Computer OE10, Kate Edgar Information Commons, University of Auckland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a secondhand bookshop here that has something I want for a rather cheap price ... shame it's over in Camberwell and that would be over a three hour round trip for me. Not keen on doing that just to save a couple of bucks.

Yeah, I'd prefer to save money on the postage, but unless I'm in that part of the world in the next week or so, I think I'll just end up ordering it.

Ugh, loads of books I want right now, mainly for my academic work, and not enough money to buy them! Some I could get out of the library, but I know I'll get good use out of them and it'd be better to have my own copies. Plus some are in the library's old/rare books collection that can't be checked out.

u2.com what the hell .....

most unaccessible site ever ! i decided i want the cd that goes with the memebership and the codes for tickets if it wver happens, trying to renew my subscription

Believe it or not, that U2.com CD actually arrived here yesterday. I can't believe they got it to me a mere six weeks after buying the subscription!

i hate library books would rather add to my own collection

Exactly! Shame postage costs for some of these books are rather steep ... a couple seem to only be available from overseas secondhand booksellers, and $20 for postage to Australia? Give me a break!

Oh yeah, there's footy on today. Should put that on. Should check the result of last night's game too.

finding myself slightly annoyed at the lack of historical perspective of the kiwis and aboriginal soldiers that served /are still serving in the forces. any thoughts on that as a historian?

finding myself slightly annoyed at the lack of historical perspective of the kiwis and aboriginal soldiers that served /are still serving in the forces. any thoughts on that as a historian?

Actually, I remarked about this to Alison after the dawn service. I'm never quite sure how to feel about ANZAC Day in Australia, whether to consider myself an insider or an outsider. Obviously it's a Kiwi holiday too, and the anthem was sung this morning (though only in English; I was disappointed by the lack of the Maori version), but it's always celebrated as very Australian - and as you mention, very white Australian.

The terrible lack of recognition of Aboriginal service and sacrifice is going to take some effort to rectify, that's for sure. The thing is, the history of ANZAC Day and Gallipoli is very much a popular history, something that's escaped the realm of academia, so your usual scholarly perspectives and academic discourse don't seem to play much of a role in shaping memory.

yeah its a very white australian day isnt it. for me its a pretty respectful day although i dont go to the dawn service , i do identify with the day , not having multicultural or religous ties to other days its kinda special. however i am conflicted with the racial overtones that it brings to the climate and again that aspect of choking on our own "mateship" . having current and past family members in the forces is interesting, vs my current perspective as interested in rights for many racial and social groups.
nearly had a fight with my brother on thursday about it .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom