Do you think Bono ever performs while intoxicated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AtomicBono said:
However, his speeches are always rambling...that's not about being drunk, that's just Bono being Bono... like some of his speeches before Stay during Elevation were hilarious... something like "hey if you put a p before arty you get party, isn't that nice" :lmao:
:lmao: :lol: :laugh:

U2FanPeter said:
What next? What exactly is he smoking at the start of the ZOOTV show intro?

u2fp

:hmm:

Will any of us ever know for sure? It's not like we get to spend time with the man to monitor his drinking and smoking habits....of course I'd volunteer for that position... :drunk:

Well, I'm sure some will argue but I'm rather positive that Bono was smashed last night...saw it up close for myself.

Whether it was from drinking, painkillers, non-stop partying with film fest chums or a combination of all three who knows...but he was most certainly wasted lol.

He couldn't even see his setlist LMAO

AliEnvy said:
Well, I'm sure some will argue but I'm rather positive that Bono was smashed last night...saw it up close for myself.

Whether it was from drinking, painkillers, non-stop partying with film fest chums or a combination of all three who knows...but he was most certainly wasted lol.

He couldn't even see his setlist LMAO

Huh? I less than was ten feet away from him and didn't seeing a single thing to suggest he was hammered. I'm really mystified by your remarks.:confused:

biff said:

Huh? I less than was ten feet away from him and didn't seeing a single thing to suggest he was hammered. I'm really mystified by your remarks.:confused:

Me too. I was close enough to touch him numerous times and he did not seem intoxicated by anything at all.

^would you mind uploading that mp3 for me? I thought I had a copy but I can't find it. doesn't he say something like "we're lucky to have such great fans blahblah, lucky to have a great opening band, and lucky to be here at all considering the amount of drinking that went on at our end of tour party last night in atlanta georgia!" :lol:

Didnt Bono talk about this in Bono in Bono by Michka Assayas,

Said that unlike other bands they don't ever go out and perform while drunk - they save that till later.

May have been saying it tongue in cheek I suppose, but it didnt come over that way.

Howie B had a marijuana violation during the 3rd leg of the Popmart tour. I think it was around the Montreal/detroit shows at the start of that leg.

u2fp

Jamila said:
I don't know if this another attempt at humor or if the question is seriously asked, but the answer is unequivocably: NO !!

The reason why Bono has ALWAYS had a problem forgetting lyrics or appearing disjointed in thought on stage probably has a whole lot to do with his sense of "stage fright" which has been well documented by others and expressed by Bono himself. (most recently in some of his interviews at the time of Live8)

When you are projecting a professional image on stage but are inwardly constantly not sure if you are being effective in getting your message and music across, you get extremely nervous and begin to forget lyrics, song progressions, etc. which can lead you to REALLY begin doubting yourself .... which can only make matters worse.

This isn't speculation - as I said, Bono himself has alluded to the fact that he is extremely nervous, sometimes sick to his stomach and full of concern before he goes onstage. This has apparently gotten better on this tour, but it is still there.

And habits don't change easy.

I really feel for Bono when I see him struggling with this on stage.

After all is said and done, he is simply a human being with all the self doubts and "phobias" as the rest of us.

And it is his complete humanness and fallibility that makes most of us love him.

BLESSINGS NOT JUST FOR THOSE WHO KNEEL....LUCKILY.:angel:

I was at a Bar in Hartford, CT before a Joshue Tree concert at the Hartford Civic Center, we stopped off about three hours before the show to celebrate seeing U2 the greatest rock band in the world. Lo and behold when we got into the bar which at the time was called Brown Thompson's (right acrss the street from the venue) we saw a HUGE commotion in the back of the bar. Body gaurds stood shoulder to shoulder in front of a roped off area and there was Bono, Adam, Edge, Ali and whole bunch of people at this one table and ALL were drinking. We were told that it was someone's Birthday in the bunch that was there. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. When U2 hit the stage probably 4 hours after seeing them in the Bar Bono was definitely drunk on stage. He was slurring his words, forgot some Lyrics but the one thing that happened which was indicative of his condition was that more than a few times he took his Mic off of it's stand walked away from it and then almost walked right back into it. After a while Adam was watching his every move and kept moving the stand so that Bono didn't trip over it. Each time Adam looked aver at Edge and they were both kinda laughing about it. They played Party Girl in their encore and had some lady on stage.

I can truly attest personally that at least Bono was drunk for that show.

biff said:

His eyes gave it away during Sometimes when he took his glasses off...

Jamila said:
oceane said:

"To be clear, Bono did not seem drunk at all on Wednesday, rather more like not completely confident."

Those eye-witness words confirm what I said (and what Bono himself has said many times about himself) - he can get bouts of "stage fright" even now that can make him appear disjointed (maybe "drunk" for lack of a better word) when all he is is nervous.

What is so hard about the fact that Bono is a human being and can get "stage fright" that makes this idea difficult for people to accept?

:ohmy:

I'll accept Bono anyday just the way he is - insecurities and all.:wink:

What is so hard about the fact tbat Bono is a human being and can get drunk that makes this idea so difficult for you to accept? Why does the insinuation that he could have been, has been, will be drunk on stage at one point in the past, present or future, so difficult to understand?

and let's make out the difference, for an irishman, between "drunk" and "drinking."

drinking is part of the irish culture... stereotype or not, it's truth. i have plenty of relatives and friends who could more than back this up. it's not just the irish... the french, the russians, the germans... alcohol is also a large part of their cultures, as well.

for anyone who likes the drink, there is a large difference between drinking and being drunk that many do not comprehend. one could have been drinking for hours and not consider themselves to be drunk unless they're stumbling around and puking. has bono ever been this piss ass drunk on stage? highly doubtful... except for perhaps the one time he spoke about with his father. however, even someone with a high tolerance for alcohol will get a buzz off just a couple of drinks... so has bono gone on stage buzzed? of course.

and as for the insinuation that someone put forth that bono would never go on stage buzzed/drunk/etc. because he takes his job seriously and he wouldn't want to screw over the fans, etc. etc. etc...

does eddie vedder not take his job seriously? he openly brings a bottle of wine on stage with him! bruce springsteen? been documented that he's been smashed... billy joel? i've personaly wittnessed him getting piss ass drunk on stage and doing back flips off the piano. do these people not take their job serious? do they not care about their fans?

people please try and remember... as saintly as bono may come off as... this is still rock and fucking roll.

My friend got an autograph off Bono 40-50 mins before he went onstage at Leeds PopMart, and as was noted by others around us, the man stunk of alcohol and cigar smoke. To be honest, he was off his head. But if this means he performs like he did that night, then he should do it more often. (This is the gig he gave George Harrison the two-finger insult, and ended the show by playfully saying 'Good night. Fuck off!!'

Drunk, high, wasted, who fucking cares??

The only thing that I would say is likely guaranteed fact is that he hasn't changed his pre-show 'substance' intake very much at all over the past, oh, 20+ years we've been enjoying ONSTAGE BONO. Whatever he does/does not do, to get through a show or enjoy life, is entirely his business!

This thread is hilarious

Bono just has a corny sense of humour and he forgets lyrics sometimes (I think during the HTDAAB Promo Tour he screwed up the Lyrics to ABOY during most of the performances).. during our show (Friday) he kinda messed up the beautiful day bridge.. but he definately was not drunk.. no one could put that much energy into a performance and be drunk... I think some people underestimate what it takes to sing good (especially when you have worn out vocal chords)... I've heard the boots of Wednesday and I'm pretty sure he wasn't drunk there either, he was singing beautifully, and he told a great but serious story about the edge...

Last edited:
by the way.. you know what I think is a better question? Are so many people always smoking weed at a U2 concert? And do you think the band can smell the weed in the air every night they perform? Everyone I know who went to the concerts, all on different days mentioned that people were smoking weed, both in the seats and in the GA section.... what do you think the band thinks of that?... personally I have to assume most of those people are not U2 fans and are just there to have a party, because IMO i'm there first and foremost to have a good time listening to the music.

There were people behind me in the GA queue at Manchester smoking weed, and after all day standing there near them, my friend and I were certainly feelings the effects of it. I wasn't best pleased!

I heard a first-hand fan report about Woody Harrelson and Salman Rushdie sharing a joint inside the heart at the 2001 Portland show.

I am serious.

u2fp

Last edited:
Uh-oh ... this isn't going to end up like the last discussion we had about pot at U2 shows, is it?

:wink:

This is the LAMEST thread ever!!! Let it die.

