Corrupt Christian Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If U2's music is a sign of anything, the music in Heaven will be incredible.

And those Corrupt Christian Music people ... when I think about them, two words come to mind, 'stupid' and 'deluded'. Every time I read that article about U2 or anything else on that site, I just get more and more annoyed.

hey axver, what exactly did focus on the family say about pop? that was definitely one of the most put down upon albums of all time, and really did not deserve it, as it is in my opinion, one of the greatest, and most faith based records of all time.

FOTF spews a lot of crap that really doesn't make sense. Just because you put the word "Family" in your PAC name and appoint yourself as a "man of God," it certainly doesn't mean that they speak for Him or for all families.

Melon

wow, i actually went to the FOTF website and found that review, it completely misses the entire message of the album, and of what u2 themselves represent. to me, this all reminds of the book of job, where job questions God, in fact gets downright angry with him, and people around him dont understand. all they do is sit around and tell him how blasphemous it is to do anything but praise god. apparently these people have never heard of symbolism, as they completely missed the spiritual context that "playboy mansion" was wirtten in.
they also have a review for ATYCLB, and well generally give it a good review, they say that in all the songs are written about a woman (even though it seems like anytime bono uses the word love, you could insert lord and it seems to fit). they also say that a bad point to the album is an "darwinian reference" in wild honey. someone please explain how they came up with that.

In wild honey they talk about "in the days, when we were swinging from the trees, i was a monkey..." ie, we evolved from monkeys is how they are taking that.

they also say that a bad point to the album is an "darwinian reference" in wild honey. someone please explain how they came up with that.

How it's a "darwinian reference" or how it's a bad point? I think the evolution reference is obvious. "When I was a monkey..." The whole song he talks about how he knew and loved this person before time as we know exists, before the world was made. So to say "when I was a monkey", I think can be deciphered as an evolution reference. Many people get offended by those references...

And some people, for some reason, seem to view believing in evolution as not something a Christian should believe. This really bothers me. I personally believe in creation (although I'm no scientist at all), but believing in evolution is neither here nor there. Whether you're an evolutionist or a creationist, you're saved, no matter what some people may try to tell you.

I wrote rebuttals to both of FOTF's articles, and, if anyone wants to read them, they can be found at http://www.livejournal.com/users/axver/13617.html. And shrmn8rpoptart, I completely agree that Pop was very faith based ... it's just a shame so many people completely miss that.

And, to be honest, that reference in Wild Honey, when I first heard it, did not make me think of evolution but childhood ...

i agree with you guys that it is an easy reference to see, but only if you look at the song on the most simple level possible. apparently fotf doesn't care to delve to deep into the real faith issues behind things, which is a real shame.

however, i think as many have pointed out already, that these are the kind of groups that u2 has come out against in the past. they seem to make their goal to raise money for their organization instead of giving back to god, from all the blessings he's poured out over us. and like bono says "my God's not short of cash mister!" in fact these are the groups that have made bono suspicous of religion. and it is really too bad that these people make it their mission to drag down others who would do God's work.

oh and i tried to read your reviews axver, but it says something about the url not being found on the server. oh well, i'm sure it will work at some point.

Hmm, that's very strange that the link didn't work. I just tried it myself and got a similar error. Ah, I've figured out why it's doing that - because I put a full stop after it to end the sentence. Here is the proper link, and hopefully this time it will work!

http://www.livejournal.com/users/axver/13617.html

yeah, the link works now-Great Rebuttals! you were right on with what you said, i hope more people can find their way to sites like yours instead of the FotF "rubbish" as you so politely put it.

your statements about the tours that were bashed were right on. in "Walk On:The Spiritual Journey of U2" he talks about the misleading nature of PopMart and ZooTV. As the story goes a young woman that Bono pulled on stage to dance with, who happens to be a devout Christian, asks Bono, complete with McPhisto horns, what he is doing and why he has strayed so far. Bono asks if she has read C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" when she replies in the affirmative Bono says, "Then you already know what I'm trying to do." And that was the point of Pop and PopMart and ZooTV, was to show what was wrong with the world by bringing those things to the forefront.

To get back to the topic of the Corrupt Christian Music, I would like to point out, like Axver in his rebuttal, that it is not anyone's job but God's to judge what is in the heart of men, and also that whoever among us who is without sin should cast the first stone. And I guarantee you that know one working for CorruptChristianMusic.com or Focus On The Family is without sin.

MY thoughts exactly! I was just going to post that very quote!

bonosloveslave said:

How the heck did they make *that* jump?!? :eyebrow:

Yeah, these folks have WAY too much time on their hands...quoting out of context can give anyone the "backup" for their own agendas.

Oh, and the pic of Bono and Liam is a nice touch. :rolleyes:

shrmn8rpoptart said:
yeah, the link works now-Great Rebuttals! you were right on with what you said, i hope more people can find their way to sites like yours instead of the FotF "rubbish" as you so politely put it.

Thank you! I do have a website of my own so I plan on putting that article on there instead of just hidden away in the depths of my LiveJournal. It's just a shame that little sites like mine don't get a terrible lot of attention but lots of people read FotF and get sucked in by their nonsense.

your statements about the tours that were bashed were right on. in "Walk On:The Spiritual Journey of U2" he talks about the misleading nature of PopMart and ZooTV. As the story goes a young woman that Bono pulled on stage to dance with, who happens to be a devout Christian, asks Bono, complete with McPhisto horns, what he is doing and why he has strayed so far. Bono asks if she has read C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters" when she replies in the affirmative Bono says, "Then you already know what I'm trying to do." And that was the point of Pop and PopMart and ZooTV, was to show what was wrong with the world by bringing those things to the forefront.

I should add the story to my article. It would probably add strength to my argument. Indeed, I probably should find a copy of 'The Screwtape Letters' and read it ...

:wave:what did focus on the family say about pop? I read on this thread that they gave pop a bad review. I thought pop was good. what were they complaining about?:confused: :angry:

Can't say I like much of the contemporary Christian music scene, either. My biggest problem is the lyrics. Sometimes I feel like walking up to some of the artists and slapping them in the face with some of Bono's lyrics and yelling "This is how you write something of quality!"

One band that's touring Queensland at the moment visited my school this morning. They're called Iron And Clay, and although they had an amazing guitarist, their lyrics stank. Here's an example (the second line may not be accurate): "The Spirit of the Lord is in this house/And we will always praise You/.../The Spirit of the Lord is in this house/So let's bounce". Pathetic. Most of the song involved repeating the first two lines ...

Axver said:
One band that's touring Queensland at the moment visited my school this morning. They're called Iron And Clay, and although they had an amazing guitarist, their lyrics stank. Here's an example (the second line may not be accurate): "The Spirit of the Lord is in this house/And we will always praise You/.../The Spirit of the Lord is in this house/So let's bounce". Pathetic. Most of the song involved repeating the first two lines ...

Haha ... that made me laugh ... even Bono when he was like 20 wrote amazing lyrics that really made you think, but this kind of just tells you what to believe? You know, like it's not letting you make your own decision.

Yeah, I find lots of contemporary Christian lyrics (not just that) are very unimaginative and lack creativity. They basically revolve around "God is great" and "Believe in God or you're in trouble" and other similar themes. I love how U2 goes beyond that and has some really decent themes that are expressed through very good lyrics.

By the way, I must correct the lyrics I posted. The second line should be multiple lines, "Everything we do we do for You/We praise You".

Axver,

You wouldn't happen to know where I could get my hands on a copy of that review would you?

It's kind of a hobby of mine to "collect" negative "Christian" reactions to 1990s U2.

Liub, online copies of the reviews are at http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0000740.cfm (Pop) and http://www.pluggedinonline.com/music/music/a0000882.cfm (ATYCLB). My personal hobby is rebutting negative reviews of U2, particularly of those by professing Christians (I'm a Christian myself and I hate to see the terrible misinterpretations many Christians make). Do you know of any other negative U2 reviews online that I could read/rebut?

(And sorry I took a while to reply, I've been away on holiday)

I also agree that most contempory Christian music is greatly disappointing. But have no fear, the folks over at Corrupt Christian Music say it's all bad, none of them are even real Chrsitians! :rolleyes:

To be serious for a moment, I'd honestly rather listen to, or sing some hymns than most contemporary Christian music. At least there you'll find things like real content, multiple verses, the ability to write above the second grade...

And even when these artists (and I use that term loosely) use hymns they often pick the simlest and and weakest ones.

Oh and I'll agree with the FOTF comments. While I haven't read the ATYCLB review I read the Pop one several years back when I was subscribed to their Breakaway Magazine. It was one among many things whihc made me drop that.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
http://www.corruptchristianmusic.com/home/index.html

Take a look at this. A very interesting site on all your favorite "christian" artists.

Even has a little write up on U2...enjoy.

:rolleyes: Either this website is an anti-Christian spoof, or whomever is in charge of it is a complete ninny, a holier-than-thou, anal-retentive prude. Nitpicking every bit of humanity from the artists listed here! Guess what, bozo, these men and women are human beings! They are prone to the same faults as all human beings, they have sexuality, they have their own worries and concerns and cannot concentrate on Jesus 100% 24/7! NOBODY can, except maybe after death.

And the write-up on U2...let's face facts, Bono is a smartass as well as a showman. Every comment here is taken totally out of context, and most of them are hyperbole or flippancy. And what's wrong with supporting Greenpeace and AIDS charities? Don't you think God wants us to take care of our environment and our suffering fellow human beings? (And does it matter how they got the disease? I don't approve of smoking, but that doesn't mean I won't support lung cancer-fighting charities!)

What a total doofus. :crazy: To believe people actually take this crap seriously. He'll probably add to this mess after Lola Ca$hman's gossip book comes out. Maybe he thinks it's a mortal sin to wear Cuban heels. :macdevil:

They are prone to the same faults as all human beings, they have sexuality, they have their own worries and concerns and cannot concentrate on Jesus 100% 24/7! NOBODY can, except maybe after death.

Well I don't think sexuality is a fault. It's a beautiful thing that God gave us. I don't think the idea of Christianity is to concentrate on Jesus 24/7. To me it's about trying your hardest to fulfill the example he gave to us.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Well I don't think sexuality is a fault. It's a beautiful thing that God gave us.

:eek: I did phrase that rather badly, didn't I? I didn't mean to imply that sexuality is a fault, it certainly is not. It's part of being human. But the writers of that webpage sure seem to feel that it is a fault.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom