Dallas, Moray, Scotland, UK Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised Ax isn't up yet. There's a Seattle show, after all, I'm sure they're going to start soundchecking any minute.

pollution-blackout-140803-toronto.jpg

Light pollution is a hell of a thing.

Speaking of Liechtenstein, they beat Lithuania 2-0 in soccer. :laugh:

Huzzah!!

In a similar vein, you know what chain shop name I hate? Best & Less. Best AND less, you say? So some of it's the best, but some of it's not? Wow, great selling point. I love how they didn't call it "Best AT Less", which is what I think they really mean.

Wikipedia offers no insights into the origins of the shops' name... it was bought by a South African company, however.

/trivia

Light pollution is a hell of a thing.

I hate light pollution... all those street lights don't really need to shine upwards.

I'm surprised Ax isn't up yet. There's a Seattle show, after all, I'm sure they're going to start soundchecking any minute.

You say this like I care that much any more.

I hate light pollution... all those street lights don't really need to shine upwards.

All those fucking towers in the CBD don't need to have all their lights on overnight for god-knows-what reason.

^ And that. Revolting waste of electricity... The whole Earth Hour idea is great, if only they'd do it all night and every night.

And see, this is why I hate Earth Hour - it's just tokenistic slacktivism that achieves nothing but gives people and companies a reason to pat themselves on the back, look good, and kid themselves into thinking they're helping the planet.

Who was it that was telling me that some company got to put a "Green Company" sort of label on itself, purely because it stuck stickers on all its light switches saying "turn off the lights when not in use"? It's about as credible as Macca's paying the Heart Foundation for a tick.

I can't believe it's taken me so long to get Ride's Nowhere. Terrific album.

Is this the beginning of Vlad's shoegaze era?! I hope so.

Ride are great, and now you should consider checking out Chapterhouse, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Kitchens of Distinction, Swervedriver, Adorable, et. al.

I got two songs by Ride, like, last year. And it only occured to me to get a full album yesterday.

Is this the beginning of Vlad's shoegaze era?! I hope so.

Ride are great, and now you should consider checking out Chapterhouse, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Kitchens of Distinction, Swervedriver, Adorable, et. al.

Pearl is a pretty awesome song and eh doesn't afraid of anything.

I got two songs by Ride, like, last year. And it only occured to me to get a full album yesterday.

Awesome :up:

Also, this is so me. I'll have just one song by a band for years, and then I get a full album and just go "why the FUCK didn't I do this earlier?" And after that, I'll think that I hate, say, the second half of the album, come back to it two years later and obsess over it.

I'm a terrible music listener.

Now it's time for me to recommend everyone something. :wink: Listen to Mansun, guys.

(I'm not as good at this as all of you guys)

Now it's time for me to recommend everyone something. :wink: Listen to Mansun, guys.

Oh I know I should. Too much music, too little goddamn time.

Also, on the shoegaze recommendations front, everybody should listen to New Zealand's finest (only?) shoegaze band, BAILTER SPACE. The albums Vortura and Robot World have so much goodness on them, and are interesting counterpoints in themselves, as Robot World is more at the dream pop end of the shoegaze spectrum and Vortura is more at the noise rock end (and has one of my all-time favourite shoegaze songs, Projects).

Actually, it's funny, New Zealand had a thriving and influential noise rock community in the eighties/early nineties, but it oddly didn't produce much shoegaze beyond Bailter Space. But as far as the noise rock and noise pop scene goes, Gordons, 3Ds, Ghost Club, and The Dead C are awesome. Gordons would tour small clubs (like, 1-300 people) with this gigantic fucking PA rig designed for 3,000-capacity theatres. These were the days before noise restrictions, evidently.

Now to compile a playlist of my favourite shoegaze songs. Candidates include:

Ride: Leave Them All Behind
Swervedriver: Duress
Alcest: Printemps Emeraude
Bailter Space: Projects
Adorable: Sunshine Smile
Chapterhouse: Pearl
The Verve: Star Sail

Oh my god I'd forgotten just how fucking off this planet Gravity Grave is on Voyager 1 (as I'm sure The Verve themselves were in those days too).

Now why can't they be remembered for THIS?

I'm listening to my DIV list thanks to Cobbler bringing up There Is A Light...I loved this damn list, even if no one else did (ok ok so I made it to the quarter finals, but still! lol).

Sitting here trying to find out how many volunteers I'm going to need for VBS this year, and what supplies the Church is going to need donated and realizing how many phone calls I'm going to make and all the other stuff I'm going to have to do and wondering why on earth I volunteered to run Vacation Bible School :crack:.

Here and Now is probably my favourite off Nowhere so far. I'll definitely get more albums (and EPs) when I get the time.

Bitch I'm a monster, no good blood sucker
Fat muthafucker, now look who's in trouble
As you run through my jungle all you hear is rumbles
Kanye West sample, here's one for example

I'm Homie G, double 16
Tha Big Mac, the big momma nevah seen
Slappin' dem bitches cross tha face
Wokka wokka woo, rest ma case
V-Gee represent!

:rockon:

Falling out of touch with all my
Friends are somewhere getting wasted,