Complain & regret: Why so many songs sound worse on 360 ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only saw one show this tour (Raleigh), and the band did seem lethargic through most of the older material. It was the most "phoned in" performance I've seen by any band.

As a point of reference, I missed Pop Mart (and Pop was the last exceptionally good U2 album IMO). Then, I was not crazy about 1/3 of ATYCLB (sorry, folks, but I think Walk On and Stuck in a Moment are the worst in U2's catalog - Stuck sounds like a really bad showtune - pardon the redundancy), so between that and worrying that U2 would stick too closely to old "hits" and suck what little life was left out of them made me hesitant about seeing them on Elevation. I was very surprised how energetic and fresh the older material sounded on that tour (and I only had to put up with about 3 new songs that made me cringe - the rest worked very well).

So, where I went into Elevation with low expectations, I went into 360 with high ones. The only war horse that had any life in it for me was SBS. I think the tie in to the brutality against Iranian election protesters gave U2 a reason to really feel this song. Everything else was sort of "rock show by numbers", and where Streets has always been transcendental, it was nothing special for this tour (again, the one show I saw).

Both my wife and I felt the band were bored, in fact distracted and even bothered by something, during the show. The result was a show that came off more boring than anything else.

Unforgettable Fire was, on the other hand, one of the night's highlights (other than the screen elongating to the point that we couldn't see most of the band - that's another thread - I did not pay to watch a screen or gadets - I paid to see and hear the band).

Please could you tell us WHY you come to this conclusion, everybody can say that is better than that....here we wanna here WHY you come to this conclusion.

Could you please go more in detail why you come to this conclusion, its easy to say it owns this time it owns that time please let us know in detail why you think so.

So you think Bono reaches the higher notes this time even better than at the age of 32??? And puts this time more emotions into the song during swinging like tarzan on a mic??? I can´t hardly agree with you mate.

Sorry, but the purpose of the thread is not for people to say why they think the songs are good.

That's why I asked people to avoid making those types of comments.

The purpose of this thread is to complain about the older songs.

i'm actually all for this thread being here. if it can keep a certain group of people cast away in this very thread, i hope it thrives. :up:

keep up the good work people, and the rest of us, quit complaining about the complaining in this thread. let it survive!!! :D

out.

I don't have anything to compare as 360 was my first show (except maybe bootlegs?):

With Or Without You: tired song. Bono could put more emotion in this, now that his voice improved.

One: it's not a good song live, 360 is no exception.

Where The Streets Have No Name: good, but I wasn't "zomg it's STREETS" blown away as I thought I'd be. Perhaps next time I see the band ?

The Unforgettable Fire: eh. Bono can't do the falsetto anymore.

One hasn't sounded good live since ZooTV imo. :shrug: It sounds like Bono's bored of singing it, there's no energy at all.

And I'm glad this thread was made. :up: Puts everything in place.

@ ramblin rose

The purpose of this thread is to complain about the older songs

So when people come in here and say "Yeah all the tunes sounded better this time than on Vertigo"

you think this is a complain about the older songs???? :hmm:

And on the other hand when ppl. come in here and make comments with hyroglyphs or smilies you think thats a complain to older songs too???:hmm:

@ ramblin rose

So when people come in here and say "Yeah all the tunes sounded better this time than on Vertigo"

you think this is a complain about the older songs???? :hmm:

And on the other hand when ppl. come in here and make comments with hyroglyphs or smilies you think thats a complain to older songs too???:hmm:

Um, are you selectively reading my posts?

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6468238&postcount=24

Sorry, but the purpose of the thread is not for people to say why they think the songs are good.

That's why I asked people to avoid making those types of comments.

The purpose of this thread is to complain about the older songs.

Last edited:
Everything else was sort of "rock show by numbers", and where Streets has always been transcendental, it was nothing special for this tour (again, the one show I saw).

Both my wife and I felt the band were bored, in fact distracted and even bothered by something, during the show. The result was a show that came off more boring than anything else.

(other than the screen elongating to the point that we couldn't see most of the band - that's another thread - I did not pay to watch a screen or gadets - I paid to see and hear the band).

These are two of the other bad things I noticed and that push 360º Tour near the bottom of my "U2 Tours ranking".

One of the things that surprised me on Vertigo (and on Elevation too) tour was the amusement of the band in concert and the fun in their faces while playing the whole set. This contrasted with 360º performances where, sometimes, the band seemed distracted as playing those songs and letting time going by, just because they had to play it, leaving a no-emotion feeling on me.

I am still so annoyed (on a 'I will be annoyed by something that hat has to do with internet and not in personal life 'level ) by the fact that the third thread I ever started in 5 years was raped by idiots and therefor closed that I will refrain from posting here the next two months. Congrats to those people, you suck!

This thread is not a bad idea though.

see you in december:wave:

I am still so annoyed (on a 'I will be annoyed by something that hat has to do with internet and not in personal life 'level ) by the fact that the third thread I ever started in 5 years was raped by idiots and therefor closed that I will refrain from posting here the next two months. Congrats to those people, you suck!

This thread is not a bad idea though.

see you in december:wave:

26 threads actually.

It had a good run though.

Only saw one show this tour (Raleigh), and the band did seem lethargic through most of the older material. It was the most "phoned in" performance I've seen by any band.

As a point of reference, I missed Pop Mart (and Pop was the last exceptionally good U2 album IMO). Then, I was not crazy about 1/3 of ATYCLB (sorry, folks, but I think Walk On and Stuck in a Moment are the worst in U2's catalog - Stuck sounds like a really bad showtune - pardon the redundancy), so between that and worrying that U2 would stick too closely to old "hits" and suck what little life was left out of them made me hesitant about seeing them on Elevation. I was very surprised how energetic and fresh the older material sounded on that tour (and I only had to put up with about 3 new songs that made me cringe - the rest worked very well).

So, where I went into Elevation with low expectations, I went into 360 with high ones. The only war horse that had any life in it for me was SBS. I think the tie in to the brutality against Iranian election protesters gave U2 a reason to really feel this song. Everything else was sort of "rock show by numbers", and where Streets has always been transcendental, it was nothing special for this tour (again, the one show I saw).

Unforgettable Fire was, on the other hand, one of the night's highlights (other than the screen elongating to the point that we couldn't see most of the band - that's another thread - I did not pay to watch a screen or gadets - I paid to see and hear the band).

Maybe it was your seats spoiling your show. From the pit, I thought they were on fire. (My 3rd show of the tour)

so I can stay in this thread: One sounds tired (First tour for me for that song), WOWY Bono needs to SING it, Streets is probably as weak as it's ever been played....(There)

So, folks, following the rules of the forum: This thread is not about 360 tour in general (there are many others) nor about the (imposant) stage design.
It is neither about the new tracks live. It is designed only for the people, that like to share opinion about the decay of the 'old' tunes in the set.
In my eyes and ears U2 for the first time in their career sound somehat tired playing their old material, a lack of energy, emotion, conviction – and when playing rather hard, it is kind of auto-pilote.

What do you think, why the current versions of classics "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Bad", "With Or Without You" or "One" don't come up to the live standards, we love from our favourite band? And did you attend gigs, where you witnessed this, too? Let us exchange our personal analysis ...

For anybody else still asking, what this thread is about – here it is, because I started it this way (page 1, 1st posting). After having read the last postings, I really want to remind everybody here, what the purpose of this 'complain & regret' thread regarding the versions of 'old' songs on 360 is – to exactly share opinions about this very topic.

With me refraining from appreciation threads & other threads, I do not want to contribute – these forum rules should be valid for everybody here. I do not want to see any more 'trolls' damaging this discussion here by making fun of this and are allowed to post it without consequence. These people do prevent other people from exchanging their opininions; they simply disturb the flow ...

This having said, I want to talk about the current version of "Walk On" – I think, the punch, rock and the tightness of the '01 version with two guitars, also the intensity of the '05/'06 acoustic versions are sacrificed today on the altar of the wear-a-mask-choreography. So this beautiful tune has lost in my eyes and ears, it became perfunctory.

Honestly WOWY was the only old song that doesn't sound exceptional, are they all the best performances of all time? No. But SBS sounds the best it has since JT with the exception of some powerful performances here and there like Slane and Sarajevo, and the others are acceptable, we could do with some new arrangements, but it's not the energy that's missing. Walk On doesn't sound killer on bootlegs, but the emotion in the performance is evident live, it may be less rocky than Elevation but I enjoyed myself this year.

Also, I think when MW first came back during the later Europe shows it was kind of stale, but a lot of the US performances have been stronger, and if I'm not mistaken featured the whole solo (I might have just been caught up in being there though, so don't shoot me if I'm misremembering, either way the energy increased), but I would have enjoyed hearing the supposedly rehearsed acoustic/rearrangement.

OK, I can actually think of one complaint, Still Haven't Found, the sing along and moment of reflection is fun, but in terms of the performance it kind of kills the focus on the song and it doesn't come off as classic as Streets, either tighten it or rotate it.

Still Haven't Found, the sing along and moment of reflection is fun, but in terms of the performance it kind of kills the focus on the song and it doesn't come off as classic as Streets, either tighten it or rotate it.

Well I've actually liked the version in a way (performed rather fine by the whole band plus snippets), on the other hand I've always felt more in a karaoke kind of moment – which I really disliked.

U2 should just cancel this tour :tsk:

ssshhhh.... :)

it's ok. like i said, i think this thread is a great idea. i sincerely mean that. but for us who have mostly positive thoughts about the band, that get annoyed by the negative posters taking our threads hostage, how are we any better than to come in here and slam them for having their own thread? two wrongs don't make it right. so let them have their thread in peace. they can have their intelligent conversations and we can have ours.

Beautiful Day: I like the european intro for that one but in the end i felt the song lost a bit of power compare to the Elevation Tours versions, also most of the snippets were not verry surprising.

City of Blinding lights: weaker than on Vertigo Tour, a slight tone slower played and a bit less emotions in it.

MLK: great version, beautiful singing

ONE: from Tour to Tour getting weaker, weakest point on this Tour was Barcelona for me when the hole song was f u c k e d up by Bono who made also a conversation with his band mates during the live performance, desaster.

Sunday bloody Sunday: a rebel tune turned into some kind of lets have a party tune missing the extra drumming in the end, weakest version of this tune since 82.

Ultraviolet: Don´t like the reinvented version a nostalgic point but in the end a shadow of itself, nothing to compare to the first powerful energetic versions of 92 and 93. The singing sounds so bored.

Vertigo: A shadow of the 05 engergetic powerful versions wich the band smashed in for the opening on the vertigo tour. Seems like someone plugged the Edge out for this one.

Walk On: not to compare to the powerful closing song from the Elevation Tour, second guitar is gone with the wind and the tune also....

Where the Streets have no name: nice nostalgic point a bit weaker than the good versions from the Elevation Tour slightly equeal to the vertigo versions, nice intro with Amazing Grace now in the US wich gives the tune an atmospheric intro.

With or Without you: getting weaker from Tour to Tour i will not believe that they can play it even worser than on 360 so please dropp that one out, my last good version is from 93 but now it seems so we have to play it but we dont want to sing it. The band sounded not so bad on the tune its only Bono who has no intention to sing it right.

Unforgattable Fire: well verry nostalgic tune, first i heard that one in 89, this time it has a little less punch than the last performance i´ve heard but in the end its nice and verry much nostalgic.

Still havn´t found: a good and exapable version i like it when the band came in together sounded verry much to the soundcheck version from Outside its America

Pride: played to slow less energetic when compare to the 86 East Rutherford version you come to the conclusion someone plugged Edge out and he forgott about solos.

Elevation: rocking but also slightly slower and less punch than the Elevation Versions wich kicked ass.

Stuck in a moment: nice acoustic version

Mysterious Ways: where is the solo gone, where is the drumming gone......weakest version of this tune a shadow of the punching tune from 92

Until the end of the world: less rocking less powerfull, when i remember the energetic overwhelming powerfull versions of the ZooTV Indoor Tour and compare to this one there is only the text and some notes rest the energy has gone through the years.

New Years Day: the version is ok and makes an nostalgic moment, but its less powerfull as my first verions on LoveTown and not spectacular like my Brussels version from 05 wich had a piano intro:heart:

Stay: never reached the 93 acoustic performances ever again a shadow of itself the guitar sounds weaker and missing the other band mates punching in.

In a little while: nice performance

Angel of Harlem: nice performance surprisingly dropped out of the set for some unknown reason

Desire: also rocking acoustic version as good as the ZooTV acoustics, i like the version from Amsterdam II where i was.

Bad: nostalgic pure but only nostalgic not to compare to the old versions but still in love with it :hug::heart:

Party Girl: well only 2 times and again Bono doesn´t know the lyrics again. I´ve heard this tune many times but the best performance for me was the Edge on 10.05.93 on this tune, Bono allways forgott the lyrics shame on him.

Forgetting the lyrics on Party Girl is actually part of the song. The audience kind of expect it. I thought it was fun at the shows I went to, but nothing special. I could do without it very well and I don't miss it. On the other hand, some of the songs mentioned above (Angel of Harlem, Desire, NYD) should have been played more often. One has been both weak and better this tour, Pride was ok, but I'm surprised they dropped it totally. I expected them to bring it back and make it sound fresher again. The rest is great. I especially love Still haven't found and Beautiful Day, these two songs still lift my spirits up when I hear them.

I mean, seriously, this 360 tour is a big fat JOKE. U2 should just give up on it, screw the audiences and take the money and run. You guys are wasting your freaking money buying tickets for these guys, give them all to me, so I can burn them because U2 are so shit. :shifty:

They brought back Your Blue Room! A song that nobody knows or cares about from an album that nobody knows or cares about!!! And what the hell is Ultraviolet doing here, what a waste of money! I wish they'd play a 7-minute encore version of Vertigo, with Edge channeling his inner guitar shredder, what's with these crappy 20-second solos on Until The End Of The World, and I want more guitar smashing.

And why the hell is Larry getting off his seat during Crazy? Someone needs to stick glue to his chair so he doesn't go anywhere. Stay behind the drums old man. :tsk:

Rant over.* Have a good day.

* sarcasm has been presented in this post.

Streets: :shrug:

Mysterious Ways: :yawn:

One: :|

SBS: :down:

Ultraviolet: :confused:

Still Haven't Found: :yuck:

WOWY: :mad: :yell::rant::banghead: :barf:

Carry on ... :corn:

Complaining = :down:

Regretting= :doh:

Seriously, what's there to REGRET? If anything, I regret coming into this thread.

But I acknowledge that it serves its psychohygienic purpose for some people. So if it helps: Complain! Regret! Let it all out. Maybe the world will become a better place then.

Apparently, there's a rule in this forum saying that anyone who subscribes it has to be a blind sheep and to accept everything this band does. The rule even reffers «do not question, judge or bash the band's artistic options», which makes sense because we're blind sheeps, we're not viewers, we're not entitled to evaluate something with objectivity and to say it's right or it's wrong.

Threads about negative evaluations or that include too much negative thoughts (which irritates the community and brings fights againsts users) must be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom