Don't believe the hype? - NLOTH General Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could live without Pride on the next tour too, but it'll never happen. This song will be played at every NA stop just due to the new President.

replace with Wire, I would be OK with that

I respectfully disagree about Pride at the innaguration; I thought he was terrible, just like every version of that song has been since 1992. Again, I guess it's personal taste.
But at least we agree that they should retire it!

recent tours the song has sounded too loose IMHO.

I will be happy to discuss my problems with GOYB.

1. Production: maybe it's the mp3, but the sound it squashed. Perhaps there will be a much better mix on the actual CD. Apart from the sonic qualities, there was so much they could've done arrangement wise, instead of just beating that damn riff to death, but they chose not to. Mistake imo.

2. The riff: I played it for friends without telling them who it was and they said "Is this the new Velvet Revolver?"
The riff is silly; a 12 year old could've come up with it. And the sound he's using for it sucks.

3. The drums. What's with the wimpy drum sound? Apart from the middle break where he steals a John Bonham groove, there's no power to the drums at all.

4. Vocals: please, don't even get me started. And Bono STILL continues to smoke. Good job man.

The overall vibe is that of Vertigo part 2. Even though it's two different songs, the vibe, the balls to the wall attitude, all reminicent of vertigo. Where's the change? Innovation?

These are my opinions, you all will disagree with them I'm sure. I'm not a u2 hater, but I hold them to a high standard.
I am hopeful that NLOTH is going to have a bunch of winners on it, and that this single was just a throwaway.

p.s. The Fly= Epic.
GOYB= bleh.

What song are you listening to? And a velvet revolver riff,whats wrong with sounding like slash?

So I emailed my source since the release of the new single to ask him why did U2 decide to release a song that is #6 on the album? And why is "Boots" # 6 on the album versus being #1? This is what he had to say.;

The reason he thinks (based on what he's heard) they may have released Boots versus any other song (beside the fact that its a poppy, rocker) is because it is the #6 song on the album. He said the band wants this to be an album that people listen from start to finish much like the way you go to a theatrical play.

Soo... like all good albums were up until about 10 years ago.

wtf, why are people making such a big deal about Bono's vocals....all you have to do is listen to beach clip #4 (magnificent) and you will hear that Bono's voice will be as epic as ever. I doubt Lanois would tell us in basically every album update interview that Bono is "singing like a bird" if there wasn't something truly magical about his vocals on this record. Surely, this "singing like a bird" talk did not spawn out of listening to GOYB.....GOYB is just a ballsy move by U2 to shock the public and stir some curiosity. Don't worry about it too much. I'd rather here Bono changing things up a bit throughout the record too. It would make things more interesting anyway if he had this very clean, soothing voice on GOYB and then switched up on other tracks. :shrug:

wtf, why are people making such a big deal about Bono's vocals....all you have to do is listen to beach clip #4 (magnificent) and you will hear that Bono's voice will be as epic as ever. I doubt Lanois would tell us in basically every album update interview that Bono is "singing like a bird" if there wasn't something truly magical about his vocals on this record. Surely, this "singing like a bird" talk did not spawn out of listening to GOYB.....GOYB is just a ballsy move by U2 to shock the public and stir some curiosity. Don't worry about it too much. I'd rather here Bono changing things up a bit throughout the record too. It would make things more interesting anyway if he had this very clean, soothing voice on GOYB and then switched up on other tracks. :shrug:

Yeah I brought this up a couple pages back:

Bono's voice: I think this is getting into very subjective territory. There's nothing brilliant here, but I think it suits the song very well. His bursts in the chorus are great: "You don't know, you don't get it do you?" I think we're going to see a LOT of vocal range from Bono on this album (based on nearly everyone's comments--his vocals haven't actually been hyped like this since...well, maybe ever) and this song is only a small part of that total range. It's a very smooth delivery, which again, isn't something that he usually does. The emotional voice cracks from Walk On don't work for everything, nor does the deep seductive delivery of Until the End of the World.

I thought he sounded great on their X-mas cover "i believe in father christmas". He hit the high notes decently well.

But yes, he didn't sound great at the Inauguration celebration but I think it was due to the weather AND the partying. He can't blame the weather totally because Garth and Bruce sounded great...though they weren't singing a song as high as Pride.

I thought he sounded great on their X-mas cover "i believe in father christmas". He hit the high notes decently well.

But yes, he didn't sound great at the Inauguration celebration but I think it was due to the weather AND the partying. He can't blame the weather totally because Garth and Bruce sounded great...though they weren't singing a song as high as Pride.

Bruce sounded AWFUL.

Bono didn't sound great at the innaguration, but at the rehearsal, its the best I have heard him sing either song.

Also, Van Dieman's Land at the O2 was very strong considering they had been recording solidly prior to it

i don't remember where this was posted, but someone said there will be a review of NLOTH in Mojo Magazine soon...

where did they get this info? I am extremely curious as to what the print media thinks of the album. The Mojo review could be a good barometer of what the critical consensus will be. I am only a bit familiar with the magazine, but it seems like they favor the rock traditionalists.

i don't remember where this was posted, but someone said there will be a review of NLOTH in Mojo Magazine soon...

where did they get this info? I am extremely curious as to what the print media thinks of the album. The Mojo review could be a good barometer of what the critical consensus will be. I am only a bit familiar with the magazine, but it seems like they favor the rock traditionalists.

NEWS DIGEST: Friday, January 16 - News - Mojo

Produced by usual suspects Daniel Lanois, Brian Eno and Steve Lillywhite, NLOTH is the band's 12th studio album. Be sure to check back here next week for MOJO's exclusive first listen report.

I respectfully disagree about Pride at the innaguration; I thought he was terrible, just like every version of that song has been since 1992. Again, I guess it's personal taste.

Pride has always been crap and weak live. Once you hear the studio version no other version will do. I agree the song should be stopped playing live but that won't happen. I always skip the song when listening to any U2 concert as it sounds so bland and weak live. Edges guitar is never right. Compare it to the studio version where there is so much power. Its always been like that.

Yeah....I think his voice sounded tired and strained. It could have been the flight overseas from Ireland (if they did indeed come over on a flight just before the event...not sure if they were in the country before that)

Also agree.

People were making a huge deal on this board about his vocals after Beautiful Day came out. They were saying that he wasn't able to hold the chorus notes very well.

Its pretty obvious that his voice is better than ever. Anyone that thinks otherwise should pick up a couple of good bootlegs from the last tour. He was certainly hitting notes that he hadn't hit in years.

I think its pretty naive to think that the vocals in GOYB are anyway indicative of whats on the album. Its not even really a song that show cases his voice at all. Its a song that would be cake during a Karaoke night. Anyone could sing it. But that's okay, because not all songs have to be some vocal orgasm. He's not Beyonce or Christina Aguliera (or however you spell it)

Its not even really a song that show cases his voice at all. Its a song that would be cake during a Karaoke night.

He's not Beyonce or Christina Aguliera (or however you spell it)

wtf, you can't be serious.
Even Bob Dylan, once upon a time, said to Bono: It's great music but no one else will be able to sing it. or something like that.

And weather has a tremendos effect on the vocal chords, especially sub-freezing temps.
Don't know where you live, but go out if it's cold and try to sing, for 3 or 4 minutes.

wtf, you can't be serious.
Even Bob Dylan, once upon a time, said to Bono: It's great music but no one else will be able to sing it. or something like that.

And weather has a tremendos effect on the vocal chords, especially sub-freezing temps.
Don't know where you live, but go out if it's cold and try to sing, for 3 or 4 minutes.

No doubt the weather played a role last Sunday,
but weather was not a factor for the last 10 years.
Re: Dylan quote: that was back in 1988, when Bono was at the top of his game, a game I think he was untouched at at the time.

I thought Dylan was referring to the fact that U2 songs rely so heavily on effects and studio trickery. Mayhaps I'm mistaken.

I thought it was The Edge who had this conversation with Dylan, something about how people wouldn't know how to play U2 songs

Yeah, I actually didn't like the way his voice sounded--I was just referring to his ability to sing and hold high notes, which he seems to be getting better and better at and apparently likes to "show it off". But something sounds a little off about it--too clean or something. I only watched it once though, so I may be misremembering.

Noticed that too, it's sounds like he is singing through a silk pillow (if this makes any sense at all) I really believe that this has to do wth this incredbly annoying vocalpitcher which they started to use around the bomb aera. his voice sounds fake like it goes through a filter but unlike something like the fly or zoostation stuff. More a cleaningfilter. Damn, this IS difficult to explain :wink:

PRIDE is an awfully difficult song to sing and the problem is that every version will always be compared to the amazing original album recording. After all these years, Bono can never be able to match that. He is a good singer, but Pride is beyond his vocal abilities most of the time. Listen to the version John Legend did of that song, it's totally different. Personally I'd love for U2 to try such a version (accoustic?), slowing it down. I know fans will bitch and rant, but I guess it would be worth a try, like they did with SBS during Pop Mart. I would love to hear a totally different take on that song instead of seeing Bono struggle with it for the next ten years.

Back to GOYB.

I'm falling in love with the song again, this album is going to be great.

I initially didn't like GOYB from the beach clips, preferring the other tracks but it grew on me, so by the time I got to hear the mp3 in perfect quality I was loving it.

Then I think I overplayed it, silly thing to do as it's probably better to play it in the context of the whole album, but I'll have to wait for that.

Anyway, gave the tune a break then played it again last night and am totally loving it, really good production, catchy, upbeat, great drum and bass and I love the guitar behind the "let me in the sound" bit and contrary to what a lot of other people are saying, I love all the lyrics.

This song is going to fit in nicely on the album after what we believe are going to be a few pretty epic numbers. In that way I think GOYB forms a kind of antidote to the first half of the album and heralds in the beginning of the album's second half.

I've got a great feeling about this album, I really have:hyper:

PRIDE is an awfully difficult song to sing and the problem is that every version will always be compared to the amazing original album recording. After all these years, Bono can never be able to match that. He is a good singer, but Pride is beyond his vocal abilities most of the time. Listen to the version John Legend did of that song, it's totally different. Personally I'd love for U2 to try such a version (accoustic?), slowing it down. I know fans will bitch and rant, but I guess it would be worth a try, like they did with SBS during Pop Mart. I would love to hear a totally different take on that song instead of seeing Bono struggle with it for the next ten years.

I really don't understand all this "beyond his vocal abilities" crap....Maybe 1 or 2 or 3 times since the song was released has Bono ever nailed it live like the album version...and even then, not really, if we're really comparing it to the album version. There are some GREAT fifth leg vertigo performances where he sings it correctly and passionately. Sure, it's not as great as the album version, but when has it ever been? Even if he has really nailed it live before, it's just silly to say "After all these years, Bono can never be able to match that." He's never really been able to match it consistently to a point where we can point to a period of time and say "wow, Bono really had it back then". And I find it funny how people try to say that after ZooTV, its been going downhill. That's just bullshit. First of all, Bono sings Pride with a much fuller, powerful voice than his ZooTV voice...He holds the chorus longer too, and actually sings it properly! And you can clearly hear how beautifully he sings it at the Inaguration celebration rehearsal...he does a pretty good job considering how cold it was and just simply the environment they were performing in. Even so, listen to the chorus! It's really not that weak at all. Anyway, if you listen, for example to this 12-4-2006 performance (excuse the insanely shitty quality of this sound/video, but it'll suffice):

YouTube - U2 Vertigo Japan Pride in the name of love 04 dezembro 2006

now compare that to this:

YouTube - U2 Pride (In The Name Of Love) Live From ZooTV Sydney

It just doesn't compare...There is so much more power behind the first one....ZooTV sounds thin, it's so obvious. :shrug:

My point is that if we look at the more recent performances of this song, such as 12-4-2006 (the second to last show of the most recent tour), he is singing Pride better than he has in over 20 years....I mean that's what makes comments like you'd rather not hear "Bono struggle with it for the next ten years" seem a little uncalled for. Sorry, but I guess I'm one of the few who wouldn't mind hearing this song at all on the next tour. As long as they don't make it an every night thing, bring it on. :rockon:

Rob, it's ok that you consider my opinion crap and bullshit, but after all this time I think you should know that I am absolutely convinced that Bono's voice NOW is the best it has been in a very long time and I adore the voice he had during the last Vertigo leg.

Still I say Pride is too difficult for him to sing. Sometimes he's able to nail it, under whatever circumstances, good for him I say. But most of the times it's just too difficult for him, and people should let go of the constant whining about how great the original studio version is. Yes, it is awsome, but it is very difficult for Bono to match it in any live performance, we should just come to accept is.

And yes I do think he has a very good voice, I'm not saying his voice is bad.
COBL from the Obama inauguration was great.

Rob, it's ok that you consider my opinion crap and bullshit, but after all this time I think you should know that I am absolutely convinced that Bono's voice NOW is the best it has been in a very long time and I adore the voice he had during the last Vertigo leg.

Still I say Pride is too difficult for him to sing. Sometimes he's able to nail it, under whatever circumstances, good for him I say. But most of the times it's just too difficult for him, and people should let go of the constant whining about how great the original studio version is. Yes, it is awsome, but it is very difficult for Bono to match it in any live performance, we should just come to accept is.

And yes I do think he has a very good voice, I'm not saying his voice is bad.
COBL from the Obama inauguration was great.

fair enough, and just for the record, I don't consider your opinion "crap and bullshit" ;)

I really don't understand all this "beyond his vocal abilities" crap....Maybe 1 or 2 or 3 times since the song was released has Bono ever nailed it live like the album version...and even then, not really, if we're really comparing it to the album version. There are some GREAT fifth leg vertigo performances where he sings it correctly and passionately. Sure, it's not as great as the album version, but when has it ever been? Even if he has really nailed it live before, it's just silly to say "After all these years, Bono can never be able to match that." He's never really been able to match it consistently to a point where we can point to a period of time and say "wow, Bono really had it back then". And I find it funny how people try to say that after ZooTV, its been going downhill. That's just bullshit. First of all, Bono sings Pride with a much fuller, powerful voice than his ZooTV voice...He holds the chorus longer too, and actually sings it properly! And you can clearly hear how beautifully he sings it at the Inaguration celebration rehearsal...he does a pretty good job considering how cold it was and just simply the environment they were performing in. Even so, listen to the chorus! It's really not that weak at all. Anyway, if you listen, for example to this 12-4-2006 performance (excuse the insanely shitty quality of this sound/video, but it'll suffice):

YouTube - U2 Vertigo Japan Pride in the name of love 04 dezembro 2006

now compare that to this:

YouTube - U2 Pride (In The Name Of Love) Live From ZooTV Sydney

It just doesn't compare...There is so much more power behind the first one....ZooTV sounds thin, it's so obvious. :shrug:

My point is that if we look at the more recent performances of this song, such as 12-4-2006 (the second to last show of the most recent tour), he is singing Pride better than he has in over 20 years....I mean that's what makes comments like you'd rather not hear "Bono struggle with it for the next ten years" seem a little uncalled for. Sorry, but I guess I'm one of the few who wouldn't mind hearing this song at all on the next tour. As long as they don't make it an every night thing, bring it on. :rockon:

I had to double check for myself that your avatar wasn't a sign with a duck silhouette.

Back to GOYB.

I'm falling in love with the song again, this album is going to be great.

I initially didn't like GOYB from the beach clips, preferring the other tracks but it grew on me, so by the time I got to hear the mp3 in perfect quality I was loving it.

Then I think I overplayed it, silly thing to do as it's probably better to play it in the context of the whole album, but I'll have to wait for that.

Anyway, gave the tune a break then played it again last night and am totally loving it, really good production, catchy, upbeat, great drum and bass and I love the guitar behind the "let me in the sound" bit and contrary to what a lot of other people are saying, I love all the lyrics.

This song is going to fit in nicely on the album after what we believe are going to be a few pretty epic numbers. In that way I think GOYB forms a kind of antidote to the first half of the album and heralds in the beginning of the album's second half.

I've got a great feeling about this album, I really have:hyper:

It's great that you think that. I would have to agree also.

The News Digest on MOJO.com for Friday should have been up by 5:30am EST if the rest of the week is any indication of a posting time.

I wonder if it is late because of the review?!!

The News Digest on MOJO.com for Friday should have been up by 5:30am EST if the rest of the week is any indication of a posting time.

I wonder if it is late because of the review?!!

Please let that come out this morning. Please please please.

Back
Top Bottom