Bono's Martello tower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oops - maybe this was supposed to be in PLEBA? Would the mods please move it for me? Thanks! (I'm still trying to figure out how all this works and my DD isn't here to help).

I don't think so. When Bono lived there and was away on tour, I think Shane Mcgowan stayed there - I think theres a story connected to that but I can't recall it!

Promenade is definitely connected to when Bono and Ali lived there.

Re: Re: Bono's Martello tower

thankyou said:

How long did they live there? Was this before they had kids?

I read somewhere they lived there three years and then moved to Killiney on Vico. Didn't they live in some converted stables on the beach at Howth before moving to the tower?

Pretty cool, moving your new bride into 1) her own home 2) on the beach 3) in something fun 4) and putting a glass roof and a balcony on it. He's good to her.

Maybe someday it will be a Bono museum. <ready to queue up with money in hand>
You guys come up with such great pix and stories and I thoroughly enjoy it; glad I could add a little something for you, too. :)

Ehem! :rolleyes: Here's a few photos I took of Bono's Mortello tower on my first visit to Ireland in 1997. :D

smortellotower00036zn.jpg

smortellotower00025th.jpg

smortellotower00019cz.jpg

As you can see I got a good all round few of it!! :whistle:

'Just call me Bono's official stalker!?! :shh:

great pics and very cool to know

I didn't even know Promenade was about this castle or house or .... place. neat stuff

pop marter said:
I don't think so. When Bono lived there and was away on tour, I think Shane Mcgowan stayed there - I think theres a story connected to that but I can't recall it!

Promenade is definitely connected to when Bono and Ali lived there.

I think he still owns it, at least he did while shane lived there.

I don't remember where I saw it but I do recall an interview clip with Shane Mcgowan, and he mentioned living there but not paying Bono any rent. He had this huge drunken, ironic grin on his face, open mouth with all his missing teeth.

There's interviews around in the 80s which mentioned because of the glass roof it got too hot in the summer and Bono and Ali had to sleep at friends' houses.

Also they didn't move there immediately, they also rented a house in Howth for some time (down the road from Phil Lynott - Bono refers to it a Hot Press interview from around JT era).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom