Disillusioned with the U2 machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Am I the only one who feels like U2 has lost sight of something? I'm not even talking about the music itself here, there have been enough threads about that. I just mean...look at the concert dates that have been released. It's like half as much as there were on the first leg of Elevation(bare in mind I know they could add more, but still). PM still has not given a decipherable/meaningful explanation for the delay in the announcement or the less than full tour schedule. I'm not asking for a detailed essay here, just two lines that spare of us from typical PM BS. Also, Ticketmaster is apparently involved again...now, I didn't use Ticketmaster last time around, but I've heard horror stories about how they fucked it up quite badly. If this is true, why is U2 still using it? Also, the ticket prices themselves are also arguably higher than they've ever been. Whatever happened to the U2 that actually didn't profit during ZooTV just so that their fans could get in without paying an arm and a leg? Finally, the Propoganda thing...I never had a subscription, but I know for a fact that there are a LOT of longtime fans that had subscriptions and that there is a total lack of respect from either U2 or PM towards these fans that kept subscribing to the magazine.

I'm sorry if I come off as whiny, but I'm just a little disillusioned.

Do more shows really matter? Its not like if they added more you'd be able to go to all of them, would you?

Also take into consideration U2's advanced age. Perhaps Bono need more rest for his voice as compared to before.

Cheers,

J

or how about Edges family...c'mon guys, a whole month was dropped, likely to be replaced later, because of their problems! poor guy! :(

They could be like other bands such as REM and barely tour at all and theyve never done that. I think it is great that they are going on tour myself whether it be less dates then we wanted so be it at least they are touring. Anybody with half a brain should understand the circumstances that U2 have with Edge having his family problem, yes 13 cities isnt many but its better then 0 cities.

Yahweh said:
They could be like other bands such as REM and barely tour at all and theyve never done that. I think it is great that they are going on tour myself whether it be less dates then we wanted so be it at least they are touring. Anybody with half a brain should understand the circumstances that U2 have with Edge having his family problem, yes 13 cities isnt many but its better then 0 cities.

Was there ever any official confirmation of Edge's family problem? All I've seen is rumors and an Irish tabloid which U2(or at least Edge) are suing to have his daughter's name removed from it.

And if it has, I can totally understand. That's the least of what I said.

Tell me why the band that knowingly lost profit during ZooTV for the sake of ticket prices, is not pricing them higher and higher? Tell me why those longtime propoganda subscribers are being treated like crap?

Last edited:
I agree woth namkcuR, and the rest of you can defend U2 as moch as you can... I still think they're each day less U2 then they used to be!

I agree woth namkcuR, and the rest of you can defend U2 as moch as you can... I still think they're each day less the U2 then they used to be!

Some users here are selfish...geez.

If you don't get what YOU want then there is nothing but complaints and whining. Some of us here need to figure out that U2 set their own schedule, and don't need to apologize to YOU when it doesn't meet your expectations.

U2 will be in your area, and will play more shows in the Fall. There were some issues with setting this tour up. Routing the tour was very f*cked up and U2 couldn't decide where they wanted to open up either. Somehow, someway they settled on the West Coast. I don't know about the family illness, but my guess is there is a shred of truth to it. That is all I know.

I've never had a problem with Ticketmaster...other than the services fees. So I'm not sure what the big fuss is about them. You're going to pay services fees no matter who or what you use to get tickets.

As for the Propaganda/U2.com presale. It's the same as last tour my friends.

I'm disappointed that there are no Southern dates myself, but I think they had to take those out when they postponed the beginning of the tour. The fact of the matter is that we're spoiled. U2 have been together since 1976, whereas the Beatles' whole *career* was a grand total of eight years, 1962-1970. They can't play everywhere *and* raise families and so forth forever. It's just not possible. I hope the rumor about the family illness and such is not true, but if it is I want Edge to think about his family first and the tour second. I'm guessing Southern dates will be added. They were last time, Atlanta got two shows. There are certainly fans waiting to get the tickets in case they do.

As for the U2 machine... it appears the U2 "machine" has gotten so big that, they (the band) appear more distanced from their fans (i.e the problems fans have been having with tickets, Propaganda issues, Universal's strong-arming of popular U2 websites, etc.) or at the least unaware. Sort of how some bureaucracies work. Maybe this is how its always been and the internet just makes it appear worse. :shrug:

Agreed. This is the biggest band in the world, demanded by millions of fans.

Not Tony Danza doing a publicity signing at Joe's Barbaque and Gas.

Have a feeling the uncertainty of the NHL season really put a wrench in affairs. A lot of venues "knew" they weren't going to have games...but they haven't been cancelled yet.

Just another symptom of fans never being satisfied. I can't imagine there is anything better or anything worse than fame. God love em.

I understand the disappointment, I'm feeling some myself. But there's a reason why Atlanta isn't on the first leg, and I have a feeling that it's the whole illness-in-the-family deal, as much as that's really none of my business. When someone leaked some dates out earlier Atlanta was on that list. I have a virus and maybe I'm too spaced out to make sense. There's nothing as dull as being sick in bed.

What is the problem? You paid a membership so you could get advanced tixs. Right! Well, you can. You may have to wait until the tour gets to an area near you, but I am sure the $40 fee wasn't for the band to add on your city/area to the tour. Right!
You do get a bit more than other u2.com visitors. Right! No one twisted your arm. Right!
And the prices aren't outrageous thanks to U2. Right!
So, come on, get into the spirtit of a u2 tour. Back the band in their endeavor as they surely will put on a show for us.

Val said:
What is the problem? You paid a membership so you could get advanced tixs. Right! Well, you can. You may have to wait until the tour gets to an area near you, but I am sure the $40 fee wasn't for the band to add on your city/area to the tour. Right!
You do get a bit more than other u2.com visitors. Right! No one twisted your arm. Right!
And the prices aren't outrageous thanks to U2. Right!
So, come on, get into the spirtit of a u2 tour. Back the band in their endeavor as they surely will put on a show for us.

Well said! I don't feel that I've wasted money joining U2.com (although I do think the site could be run better). I didn't only join for the sake of getting tickets - I joined because I love the band and their music and wanted to be part of the fan community. I don't feel cheated at all. What were people expecting - guaranteed tickets to all the shows of your choice?

I'm sorry if this comes across as being rude - that's not my intention - but it seems, to me, that a lot of people had ridiculous and unrealistic expectations... well, judging by all the moaning that's been going on for days. Just speaking as I find.
:)

Last edited:
I think people have a right to complain when people's own hard earned money is involved of course there has to be some aspects of being reasonable being involved.

Personally, I feel conflicted about the whole thing but then I'm just pebble in a large pond to the big U2 machine. :wink:

Look, I'm not one to much harp on this as I'd rather take a real vacation than sit in a GA lineup 10 hours away from home on leg 1. So I will wait until the third leg, catch the shows at home and that's it. No real harm done.

But people here are right - they paid for a service and it is not unreasonable to expect that things would be clearer. First they didn't give out the Prop codes, then they double charged a ton of people, then they were as quick as molasses in January to solve any problems and now they're totally vague about how long the codes are valid for and so on. It's horrible customer service and if any store treated you this way, you'd bitch out the manager and you'd be totally justified in doing so.

At the end of the day, they are touring. If they chalked fuck on a tour then people would have something to moan about. How many rock bands are there that have been around for 25+ years that are:
a, still successful
b, still together
c, still alive and not in prison
d, still making albums
e, still touring

Look at relativley young bands of today, Oasis for example, you see more of hayleys comet.
How many bands are actually worth watching these days, I started to like the sound of Keane, but when I saw them on the Tsunami concert, I thought they were bloody Shite, and the geezer on the keyboard with the nodding head thing is astronomically annoying. Ticket companies are the ones hiking the the prices, Ive seen one site selling them at $1500. Im travelling 300 miles to see them. If the venues are disappointing, get on a plane, get on a train, if you are a big enough fan, you will go and see them. If the tour has been sized down to give bonos voice some slack, then great, quality rather than quantity. If its the family thing then youve gotta understand. Im tired, my fingers are just typing and I dont know what im actually saying, and im starting to sound like a dick, so im gonna bed. Nite nite all.

:drool:

cmb737 said:
Agreed. This is the biggest band in the world, demanded by millions of fans.

Not Tony Danza doing a publicity signing at Joe's Barbaque and Gas.

Tony Danzas doing a signing at Joe's Barbaque and Gas???
OMG!!!
:ohmy:

verte76 said:
I'm disappointed that there are no Southern dates myself, but I think they had to take those out when they postponed the beginning of the tour. The fact of the matter is that we're spoiled. U2 have been together since 1976, whereas the Beatles' whole *career* was a grand total of eight years, 1962-1970. They can't play everywhere *and* raise families and so forth forever. It's just not possible. I hope the rumor about the family illness and such is not true, but if it is I want Edge to think about his family first and the tour second. I'm guessing Southern dates will be added. They were last time, Atlanta got two shows. There are certainly fans waiting to get the tickets in case they do.

Well said verte. :up: I really hope some Southern venues, i.e - New Orleans or Atlanta :up: will be worked into, if not this leg, then next leg of ther tour, but even if it doesn't happen I will not trash the band and talk down about them.
I love U2 too much for that. :heart:
I'll just spend my money on whatever live recordings - dvd's etc.. that come from this tour, if I can't make it to a live show.
Some people just need to get over themselves and realize there will be some really good releases and most likely, tv/cable shows coming out of this tour. :hyper:
Even though I realize it's not the same as seeing them live, nothing could be, but it shouldn't be a reason to bad mouth them the way I've seen some people are doing. . :shame:
With all that happens in life, if U2 can't make this way, l understand and will still support my favorite band.
It will still be U2..:edge: :bono: :larry: :adam: :sexywink:

Has anyone actually issued a formal complaint to the right people? So then maybe you guys could get some real response from someone that actually knows.

All of you that have felt cheated have clearly stated why, but the problem is, is that you've done it here. I think if you all clearly stated your problems to the U2 people then maybe you could in turn help them run a better web operation.

Because it just seems like the people that handle U2's website really have no clue.

david said:
I think if you all clearly stated your problems to the U2 people then maybe you could in turn help them run a better web operation.

Because it just seems like the people that handle U2's website really have no clue.

Well, I got that impression too, but I also got the impression that the folks running u2.com aren't interested in GETTING a clue. In fact, Sebastian Clayton's dismissive comments on RTE the other day pretty much spelled that out.

It wasn't good business practice, but then u2.com have an absolute monopoly on what they're selling. No one else can compete with them, which means they can run their business just about however they want.

I think people have a right to be upset but keep in mind that they didn't plan this as some grand scheme to screw people up. It's not like Edge's family member got sick on purpose.

I'm sure if they were able to have more dates they would. Everyone here knows they love to tour. They have said it time and time again that they'd rather be on the road than in the studio. Also, the dates are so far apart for a reason. If they were able to play more dates why wouldn't they?

I just get the feeling that some people seem to feel like they all sat down and tried to figure out a way to fuck everyone over. They certainly aren't perfect people and we all know U2.com isn't, but come on.... I think the reason for this is obvious and I think Edge derserves a break. If he's reading all this how horrible he must feel.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Some users here are selfish...geez.

Yeah and some users would defend U2 whatever they did. I am amazed that there are only two shows in England. Seen as how I am not now a member of Propaganda and I refuse to subscribe to another rip off site in U2.com, I will not be getting my usual reserved ticket allocation which probably means I won't be able to get tickets for the Manchester or London shows. They are definetly not the same band as 10 years ago but then again did you ever expect them to be after everything they have done the past six months. Ipod sell-out etc is just one of many things that are sooooooooo different about U2 these days.

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah and some users would defend U2 whatever they did. I am amazed that there are only two shows in England. Seen as how I am not now a member of Propaganda and I refuse to subscribe to another rip off site in U2.com, I will not be getting my usual reserved ticket allocation which probably means I won't be able to get tickets for the Manchester or London shows. They are definetly not the same band as 10 years ago but then again did you ever expect them to be after everything they have done the past six months. Ipod sell-out etc is just one of many things that are sooooooooo different about U2 these days.

Oh, you're just loving this aren't you? All thes mind-controlled U2 fans wondering if they'll get tickets. You slow down and look at car accidents don't you? Actually, you stop at car accidents, get out of the car, and try and poke the people w/ a stick.

Agree with you rjhbonovox. Some fans are just too blind and U2 are not the U2 they used to be.

Back
Top Bottom