two or three hours and just not say anything. You know, he can do impressions of people and shit. He cracks me up. I just like Bono’s personality, full stop. What I like about him is that he doesn’t hate anything. Like me, I hate everything. His attitude is to be cool with everybody. I sometimes wish I could be more like that."

That's a great story. I shroomed for the first time last year (and I'm 30) and boy does it bring back some fun memories.

I did ecstasy for a while too and I can see someone like Bono playing around with it, but in the end, he probably doesn't need it to be the positive person he already is. E brings out a temporary and artificial positvity in people, and it sounds like Bono's already got that naturally. You never hear of him having beefs with anyone.

u2granny said:

No, I'm not the one who is upset. Read the thread.

I did, maybe you should read things properly and think about what you write. Although people may not like the reality they should face up to it. I started the thread because I wanted to know a bit more about my favourite band. And, i wanted to get the info from the people that know the best, you lot!

Like I said if you dont like the thread dont pst it, there are plenty of other threads to post in.

bono_gal said:

I did, maybe you should read things properly and think about what you write. Although people may not like the reality they should face up to it. I started the thread because I wanted to know a bit more about my favourite band. And, i wanted to get the info from the people that know the best, you lot!

Like I said if you dont like the thread dont pst it, there are plenty of other threads to post in.

bono_gal, as you are new here, may I suggest you haven't got a feel for the different personalities on this board, U2Granny in particular.

I also suggest you reread this thread.

beli said:

bono_gal, as you are new here, may I suggest you haven't got a feel for the different personalities on this board, U2Granny in particular.

I also suggest you reread this thread.

Well, I have been here for a few months now and i have got a feel for the majority of the people on this board, the PLEBAns in particular. But, I have always thought U2Granny a bit of a difficult character to deal with, and also very hard to please. Sorry, thats my view and I'm sure I'm entitled to it.

But, I will take the opportunity to praise U2Granny aswell as critisise her....she does put a lot into this site and I respect her for it. Also, she has the most amazing picture collection I have seen. But, since I started posting here, U2Granny didnt seem to make it very easy to fit in, on a number of occasions she critisised me, so that is why I will tend to object to what she says.

Sorry Mods, I know you probably wont like this post, just think it should be said.

Maybe U2Granny will get used to me, hope so! :hug:

Ladera Heights said:

That's a great story. I shroomed for the first time last year (and I'm 30) and boy does it bring back some fun memories.

I did ecstasy for a while too and I can see someone like Bono playing around with it, but in the end, he probably doesn't need it to be the positive person he already is. E brings out a temporary and artificial positvity in people, and it sounds like Bono's already got that naturally. You never hear of him having beefs with anyone.

Bono is my ECSTASY:drool: when I think of him I feel SO HIGH and when I think of Adam I feel even HIGHER!!!!:drool: :drool:

u2granny said:
In the big scheme of things, who cares? He probably did. I did. Most of the people I know did in college.

Maybe he didn't inhale.:lol:
Amen to that sister--we all did a time or two back then.

Did....I still enjoy a fat J every now and then!!!! When I light it up I go "To Adam"!!!hehehe:drunk:

I would be really surprised if U2 are/were hard core drug users. They would look alot older than they do and would probably have a pronounced Ozzy-esque slur.

Also, I would be very disappointed if I found out that they use drugs regularly now. I would hope that since they have families and are at a mature age they would be more responsible than that and would take into consideration the health risks.

It doesn't bother me as much to know that they've tried drugs in the past, because that's understandable and more forgiveable, in my opinion. Everyone gives in to temptations, but it's up to them to overcome and not let things like drugs get the best of them and take control, which doesn't seem like the case with U2.

Last edited:
...we can't know for sure, unless we are close personal friends and ifyou're a close personal friend of any member of U2, what the hell are you doing posting here...

All I can say is, if Bono gets 23 injections each day just to go from prone to sitting up because of his back pain, he must be doing some kind of heavy duty painkillers at other times. I worry that he might become dependent on these kind of legal drugs...but this is only IMO...I don't know Bono or any of the other members of U2...

It always amuses me, though, how some fan-type folk go on like they know all kinds of personal things about their idols for a fact! And judge also...

Oh well, it's all in fun, eh?

Everyone's talked about Bono but I'd really like to know about ADAM! He would have a few stories to tell.......:wink:

I dont' believe that 23 injections thing, I reckon someone's done a typo and hit both the 2 and 3 keys together. :no:

blueeyedgirl said:

I dont' believe that 23 injections thing, I reckon someone's done a typo and hit both the 2 and 3 keys together. :no:

That detail came from The Guardian, a highly-reputed UK newspaper, NOT a tabloid. It's highly unlikely they would have gotten something like that wrong. (Poor Bono.)

Okay not to burst anyone's bubble but I specifically remember reading an article about Bono in the eighties right after Joshua Tree, (I think it was in Mother Jones) where Bono said don't worry about my heroine addiction I have enough money to transfer all of my blood. It was one of those things you read and it just sticks with you. It has stuck with me all these years. Could I have misread it possibly but it always bothered me. Anyway whatever the case is, I don't think he does them now.

youtwohearts said:
Okay not to burst anyone's bubble but I specifically remember reading an article about Bono in the eighties right after Joshua Tree, (I think it was in Mother Jones) where Bono said don't worry about my heroine addiction I have enough money to transfer all of my blood. It was one of those things you read and it just sticks with you. It has stuck with me all these years. Could I have misread it possibly but it always bothered me. Anyway whatever the case is, I don't think he does them now.

Here's the relevant exerpt from the interview you are (somewhat mis-) remembering:

Q: Do you like being intoxicated?

(Raises a finger) 'Tis better to be drunk on the spirit; however, a bottle of Jack Daniel's is sometimes handier.

Q: Do you ever find intoxicants, including psychedelics, creatively useful?

I am already on drugs. I am the sort of person who needs to take drugs to make me normal. (laughs) I have experimented. No, I don't think that it is something that everybody has to do, one, just to be alive, or two, to write great songs.

Q: I don't mean "have to." But do you have a positive attitude towards drugs?

I'm not going to tell you that I have a positive attitude towards people who are hurting themselves. Drug abuse is a very negative thing.

Q: Do you believe there is such a thing as drug use as opposed to abuse?

I do believe there could be.

Q: In your own life, have you experienced ...

I don't want to talk about that. I'll give you just one example of why it would be irresponsible for me to answer your question in a certain way: I've written so many songs using heroin as an image, it might be interesting for me to tell you that, say, "I've had experiences with the drug heroin." It might be interesting for me to do it, and to own up to it.

If it were misconstrued, somebody who, for whatever reason, respects me, that might lead them to get into it. OK. If I became addicted to heroin, I can afford the trappings. I can afford the Betty Ford clinic. I can afford to have my blood changed. I can afford the trappings of being an addict. But there is some guy who lives in a room in Dublin who can't. And nobody gives a shit about his addiction!

So it is highly irresponsible for rock 'n' roll people to perpetuate the myth of drug addiction. One of the things that I get a good feeling that U2 has done is to break open the mythology of rock 'n' roll. The mythology that wearing a safety pin in your nose means you're a rebel. Shaving your head does not mean you're a rebel.

Q: You're saying those trappings have nothing to do with the true rebellious soul of rock and roll....

Yeah, the rebellious soul. The mythology of "live fast, die young" perpetrated by rich rock 'n' roll stars sickens me. I just want to throw up on these bastards! That's because in our city, Dublin City, I've seen the place truly ravaged by drug addiction. People seriously fucked up, and people inspired by this idea of "living close to the edge."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see he's posing an "if" situation there: "If I became addicted". The rest of his words are clear enough.

i'm sure someone has that article. i have read it and yes, i do believe you misread it.
he was making the point that if he were to ever get addicted to drugs (such as heroin), he had the resources to go to rehab or get medical treatment, but his audience might not. therefore he was saying whether he did do drugs or not, he would not discuss it because it would be irresponsible. he did not deny using drugs in that interview, but he did NOT say he did heroin.

he has since come out, i think in NME this year, and stated that he NEVER did heroin and never would because he had heard that once you do it once, you are hooked.

as for other drugs, we know he is not a choirboy, but i think speculating beyond his own words (which themselves are often misconstrued) is not worthwhile.

Back
Top Bottom