Coimbra 2 Setlist Party Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya reckon that's why he's taken out hte "Rippin' the stitches" part of Mercy? :wink:

:lol:

glad to see that it was a google translation mix up - it's hard not to worry though and I guess it is a filter through which we'll all be looking for a little while at least :)

thanks for clearing things up peeps and ^ :applaud: loving that Magnificent video :dance:

Ya reckon that's why he's taken out hte "Rippin' the stitches" part of Mercy? :wink:

:doh: :lol:

Whatever happened, he was definitely struggling through the first 3-4 songs... even with 'underwater' sound, that was obvious. :sad: Makes me wonder how many times any of them weren't really well enough to go on stage but did so anyway, out of determination, indebtedness to the fans, whatever. It just increases my respect for them that much more - I mean, for four people to give live performances over a span of 30 years & only one of them to have ever missed a show? That's impressive. :yes: (Not counting, of course, postponements that had to be made, i.e. the Vertigo Hawaii show or last summer's US leg.)

Well I got it in Brussels....turns out there is a nasty stomach bug going round:sad: Glad mine lasted only about 24 hours but I know I could n`t have done a concert for 2 hours when mine started..........couldn`t get off the WC :huh:

At least you know why he chooses black leather trousers

I first noticed Bono's discomfort at the end of Boots. I was behind the Red Zone on Edge's side. Bono was out at the very back of the stage singing to the fans behind the stage when Boots ended. He walked back in but was bent over a little bit, holding his stomach. He then crouched down behind the speakers and amps to talk to Sam or Phil.

He stayed there for the start of the intro to Magnificent, and didn't say any of his usual "What time is it in the end world? Where we going? Lisbon? Porto? Coimbra?" type spiel. He made it back to the front of the stage for the start of the song, but failed to sing more than a few words. He indicated to the band to keep playing, but he was clearly struggling badly with something.

He was grimacing, leaning forward and holding his stomach very often, but going back to the drum kit often and drinking lots of water. He started some lines of the song, but then shook his head and turned back to the drum riser. He did look in a lot of pain. Must say, I was extremely concerned for a while that he was hurt or sick. I didn't think he would make it through the whole gig. I'm sure many other fans thought the same too. So we sang and roared the lyrics that Bono missed.

He talked to Phil again, and drank more water and made it to the end of the song. His singing for the lines he did manage was fine, the problem wasn't with his voice. It looked like stomach cramps or chest pain or something. But he seemed to recover by the end of the song.

I thought he got through the rest of the gig without any further prob, and his singing was absolutely sensational throughout. But different groups of fans I know who were at the very front told me afterwards that he had a few more grimaces during later songs, and also that he was limping, but I didn't notice either of these.

A very scary few minutes. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything about this on the U2.com review.
Thanks for the info. I was there too, but in the upper tier the other end of the stadium from the stage so could only see what was shown on screen. I thought it looked as if he was having a coughing fit or problems with his voice, but the holding of his stomach didn't really fit with that, so I wasn't sure.

Like you my friend and I were both concerned that he might be ill and might not be able to carry on, but as you say he did seem to recover by the end of the song.

As I'd thought it was a voice problem my heart was in my mouth for Miss Sarajevo but he sounded great.

So were there any clear indications that it was indeed back pain? From everything I've read, people are either saying he lost his voice and looked as if he was choking or trying to "cough out" something, or he held his stomach and looked as if he was in cramps. Doesn't sound like back pain to me.

The limping part is a bit concerning, but he didn't seem to limp on the videos I saw from the second part of the show. Any other people here who noticed the limp? Did it occur later on in the show as well? Whatever it was, he seemed to recover. Let's hope it was just a bug or a bad hangover or a case of (harmless) stomach problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Rome.

I have to say that was a really awful translation... sorry. Even common sense would indicate that Bono is a "he" not an "it" when translating. Not being rude just stating a fact here.

To me it looks like it could have been any of the things being suspected...voice, back, cramp. I wouldnt outrule it being his back... when you belt out a song and you have back issues and its flaring up, then it is going to hurt. He sure drank a lot of water though.

A very scary few minutes. I'm surprised there hasn't been anything about this on the U2.com review.

I know, this isnt being mentioned in many places which surprises me. TO me it looks like he is holding his left arm really stiffly and close to his body...I certainly hope he wasnt have chest pains. :(

In hindsight, I should have left it alone, or at least added some kind of comment to the effect of "make of it what you will, as it's a free online translator."

Oh well. Hopefully no harm done.

That video was weird to watch. It came across to me more like "holy crap, I don't feel so well" and not so much "ow, my back." I'll take that as a good sign, because that stuff passes. ;)

But who knows with that arm thing he was doing. maybe it was a combination of thing. Whatever it was, at least it looked like he felt somewhat better as the concert went on.

So since i have nothing better to do right now and went off to to read the original article, I thought I'd translate it since it is pretty short. Here you go :)

"During Magnificent, Bono stopped singing, ordered the band to continue and they did. We thought in the beginning that it was the voice. But later we perceived it to be his back. He became very white, had difficulty staying on his feet, and was always trying to stretch his left leg.

For awhile he remained with his backside toward the audience and facing Larry drinking more and more water with pills for the pain. During the next two songs/segments, he moved very little, noticing he was having some difficulties. He then recuperated and the rest of the show went on like nothing one has seen. He didnt move like usual but compensated everything with a crazy amount of (garra? no clue), professionalism and courage. Clearly he did not mount the microphone during UV, nor did he get on his knees on MOS.

PS. It was heartwarming to see the affection, worry and support from the other three."

Gosh, that makes much more sense than that online translation. What a shocker. :lol:

Thanks for that. I'm sure the poster who originally said that will be much more pleased with that result.

Gosh, that makes much more sense than that online translation. What a shocker. :lol:

Thanks for that. I'm sure the poster who originally said that will be much more pleased with that result.

LOL No problem!

Those online translators can be useful, but sometimes the stuff the sputter out is like alien language!

"Garra" can have two meanings:

1) "claw" like the shape of the stage;
2) "power/strenght/fierceness" (for example: the power of a claw in someone's skin or the strenght of someone's voice - we use the word "garra" for all that).

"Garra" can have two meanings:

1) "claw" like the shape of the stage;
2) "power/strenght/fierceness" (for example: the power of a claw in someone's skin or the strenght of someone's voice - we use the word "garra" for all that).

Ah ok, thanks! Does it come from the word agarar? To grab?

Was at both Coimbra shows and hopefully can shed a bit of light on this.

At the very start of Magnificent, Bono disappeared I think to the underworld area for what I now presume was painkillers. There was no 'Where are we going?' intro and he didnt sing over Edge's riff. He then attempted to sing the first few lines before succumbing to the pain, he was almost doubled over at one point. He struggled through the song and looked somewhat more comfortable during Mysterious Ways and Elevation although he didnt move around much. During Until The End Of The World he tried to walk around a bit more but his typical movements and theatrics were a lot more rigid. The real worrying moment came at the end of the song - he tried to do the reaching out over the bridges thing with Edge (who didnt look too keen to do it considering the situation) and he appeared to be in real pain. When the song finished and he returned back down to the stage he was limping extremely heavily, almost to the point of not being able to walk. I saw Dallas come on stage and presumably ask Edge what was happening during the guitar change with Edge giving him a hand gesture that seemed to suggest that it could go either way. Things did pick up after a few songs, presumably the pain killers kicked in pretty fast and he was able to go on somewhat as normal.

With this mind it was a fantastic show, the vocals were still excellent and if anything the back (?) problems only spurred the crowd and the rest of the band to take things to another level. I can only assume that not wanting to extend the set is the only reason Bad was not played, which is a massive stroke of bad luck. The guitar parts for it, along with Pride and Boy Falls From The Sky had been soundchecked earlier in the day and after those two songs made into the set I was expecting Bad to pop up somewhere, imagine my devastation when I found out it was in the printed set but omitted from the show. :lol:

During the next two songs/segments, he moved very little, noticing he was having some difficulties. He then recuperated and the rest of the show went on like nothing one has seen. He didnt move like usual but compensated everything with a crazy amount of (garra? no clue), professionalism and courage. Clearly he did not mount the microphone during UV, nor did he get on his knees on MOS.

PS. It was heartwarming to see the affection, worry and support from the other three."
This guy, right here, is a f*cking badass.

The fact that he's willing to plow on like that despite being in major pain (not to mention having had major back surgery three months ago!) kind of rekindles my respect for the B-man. Yeah, he can be a bit egotistical at times, but stories like this make it obvious that he's doing this job for the fans and for his own love of music.

I was just watching UV and it's obvious he wasn't himself. Hopefully he can get through Rome and then can rest for several weeks.

I wouldn't expect any sort of comment or report on the situation from U2.com - I can imagine this isn't the first "bad day" he's had, maybe just the one that was most obvious? I can only imagine the :panic: that would ensue if U2.com came out and said "Bono's back was hurting during the Coimbra show."

I don't think there'd still be ongoing rumors of new cities and countries for the tour if they had any doubts about his recovery. But I suppose it's not beyond belief that he'll have a bad day here or there, despite the German Engineering we've been seeing on display onstage. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom