Cinematography: R&H vs. Elevation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AchtungJedi

The Fly
Having seen both Rattle and Hum and the Boston concert, I find the difference in the camera work between the two staggering. Particularly in the Sun Devil Stadium footage, the cinematography is excellent, and it offers clear, steady views of all four band members while making good use of the lighting. By contrast, the Elevation footage looks like it was filmed or edited by an extremely anxious person, constantly jumping around and seeming to be in love with Bono's face.

While there are some great songs from the Boston concert, it's a shame you don't get to see Edge more, or Larry/Adam if that's what you like to see. It just seems poorly done. Rattle and Hum is beautiful to watch at times, and it enhances the music with its cinematography.

Thoughts?

Great idea for discussion!

I believe, Hamish Hamilton, the director of the Elevation DVD was a first-timer with a production that size.. I swear I saw or read that somewhere.

I don't think you can really compare Rattle And Hum and the Elevation gig cos RAH was shot at different locations, black and white shots, coloured ones...the Boston gig had a lot of good songs of course - of course lol - but I'd prefer Rattle And Hum! :D Sort of more emotional to me. :yes:

Having made many, many stills from both, I'd have to vote for Elevation over any other video...
Just because every shot was a good shot, the camera'd change and I'd be like "OO THERE'S A GOOD ONE" every two seconds. By contrast, R and H I did a lot of saying "Hey, that's the exact same shot I just saw ten seconds ago..."
I'm not slamming rattle and hum, it's beautifully shot... and yeah, there is a lot of Bono on the Boston DVD and I as well would have more Edge/Adam/Larry

that is all

I think, in some ways, that both were done well, and suited the content. I personally enjoy the Boston DVD more, but RnH is very good, too. :) They both could be improved, IMO, but they're good for what they are.

I like color better but Bono is hot in both of them so it really doesn't matter! :cute:

For me it would be hard to say which I prefer since I love both of them. I guess you could say that for me I really like Elevation for the true entertainment factor. I like the visual aspect/cinematograpy of Rattle and Hum in which I love the black and white portions best. I've been fascinated with black and white photos, films etc lately so I guess that would put Rattle and Hum a wee bit above Elevation.

Two completely distinct styles of cinematography. R&H was more of a traditional "movie", whereas Elevation uses the more recent MTV style of a constantly moving camera.

I don't think you cant compare 36 mm cinema cameras to video ones, I like more the quality of R&H, I think Boston is too MTV, I like even more Sydney and Mexico City videos.

My order of U2 concert videos.....

Zoo TV- Sydney
Popmart Mexico City
Red Rocks
Rattle and Hum
Elevation in Boston
Lovetown

The Boston concert........Bono's voice wasn't very good on it. I find it boring to watch....it doesn't have good replay to it. However, I will say that if they would release the entire Slane Castle show on DVD, it would definately sit at #1.

AchtungJedi said:
Any other thoughts?

Yes, I think R&H was kinda of"this is who we are, nice to meet you" & Elevation was like "now that we have met, watch us kick some major Rock & Roll ass.:lol: :yes: :wave: :eeklaugh:

Walkron said:

Yes, I think R&H was kinda of"this is who we are, nice to meet you" & Elevation was like "now that we have met, watch us kick some major Rock & Roll ass.:lol: :yes: :wave: :eeklaugh:

I just love your description........they're both good in their own unique way (more shots of others would have been nice though)

bayernfc said:

I just love your description........they're both good in their own unique way (more shots of others would have been nice though)

This may be inappropriate for this thread but I really liked Popmart too.:p

Back
Top Bottom