Cinematic Music critique

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kakvox

Refugee
O.K., well let me first start out by saying I love HTDAAB, perhaps U2's strongest album in terms of song strength. I would give it a 8.5-9/10, but not quite a 10/10. Let me explain my reasoning for this:

Edge has said in the past that U2 makes 'cinematic music', in that their songs on an album have something that when you listen to them, they actually bring you to a physical place, not just spiritual, emotional, etc. Well, I go to those places on JT, Boy, AB, and UF. I don't know why, I just feel and and imagine it and go there, I guess. I Love that about U2 albums. It makes the album so much more rich for me. Again, this is personal, so I don't expect everyone to judge or view an album by this standard, no do I judge is solely by this.

With that said, HTDAAB doesn't feel cinematic to me. Not necessarily good or bad, just not totally fulfilling for me. The songs are amazing as they stand alone, but they don't take me on a journey as the tracks progess. I gave this album soooooo many listens and I still love it, but I guess what was missing from the album for me was that other dimension.

I'd like to hear what you guys think. ;)

I agree. The aspect ratio of this album is definitely 1.85:1, rather than the 2.35:1 aspect ratio of The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree. Listen to "The Unforgettable Fire" or "Where The Streets Have No Name". Those are some seriously widescreen songs. I love the new album, but I've always prefered my U2 in CinemaScope.

Last edited:
I've never really felt U2's music to be cinematic. It just doesn't do that for me -- never really has. I've had other music that feels very cinematic, so I know what you're talking about, but U2's hasn't had that feel for me. :huh:

indra said:
I've never really felt U2's music to be cinematic. It just doesn't do that for me -- never really has. I've had other music that feels very cinematic, so I know what you're talking about, but U2's hasn't had that feel for me. :huh:

What music have you found to be cinematic, Indra? I'd probably like to hear it!

Back
Top Bottom