Book Of Your Heart (U2 saved the best for last)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Book Of Your Heart is another main course after desert on this album. What a haunting beautiful song!:drool:

My favourite so far! It's spacious, epic, melancholic. Bono full-voice in the end. Simply wonderfull!:heart:

Sounds like they took the feel and atmosphere of Ultraviolet, Ground Beaneath, and Mercy into 2017!

Those who are still yearning for that dark AB-feel will get served here...

Only problem: song is too short (probably because I want it to go on for 20 minutes..)

It reminds me much of the 90s B-side "Oh Berlin", so yes, I love it too and that's my favourite on this deluxe album (apparently it almost didn't make it to the final cut!)

A little less overprocuded than all the other songs... THE BOOK OF YOUR HEART. :heart:

Damn I love this song. I didn't know they still had this sort of thing in them.

They do. But unfortunately, I believe their producers remove all the geniune parts of the new songs they create and transform them in something that no one can really love or hate.

The more time I spend time with this album, the more I keep going back to this song. Imagine a full U2 album written in this vein? It would be like a JT/AB hybrid. The lines that really pull me in are...

Ask the leaf and ask the bird
Not to sing or speak a word
We are not fictitious characters
But we don't belong to this world

And then the heavy JT-like drum transition into, "The book, the book of your heart..."

Epic stuff. Maybe the best song on the album. Should have been included. Goes beautifully after American Soul.

Last edited:
What were they thinking leaving this off the main album but keeping American Soul on there (though I enjoy AS, this is just better)? Amazing vocals by Bono...reminds me of the vibe of "If you wear that velvet dress" and pretty much anything on AB. I'm floored about how great this song is. Love the last minute of this song, really haunting and beautiful.

Last edited:
It does carry a different vibe than the album tracks but I keep coming back to this. Definite JT era vocals going on here, love his low voice. Edge’s guitar tone is haunting.

By the way, does anyone hear a constant but subtle clicking sound during the first minute or so of this track? I’d love a more polished version without that.

For me it’s more 90’s than 80’s! Oh Berlin is a good description of this song. This is the best song on the album for me. This really does remind me of an AB bside. If there is such a thing as SOA I hope it goes more in this direction.

The production/mix of Book of Your Heart

Like I said in my earlier thread, this song is just magic.

But:
Is it me or is there something really weird going on with the production of this song?

I mean:
The quiet verses where Bono sings with his low voice sound full, clear and spacious.
But when the chorus comes: "...the book, the book of your heart.." it sounds like all the other guys (Larry, Adam and Edge) come out of a little radio and are far in the background.. There's hardly a kickdrum, bass or full guitar to be heard, especially in the last chorus where song should really take off.. Also the volume falls back in these parts. Only Bono's voice in pretty upfront.

Did anyone else notice this too?

The streak continues this century. Better songs left off for inferior songs.

ATYCLB, left Levitate off...and maybe another, I'd have to see a list of ATYCLB B-sides.

HTDAAB, left Smile off. Oh, and one of their best songs of the last 20 years...Mercy.

NLOTH...Soon. Winter as well.

SOI, the best song of the bunch, Invisible. Some would say also Crystal Ballroom.

SOE, it's too early for me to say it's the best of the bunch but I'm leaning that way today.

I hate it when they do this - release non-album tracks which should be on the album. Exactly the same thing happened with SOI, three times - Invisible, TCB, and LH.

Why couldn't they have just had two 14 track albums for SOI and SOE?

For me the greatest insult is Love Comes Tumbling and The Three Sunrises not making TUF.

It just hit me that maybe this song should have been the opening song for the album.

I'm listening to it with headphones. Sounds fine to me. I love the ethereal quality.

Yeah the mix is much worse than the rest if the album probably just a demo

I know. I’m talking more about a possible release like “Songs of Innocence +” thats on iTunes which has Crystal Ballroom, Lucifers Hands and the acoustic/alternate versions of songs from that album. Maybe we’ll get something like that with SOE as well.

"Songs of Innocence+" was put out solely on iTunes because they needed to provide a way for people who wanted the "Deluxe" version tracks without having to buy the whole Deluxe version, since they gave the standard edition of the album for free on iTunes. I don't believe it was released on any other storefronts because there would have been no need to, it's just a bridge EP.

So it seems very unlikely they will release a Songs of Experience+ as people can purchase the Deluxe or Regular. I believe the Regular is still given to every iTunes customer when they open an AppleID with iTunes! To be honest I'm not sure why they just don't charge $5.99 for the + version and simplify things a bit.

This is to SOE what Acrobat is to Achtung Baby. Also, I have no idea how Bono is hitting those Joshua Tree era vocals.

giphy.gif

Ten days since the release, and this is the one that keeps drawing me in. Absolutely love it. Could be on UF or AB. So real too.

Book Of Your Heart is another main course after desert on this album. What a haunting beautiful song!:drool:

This is what I expect Songs Of The Ascent to be like.

Wouldn't be surprised if they slipped this song onto that album.

People on Interference have always had obession over b-sides, and U2 have had many great b-sides, this is just one of a long list.

Like I said in my earlier thread, this song is just magic.

But:
Is it me or is there something really weird going on with the production of this song?

I mean:
The quiet verses where Bono sings with his low voice sound full, clear and spacious.
But when the chorus comes: "...the book, the book of your heart.." it sounds like all the other guys (Larry, Adam and Edge) come out of a little radio and are far in the background.. There's hardly a kickdrum, bass or full guitar to be heard, especially in the last chorus where song should really take off.. Also the volume falls back in these parts. Only Bono's voice in pretty upfront.

Did anyone else notice this too?

Song reminds me of the ‘99 million dollar hotel soundtrck. Stateless. This would easily fit on that. Maybe They used an old track and put Some new vocals on it like the remastered AB kindergarten and UF disc two.
Realy like this song and direction

Book of your heart is the best song (not) on the album. I can kind of understand though why they left it out of the album proper. It sounds a bit incomplete towards the end. But it's such a refreshing song! Especially the lower register vocal that Bono uses so seldom.

The end of this song has that car alarm sound from the start of Someone Great. Someone should mash these together.

Back
Top Bottom