Cascade d'Arse, Pyrenees, France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
care to elaborate a bit more?

I don't know anywhere near enough about Obama to comment but I'd feel fairly safe in saying that dude's comments were ridiculous?

Firstly, I'll begin with saying that I'm (ideologically) opposed to just about every leader of just about every country for reasons which are obvious, they never serve the interests of the workers. Hence Obama automatically gets my dislike, he's a capitalist and an imperialist.

I really really really wish Go Back got this kind of attention.

Yeah, agreed.

So basically you will always be anti-establishment, man! :wink:

Ja.

Cool cool.

So, instead of putting KONY 2012 stuff up everywhere, I implore all of you to put this one up instead.

konyposter.jpg

I have no idea what's going on, but I take it it's not good.

I has joined the crazy apple clan. Got a top of the range iMac, upgraded from 4gb to 8gb (for $60 as apposed to apple website's offer of $240 or something crazy. I guess it all comes down to the brand.) Office - student edition and the apple care thing for $2700. About time I had a decent system that won't be fucking laggy as all shit after about 12 months.

Is it worth getting Anti Virus stuff? Probably for the most part its not, but just for Internet Banking ect?

It's all yours in 30 posts!

Oh, and I'm so much more lax re: anti-virus things than I ever should be.

I was first exposed to Kony and the LRA in about 07/08, so just after high school, and I already felt like I was a bit late to the party. I suppose I had simply assumed a lot more was happening in northern Uganda behind my back since I'd last bothered reading about it, and as a result my initial reactions are available for posterity.

Here's a pretty good post on FB from a friend of a friend:

Everyone jumping on the Kony bandwagon, listen up.

Your efforts are great and all, but there's a reason this is happening. That reason is big governments have their own vested interests and reasons for leaving this guy in power...or not giving a damn about Uganda, where he started, or the Democratic Republic of Congo, Central African Republic, and South Sudan where he's active now.

He get's his weapons from somewhere, and the top 3 arms producers in the world are amongst the only 5 permanent members of the United Nations security council.

In 2005 he was declared a war criminal...but spent the next two years meeting various countries presidents, and even members of the United Nations asking for aid dollars.

...and call me a pessimist, but donating half your paycheck to this cause really isn't going to do much. Save half a paycheck for a year then go volunteer in the medical care centers that care for the kids after they've been spat out by Kony's system. Or hell, volunteering at your LOCAL family shelter.

Also, the Ugandan millitary is using this entire Kony campaign as a weak excuse to cross borders and steal resources from other countries. Like diamonds,and timber. Fun fact is the Ugandan army also has a history of leaving high HIV rates in communities behind them wherever they go, you do the math.

America only commited special forces to the hunt when Kony started getting close to US-Owned diamond mines. They sent 100 "combat equipped" troops (note, not special forces), as of last October. Oh yeah, but those soldiers are not to get into fights themselves, but only provide "advice and training".

Kony's got his head on the chopping block...but he's only one example of entire countries full of corrupt commanders in that region. With Kony as the lead "get him now" figure, thousands of dollars of aid are flooding into various communities to the point where local leaders there are LETTING KONY'S FIGHTERS GO when captured, because they don't want the aid dollars to stop.

And y'all playing right into their little money making schemes. Even if "Invisible Children" is legit...guarantee you a very, very small fraction of your donations will even make it into any of those countries.

So, how can you help. Raise hell, online, contact politicians, volunteer for various organisations that lobby for change. But sending more dollars to the conflict or donating your paycheck for a few weeks while "everyones talking about it" is pretty damn cheap.

And if you talk about running a club night to "raise awareness" for something like this, I might actually punch you in the face. The last thing we need to honour dying child soldiers in Africa is a Jagerbomb while the latest Skrillex remix is dropping. That's cheap.

I'd say if you are really serious about "The children zomg", go volunteer at your local cities family shelter. Or anywhere, really. There's enough people that need your help right here, where you can make a real, tangible difference. Immediately. Or ask Invisible Children what you can do on a local scale to help, like put up posters. But I'm not sure just donating half your paycheque...while still having enough time to buy the latest skinny jeans, or plaster yourself in maybelline on the weekend...is #legit.

You want to pretend this is the end of the world and deserves your full support? Start acting like it. Facebook doesn't cut it, and $$$ won't help.

Nah, you're out-radicaling me easily. Obama's one of the better options out of a bad bunch, so he has my very qualified support.

When I was younger I did think your views were omgbadass!1!1!. :lol:

Now, um, I'm very ... radical.

When I was younger I did think your views were omgbadass!1!1!. :lol:

Now, um, I'm very ... radical.

Haha, of course, the thing is that I don't even think of myself as particularly radical ... just I end up that way compared to how right wing everybody else apparently is. I know so many people on university campuses are very consciously "radical" or "extremist" or whatever. I just think of myself as progressive.

I guess part of it is that my cynicism towards any attempt for wholesale change leads me to be willing to make the best of a world dominated by capitalism, rather than advocating for an revolutionary overthrow. Plus I think the idea of "workers" is a bit outdated. I think the faultlines of society have changed.

I saw this company logo today. LOOK AT IT Home :: Business SA

Fitting, through a long and convoluted thought process that seemed funny in my mind but doesn't quite type out so well. If Womanfish is the hive mind's theme song, it has the lyric "one horse town", which is pretty much the extent of business in SA. :tongue:

Finally, Vlad's into hip hop.

I read it as a marker's comment on an essay. GUESS WHAT I'VE BEEN DOING.

Not so much massive piles, I don't have too many students this time around ... but being a summer semester course, there are less truly brilliant History students and heaps of people either 1. just trying to finish uni and submitting any old crap in search of a Pass, or 2. trying to satisfy their breadth requirement - so as talented as they may be, they aren't historians, don't know the standards for historical writing, and result in a lot of spilt red ink (actually e-comments now). #1 is frustrating but at least I don't feel too bad about giving them low marks. I don't enjoy #2 because I know they're smart, I know they haven't just pissed the essay out at the last minute, but they simply fail to do what's required. I hate that History just lets breadth students into our regular courses - the sciences have separate breadth subjects exclusively for non-science students.

I'll shut up because nobody cares and I could go on for hours about this.

Paid $20 for some software than can read and write to NTFS on the Mac. Transferred 8GB of data to an external hard drive in like 4 minutes? I'm sure glad I went all out on a computer for a change :love:

And if you talk about running a club night to "raise awareness" for something like this, I might actually punch you in the face. The last thing we need to honour dying child soldiers in Africa is a Jagerbomb while the latest Skrillex remix is dropping. That's cheap.

An actual event organised by some Werribee peeps:

Hi Everyone,

Kony 2012 is hitting Melbourne in a big way, recently just seeing Project X and the amount of people they pulled together just for a house party it has inspired us to not only raise awareness and to demand justice on the night of April 20th but to throw a m...assive party right in the heart of Federation Square to celebrate the great cause we are supporting.

We both know the city of Melbourne like to party and we both know the city of Melbourne like to party hard.

There is only one thing we ask of you all,
Enjoy a few drinks, head into the City and keep those good times rolling; lets enjoy the support we are giving and let’s show the world that Melbourne knows how to get things done.

COVER THE NIGHT!

PS. Wear something tight.

NB Originally the description said something along the lines of "get absolutely smashed"

... good lord.

And I just marked an essay where the student didn't even indicate what question they were responding to. Their argument was so vague that it could have applied to multiple options and it took me a good couple of paragraphs to work out which one they had in mind. Bloody hell, that's almost as bad as spelling your own name wrong.

I actually can't wait till you come Bonnie. I imagine me, you, Ax, Charlotte, Ali and Danny sitting in some 3m x 3m Brunswick apartment drinking wine (me beer) and talking about IF douchebags.

OY. Bonnie. TOnight we found the beer wich you are drinking when you come. It's is called BIG BEAR!! We wil be doin' thangs

I'm THIS EXCITED

photoon90312at1147pm2.jpg

THATS VERY EXCITEd

i'm 21

why the fuck would i say "me beer"? Bonnie is the biggest beer connoisseur (I know how to spell that word off by heart, even when drunk, awesome) in histoire (m83 reference).

And also cin and also jen. And also whomever else I'm forgetting.

My cobbler review of Bon Iver is in rmt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom