Bono's overpowering presence in U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMirrorSky

War Child
As far as I know, Bono writes most of their songs. Can you guys name any songs written excusively by The Edge, Adam or Larry?

The Beatles had a healthy balance between Lennon and McCartney and even Harrison wrote and sang a fair amount of songs. Depeche Mode has certain songs written and sung exclusively by Martin Gore and not Dave Gahan.

I know that Bono's persona, his ego, his image... all of it make up U2. And the four of them do come together very well as a band and have stuck with each other for 30+ years without letting Bono's ego get the better of them.

But I cannot help wonder if the others chimed in a little more, would we see a different level of songwriting? Of course, it is commendable that U2 have gone for so long without breaking up, which happens easily when egos clash. I dunno. What are your thoughts? :wink:

The entire band has writing credits on almost every U2 song. That comes from the fact that U2 don't really sit down and write songs; the go to the studio and play around until something happens. Really, there is no distinction between the writing process and the recording process for them. Actually, I honestly can't think of a U2 song whose writing is not credited to all four, except for a few credited to all four plus Eno and Lanois (a few songs on NLOTH) and TGBHF, whose writing is credited to all four plus Lanois (if I remember correctly).

Lyrics are, of course, another story. Bono writes most U2 lyrics. There are a few songs whose lyrics are credited to Bono and Edge (I think they're all on Bomb and No Line), and a couple whose lyrics are just Edge's (Van Diemen's Land and Numb). And the aforementioned U2/Eno/Lanois songs have both their music and their lyrics credited as such. Oh, and TGBHF's lyrics were written by Salman Rushdie (or, rather, adapted from a book that he wrote).

Lyrics are, of course, another story. Bono writes most U2 lyrics. There are a few songs whose lyrics are credited to Bono and Edge (I think they're all on Bomb and No Line), and a couple whose lyrics are just Edge's (Van Diemen's Land and Numb). And the aforementioned U2/Eno/Lanois songs have both their music and their lyrics credited as such. Oh, and TGBHF's lyrics were written by Salman Rushdie (or, rather, adapted from a book that he wrote).

Yeah that's what I thought more or less. But I wonder if Bono writes most of the lyrics because he wants to control that department or the others just don't contribute enough!? lol. I mean, each one handles the instrument that he plays very well but don't they write anything? VDL and Numb are the ones I thought of too when it came to the Edge but did he just sing them or also write them?

Yeah that's what I thought more or less. But I wonder if Bono writes most of the lyrics because he wants to control that department or the others just don't contribute enough!? lol. I mean, each one handles the instrument that he plays very well but don't they write anything? VDL and Numb are the ones I thought of too when it came to the Edge but did he just sing them or also write them?

But they do write. They write music. It may involve fewest pens and less paper, but that is how U2 write their music. Unlike the Beatles, U2 have one primary singer, and it's natural that he writes his own lyrics. But writing lyrics =/= writing a song.

I think Edge probably contributes most to the music, followed by Bono(which is pretty amazing when you consider he can't really play anything) Bono's contribution to the music was most clearly shown in the From The Sky Down film, Bono really did seem to be the driving force.

Adam and Larry certainly weigh in with drum and bass lines and are present throughout much of the song writing process but I doubt that they contibute more than other drummers or bass players in big bands but don't neccessarily get credited. Ringo Starr tends to not get a lot of credit for his contributions but he was a highly accomplished drummer who I'm sure had as much input into some songs as Larry does in U2's songs, he even wrote a decent hit.
One of U2's most endearing qualities and a major reason that they've stuck together so long is because they split everything equally regardless of whether Edge wrote 95% of the song or not.
All 4 in U2 definitely have a hand in the song writing, but I would imagine that there's no U2 song that was mostly written by Adam or Larry.

But they do write. They write music. It may involve fewest pens and less paper, but that is how U2 write their music. Unlike the Beatles, U2 have one primary singer, and it's natural that he writes his own lyrics. But writing lyrics =/= writing a song.

I understand. You're saying that the whole band creates the songs together in the studio, although the lyrics were written only by Bono. I understand that. I'm just wondering if there were any lyrics written by the other three. Would we ever know? Probably not if everything is credited to the band as a whole.

One of U2's most endearing qualities and a major reason that they've stuck together so long is because they split everything equally regardless of whether Edge wrote 95% of the song or not.

:up:

All 4 in U2 definitely have a hand in the song writing, but I would imagine that there's no U2 song that was mostly written by Adam or Larry.

Mission Impossible Theme? :wink: Yeah I know you're talking about U2 songs. Nothing I can think of either.

I think Bono writes most of the lyrics because he's the poet of the group, that's kind of his "job." I think if someone else in the group wrote some lyrics, he'd probably be open to working it in-of course, that's just a guess. Didn't I also read that Edge wrote the lyrics to Magnificent? I might be wrong. Anyway, I don't see Larry or Adam having a strong desire to write lyrics.

I think Bono writes most of the lyrics because he's the poet of the group, that's kind of his "job." I think if someone else in the group wrote some lyrics, he'd probably be open to working it in-of course, that's just a guess. Didn't I also read that Edge wrote the lyrics to Magnificent? I might be wrong. Anyway, I don't see Larry or Adam having a strong desire to write lyrics.

I think he also contributed to Sunday Bloody Sunday in particular but quite a few others also that I can't think of off the top of my head.

The four of them leave their individual egos at the studio door, and there is only one dominant ego while creating songs - the band's ego. I'm guessing that's the primary reason why U2 have survived, and other bands like Pink Floyd disintegrated. Roger Waters had an overbearing controlling personality, and eventually Gilmour and the others effectively kicked Waters out. No member of U2 has ever been in any real danger of being sidelined because they all have an equal stake in the band. By all accounts, they break each others balls purely for the good of the song.

Larry cannot read or write :wink:

Seriously, he said he doesn't care for the lyrics at all. I think every band member has his very unique and important role. I don't see anyone's presence as overpowering, and considering Bono's absence most of the time when they are in the studio I would assume that the other three band members contribute more to the music than he does.

And I agree about the "band ego". If it weren't that way, U2 would have broken up long ago.

Magnificent's lyrics are credited to Bono and The Edge.

I think it was Edge who actually wrote the "I was born to sing for you" line.

Anyway, if you need proof that Bono does more than you probably think he does, go watch From the Sky Down again. I used to believe that Edge was the driving songwriting force in the band, but ever since watching that, I've given much more credit to Bono.

As far as I know, The Edge composes most of the music, not Bono.

Adam's input is also valuable, e.g. New Year's Day or Mysterious Ways.

So I wouldn't say it's Bono-centric at all. Outside from the lyrics, which maybe shouldn't be Bono-centric when you think about it. I'd force quit and move to trash a lot of those, especially in the last 10 years.

Seriously, he said he doesn't care for the lyrics at all.

Where did he state this?

Bono does most of the singing. Therefore, it makes sense that he writes the lyrics too. I don't think he'd be very happy singing lyrics someone else wrote for him. And no one would be happy if the singer doesn't sing it wholeheartedly like he means every word.

I just wanted to add to this thread that Harrison was the best Beatle. :wink:

In all seriousness, I think the way it works is that everyone knows exactly what their role is in studio. I agree that they all work for the benefit of the song rather than the benefit of their own instrument. It might be true that Adam and Larry take a backseat when it comes to lyrics, but I think their approval during the process is just as important. I don't think either of them would engage in a song that didn't express them or the band as a group. If you take a look at Larry's criticism of Bono when Bono was paling around with Bush, it's clear to see that Larry doesn't let Bono represent them without any of his input. He made it clear that Bono the person and Bono the lead singer of the group are two different people, and only one of those has the right to represent his views.

Or it could be that Larry and Adam are rubbish at lyrics, which is more likely the case.

Also, bringing up the Beatles again, the songwriting credits were always shared as Lennon/McCartney no matter who wrote it (barring a few Harrison and Starr songs) but they were such polar opposites when it came to musical styles and lyrics that it became obvious who was writing what. And I seem to remember reading that Lennon was annoyed when McCartney wrote "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?" because it was an obvious try at Lennonesque lyrics. He was annoyed that it was written without his consent or approval or whatever it was Lennon got annoyed with (hint: everything).

I don't see this happening with U2 because they collaborate on everything as opposed to other groups with multiple songwriters who formulate their own styles. Rogers/Gilmour was another obvious disaster pairing that really showed this to a T!

Overall I do agree that Bono is in the middle of everything, but it's probably because they've all elected him to be the lightning rod for attention. He likes it, he's personable and he can brush off negativity without blowing up. I can't say the same about Larry. ;)

In what way should others contribute more ? Like most bands, U2's singer writes most lyrics. And the two songwriters - Bono and Edge, together or separately - write most music even if technically it's all credited to the whole band.

Beatles aren't really a good example as they had two excellent songwriters and ultimately their egoes took over while suffocating the emergeing third songwriter.
Lennon was angry because McCartney recorded Why don't we do it on the road alone.

There are a few songs whose lyrics are credited to Bono and Edge (I think they're all on Bomb and No Line)

If I remember correctly (haven't got the CDs to hand right now), Edge has also got a co-writer credit for When I Look at the World and maybe something else on ATYCLB.

Anybody know if Adam gets a lyrics credit on the songs where he's sung, e.g. Endless Deep, Your Blue Room? The former in particular isn't much, but somebody might have a credit there nonetheless.

I have to say I much prefer U2's all inclusive method of songwriting. Sure, Bono and Edge probably do the majority of the writing (music and lyrics). But I imagine the way it works, musically, is that Edge probably comes up with a riff, chord progression, or maybe just a guitar effect in some cases, and then they build a song around it as a band. A song might develop in a certain way if they are jamming on it as a band, than it would if it were just Bono/Edge sitting around with acoustic guitars writing songs.

The Beatles, on the other hand, were not even really a band at all towards the end. They were basically a collection of songwriters playing on each other's songs. This eventually lead to egos getting in the way, and McCartney/Lennon keep the other two's songs at bay. But then those 2 ended up in a power struggle themselves, and they all went solo after that so that they could all get their own way.

U2 is a band, each member with their own defined role. That is the main reason that they have lasted as long and been as successful as they have.

Anybody know if Adam gets a lyrics credit on the songs where he's sung, e.g. Endless Deep, Your Blue Room? The former in particular isn't much, but somebody might have a credit there nonetheless.

Definitely not YBR. YBR's music writing credit is U2 and Brian Eno, and its lyrics writing credit is Bono. Not sure about Endless Deep. I doubt it.

U2 is a band, each member with their own defined role. That is the main reason that they have lasted as long and been as successful as they have.
But The Beatles were more successful.

The Joshua Tree might have sold an extra 43 copies if Larry had fought Bono and won the right to write the lyrics.

What causes concern these days is not so much Bono's overpowering presence as much as his overpowering girth and weight. Paul McGuinness is probably reducing his salary due to the extra fuel required on U2's flights.

But The Beatles were more successful.

The Joshua Tree might have sold an extra 43 copies if Larry had fought Bono and won the right to write the lyrics.

My point is, the members of the Beatles were better musicians and songwriters than the members of U2. U2 wouldn't be successful at all if they followed the same format the Beatles did. U2 are only successful because they have stuck together after all these years. The Beatles enjoyed vast commercial success, and continue to do so. But I'd rather have the kind of enduring success U2 have had. I think the Beatles could've left an even greater legacy if they would've stayed together and matured as artists/songwriters together.

What causes concern these days is not so much Bono's overpowering presence as much as his overpowering girth and weight. Paul McGuinness is probably reducing his salary due to the extra fuel required on U2's flights.

:angry:

I think the Beatles could've left an even greater legacy if they would've stayed together and matured as artists/songwriters together.

I doubt that they would have had an even greater legacy (they still sell songs/albums by the truckloads!) but I take your point in general. U2 has probably stayed together this long only because individual egos did not clash. Although, this also kind of ensures that we will never see solo albums by any of the four in U2. Not that I mind.

I don't see this happening with U2 because they collaborate on everything as opposed to other groups with multiple songwriters who formulate their own styles. Rogers/Gilmour was another obvious disaster pairing that really showed this to a T!

Overall I do agree that Bono is in the middle of everything, but it's probably because they've all elected him to be the lightning rod for attention. He likes it, he's personable and he can brush off negativity without blowing up. I can't say the same about Larry. ;)

Good way of looking at it! :up: Bono absorbs everything, the good and the bad.. from the media, fans, non-fans etc. But you know, this also makes certain people hate U2 as a whole because they hate Bono. which is stupid.

Edge wrote the first few lines of Sunday Bloody Sunday and Wake Up Dead Man. His normal thing is filling in gaps for Bono but on those songs it was his lyrics that laid the foundation for Bono.

Back
Top Bottom