CD review "strung out on U2"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
STRUNG OUT ON U2 - QUARTET TRIBUTE TO U2
Circa 2002

The disc opens up with with a really nice classical rendition of "Where The Streets Have No Name". It sounded full and very 3 dimensional with all the string instruments coming together. Unfortuneatly not all songs were this awesome. Some songs you simply can't turn into classical renditions and it was hard to identify the tune of "Desire" until 2 minutes into the song and by then I was annoyed by the "mesh" of instruments trying trying to make the song hard core like the original. The best song on the disc was "All I Want Is You." The quartet however had a free ride on this song considering that the original contains a lot of orchestral instruments and composition. The lead violin was too high pitched and annoyed my ears during "Sunday Bloody Sunday."

It's meh. I don't think I even have it anymore but I do remember that Desire just didn't work. I have a few of those "Strung Out" CDs. The Radiohead one is decent. Not that anyone cares but umm yeah. :reject:

Hit or miss, but mostly hit. Of course, I'm a cellist, so I may be a bit partial. :) "Desire" is bizarre, and I don't like "The Sweetest Thing" either. However, WOWY, 40, and AIWIY are just gorgeous.

I also just love the idea of a string quartet playing "Sunday, Bloody Sunday." It's so......surreal!

Back
Top Bottom