*pours third rum and coke*

*lights up cigar*

*gets all wrinkly in the bath tub and passes out*

Such a funny, funny thread. How dare U2 get drunk!!! Or high!!!!

I do think Bono's the only one, due to the choreography and complicated timing required in U2 shows, that can 'afford' to get wasted before a show without risking really stuffing something up. By that I mean, not pissed, not drunk, but absolutely bombed. I doubt 'the band' could get away with it, but Bono could. Whether he does or not, who knows, but it's naive to think that Bono can spend 6 hours before a show and 8 hours after a show drinking, and miraculously be stone cold sober for the 2 hours of the show in the middle.

I know he spent the afternoon of the Sydney Popmart show drinking in the sun. He then hit a couple of Sydney bars and clubs till dawn after the show. The next day (a day off) he spent all afternoon drinking at another restaurant, then watched the Mardi Gras parade from the footpath, guzzling pink beers with Larry and Helena Christensen and any fan who stopped by, then went to an after party which a friend of mine part organised. The guy was reported to have shown up absolutely, completely, totally gone - and most peoples guess was that alcohol was only part of it (oooh I so went there, another forbidden topic) - then mysteriously stayed in Sydney for an extra couple of days longer than the band due to 'the flu'. Now, of course, in the middle of what is clearly a bender, Bono and the band performed a completely sober Popmart show - yeah right.

neutral said:

I really wouldn't suggest starting to harass her (or anyone for that matter) in this forum too. If her posts bug you that much, start using your ignore list.

There's an ignore list on this forum!!!

Or is that for Premium members only?

___

YBORCITYOBL:

I was at a Bar in Hartford, CT before a Joshue Tree concert at the Hartford Civic Center, we stopped off about three hours before the show to celebrate seeing U2 the greatest rock band in the world. Lo and behold when we got into the bar which at the time was called Brown Thompson's (right acrss the street from the venue) we saw a HUGE commotion in the back of the bar. Body gaurds stood shoulder to shoulder in front of a roped off area and there was Bono, Adam, Edge, Ali and whole bunch of people at this one table and ALL were drinking. We were told that it was someone's Birthday in the bunch that was there. It was the coolest thing I've ever seen. When U2 hit the stage probably 4 hours after seeing them in the Bar Bono was definitely drunk on stage. He was slurring his words, forgot some Lyrics but the one thing that happened which was indicative of his condition was that more than a few times he took his Mic off of it's stand walked away from it and then almost walked right back into it. After a while Adam was watching his every move and kept moving the stand so that Bono didn't trip over it. Each time Adam looked aver at Edge and they were both kinda laughing about it. They played Party Girl in their encore and had some lady on stage.

I can truly attest personally that at least Bono was drunk for that show.

Really? Adam just sorta looking out for him?

Adam's the only one in U2 known to have given up drinking, so with Bono, it's a possibility.

Earnie Shavers said:
Such a funny, funny thread. How dare U2 get drunk!!! Or high!!!!

I do think Bono's the only one, due to the choreography and complicated timing required in U2 shows, that can 'afford' to get wasted before a show without risking really stuffing something up. By that I mean, not pissed, not drunk, but absolutely bombed. I doubt 'the band' could get away with it, but Bono could. Whether he does or not, who knows, but it's naive to think that Bono can spend 6 hours before a show and 8 hours after a show drinking, and miraculously be stone cold sober for the 2 hours of the show in the middle.

I know he spent the afternoon of the Sydney Popmart show drinking in the sun. He then hit a couple of Sydney bars and clubs till dawn after the show. The next day (a day off) he spent all afternoon drinking at another restaurant, then watched the Mardi Gras parade from the footpath, guzzling pink beers with Larry and Helena Christensen and any fan who stopped by, then went to an after party which a friend of mine part organised. The guy was reported to have shown up absolutely, completely, totally gone - and most peoples guess was that alcohol was only part of it (oooh I so went there, another forbidden topic) - then mysteriously stayed in Sydney for an extra couple of days longer than the band due to 'the flu'. Now, of course, in the middle of what is clearly a bender, Bono and the band performed a completely sober Popmart show - yeah right.

Bugger, I was there. I obviously stood on the wrong bit of footpath for Mardi Gras. :madspit:

(I did see Bono on the Mardi Gras telecast the next night. My friends and I all commented on how "talkative" he was :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom